Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
220px-Julia_Child_portrait_by_%C2%A9Lynn_Gilbert%2C_1978.jpg

Welcome to International Coq Au Vin Day!

Today is International Coq Au Vin Day! Coq Au Vin is French for “rooster with wine." It is a popular dish made with braised chicken that is slowly cooked with red wine, mushrooms, pork fat, and various spices. According to some legends, Coq Au Vin has ties to Julius Caesar or Napoleon, but most historians agree that the dish has more humble roots. Roosters are only butchered when they are quite old and rather inedible. Peasant families most likely invented the Coq Au Vin recipe to avoid wasting the meat.

Coq Au Vin became popular in the United States thanks to Julia Child, who featured the dish in her cookbook Mastering the Art of French Cooking. It also appeared many times on her TV show "The French Chef." Today, it is a popular dish in many French restaurants, but it is also a fabulous dish to cook at home.

SU News

IMG_20190528_115600-1.jpeg

Class of 2020 power forward Woody Newton verbally commits to Syracuse (DO; Majumder)

Four-star recruit Woody Newton announced his verbal commitment to Syracuse via Twitter on Tuesday. The 6-foot-8, 190-pound forward from Mt. Zion Prep (Maryland) was recruited primarily by assistant coach Allen Griffin, per 247sports.com. He’s ranked No. 73 in his class by and is the first Class of 2020 commitment for Syracuse. He chose the Orange over seven other Division I schools, including Xavier, Maryland, Seton Hall, Cincinnati, Penn State, Kansas State and Virginia Tech.

“I will bring to any program a tough player that will lock up any best player in the country,” Newton said at the Nike Elite Youth Basketball League session in Dallas last weekend. “I’m always giving my all, 110%, and I’m ready to work, no matter what.”

In 13 EYBL games this summer, Newton averaged 5.7 points and 3.5 rebounds per game. He shot 47.1% from the field and 40% on 20 3-pointers. He also made 18 of his 35 free throw attempts.

Newton called himself the best defender in the country at the EYBL session in Dallas last weekend, and with a long, lanky frame, he affected shots at the rim and had the lateral movement to stay in front of guards on the perimeter. In EYBL this year, he averaged 0.9 steals and 0.4 blocks per game and earned playing time at crucial moments on a talented Team Takeover squad with his defensive presence.

“Just being long, wily, as well as being able to guard multiple positions my whole life, I always prided myself on defense,” Newton said over the weekend.

Player Profile: 2020 PF Commit Woody Newton – Orange Fizz – Free Syracuse Recruiting News (orangefizz.net; Leonard)

247sports.com’s Crystal Ball was right after all. Woody Newton announced Tuesday through his twitter page, the four-star forward is committing to Syracuse.

The Next Chapter. I’m Headed To… pic.twitter.com/xFqf0nGNfL

— Woody Newton (@WNewton_23) May 28, 2019

Height: 6-8
Weight: 190
Position: PF
Hometown: Baltimore, MD (Mt. Zion Prep)
Ratings:
247Sports.com: 79

Former Syracuse star Donovan McNabb wishes he went to NBA over NFL (PS; Herbert)

Donovan McNabb had an impressive NFL career that included six Pro Bowl selections and five NFC Championship appearances, but before that he played two sports at Syracuse University.

As a quarterback, McNabb set many offensive records on the Syracuse football team, including including the longest touchdown pass in SU history, and was a finalist for the 1998 Heisman Trophy. But he also played two seasons of college basketball as a walk-on for Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim, including the John Wallace-led team that reached the 1996 NCAA Championship against Kentucky.

Ultimately, though, McNabb focused on football. He ended up being the No. 2 NFL Draft pick in 1999 and had an impressive career that included 37,276 yards, 234 passing TDs and 117 career interceptions in 13 NFL seasons with the Philadelphia Eagles, Washington Redskins and Minnesota Vikings, plus a trip to Super Bowl XXXIX in 2005. His No. 5 jersey was retired by both Syracuse and Philly.

In a newly published interview with TMZ Sports, though, McNabb says he would’ve preferred to be in the NBA if he could’ve had the same success as he did in the NFL.

“I grew up watching Michael Jordan,” McNabb said. “It’s a great platform of playing with other great athletes... at the end of the day, it’s about playing team ball and moving that ball around, what we’re seeing right now from Golden State [Warriors] and how effective they’re playing.”

AP_19074758060690.jpg

Marquette sharpshooter Sam Hauser to transfer to Virginia - ACCSports.com (accsports.com; Geisinger)

A busy offseason in Charlottesville continues to remain, well, busy. On Tuesday, Virginia landed a commitment from one of the top transfers available in 2019: Marquette forward Sam Hauser. The announcement was made on Hauser’s Twitter page.

Hauser will redshirt during the 2019-20 season. He has one more year of eligibility remaining.

This is a bit of a surprise, though; it seemed for most of his recruitment that Sam and his brother, Joey, were a package deal. However, the younger Hauser brother committed to Michigan State.

Sam Hauser to Virginia. Will sit one to play one. https://t.co/JE1nouX1YN

— Jeff Goodman (@GoodmanHoops) May 28, 2019

Sam Houser has already scored over 1,200 career points in college; during the 2018-19 campaign, he averaged 14.9 points and 7.2 rebounds (19.5 percent defensive rebound rate). At 6-foot-8, Hauser is an excellent shooter (40.2 3P%, 57.6 eFG% this season) and fringy NBA prospect.

18431972_G.jpg

Union-Endicott Cheerleaders Heading To Syracuse University (wicz.com; Farrell)

Union-Endicott senior cheerleaders and best friends, Arianna Boyce and Mikayla Oldenburg signed their National Letters of Intent to cheer for Syracuse University. The Syracuse University Orange, NCAA Division I program competes under the Universal Cheerleading Association (UCA.)

"I loved the cheerleading program" said Arianna. "Syracuse is also close to home and not too far. It's awesome because I've grown up going to the Syracuse games."

"Everywhere I go I see people wearing Syracuse apparel, which is really cool because now I'm going there." said Mikayla.

Arianna served as the Tigers co-captian and has five STAC championship titles, three Sectional IV titles, once UCA Regional Championship and competed in four NYSPHSAA Cheerleading Championship tournaments. Arianna was also named a UCA High School All-American.

Mikayla, has four STAC Championship titles, three Sectional IV titles, one UCA Regional Championship and competed in three NYSPHSAA Cheerleading Championships.

"It's amazing signing with Arianna" said Mikayla. We've been cheering together for so long and now we're going to be cheering together for another four years. We've always been neighbors and have always been close."

Arianna plans to dual major in entrepreneurship/emerging enterprises and computer science. Mikayla plans to major in biology.

Other

The Fitz on 321 S. Salina St. came a long way from its former life as a fast food restaurant. Video by Katrina Tulloch | ktulloch@syracuse.com.