Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
t1larg_afc.jpg

Welcome to National Angel Food Cake Day!

National Angel Food Cake Day celebrates angel food cake, a cake so named because of its light and fluffy texture. It originated in America, most likely from the Pennsylvania Dutch, and first became known in the 1870's. The first recipe for the cake appeared in The Home Messenger Book of Tested Recipes in 1878. It is a type of sponge cake made without yeast or butter. It consists of flour, sugar, and egg whites, and most often cream of tartar. The egg whites are what give it its airy texture. It is usually baked in a tube pan—a pan with a tube in its center—which allows the batter to rise more easily, and cling to all sides of the pan.
National Angel Food Cake Day is being observed today! It has always been observed annually on October 10th.

SU News

How our writers voted in the ACC basketball media poll (PS; Staff)

The ACC’s annual media poll is scheduled to be released later today.

No one is sure what to expect. For the first time in the history of the ACC, there are no players who made first- or second-team all-conference back this season.

The top three teams in the ACC last year are dealing with massive losses due to early departures to the NBA. Virginia lost De’Andre Hunter, Kyle Guy and Ty Jerome. Duke lost Zion Williamson, R.J. Barrett and Cam Reddish. North Carolina lost Coby White and Nassir Little.

The results of the poll will be interesting.

How did Syracuse.com’s Mike Waters and Donna Ditota vote in the ACC’s preseason media poll? We asked our two basketball beat writers to disclose their ballots prior to the poll’s release.

"Virginia is my pick to win the ACC because I have learned over the years not to underestimate Virginia,'' Ditota said. "Sure, the Cavaliers have lost a lot of scoring, a lot of savvy playmaking, a lot of shooting. But they return some key pieces, too, and I’m a big Jay Huff fan.''

Waters went a different direction, choosing the Louisville Cardinals.

"I like Louisville’s blend of experience and a terrific recruiting class,'' Waters said. "Jordan Nwora is the best returning player in the conference. Dwayne Sutton, Malik Williams and Steven Enoch will fill roles similar to last season. The clincher for me is grad transfer Lamarr "Fresh'' Kimble from St. Joseph’s, who should stabilize the point guard position.''

After picking Louisville to win the league, it was no surprise that Waters went with Cardinals junior Jordan Nwora as the preseason Player of the Year.

However, Ditota took the speculative route on an incoming freshman.

What does Jim Boeheim think of the new 20-game ACC schedule? (cnycentral.com; Tamurian)

With the launching of the new linear ACC Network television channel, the conference expanded its men's basketball schedule to 20 games, that's up from 18 which it's been since Syracuse joined the league in 2013.

The idea is that it adds extra content, or games, for the new channel to air throughout the season.
Ultimately, it's leading to a made-for-TV game to start the season for Syracuse on November 6th when it hosts the defending national champion Virginia at 9:00 p.m.

After that, a road game to Georgia Tech on December 8th marks the extent of the earlier-than-normal ACC games for the 'Cuse. Generally speaking, Syracuse begins ACC play around the turn of the new year.

Jim Boeheim, was asked about the expanded slate at the ACC Operation Basketball.

"The 20 games every -- that's what it is. It's more or less than proven over time that, when you talk to people that are experts in what you need to do to get in the NCAA Tournament, that the more conference games you play doesn't really help your league get in more teams because you have more losses, but we'll see how it all plays out. It's certainly -- it's a challenging schedule, and we have to be ready right away. But you want to be ready right away every year anyway."

Boeheim does add he took extra steps to prepare his team headlined by a trip to Italy in August. He also believes opening with such a powerful squad, as opposed to what could be perceived as a soft-opening can actually pay dividends.

Boeheim, Hughes, Dolezaj discuss upcoming season (247sports.com; McAllister)

ACC Media Days for the basketball season are underway. The Orange are hoping for a strong season on the heels of a solid 2018-19 campaign that was full of ups and downs, and ended in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. With improvement from key returning veterans, newcomers with potential and a plethora of offensive weapons and shooters at their disposal, Syracuse has the potential to be a team to contend with next season.

At ACC Media Days, Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim spoke to the media about his team, the upcoming season, their potential on both ends of the court and more. Joining him during the press conference were junior guard Elijah Hughes and junior forward Marek Dolezaj, who added their thoughts on the same subjects. Syracuse opens the 2019-20 season in the Carrier Dome against defending national champion Virginia.

ELIJAH HUGHES GROWTH AND LEADERSHIP

Jim Boeheim: "I think the thing with Elijah, last year he really was about our fourth option offensively, he's our second leading scorer, which tells you a lot about what his ability is to score. I think he's improved over the summer. I think he's worked really hard. The trip helped him and helped our whole team. His role is different this year. He'll have the ball more. He's taken a real active role in leadership with our younger guys.

"I think we're a little bit deceptive in that we have three juniors with Elijah and Marek and Bourama, who have played a lot, and I think their leadership is going to be very important for this team. I think we have a lot of good young guys who are probably a little bit underrated, a little bit under the radar, and I think they're more ready to help this year than I think most people would think."

THE DEFENSE THIS SEASON COMPARED TO LAST

Jim Boeheim: "Well, I think offensively -- I'll get to your question, but I think offensively we have a chance to be a much better team, a much quicker up the court team. I think our defense is going to need improvement. I think the veteran guys were really good at our defense. I think Tyus and Frank were really, really good defensive guards. I think that Elijah did a great job in his first year defensively, and we had Paschal.

"So I think we're a little bit different defensively. I think our offense has a chance to be better than people might expect it to be because we're a much better shooting team. We've been 13th, 14th in the league in three-point shooting for about as long as I can remember, and I think we're a much, much better three-point shooting team. Our defense is going to have to be something that gets better. We think we can get better defensively. We think we can do a few more things defensively, but, obviously, when you're a pretty good, solid defensive team, you're not really thinking as a coach about changing to other defenses.
Certainly, we'll look at what other things we can do on the defensive end."

A conversation with Jim Boeheim changed my mind about paying college athletes (DO; Bova)

Earlier this month, I sat down with Syracuse men’s basketball head coach Jim Boeheim in his office at the Carmelo K. Anthony Center to discuss whether college athletes deserve compensation.

Before I talked with Boeheim, I whole-heartedly supported the bill proposed by New York State Senator Kevin Parker that would require college athletic departments to give 15% of their annual revenue to student-athletes and allow them to sell the rights to their own names, images and other media.
But it’s not so simple.

It was late in the afternoon and I’d spent the previous half hour traversing campus in the pouring rain, sheltering the notes and questions I’d scribbled down that morning under my sweater. I had some very specific thoughts I wanted to discuss with Boeheim based upon what little I knew on the subject.

I was fortunate, then, that Boeheim seemed to foretell my lack of understanding. He jumped right into the nuances and intricacies of paying college athletes that I never would have considered.
Boeheim began by reflecting on a conversation he had with NBA legend and current “Inside the NBA” analyst Charles Barkley.

Jay Bilas lays out preseason ACC basketball expectations (247sports.com; Hellman)

ACC men’s basketball media day recently took place with the conference hungry for a second-straight national championship. For ESPN college basketball analyst, and former Duke Blue Devil, Jay Bilas, the ACC is wide open, as he explained in a video live from media day.
“Virginia seems to have had a stranglehold on the league the last couple of years, and obviously there’s been a ton of competition up at the top,” Bilas said. “But It’s going to be hard for the ACC to match last season, three No. 1 seeds, seven teams in the NCAA tournament and the eventual national champion the Virginia Cavaliers.

“It’s going to be a wide open race, I think, for the top of the ACC. Duke, North Carolina and watch out for Louisville. Louisville is going to be really, really good if they stay healthy.”

Virginia, Duke and North Carolina all earned No. 1 seeds in the tournament. UVA won the No. 1 overall seed in the conference tournament, and a national title. Duke cut down the nets in Charlotte as ACC Tournament champions. Louisville and coach Chris Mack have serious momentum after exceeded expectations last year and an NCAA tournament appearance. But with stars like Zion Williamson, RJ Barrett, Coby White and De’Andre Hunter gone as lottery picks, new players must step up across the conference.

“Watch the ‘bottom’ of the league,” Bilas said. “There are a lot of teams that are going to have an opportunity to rise up and get into the upper division. A team that has gotten healthy this year is Notre Dame. The Fighting Irish are much better because they are much, much healthier. Mike Brey, hopefully he’s not going to be dancing with his shirt off in the locker room like he did in Maui, but you never know.”
Notre Dame finished last in the conference last season, and missed the NCAA tournament for the second-straight year.

Duke basketball: Put no stock in ACC media predictions (balldurham.com; Giles)

One could say that being a preseason selection from ACC media days this decade has actually been a curse — especially for the Duke basketball program.

On Thursday, Duke basketball fans will find out how the current Blue Devils — with sophomore point guard Tre Jones as their leader — stack up against the rest of the ACC in the eyes of “experts.”

Those fans who value past success should look at the past failures regarding predictions from the conference’s media days and realize they’d be better off placing their chips on any team or player other than the ones the media sees finishing on top. After all, the last time the media correctly pegged both the champion of the regular season and the ACC Player of the Year was prior to the 2007-08 season (UNC, Tyler Hansbrough).

In fact, other than the 2015-16 season when UVA’s Malcolm Brogdon was the co-preseason pick alongside UNC’s Marcus Paige and ended up winning the award, the media has not correctly identified the eventual best player ever since that Hansbrough pick 12 years ago.

In other words, the collective media members holding votes were wrong with 11 preseason predictions for ACC Player of the Year across the past 11 years: UNC’s Luke Maye, Notre Dame’s Bonzie Colson, Duke’s Grayson Allen, Paige (twice), Syracuse’s C.J. Fair, N.C. State’s C.J. Leslie, UNC’s Harrison Barnes, Duke’s Kyle Singler (twice), and Hansbrough (2008-09 season).

Also, only twice this decade has the preseason favorite to finish with the best conference record actually wound up in the top spot (UNC on both occasions, 2011-12 and 2015-16).

http://www.espnsyracuse.com/category/30-minutes-in-orange-nation/ (espnsyracuse.com; Seth & Steve)

Steve is joined by Mike Waters following his trip to ACC Media Day and they discuss Jim Boeheim and other ACC coaches thoughts on the new Fair Pay to Play Law and how they believe it’ll effect the landscape of college sports going forward.

News From ACC Media Day (DBR; King)

Here are some links from the ACC’s Basketball Media Day and a few are of particular interest.
Matthew Hurt is proving to be a very popular teammate. He’s still slender but his skills are already standing out.

Jeff Capel spoke a bit about his time at Duke as a player and an assistant and what his relationship with Coach K has meant to him.

Also, Derryck Thornton is back in the ACC, this time at BC, and he says he’s learned a few things: “I feel like I’m a better player now,” he told the Boston Herald. “When I came into the ACC, I was super young and had a lot to learn. Now I’m way wiser and excited to compete on a different level. This time I want people to see that I’m a player, and I feel like our team has a chance to do really great things this year.”

Ironically, he left Duke at least in part because his family was pushing the idea of him as a scoring point guard. So will BC look to him to score?

Nope. His role at BC is nearly identical to what Duke had in mind. It just took him three schools to accept it.
Duke Links

• Duke’s Coach K talks about how the ACC looks in 2019-20
  • This Duke freshman already has older teammates saying ‘I love playing with Matt Hurt’
  • Highlights from Duke men’s basketball at ACC media day
  • Mike Krzyzewski supports ‘Fair Pay to Play’ Act
  • ‘Culture is built every day.’ Veteran players at Duke and UNC do their best to help the one-and-dones.
  • Duke expects more balance in post-Zion Williamson era
  • Coach K: “I think it starts with defense”
  • Jeff Capel on Coach K: “At 16 years old, I believed him. At 44 now I swear by him
ACC Links
  • Five storylines heading into ACC Operation Basketball
  • The ACC’s Swofford talks about the Fair Pay to Play act
  • NC State’s Keatts talks about his love of basketball
  • UNC’s Roy Williams on talking junk with his players
  • What does it mean to ‘take a step?’ The definition varied for Wake Forest basketball during the ACC’s annual media day.
  • Wake notes: Chemistry should (again) be better than last season for Deacons
  • UNC to be without three players to start season

Uncertainty is the name of the game in 2019-20 for Virginia, the ACC (streakingthelawn.com; Darney)

Before the festivities of ACC Basketball Operation (aka media day) got underway in Charlotte on Tuesday, Virginia head coach Tony Bennett joined the ACC Network’s morning show, Packer and Durham.

Host Mark Packer asked Bennett to give him one word to describe the upcoming ACC basketball season.
“Uncertain,” Bennett said after a moment.

That’s not only applicable to the conference — which, for the first time in awhile, feels wide open — but to Bennett’s Cavaliers, too. Virginia lost a grand total of six players between the 2018-19 National Championship team and the one that showed up on Grounds for the 2019-20 season. De’Andre Hunter, Ty Jerome, and Kyle Guy were all picked up in the 2019 NBA Draft, going to the Atlanta Hawks, Phoenix Suns, and Sacramento Kings, respectively.

Fifth year senior Jack Salt finally exhausted all of his eligibility, leaving a 6’10, 250 pound sized hole in the roster. Guard Marco Anthony transferred to Utah State, and Frankie Badocchi decided to leave basketball for personal reasons.

After the 2015-16 season, Virginia had high turnover as Mike Tobey, Anthony Gill, Evan Nolte, and Malcolm Brogdon graduated. The Hoos then, however, had a few more “known” personalities returning in 2016-17.

Syracuse basketball has to live and die by the 3-ball in 2019 (itlh; Esden Jr)

Syracuse basketball is hoping to make some history with the long ball in 2019. Here are all the details and how the Orange can find success.

The offense is going to look a lot different this season for Syracuse basketball. Maybe even historically different?

Jim Boeheim spoke at the annual ACC Media Day and said as much:

“I mean we have 9 or 10 new guys. When you lose four starters it looks worse than it is. Marek Dolezaj, Elijah Hughes and Bourama Sidibe are juniors and they have starting experience. The problem is in the backcourt we’re sophomores and freshmen. That’s always a concern, but we have had some successful freshmen from Tyler Ennis to Michael Carter-Williams. So we have some really good players and I’d say we have more depth than we’ve probably had in seven years.”

Well, Syracuse is going to need all of that depth if they’re going to shock the college basketball world in 2019-20. All the proven commodities on this team are gone (Tyus Battle, Frank Howard, Oshae Brissett, and Paschal Chukwu).

Syracuse University Submits Record Number of 2020 Fulbright Grant Applications (syr.edu)

As Syracuse University students and alumni who received 2019 Fulbright grants settle into their experiences around the globe, a record number have submitted their applications for the 2020 cycle of funding.

This year, the University submitted a record 45 grant applications to the Fulbright Program, says Jolynn Parker, director of the Center for Fellowship and Scholarship Advising (CFSA). The national Fulbright deadline was Oct. 8, and applications from Syracuse University students and alumni were submitted on Monday.

The Fulbright U.S. student program supports English Teaching Assistantships (ETA) and Research/Study grants. This year, applications were submitted by 26 undergraduates, eight graduate students and 11 alumni. Twenty-eight applications were submitted for the ETA grant and 17 for open study/research grants.
“We usually submit around 25 applications per year, so this is a big jump,” says Parker. “The application process itself is such a useful experience; we’re delighted so many more students are taking advantage of the opportunity.”

Applicants have proposed teaching, research and study around the world. Submissions included ETA applications to Greenland and Rwanda, and study/research applications to Tajikistan, the Hugh Lane Gallery in Ireland, the University of Paris-Saclay and Tel Aviv University, among many others.

The Fulbright application process is a true campus effort. Thirty-eight faculty and staff members from across campus serve as evaluators for Fulbright proposals. CFSA hosted seven Fulbright writing workshops during the first few weeks of the semester, where staff members helped students prepare their application essays. “We could not run such a robust campus process—or help our students so effectively—without the efforts of the many faculty and staff across campus who support the process. We are very fortunate members of our community are so generous with their time and expertise,” says Parker.

Brett's preseason All-ACC and awards ballot (SI; Friedlander)

Here are my selections for preseason All-ACC, Player of the Year and Rookie of the Year, as well as my predicted order of finish, as submited on my official ballot Tuesday ...

ALL-ACC
Tre Jones - Guard - Duke; Jordan Nwora - Forward - Louisville; Markell Johnson - Guard - NC State; John Mooney - Forward - Notre Dame; Mamadi Diakite - Forward - Virginia

PLAYER OF THE YEAR
Jordan Nwora - Forward - Louisville

ROOKIE OF THE YEAR
Cole Anthony - Guard - North Carolina

PREDICTED ORDER OF FINISH
1 Duke
2 Louisville
3 Virginia
4 North Carolina
5 NC State
6 Florida State
7 Notre Dame
8 Syracuse
9 Wake Forest

Shawn's preseason All-ACC ballot (SI; Krest)

T.J. Gibbs is back. So are Jalen Carey, Nate Laszewski and Jairus Hamilton.
None of the four received my vote on the preseason ballot, which I cast at Tuesday’s Operation Basketball in Charlotte, but they underscore the difficulty of this season’s voting.

There were 121 ballots cast at the last year’s ACC media day. Notre Dame’s Gibbs is the only one who received a vote and is back for this season. Carey, Laszewski and Hamilton are the only players who received votes for Freshman of the Year who returned.

In a league that always features players leaving early for the pros, the ACC seems to have even more turnover than usual this season. But here are the new faces that have impressed me the most.
All ACC team:

Tre Jones, Duke: The sophomore point guard gave the Blue Devils a huge boost when he returned to school for year two. His on-ball defense is suffocating, and without Zion Williamson and RJ Barrett creating their own shots, his assist numbers should go way up (see video below). He just needs to hit the outside shot more consistently.

John Mooney, Notre Dame: One of two players who made the end-of-season All-ACC third team who returned this year (all 10 players on the first two teams are gone, the big man led the conference in rebounding. With Rex Pflueger back, shooting from outside and driving, it should give Mooney more room to move inside this season.

Jordan Nwora, Louisville: The other member of the third team who’s back, Nwora was eighth in rebounding, sixth in scoring. He has a good chance of being the best player on the best team in the league.

Cole Anthony, UNC: The spectacular freshman point guard got Roy Williams to break Carolina’s decades-old rule against letting freshmen talk to the media. Wait and see what he does once he starts actually playing games.

Preseason Player of the Year: Tre Jones, Duke—He’ll be the heart and soul of the conference’s most visible team—and potentially a Final Four squad.

Preseason Rookie of the Year: Cole Anthony, UNC

Predicted order of finish:
1. Louisville
2. Duke
3. North Carolina
4. Virginia
5. Florida State
6. Virginia Tech
7. NC State
8. Syracuse

Louisville Basketball: Nwora's return has Cardinals in ACC title chat - College Hoops Watch (collehoopswatch.com; Cross)

When Jordan Nwora decided to come back to the Louisville Cardinals for his junior season, it marked the return of the staple of the program who could help to elevate the Cardinals not only to the top of the ACC but back to the Top 10, a resting place where Louisville is accustomed.

Nwora calls the practices “competitive” as they are chocked with talented players where a Top 10 recruiting class and stellar veterans have met to form a bright constellation in the college basketball universe. Coach Chris Mack loves Nwora’s description because he knows that the new team is embracing one of his foremost messages in Louisville culture – intense competition.

“He’s (Mack) kind of instilling that into us,” Nwora says, “And if we’re not competitive, we’re going to hear it. That’s making us even better every day.”

Nwora is a pre-season first team all-America in many of the magazines and the pre-season ACC Player of the Year by general consensus. He averaged nearly 32 mpg last season and averaged 17.0 ppg, up 11. 3 points from his 5.7 of 2017-18. It was the third highest scoring improvement in Division-1 basketball.

The 3-ball was a huge part of Nwora’s ascension as he checked in at 37.4 percent from being the arc. He is undeterred about the movement of the three-point arc to 22’1” and for good reason.

“I already shoot a lot of my shots from out there,” Nwora notes. “I played FEMA this summer, I was playing from that line all summer.”

Other

LaFayette Apple Fest, Head of The Onondaga Regatta: 25 things to do in CNY (PS; Hernandez)

October is off and rolling with its cooler temperatures, and fall festivals. This weekend will see one of the biggest autumn traditions with the LaFayette Apple Festival and a new gourd in town, Head of The Onondaga Regatta with its giant pumpkin races.

For more fall festivals, see our complete list. Or, if you are looking for a spooky good time, check out our round up of haunted houses and Halloween happenings.

Twelve Angry Men

1957. A teen-ager is accused of murdering his father. His fate rests with twelve jurors. As the jurors deliberate, the impulse to quickly convict is thwarted by one holdout, who insists on a close evaluation of the evidence. Syracuse Stage mounts this production where prejudices, passions, and human failings collide in a search for truth.
Where: Syracuse Stage, 820 E Genesee St., Syracuse, NY 13210
When: Oct. 9-27, with varying showtimes
How much: Oct. 9 is pay-what-you-will with tickets available at the box office only, all other performances $25-$60

NAPA Super Dirt Week XLVIII

Super DIRT Week draws 70,000 fans and 300+ race cars over five days, making it one of the biggest racing events in the Northeast.
Where: Oswego Speedway, 300 E Albany St., Oswego, NY 13126
When: Oct. 9-13, full schedule is on their website
How much: Events range from $25-$50 for adults, $10 for children; all week package general admission: adults $80, children $20; all week package reserved seating: $100, week long pit pass $180
LaFayette Apple Festival

Get your fill of apple foods, crafts, and carnival rides at the LaFayette Apple Festival. Apple pies can be entered into the pie contest between 1-6 p.m. and scarecrows can be entered from 5-7 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 11 at the Red Apple Barn on the festival grounds. Free parking.
Where: 5330 Rowland Rd., LaFayette, NY 13084
When: Oct. 12-13, Sat. 9 a.m.-6 p.m., Sun. 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
How much: $5 presale tickets may be purchased after at Byrne Dairy or Cindy’s Diner in LaFayette and Baileys Ice Cream Stand on Rt. 11 in Nedrow

Last edited: