Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Leif-Erikson-Day-Boat-Clipart.jpg

Welcome to Leif Erikson Day!

Leif Erikson Day is an annual holiday honoring Norse explorer and Viking Leif Erikson, the man who is believed to have led the first Europeans to continental North America, shortly after 1000 CE, centuries before the arrival of Christopher Columbus. The holiday takes place on October 9—not on the anniversary of a date related to Erikson, but on the anniversary of the arrival of the Restauration to New York City from Stavanger, Norway, in 1825. This ship marked the first organized immigration from Norway to the United States.

In 1874, Rasmus Anderson published America Not Discovered by Columbus, which raised the popularity of the idea that the Vikings were the first Europeans to set foot on continental North America. Nordic Americans began celebrating Erikson around this time. Acknowledgment of Erikson was brought to the national level when President Calvin Coolidge appeared at the Norse-American Centennial in 1925, and credited Leif Erikson as the first European to have discovered America.

SU News

Syracuse’s Jim Boeheim: ‘We’ll need to make some 3s’ (PS; Waters)

The 3-point shot is going to be a big part of Syracuse’s offense this season. It has to be.

That’s according to Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim.

“We’re going to need to make some threes,’’ Boeheim said Tuesday during the ACC’s media day. “Last year we could win without making threes. I don’t know if we can this year. I don’t think we can win this year without making some threes.’’

In recent years Syracuse has been mediocre at best from 3-point range. Just one time in the past nine years, the Orange has shot better than 36 percent on 3-pointers as a team. That one year was the 2016-17 season when Syracuse, with a perimeter attacked featuring Andrew White, Tyler Lydon, John Gillon and Tyus Battle, connected on 38.1 percent of its 3-point shots.

Hughes_2-678x341.jpg

Orange Watch: Syracuse basketball locked in for start of 2019-2020 season - The Juice Online (thejuice; Bierman)

Item: As always, players and coaches are pop full of optimism at the annual preseason conference media days, and it was no exception Tuesday at the 58th edition of the ACC’s Operation Basketball event in Charlotte, that for one day anyway put ACC hoops in the fall focus instead of football.

As most folks on hand, including both the media and team coaches, players and conference officials, were discussing in Charlotte this week, how does the league shape up after another national championship in the books courtesy of Virginia, heading into the debut of its new 20 game regular season schedule, with game one right off the bat early next month?

One team name that kept being mentioned as somewhat of a mystery was Syracuse. Sure, everyone knows the Orange lose four starters, but the returning Elijah Hughes, in attendance at Charlotte, is going to be the dynamic scorer on this team, with some experience in the backcourt and off the bench, and significant contributions by season’s end among the freshmen class.

“I think the thing with Elijah, last year he really was about our fourth option offensively, (and) he’s our second leading scorer, which tells you a lot about what his ability is to score,” Boeheim said at the SU press conference Tuesday. “His role is different this year. He’ll have the ball more.”

To Hughes himself, he knows his leadership role for a team full of freshman and sophomores is as important as putting up points game-in and game-out. Not only did the team’s summer trip to Italy provide him with his first trip out of the country, but the built-in bonding experience and watching the new talent unfold in front of him made for an enjoyable summer.

“Coming in anywhere as a freshman is kind of difficult, especially coming to our zone and stuff like that, but everyone, they’re all special, real special, talented group, Hughes beamed Tuesday talking about the five ‘Cuse newcomers. “They all each bring something different and unique to the table. I’m just really excited to get going with them and everyone else that we have and have a good season.”

Syracuse Basketball: 2019 class will surprise people, Jim Boeheim says (itlh; Adler)

At the Atlantic Coast Conference media day, Syracuse basketball head coach Jim Boeheim shared a bunch of thoughts on his 2019-20 unit.

One of the things that I adore the most about Syracuse basketball head coach Jim Boeheim is that he’s brutally honest, and he calls things as he sees them. This may turn some folks off, but not me. I appreciate the candidness.

On Tuesday, the Atlantic Coast Conference held its annual basketball media day, with Boeheim, redshirt junior forward Elijah Hughes and junior forward Marek Dolezaj representing the Orange at this event. Several topics that this trio discussed are worth delving into further.

The ‘Cuse has a five-member 2019 recruiting class that, in large part, has flown under the radar on a national level. Boeheim, however, says these dudes will impress. “I think, if you look at the ratings of guys we’ve had in the past, like Oshae Brissett was 120 or something. Some guys just don’t get rated because of where they play or where they’re from. This group is a much, much better class than their ratings would indicate. I think they’ll prove that on the court.”

I’m with Boeheim here. On the 247Sports Web site, Syracuse’s 2019 class is slotted at No. 33 across the country, and I think these five freshmen have the potential to well exceed that ranking.

Dolezaj added this. “I think we have a really good young group, Joe [Girard III], Brycen [Goodine], really good guards. They know how to play. Joe, unlimited range. He can shoot the three. He’s a really good scorer. Brycen is really good, athletic. And Quincy [Guerrier], really strong guy. He’s really similar to Oshae. He’ll help us a lot. He’s strong. He can shoot. He can go to the basket. And our two centers [John Bol Ajak and Jesse Edwards], they’re great young guys, and they just need a little bit of time, and they will get used to it, to the zone, to the offense and the defense, but I think they will be really good for us.”

THE BIG COUNTDOWN: STL’s Preseason All-ACC Ballot (streakingthelawn.com; Darney)

The ACC’s Operation Basketball (read: ACC Basketball Media Day) takes place this coming Tuesday (October 8). As part of the proceedings, media members are asked to vote for the preseason All-ACC team, Player of the Year, Rookie of the Year, and predicted order of finish. In the name of full transparency, here is the ballot I submitted:

All-ACC Team
Jordan Nwora, Jr., F, Louisville
Tre Jones, So., G, Duke
Aamir Simms, Jr., F, Clemson
Cole Anthony, Fr., G, North Carolina
Mamadi Diakite, RS Sr., F, Virginia

For the first time ever, there are no players from the first or second All-ACC team returning to the conference. Seven of the players — Zion Williamson, RJ Barrett, De’Andre Hunter, Kyle Guy, Cam Johnson, Ty Jerome, and Coby White — went in the 2019 NBA Draft. The remaining three either graduated (Luke Maye), left early for the pros (Ky Bowman), or transferred (Kerry Blackshear). Only Louisville’s Jordan Nwora and Notre Dame’s John Mooney are back from the third team.

Nwora was the easiest pick for All-ACC (more on him in a minute), and Tre Jones seems like a no-brainer as he returns to build off of a solid freshman year at Duke. Aamir Simms has always impressed, and I like Cole Anthony to be ready to go from day one. Diakite is going to assume a lot of responsibility on this year’s Virginia squad, and if he steps up to the plate, he should have a resume to earn a spot here.

ACC Men’s Basketball Notebook: Coach K Thinks the League is ‘Wide Open' (pittsburghsportsnow.com; Northam)

Zion Williamson, DeAndre Hunter and Cam Johnson are all gone.

In fact, each of the 10 players named to the All-ACC first or second team last season – by way of graduation, transferring or leaving early – are no longer playing in the conference. And from the third All-ACC team, only Louisville’s Jordan Nwora and Notre Dame’s John Mooney are back on the court. The ACC is arguably the top conference in college basketball, but its thin on returning talent this season.

This massive turnover of top talent has led some to believe that there isn’t a runaway favorite in the ACC this year, and that the gap with the conference’s traditional blue bloods and bottom tier isn’t as wide. Duke’s Mike Kryzewski, one of the oldest coaches in the game, seems to agree.

“This year, I think it’s wide open,” Kryzewski said Tuesday at the ACC’s Operation Basketball. “I think the league will be more balanced, and as a result there will be some great basketball throughout. There aren’t the veteran teams that we had last year, so I think staying healthy and how — like for us how our young guys develop will be two keys for us.

“We don’t have the players of Zion and RJ to make up for the slippage in a game, but we have more veteran leadership and key players this season. And (Tre Jones) will have to step up and make more decisions than he had to last year.”

ACC Operation Basketball: Roy Williams enjoying Tar Heel football; likes his transfers, but would rather avoid them in the future (SI; Wilkerson-New)

ACC Operation Basketball offers a rare opportunity for coaches and players to talk with reporters in a more informal setting, leading to some of the most thoughtful — and hilarious — conversations of the season.

Here's a sampling of what North Carolina coach Roy Williams had to say on Tuesday afternoon, from his thoughts on Tar Heel football to watching Armando Bacot transform his body.

On following Mack Brown and Carolina football

After five games, we could have very easily been 5-0 and could have very easily been 0-5, but he’s added a tremendous amount of enthusiasm to our program. Fans are excited, I think recruiting will take an uptick and we’ve just got to stay away from injuries because that’s what really killed Larry Fedora.

He had so many injuries, nobody’s ever had a year like what he had, the last two years. We don’t have that much depth right now, so I’m hoping Mack can stay away from that bug.

I texted him after the Clemson game, I said, ‘Great game, great decision. I was so pleased that he went for two.’

On what he admires about Mack Brown as a coach

I think the first thing is the enthusiasm he has for coaching, the enthusiasm he has for young people and teaching them. I really like that part.

Perspective on Men’s Basketball’s Outlook, Bryce Perkins Recognized (streakingthelawn.com; Paige)

Besides presenting our preseason All-ACC ballot, Caroline traveled to men’s basketball’s ACC Media Days in Charlotte on Tuesday, where she, along with Mamadi Diakite and Braxton Key, got to see a mere replica of the national championship trophy on display (among other things).

With no clear-cut favorite and most of the stars gone, the ACC is wide open (The Athletic)

Even head coach Tony Bennett agrees that the ACC men’s basketball hierarchy is very unclear heading into the new season: “I don’t know quite what to expect,” Bennett said at yesterday’s media days. “I don’t know what our potential is this year.”
Bryce Perkins was named one of 20 finalists for the 2019 Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award, which honors the nation’s top senior quarterback based on their accomplishments both on and off the field. Through five games, Perkins has thrown for 1,177 and 164 passing and rushing yards, respectively, to go along with ten total touchdowns.

Finalist Alert @3_ToDaNeck is named one of 20 finalists for the @GoldenArmAward. The award honors the country’s top college quarterback based on player performance on-and-off the field. #GoHoos | #TheStandard

MORE INFO: Perkins Named A Finalist for the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award - University of Virginia Athletics
— Virginia Football (@UVAFootball) October 8, 2019

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/luke-decock/article235909097.html (newsobserver.com; Decock)

It’s a good year to be a mid-tier ACC basketball team. After unprecedented player turnover — there are only two returning all-ACC players, both off the third team — this may be not only the most wide-open basketball season in years, but a rare down year for the ACC.

Zion Williamson is gone, the stars of Virginia’s national championship team are gone, North Carolina is starting over with another freshman point guard and Duke is starting over with another freshman class. Meanwhile, Big East exiles Louisville and Notre Dame may have the best returning veteran talent in the league.

Throw in the bump from 18 to 20 conference games, which will dilute the standings-skewing effects of the unbalanced schedule, and the ACC is looking at NFL-style parity, with little differentiation between the teams at the top and a huge messy middle.

“It’s just caught up to everybody, especially with kids now being able to test the (draft) waters,” Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski said. “We’re just going to see more newness throughout the league, especially a league of our stature. These kids get prepared for the pros by being in the best conference. It makes it like wide open, I think, for the league this year.”

Krzyzewski said he thought the ACC had five teams that could win a national title a year ago, and one of those five actually did win it, giving the ACC its third championship in five years. It’s a little different this fall. After the offseason exodus, it was hard to pick out a favorite at Tuesday’s media extravaganza. Of the 11 non-seniors on the all-ACC teams, only Louisville’s Jordan Nwora and Notre Dame’s John Mooney are back. Eight jumped early to the NBA, and another transferred.

Even in this revolving-door era of college basketball, that’s a staggering talent drain.

ACC Basketball Media Day: Louisville Notebook (247sports.com; Demling)

The University of Louisville basketball team has a ton of expectations heading into the new season.

U of L coach Chris Mack, along with Jordan Nwora and Steven Enoch, attended ACC Operation Basketball on Tuesday at the Charlotte Marriott Center and were among the teams that were the center of attention.

The Cardinals were 20-14 in Mack's first season and are expected to be one of the preseason favorites in the ACC and a top-10 team nationally. Louisville made it to the NCAA Tournament last season but lost in the first round to Minnesota.

"I thought we exceeded a lot of expectations last season," Mack said. "It also left a bitter taste in our mouth losing eight of the last ten, or whatever it was. So despite all the fanfare, all the preseason prognosticators and the cover of magazines and all that stuff, I try to tell our guys: Don't drink that poison.

"We haven't done anything yet, and we're the same team that felt as low as we did in the NCAA Tournament at the end of the year. But we're excited about the year, I think our guys are working their tails off to try to have a memorable season."

Added Nwora: "Coach Mack came in and has had the same energy, same attitude every day, ultra-competitive. He's kind of instilling that into us. And if we're not competitive, we're going to hear it. That's making us even better every day. Like I have said it earlier today, I wouldn't want to play for anybody else. You know, I'm really happy he came here. You know, he's doing a great job with us, I know he'll keep doing a great job with us. We'll be all right if we just keep following his lead."

ACC Basketball: Western PA’s Robby Carmody Healthy for Notre Dame (pittsburghsportsnow.com; Northam)

It’s been such a great while since Mike Brey had seen Robby Carmody on the court that the Notre Dame men’s basketball coach had to do a double-take last week during practice.

“I forgot who he was as a player, it was so long,” Brey said Tuesday at the ACC’s Operation Basketball.

It’s been nearly a year since Carmody has suited up for the Fighting Irish. His last game action came on Dec. 8, 2018, where he played just three minutes in a loss against UCLA. Later that month, Carmody underwent surgery on his left shoulder to repair a partial labrum tear and he was ruled out for the rest of his freshman season.

But Brey has been impressed by what he’s seen of the Mars Area product recently, and Carmody looks to be healthy for the upcoming season.

“Robby has been very good,” Brey said. “He was making some shots, there’s a physicalness about him and a fearlessness about him. He’s been really good.”

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/college/article235911892.html (charlotteobserver.com; video)

Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski says after a year when five teams could have won the national title, the ACC will be more balanced in 2019-20. Coach K spoke during ACC basketball media day in Charlotte, N.C., Tuesday, Oct. 8, 2019.

Other

Halal_Guys.0.jpg

https://www.syracuse.com/business/2...st-tenant-for-new-dewitt-retail-building.html (PS; Tampone)

Halal Guys, a fast-casual gyro and chicken chain, will be one of the tenants in the new building going up at the Marshalls Plaza in DeWitt.

The DeWitt location is the second Syracuse-area site announced for Halal Guys. The chain is also planning a location at The Marshall student housing complex near Syracuse University.

Halal Guys should open in the spring, said Eric Recoon, vice president of development and leasing at Benderson Development, the Marshall Plaza's developer. The chain got its start as a food cart in New York City in the 1990s and now has restaurants all over the country.

The new Marshalls Plaza building is going up behind a nearby M&T Bank branch. The building will house three tenants once complete.

Negotiations with the other two occupants are underway, Recoon said.

The new building is the latest in a flurry of activity at the plaza. Three new tenants opened earlier this year in another new building at the site, including Blaze Pizza, Smoothie King and Jersey Mike’s.

The locations were the first for all three chains in the Syracuse area. CoreLife Eatery opened in the same building last year.
Previously, Benderson reconfigured part of the main building at the plaza to house Party City, Five Below and Kay Jewelers.