Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
l282335063.jpg

Welcome to National Punch Day!

Today is National Punch Day! The word “punch” allegedly comes from the Hindustani word “panch,” which means “five.” In the early 1600s, sailors and employees of the British East India Company brought a new exotic drink from India to England. The beverage was made with five ingredients—spirits, lemon, sugar, water, and tea.

The recipe for punch spread from country to country and became one of the most popular party drinks in the world. Today there are hundreds of different punch recipes. Many of them still incorporate the five key ingredients: base (alcohol), citrus, sugar, water, and spice.

Mix up your favorite concoction for National Punch Day and serve it to friends.

SU News

21141593-mmmain.jpg

Top 50 recruit Ethan Thompson, son of Stephen Thompson, picks Oregon St. over Syracuse (PS; Waters)

Blood proved to be thicker than orange juice for Ethan Thompson.

Thompson, an elite 2017 recruit and the son of former Syracuse great Stephen Thompson, announced on Monday that he would play college basketball at Oregon State University where his father is currently an assistant coach.

I am happy to announce that I have chosen to attend Oregon State University. #gobeavs #blessed ⚫pic.twitter.com/8wKpLHYy4x

— Ethan Thompson (@_ethanthompson5) September 20, 2016
Ethan Thompson, a 6-foot-4 shooting guard from Bishop Montgomery High School in Torrance, Calif., chose Oregon State over Syracuse and Stanford.Syracuse had offered a scholarship to Thompson in April of this year.

Stephen Thompson played at Syracuse from 1986 to 1990. He finished his career with 1,956 points (7th all-time at Syracuse). He still ranks second in SU history in career field goals, converting 801-of-1,431 for a .560 shooting percentage.

Ethan Thompson will join his dad and his older brother, Stephen Jr., at Oregon State. Stephen Jr. averaged 10.6 points per game as a freshman this past season, helping the Beavers to an NCAA tournament berth.

Which five-star basketball recruit is most likely to join Kentucky’s 2017 class? (kentucky.com; Roberts)

‘Bona fide star’

The fall recruiting period started a couple of weeks ago, and John Calipari’s first stop was to see five-star center Mohamed Bamba at Westtown School (Pa.).

Bamba — a 7-footer from Harlem, N.Y. — hasn’t been among the class of 2017 players mentioned as most likely to commit to UK, but he is the No. 2 overall prospect in At their request, this network is being blocked from this site.’s rankings for that group.

“Mohamed Bamba is such a unique and special talent,” said At their request, this network is being blocked from this site.’s Evan Daniels. “It’s not a surprise that would be a guy Calipari would prioritize right out of the gate. He’s a guy that Kentucky would love to add to their class.”

Bamba’s recruitment has been hard to read.

Most of the early predictions pegged Duke as the clear favorite, but that doesn’t appear to be the reality. The Blue Devils are in the mix. Several others are, too.

Bamba took a surprise official visit — the first of his recruitment — to Michigan earlier this month. He followed that up with an unofficial visit to Harvard (and, yes, he’s serious about playing for the Crimson). Then, Calipari stopped by on the first morning of the fall recruiting period.

“It’s hard to handicap his recruitment in terms of who might be leading, or if there even is a leader,” Daniels aid. “He’s starting to take control and really get involved and start to figure out where he really wants to go.”

If the rankings hold, Bamba appears to be UK’s only shot at landing a top-five recruit in the 2017 class. The other four players in the At their request, this network is being blocked from this site. top five (and the 247Sports composite rankings) are DeAndre Ayton, Wendell Carter, Trevon Duval and Michael Porter Jr. Ayton is committed to Arizona, Porter is committed to Washington, and UK is not pursuing Carter or Duval.

College Basketball Teams Returning the Most Talent for the 2016-17 Season (BR; Miller)

1. Wisconsin
4. Monmouth
7. V Tech
20. Pitt

Other

21142663-mmmain.jpg

Northside leaders ask: What will the rebuilding of I-81, I-690 do to neighborhood? (PS; Hannagan)

Community leaders will host a forum Wednesday to discuss the common features of the rebuilding of Interstates 81and 690 as they impact Syracuse's north side.

The meeting is from 6-7 p.m. at The Samaritan Center, 215 N. State St., near James Street. Parking is available adjacent to the site. The event is not sponsored by the New York State Department of Transportation.

The leaders' concerns are:

• The plan to build the "missing links" (fly-over lanes for I-690 east bound traffic to I-81 north and I-81 south bound traffic to I-690 west) to replace the current Bear Street connection. The Bear Street connection is a stretch of 2.2 miles with 4 traffic lights and 1 stop sign that takes 3.5 minutes to go from one exit/entrance to the other.
  • The plan for additional lanes between I-690 and Hiawatha Blvd
  • The rebuilding of several bridges, as well as the realignment of the Butternut Street bridge.
  • The impacts of reconfiguring the I-81/I-690 interchange on historic buildings
Doug Sutherland of Franklin Properties will present a power point on the proposals. Others raising questions include: Steve Infanti of St. Joseph's Hospital Health Center, Maren King of the Mission Landing Home Owners Association, Paul Shubmerl of Mission Landing, George Angelro of the Northside Business Partnership, Mike LaFlair of Northeast Hawley Development Association, Inc., Jonathan Link Logan of Northside UP, Peter Sarver of Moving People and architect Bob Haley.