Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
SU News

55086c5ea527c.image.jpg

Four Things That Can Bring SU Men's Basketball Fans Joy This March (auburnpub.com; Boyer)

There's no question that Syracuse men's basketball fans are feeling some pain this March because their team, which has been pretty much been a lock for the NCAA tournament for decades, is not playing. There's some debate as to whether the Orange would have snagged at an at-large bid this year, had the school not self-imposed a one-year postseason ban due to NCAA violation. But no matter which side of that debate you're on, we'll all probably catch ourselves wondering more than a few teams how SU would have done had they gotten in.

Nevertheless, Orange fans are also college basketball fans. And in that spirit, there are some things that can bring some intrigue and even joy to central New York in this year's tournament. Here's a few:

1. Can the ACC flex its muscles?

The conference in which Syracuse was more than competitive this season has six bids in the tourney, and all six teams have a strong shot at advancing past the first round. Moreover, three teams (Duke, Virginia, Notre Dame) and arguably five (North Carolina and Louisville) have legitimate chances to reach the Final Four.

2. If the Irish go far, then SU would have gone ...?

Fresh off its ACC tournament title, Notre Dame is widely considered one of the hottest teams in the country. And more than a few experts are putting the Irish into the Final Four. So which team was the last to beat them? That would be your Syracuse Orange, of course. SU executed brilliantly on a February night in South Bend to make ND's spectacular offense look ordinary. If future Irish opponents' coaches are smart, they're studying that game tape.

3. The Louisville connection

After some intense battles in the Big East and ACC, it may seem odd for Syracuse supporters to think about cheering for the Cardinals in the tournament, but don't forget about the big SU connection to that team: the Boeheim coaching tree. SU coach Jim Boeheim brought a young Rick Pitino to central New York to serve as one of his assistants. We all know the success Pitino has gone on to enjoy, but if old Jim (actually he was young Jim back then) hadn't convinced Pitino to leave a nice gig in Hawaii back in the 1970s, who knows?

Last edited:
Wow--there's our answer / line in the sand about how long JB will continue to coach.

I can't imagine Hopkins will want to stick around for 3 more years.

Also wonder if this will have a beneficial impact on any appeals / lessening of penalties.
please tell me you meant to type can instead of can't in your 2nd sentence :)

a lot easier to stick around for a deadline that may also be less than that . staying he knows he has a job for 7 more years. and a program that will be better than anything he goes to now

Daryl Gross speaks about coaching future of Syracuse basketball assistant Mike Hopkins (PS: Staff)

"The concept's always been there. That's obvious," Gross said today. "Mike's obviously ready to go. He's going to be an unbelievable head coach.''

Chancellor Kent Syverud's statement today did not mention Hopkins, who played under Boeheim for four years, ending his athletic career after the 1992-93 season. Boeheim hired Hopkins as an assistant basketball coach in 1995.

"Today was about Jim," Gross said. "I wouldn't read that much into it. Jim announced what he's going to do and that's what it's all about.''

Gross was asked whether there was a contract in place that stipulates Hopkins' succession to Boeheim as SU's next head coach.

"I don't get into contract stuff," Gross said. "I don't want to breach that.''

ESPN analyst Jay Bilas reacts to announcement that Jim Boeheim will retire in 3 years (DO: Samuels)

“I’m not surprised,” Bilas said of Boeheim’s decision. “Giving it a definite date is certainly a reasonable judgment on his part.”

Bilas added that he doesn’t think the announcement will be a major factor in recruiting for the team moving forward.

“Anybody that’s being recruited by Syracuse now has to know Jim is not going to be there 20 more years,” he said. “I don’t think in the grand scheme of things it’s that big a deal.”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom