Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
International-nurses-week-Sayings-quotes.png

Welcome to International Nurses Day!

In January 1974, May 12 was chosen as the day as it is the anniversary of Florence Nightingale’s birth – the woman who is seen as the founder of modern nursing.

Here are some facts you may not know about the woman who was hailed as a heroine in Victorian times.

1. Florence grew up in a wealthy family in Romsey, Hampshire, mingling with other rich children and spending her time attending parties and seeing friends.

2. That all changed on February 7 1837, when she was 16 – she became convinced that the voice of God was calling to her, and believed that He wanted her to carry out special work.
3. When she reached her twenties, she began to believe that God wanted her to be a nurse, after taking an interest in how the sick people in the villages around her home were taken care of.

Read more: International Nurses Day: Facts you may not know about Florence Nightingale

SU News

east-carolina-pirates-guard-elijah-hughes-is-pumped-up-in-a-game-the-picture-id646921394

Why Syracuse is using a scholarship to get a freshman transfer from East Carolina (cbssports.com; Norlander)

Syracuse is building for its future by acquiring a transfer from ... East Carolina?

Indeed.

Multiple reports, first via Syracuse.com on Thursday, have former ECU power wing Elijah Hughes committing to Cuse. In picking Cuse, Hughes cancelled his scheduled official visit to Iona. This brings to mind the recent surprising headline in which Duke landed a recruit who was convinced he would be committing to Eastern Kentucky before Mike Krzyzewski hit him up.

But Hughes, a bruising 6-foot-6 forward, could wind up being a solid role player for the Orange come 2018. (Because he is transferring, standard protocol forces him to redshirt the upcoming season.) Hughes chose Cuse over Seton Hall as well. He's from Beacon, N.Y., but attended South Kent preparatory school in Connecticut with Matthew Moyer, who will be a sophomore at SU next season.

"When I asked myself what I didn't like about Syracuse, I couldn't answer the question,'' Hughes told Syracuse.com. "I liked the coaching staff. I know some of the guys on the team already. It's close to home. It felt like family.''

Here's the interesting wrinkle: Hughes was not a standout at ECU as a frosh. He averaged 7.8 points for a sub-.500 team, shooting 43.6 percent from 2 and 27.3 percent from 3. Hughes has the physicality to handle playing in the ACC, but one season in the American leaves a lot to be desired. Syracuse, which is still on scholarship restriction from the NCAA, is taking a bit of a gamble on what's known as an up-transfer: a player who leaves a smaller program or conference to go to a bigger one.

Syracuse Lands East Carolina Transfer Elijah Hughes | Zagsblog (zagsblog.com; Zagoria)

Elijah Hughes, who spent his freshman season at East Carolina, will transfer to Syracuse and be eligible beginning in the 2018-19 season for three years.

The 6-foot-6 Hughes visited Seton Hall earlier this week before visiting Syracuse on Wednesday. He also considered Iona.

“I sat down and thought about it and just decided that Syracuse was the right spot,” Hughes told Syracuse.com.

“When I asked myself what I didn’t like about Syracuse, I couldn’t answer the question,” he said. “I liked the coaching staff. I know some of the guys on the team already. It’s close to home. It felt like family.”

Hughes, a Beacon, N.Y., native who averaged 7.8 points and 2.3 rebounds last season, played his final high school season at South Kent (Conn.) alongside Syracuse’s Matthew Moyer and Seton Hall’s Myles Powell.

Nahziah-Carter-1024x683.jpg

Jay-Z's Nephew Nahziah Carter Visits Georgetown, Boston College | Zagsblog (zagsblog.com; Zagoria)

It isn’t every day that the nephew of a major hip-hop mogul visits your college.

But Georgetown hosted such a visitor over the weekend when Nahziah Carter — Jay-Z’s nephew — visited the Big East school and new coach Patrick Ewing. The athletic 6-foot-7 wing, who is the son of Shawn Carter’s older brother Eric Carter, also tripped to Boston College on Wednesday.

“It’s getting out there, I guess,” Carter told the Democrat & Chronicle in February about his relationship to Jay-Z. “Whenever I go to see my grandmother (Gloria Carter), he’s usually there (in New Jersey).”

He calls him “Uncle J.”

Carter, who is only 17, averaged about 19 points, 6 rebounds and 4 assists for Rochester (N.Y.) Bishop Kearney, which went 16-7 and reached the New York Section V Class AA semifinal.

How Terry Henderson’s case compares with other recent 6th-year waivers (newsobserver.com; Giglio)

The NCAA granted a sixth-year waiver to Michigan State graduate transfer Ben Carter on Monday.

In theory, that’s a good sign for N.C. State guard Terry Henderson’s chances for a waiver from the NCAA. In theory, because the NCAA doesn’t always follow its own precedents.

Still, Carter’s success is encouraging for the Wolfpack, which as it stands at 8:45 a.m. on May 9 has eight eligible players on scholarship for the 2017-18 basketball season.

Henderson averaged 13.8 points per game and led the Wolfpack in 3-pointers (78) last season. The 6-5, 190-pound guard from Raleigh would be a good fit in new coach Kevin Keatts’ up-tempo, 3-point heavy system.

N.C. State submitted the paperwork for Henderson’s waiver after its season ended in the ACC tournament on March 7. The NCAA has given the school no timetable for the decision. There was no update to report as of Tuesday morning.

What's the deal, NCAA? Terry Henderson, Ben Carter and Dylan Ennis, in YP form pic.twitter.com/pBshqMg1wj

— Joe Giglio (@jwgiglio) May 9, 2017

Other

bud-and-the-manchild-2d4af161402437bd.jpg

The Future of the “Bud and the Manchild” Radio Show Has Been Decided (itlh.com; Peelman)

“Bud and the Manchild”, a sports talk radio show in Syracuse, will be back soon and is switching stations. Inside The Loud House has the details.

Syracuse fans love their sports teams. That’s why its a good thing “Bud and the Manchild” will be back on the air soon. BMC, Syracuse’s longest running sports talk show, according to Syracuse.com, has been off the air in recent weeks, but will return on May 30th in its usual time slot: Weekdays 10am-12 noon.

The show was on ESPN 1200 since 2015, but is moving back to The Score 1260, a Cumulus affiliated station. “Bud and the Manchild” is independently owned and Jim Learch, one of the hosts, “the Manchild”, said in a press release that a change was needed for the show, according to Syracuse.com.

“A change was needed to get the show back on track in terms of our core values. Cumulus Media and the Score 1260 were great partners in the past, we are very excited to join forces (again). It was very tough leaving The Score 1260 in 2015, and we consider that decision a mistake. We are thrilled to be working with Cumulus Media once again.”

The show started out on Clear Channel’s Sports Radio 620 in 2002, but was also heard on Cumulus Media’s The Score 1260 until 2015, according to Syracuse.com. The fact that the show has gone back to where it was successful is a good move in my opinion. For radio shows to stay alive sometimes they need to go where the listeners are. The fact the producers recognize this shows they are doing what they can to ensure its survival.

Paul Esden Jr., Inside The Loud House’s Site Editor and Expert, who is also a Producer of the “Bud and the Manchild” show, posted this official statement from the show’s twitter feed earlier Wednesday.

Here's our update on the future of the show. See you guys on @TheScore1260 starting May 30th! Thanks for being patient BMC fans

pic.twitter.com/URzO2TyW2v

— Bud and the Manchild (@Budandmanchild) May 10, 2017