Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
original-1947-area-codes.png

Welcome to Area Code Day!

Area Code Day celebrates the numbers that precede a normal seven digit phone number, which were devised in the 1940's by AT&T for the Bell System, and came into full implementation with the creation of the North American Numbering Plan (NANP) in 1947. Most countries in North America are part of the NANP, and different service areas are divided into numbering plan areas. The number prefix that each area has is called the numbering plan area code, or area code, for short. Initially the first number of the three digit code could be 2 through 9, the second digit had to be a 0 or 1, and the third digit could be any number, although none ended in 0 until the toll-free code 800 was introduced. In 1995 it was changed so that the center digit could be any number but 9. Area codes are often preceded by the national access code, which is 1 in the United States, and 0 in many other countries. It is unclear why November 10 was chosen as the celebration of the day. In a sense, by celebrating area codes, Area Code Day is also celebrating the ability to call long distances, and not just to those in your immediate area.

SU News

Reminder: ACC basketball schedules will be announced today at 9:30 AM EST on ACC...

Syracuse Basketball: Projected MVP, other awards for 2020-21 term (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse basketball begins its season in fewer than three weeks, and we opine on possible award winners.

Syracuse basketball is preparing to host Bryant on Friday, Nov. 27, the day after Thanksgiving, in the Orange’s presumed 2020-21 term opener.

Expectations for the ‘Cuse are relatively mild in the upcoming campaign. Many national pundits view the Orange as a middle-of-the-pack squad in the Atlantic Coast Conference, as well as a bubble team for the 2021 NCAA Tournament.

I’m a bit more optimistic, prognosticating that Syracuse basketball will amount to a fringe top-25 squad, a top-six ACC crew and definitely a March Madness participant.

For those objectives to occur, the ‘Cuse roster – fairly young a season ago, but now a year older and more experienced – has to gel as a collective unit. And individual players have to put forth stellar performances.

To that end, we’ve compiled our thoughts on various superlatives for Syracuse basketball in 2020-21. As always, please let us know where we goofed up, and if we got anything right!

MVP
This is a tough one. I’m torn between junior shooting guard Buddy Boeheim and junior small forward Alan Griffin, a transfer from Illinois. I’ll go with Boeheim. He averaged more than 15 points in 2019-20, and Boeheim is primed for a special junior campaign. His defense and rebounding both have to vastly improve, though.

Most Important
Senior power forward Marek Dolezaj, who is just an all-around glue guy and consummate teammate. He does a little of everything, and Dolezaj has to take on an even bigger role in 2020-21, on both ends of the floor.

Most Surprising
I’ll go with freshman Kadary Richmond, a top-100 prospect in high school who can suit up at point guard, shooting guard and small forward. Richmond likely will receive some run, spelling the starting guards or small forwards.

Dolezaj_Duke_1.jpg

Orange Watch: ACC, Syracuse basketball turns up its pre-season pulse this week - The Juice Online (the juice; Bierman)

Item: The college basketball season is just around the corner from its Nov. 25 scheduled start date. The ACC’s pre-season predicted order of finish and all-conference team will be announced Wednesday at 9:00 a.m. ET, on the ACC Network. Later that evening, the league holds day one of its annual Operation Basketball event; of course, virtually this year. The 15 coaches and selected players will be participating in panel discussions broadcast live on the ACC Network Wed. and Thurs. from 7:00-9:00 p.m. ET (Jim Boeheim and an Orange player are slated to appear Thurs. night). The long-awaited league schedule is also expected to be announced on Thursday.

Watching a potential one-win SU football season unfold in a tumultuous year of events, it’s refreshing to talk Orange hoops with the season on the cusp.

Even while realizing 10 college football games were either postponed or canceled as recently as this past weekend due to positive COVID-19 testing, and that without a season-long “bubble,” there will likely be similar disruptions as the basketball calendar progresses to the goal of staging the NCAA Tournament in March.

Here’s a look at our submitted prediction for the order of finish in a stacked ACC, with the top 9-10 teams projecting to a 68-team NCAA Tournament:

1. Virginia
  2. Duke
  3. Florida State
  4. Louisville
  5. North Carolina
  6. Syracuse
  7. Miami
  8. Georgia Tech
  9. Clemson
  10. North Carolina State
  11. Virginia Tech
  12. Notre Dame
  13. Pittsburgh
  14. Boston College
  15. Wake Forest
Understanding there are a couple of terrific freshman league-wide waiting in the wings, and no one from Virginia or Duke is listed, here’s our (unconventional?) preseason, first team all-conference selections:

The Fizz’s Men’s Basketball ACC Preseason Awards – Orange Fizz – Free Syracuse Recruiting News (orangefizz.net; May)

There is good news and there’s bad news. Let’s start with the bad– Syracuse Football lost again this weekend and is off to its worst start since 2005. But here’s the good news– Syracuse Men’s Basketball is gearing up for its season that is just around the corner. Although we don’t have a schedule at the current moment, it is reportedly being released on Tuesday with a start date right around Thanksgiving.

As everyone gets ready for the college basketball season, the media has been sending in their ballots for the ACC Preseason Awards and Poll. Selected journalists are asked to create a preseason All-ACC starting five, pick someone for the Preseason Player of the Year and Preseason Rookie of the Year, and rank the ACC teams in expected order that they’ll finish. Before the results are released Wednesday morning, I thought it would be a fun exercise to partake in. So here are my preseason awards:

PRESEASON ALL-ACC TEAM
Garrison Brooks – Forward – North Carolina
Chris Lykes – Guard – Miami
Sam Hauser – Forward – Virginia
Scottie Barnes – Guard – Florida State
Jalen Johnson – Forward – Duke

PRESEASON PLAYER OF THE YEAR
Garrison Brooks – Forward – North Carolina

PRESEASON ROOKIE OF THE YEAR
Jalen Johnson – Forward – Duke

PREDICTED ORDER TO FINISH

1. Duke
  2. Virginia
  3. North Carolina
  4. Florida State
  5. Louisville
  6. Syracuse
  7. Miami
  8. Virginia Tech
  9. NC State
  10. Clemson
  11. Georgia Tech
  12. Pittsburgh
  13. Notre Dame
  14. Boston College
  15. Wake Forest

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio...tate-in-top-six-will-make-decision-on-fridaym (elevenwarriors.com; Hass-Hill)

Ohio State will soon learn the destination of one of its top recruiting targets.

Four-star Roddy Gayle, a 2022 shooting guard from Youngstown, New York, both put the Buckeyes in his top-six and announced he'll make his college decision on Friday. Connecticut, Pittsburgh, Marquette, Syracuse and Georgetown are the other finalists.

Announcement coming November 13th evening... pic.twitter.com/j36t1LKug3
— RG2 (@roddy_gayle) November 9, 2020
While most have tabbed Syracuse as the favorite in his recruitment, Ohio State has chased him throughout the spring and summer and surged in his recruitment recently. Chris Holtmann's coaching staff brought him in for an unofficial visit to see his team top Michigan on March 1, where he got a first-hand look at what he described as "the atmosphere I want to play for." Gayle earned an offer from Ohio State on April 22 and remained a top target ever since.

Listed at 6-foot-4 and 195 pounds, the Lewiston Porter Senior High School junior is ranked as the No. 76 overall prospect and seventh-best shooting guard in his class. He's the top prospect from the state of New York in 2022.

“They say they like my size, length at the one, two spot,” Gayle told Eleven Warriors earlier this year. “So they want me to come in and fit right into the role and be the scorer that I am and I can be. That's basically what I want to do, so it's like hearing what I wanted to hear.”

Syracuse basketball target Elijah Fisher aims for No. 1 in high school (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse basketball 2023 target Elijah Fisher says his confidence is growing.

In recent years, Syracuse basketball has owned a bunch of success in landing top-flight prospects from Canada, and 2023 target Elijah Fisher would represent perhaps the biggest recruiting win of them all.

The Orange offered a scholarship to the 6-foot-7 wing, a sophomore who attends Crestwood Preparatory College in Toronto, Ontario, this past July.

Fisher, a shooting guard/small forward, isn’t ranked by all of the primary recruiting services, since he plays high-school ball in Canada. However, make no mistake about it, he is one of the premier players in his class.

Presently, 247Sports rates Fisher No. 3 overall within the 2023 cycle, as well as the No. 1 shooting guard. Prep Hoops has arranged Fisher at No. 4 nationally in his class.

What’s more, as Fisher continues to shine for Crestwood Preparatory College and the Toronto-based Grassroots Elite Canada on the AAU circuit, it’s entirely feasible that Fisher will contend for the No. 1 overall position in the 2023 class.

Check out what the five-star Fisher had to say on this topic in his latest blog post for SI All-American. “I feel like I’m the best player, regardless of class or country; now I just want to go out and prove it,” he writes.

Westry-1024x576.jpg

Names to Know in SU Basketball Recruiting – Orange Fizz – Free Syracuse Recruiting News (orangefizz.net; Shults)

In the 2022 men’s basketball recruiting class, everyone knows about Dior Johnson. Over the past year, there’s been plenty of talk about Johnson fulfilling his promise to SU. But there’s also been questions of reclassification, and worry about what a transfer of high schools means for the Orange. And we don’t need to get into the G League questions.

Instead, we’re assuming Johnson is heading to Syracuse in a couple of years. Today, we examine who he might bring with him.

Chance Westry, 4-Star Guard

Westry has been linked to Syracuse for a while, in large part due to Johnson. The Pennsylvania native is a 6-foot-4 combo guard, and the No. 27 rated recruit in the 2022 recruiting class. Besides Syracuse, Westry is being heavily recruited by Maryland. Schools like Georgetown, Michigan and Florida have also offered Westry. While the guard is a solid shooter from beyond the arc, he does most of his work driving the lane. He uses his long arms to reach around defenders, toward the bucket. Westry also has good vision to find cutting teammates.

Justin Taylor, 4-Star Forward

Taylor is a 6-foot-6 small forward and rated as the No. 82 recruit in the nation. Outside of Syracuse, Taylor is also being heavily pursued by Indiana, Virginia Tech and Virginia. He’s from Charlottesville, Virginia, home of the Cavs, so it might be tough to pull him away from his home state. While he’s a bit undersized at 6-foot-6, Taylor is a tremendous shooter. He’s not going to blow by ACC defenders and get to the hoop, but he will pull-up from much deeper than expected. If he has an open shot a few feet behind the arc, he’ll let it fly.

Roddy Gayle Jr., 4-Star Guard

Gayle recently announced his top-six with Syracuse making the cut:

Roddy Gayle Jr, a four-star shooting guard in the class of 2022, has announced his top six and Syracuse is one of them.

Gayle is listed at 6’4, 195 lbs and is from Youngstown, NY. Gerry McNamara is the lead recruiter for SU.

Other

LCGRRIM7PJD6RJEYPANIDCTYC4.jpg

Syracuse council appoints lawyer Ronnie White as new councilor (PS; Baker)

Syracuse’s lawmakers unanimously approved the appointment of their part-time lawyer to join their ranks Monday.

The city’s Common Council picked attorney Ronnie White Jr. to fill a seat left vacant after the resignation of Councilor Tim Rudd last month. Rudd has accepted a job with Mayor Ben Walsh’s administration.

White is a solo practitioner who previously worked for Mackenzie Hughes law firm and for Onondaga County’s law department. He has a law degree from Syracuse University.

“It means a lot to me,” White said of the appointment. “I really, truly believe in public service.”

As a councilor, White said he wants to review the way the city conducts business and to strengthen its institutions.

His top priority, he said, is exploring municipal WiFi to bring internet access to the entire city. That kind of access has become more critical than ever amid the Covid-19 pandemic, he said, as more people are working and learning remotely.

Last edited: