Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
koolaid.jpg

Welcome to National Kool-Aid Day!

Enjoy a refreshing glass of Kool-Aid today! National Kool-Aid Day coincides with the first day of Kool-Aid Days each year, which is always celebrated on the second weekend of August in Hastings, Nebraska, the city where Kool-Aid was created. Hastings' Kool-Aid Days began in 1998, the same year that Kool-Aid was named Nebraska's official state drink.

Edward Perkins lived in Hastings and spent his time experimenting with making products in his mother's kitchen and selling them by mail-order. He created the Perkins Products Company in 1920, and shortly thereafter created Fruit Smack, a liquid concentrate used to make a flavored drink by mixing it with sugar and water. The four-ounce bottles were expensive to ship and sometimes broke in transit. To reduce costs, Perkins made a powdered form in 1927, being inspired by Jello-O. It was sold in packets and was available in six flavors: cherry, grape, lemon-lime, orange, raspberry, and strawberry. The name was first changed to "Kool Ade," production was moved to Chicago in 1931, and Perkins trademarked the name Kool-Aid in 1934.

SU News

Syracuse Basketball Recruiting: Quincy Guerrier puts SU in his top 10 (itlh.com; Adler)

A positive development on the Syracuse basketball recruiting front, as 2019’s Quincy Guerrier includes the Orange among his 10 finalists.

We will soon set our sights on the upcoming collegiate-hoops campaign, but in the meantime, there are slices of recruiting news to share here and there.

The most recent juice is from Quincy Guerrier, a Syracuse Orange target in the class of 2019. Earlier this week, the four-star prospect revealed via Twitter his top 10 programs.

Thankfully, the ‘Cuse is on Guerrier’s list. The other nine schools are Auburn, Creighton, Illinois, Maryland, Minnesota, Oregon, South Carolina, Vanderbilt and Virginia Tech.

From my perspective, that’s quite an intriguing group of crews, spread across five leagues that includes the ACC, Big East, Big Ten, Pac-12 and SEC. You’ve also got several teams, like Oregon, South Carolina, and Syracuse, that have reached a Final Four over the past few years.

Kudos to Guerrier for mixing things up. I also imagine that it’s anybody’s guess at this juncture where he will likely end up. Hopefully, it’s on the Hill.

In 2017, the Orange offered a scholarship to Guerrier, a 6-foot-7 small forward who currently attends the Thetford Academy in Thetford Mines, Quebec, Canada. He’s a native of Montreal, Quebec, Canada by the way.

2011-11-19-dn-subasket20.JPG

Brandon Reese ships bus to South America, tapes cocaine production, makes memories (PS; Ditota)

Brandon Reese despises the conventional.

The former Syracuse basketball walk-on wants, like many people, to live life on his own terms, to have adventures, to be beholden to nothing but the whim of the moment.

Reese and a few buddies set about to make that happen last year, the goal being touring South America by school bus and creating opportunities for like-minded adventurers to tag along. Often, those people climb on board to produce video or audio content other people will presumably consume.

"I, myself, couldn't stand complacency," Reese said. "Whatever it was that I set out to do, that was the thing. I wanted to play college basketball, professional basketball. And then I wanted to be a podcaster. I wanted to drive a bus. I just set out to do what I wanted to do.

"Here on the bus, we want to give people that opportunity, whether it's a job they want to create under our umbrella -- let's all work together in this shared marketplace, this shared network of how business and opportunities develop and prosper in this day and age."

Hokies promote Devin Johnson to full-time basketball assistant (pilotonline.com; Wood)

After spending seven seasons working under basketball coach Buzz Williams, Devin Johnson’s responsibilities are expanding at Virginia Tech.

Johnson was promoted Thursday to fill a vacant assistant coaching job after spending the four seasons as Tech’s director of player personnel. Next season will be Johnson’s first as a full-time assistant.

“I am unbelievably blessed and thankful for this new opportunity,” Johnson said in a statement. “Coach Williams has helped me grow and prepare over the years for opportunities such as these. ... I want to keep learning and help this program continue on the path of getting better.”

Tech went 21-12 last season and lost to Alabama in the first round of the NCAA tournament in Williams’ fourth season as the Hokies’ head coach. Williams has lost two assistants this offseason — Jeff Reynolds in June to Texas A&M, and Steve Roccaforte last month to East Carolina.

Other

The crucial sentence that could decide whether Charter Spectrum stays in New York (PS; Moriarty)

A legal battle that could decide whether Charter Communications, the largest cable company in New York, leaves the state or stays may hang on a single sentence in a key document.

The sentence appears on Page 53 of a 69-page New York State Public Service Commission order approving the merger of Charter with Time Warner Cable in 2016:

"In order to ensure the expansion of service to customers in less densely populated and/or line extension areas within the combined company's footprint, the commission will require New Charter to extend its network to pass ... an additional 145,000 'unserved' (download speeds of 0-24.9 Mbps) and 'underserved' (download speeds of 25-99.9 Mbps) residential housing units and/or businesses within four years of the close of the transaction."

In an unprecedented action, the commission on July 27 ordered Charter to leave the state within six months, pay a $1 million fine and file within 60 days a plan to transition its Spectrum-brand network of cable television, broadband and telephone service to another provider.

It was a drastic step. The commission ruled that Charter has repeatedly failed to meet its requirement to extend its network to rural areas with little to no high-speed internet service. Charter has instead been performing much of its build-out in New York City, entirely served by one or more broadband providers already, the commission said.