Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
d60b4150de621b01337396103d804227-1.jpg

Welcome to Canada Day!

Canada Day celebrates the country's movement to self-government. On July 1, 1867, Canada became a self-governing Dominion of Great Britain, after the passage of the British North America Act. It also became a federation with four provinces: New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Ontario, and Quebec. These provinces were made from the British colonies of New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and the Province of Canada (previously Upper Canada and Lower Canada). The Act allowed for other provinces and territories to join the country in the future. Indeed, more land was added, and Canada now consists of ten provinces and three territories.

On June 20, 1868, the Governor General said the anniversary of Canada becoming a Dominion should be celebrated. It became a statutory holiday in 1879 and was known as Dominion Day at the time. The first official celebrations weren't held until 1917, on the Dominion's fiftieth anniversary. It began being celebrated more frequently after World War II, and even more so after the 100th anniversary in 1967. It began being called Canada Day by celebrants and has been officially known as Canada Day since 1983. This was stipulated by the Canada Act of 1982. Canada also became a fully independent country with this act, no longer being under the dominion of Great Britain.

SU News

EJVJXYHBEVDHVM2ED3SELPPN6A.JPG

How to watch former Syracuse basketball players, CNY stars in NBA Summer League (PS; Ditota)

The NBA’s Summer League kicks off tonight in Salt Lake City and Sacramento. Thus begins what amounts to tryouts for several former Syracuse basketball players or those with Central New York ties.

Below, you’ll find a schedule, with TV locations, of every game that includes Malachi Richardson (Warriors), Tyus Battle (Timberwolves), Oshae Brissett (Clippers), Tyler Cavanaugh (Knicks) and Matt Morgan (Raptors). Richardson, Battle and Brissett are Syracuse products. Cavanaugh is a Syracuse native who played at Jamesville-DeWitt High School, while Morgan played at Cornell. If you’re looking for the entire summer league schedule, click here.

The schedule includes games in the California Classic, played in Sacramento before the big Las Vegas Summer League gets underway later this week. (Note -- all the times mentioned here are Eastern times.)

California Classic
July 1

11 p.m. - Warriors (Richardson) vs. Kings, NBA TV
July 2
9 p.m. - Lakers vs. Warriors (Richardson), NBA TV
July 3
5 p.m. - Warriors (Richardson) vs. Heat, NBA TV
Las Vegas Summer League
July 5

5 p.m. - Cavaliers vs. Timberwolves (Battle), NBA TV
9 p.m. - Warriors (Richardson) vs. Hornets, NBA TV
9:30 p.m. - Pelicans vs. Knicks (Cavanaugh), ESPN
July 6
7:30 p.m. - Lakers vs. Clippers (Brissett), ESPNU
Midnight - Warriors (Richardson) vs. Raptors (Morgan), ESPN

Syracuse Basketball: Oshae Brissett will feel at home with LA Clippers (itlh; Weisleder)

How Oshae Brissett can go from lacing ’em up next to Burlington’s Mfiondu Kabengele in Vegas to playing alongside Toronto’s Shai Gilgeous-Alexander in LA.

Since the inception of the ‘two-round NBA Draft’ 30 years ago, 31 Canadian players have heard their name called during the annual event.
The last 10 draft nights have included at least one player from north of the border. On June 20, a record six Canadian players heard their name called:

• No. 17 Nickeil Alexander-Walker (Toronto, ON)
  • No. 21 Brandon Clarke (Vancouver, BC)
  • No. 27 Mfiondu Kabengele Burlington, ON)
  • No. 47 Ignas Brazdeikis Oakville, ON)
  • No. 54 Marial Shayok (Ottawa, ON)
Four-and-a-half hours after New Orleans made Zion Williamson a Pelican with the first overall pick, a handful of Canadian-bred talents found new homes, and Sacramento made Vanja Marinkovic a King with the 60th pick, a flock of undrafted NBA hopefuls including Oshae Brissett remained.

From recent champion Toronto to league-worst New York, no team was willing to use their selection(s) on Syracuse basketball’s, and one of the Atlantic Coast Conference’s most prized spark plugs since 2017.

Oshae Brissett ended his Thursday night as an undrafted free agent and woke up a member of the Los Angeles Clippers’ Summer League roster.

Could Syracuse basketball legend Carmelo Anthony join Boeheim's Army? - The Juice Online (the juice; podcast; Cheng)

Boeheim’s Army General Manager Kevin Belbey joins The Juice on the Cuse podcast to discuss the 2019 TBT, including the chances of Carmelo Anthony joining the roster. Editor in chief Brad Bierman then calls in to chat about Syracuse football and the ACC Network launch.

Here are the highlights from the show:

Wesley Cheng: Kevin, you have one more player that you can add to the roster. Is there any change that it’s Carmelo Anthony?

Kevin Belbey: I go to bed every night praying that it will be. I would be really surprised myself. He really wants to get back into the NBA and hasn’t given up the pursuit of that. He has an open invitation to join the team. He has a history with TBT. Two years ago, he was the ambassador during the Final Four in Baltimore. We’ve got Hakim on our roster who was on the national championship with him. He knows all about what we’re doing and what we’re about. We would love to have him, but I think he’ll be on an NBA roster.

ACC Basketball: All-time starting five for each program (1980-2019) (bustingbrackets.com; Hunter)

ACC basketball has been home to some of the top players in all of college hoops history. Which players make up the all-time starting five for each program?

Sometimes it is incredibly difficult to think of topics during the college basketball offseason. Quality content is often replaced with top 25 lists that are half a year early or court cases that end up not mattering. I prefer controversy.

Today, I want to take a look at all 15 ACC programs and put together their all-time teams. This is sure to work someone into a lather and that is what I am here for. My only request is that when you respond to this piece, and I encourage that, that you give me your entire top five as well. For instance, when I put Trevon Duval as Duke’s point guard instead of Jay Williams and you scream “Jay Williams” at me, you have to provide your other four selections as well. I’m just kidding, I would never do that, but it would amuse me to no end.
A couple of notes from writing this piece.

• Duke, Wake Forest, and North Carolina were the easiest lists to compile.
  • Virginia Tech had easily the smallest pool of elite players to select from.
  • Georgia Tech and Virginia were the two most difficult to pare down.
  • Way too many greats listed on this piece were cut down due to injuries.
  • Even though this is an ACC piece, we all miss out by not having the old Big East.
Here are the rules:
  • All players are eligible regardless of whether or not they played while the program was an ACC member.
  • I am only going back to 1980.
  • You don’t talk about Fight Club.
  • That’s it. Those are the rules.
Teams will be listed in alphabetical order and I will do my best to justify each pick. This will also not be some crazy position-less basketball example. In most cases, it will be two guards, two forwards, and a pivot. You will not see a team with five point guards or five centers. There may be instances where we stretch a little bit. You may see a third guard there or simply two point guards.

Syracuse falls to No. 54 in Director’s Cup rankings, worst since 2010-11 (PS; Carlson)

Syracuse finished the 2018-19 school year 54th in the standings for the Director’s Cup competition, its worst finish since the 2010-11 year. The Director’s Cup is a points system that purports to determine the country’s most successful athletic department.
Whether the Director’s Cup is an accurate judge, however, is a matter of individual perspective.

For one, the ranking system doesn’t really reflect what the majority of fans value.
The system awards points depending on how various teams do in the NCAA postseason. All sports are weighted equally, meaning a national title in football and basketball earns the same number of points as squash and beach volleyball.
Syracuse is at a disadvantage in the Director’s Cup because it offers a relatively small number of sports compared to power-five peers, although that limited number also helps the school resource those teams at a competitive level.
While slightly lower than usual in the standings, the ranking also isn’t a dramatic fall from where Syracuse customarily finishes. Syracuse peaked at 21st in 2015-16, a year in which the school won national titles in men’s cross-country and field hockey. The school has generally placed in the 40s or 50s over the past decade.

Other

S4RF6E5P3NDODNSDFRSQNGL33A.JPG

ShoppingTown Mall ignored judge’s order to pay $9.7M in back taxes: What happens next? (PS; Doran)

The owners of ShoppingTown Mall ignored a judge’s order last week to pay more than $9.7 million in back taxes, and instead filed more court papers asking for delays.
What happens next?

Contempt of court

Erie 3649 LLC - which represents Benderson Development and brought the lawsuit resulting in the order - could ask the judge to find ShoppingTown in contempt of court for not paying the order.

Benderson Development, the owner of the former Macy’s building that’s part of the mall, sued, asking the judge to compel the mall owners to pay the back taxes on the mall. Benderson’s lawyers have not commented on what they will do next.
Instead of paying the taxes, ShoppingTown’s owners filed court papers in the case, choosing to post a bond so the order to pay taxes is “stayed” while it’s being appealed.

The mall owners’ latest filing asks the judge for a hearing on Tuesday to determine if the amount of that bond. .

Moonbeam Capital Investments LLC, which owns the mall, has said in court papers the bond “should in fact be zero dollars, but Shoppingtown is nonetheless willing to post an undertaking of $10,000.”

The mall owners owe more than $9.7 million in taxes dating back to 2015, according to court papers.

"They have defied a judge’s order to pay the back taxes,'' Onondaga County Executive Ryan McMahon said earlier this week. “And they have not negotiated in good faith. It’s been abysmal.”