Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
National-Garlic-Day.jpg

Welcome to National Garlic Day!

This stinking rose is a member of the lily family. This family also includes onions, leeks and shallots. While garlic originated in Asia over 7,000 years ago, it is used in a variety of cuisines, but it is also used for medicinal purposes.

It is considered an herbal remedy for colds, and it has been suggested to reduce blood pressure and cholesterol. Modern science has proven garlic’s antibiotic properties.

SU News

636281214765526318-tdndc5-6snmdv5si74irhik400-original.jpg

East English C Tyrone Sampson picks Syracuse (detroitnews.com; Goricki)

Tyrone Sampson, a four-star center from Detroit East English, on Tuesday committed to Syracuse’s 2018 recruiting class, he told The Detroit News in a text message.

Sampson (6-3, 300) is ranked the No. 2 center in the nation by At their request, this network is being blocked from this site. and is No. 265 on the Scout 300 for 2018.

“First off, I want to thank the Lord and all the miracles he has blessed me with,” Sampson wrote on Twitter. “Secondly, I want to thank my wonderful parents. They’re truly the best parents and they have made everything happen no matter what it is. … At this time I will be announcing that I’ll be attending Syracuse University for the next 3-4 years.”

Sampson was not offered by Michigan or Michigan State, but his offer list did include Louisville, Kentucky, Minnesota, Indiana, Virginia, Western Michigan, Toledo, Central Michigan and Eastern Michigan.

Ty Sampson to Syracuse | mgoblog

Other

22496152-mmmain.jpg

Hungry Chuck's owner vows to reopen Syracuse University bar (report) (PS; Weaver)

The owner of Hungry Chuck's -- Stephen Theobald -- says he'll reopen the popular Syracuse University bar, according to a report by Spectrum News.

But where will that new bar be? Theobald isn't saying yet, according to the report by Alexa Green.
The new place will have some improvements, Theobald says, such as bigger bathrooms.

The building that houses Chuck's behind Marshall Street is slated for demolition to make way for an eight-story building with apartments and retail space. The developer behind the project said earlier this month he expected the demolition to happen before the semester ends.

A request for comment through Theobald's lawyer was not immediately answered this morning.

A total of three buildings will be razed to make way for the new development. Those buildings are at 727 S. Crouse Ave. and 721-23 S. Crouse Ave. Other businesses affected by the project include AppeThaizing, Orange Crate Brewing Co., and the SEFCU Credit Union.

In 2014, Thrilllist ranked Chuck's among the best college bars in the United States.

Last edited:
Ish mentioned "Gillfish the little freshman" as one of the standouts. Any idea who that might be? Riley?

Ish mentioned "Gillfish the little freshman" as one of the standouts. Any idea who that might be? Riley?
I think he's referring to Tyler Gilfus, R-Fr. WR from Cape Vincent in the Thousand Islands.

I think he's referring to Tyler Gilfus, R-Fr. WR from Cape Vincent in the Thousand Islands.
Oh...ok, that makes sense. Thanks.

I have noticed TG looking very comfortable at WR in the videos. Not bad for a former walkon QB.

The NCAA has passed two new minor playing rules, while delaying another.

The two new rules approved by the Playing Rules Oversight Panel include:

-- Players are prohibited from jumping over offensive linemen to block a kick

-- The nameplate is now included in the horse-collar tackle 15-yard penalty

The NFL implemented the same rule banning the offensive line hurdling last month. The play has become a quick fad over the past two years, and while the successful ones looked clean and safe, there were instances where it wasn’t done properly, and it’s been deemed a player safety issue.

As for the delayed rule, requiring players to wear kneepads and pants that cover knees will be implemented in 2018, instead of 2017. The reason? Equipment orders.

The NCAA said in a release: "It is recommended strongly that the pants cover the knee for the 2017 season, but the panel voted to delay making the rule a requirement due to feedback from the membership that uniforms already have been purchased and may not fully meet the requirement.”

The NCAA has passed two new minor playing rules, while delaying another.

The two new rules approved by the Playing Rules Oversight Panel include:

-- Players are prohibited from jumping over offensive linemen to block a kick

-- The nameplate is now included in the horse-collar tackle 15-yard penalty

The NFL implemented the same rule banning the offensive line hurdling last month. The play has become a quick fad over the past two years, and while the successful ones looked clean and safe, there were instances where it wasn’t done properly, and it’s been deemed a player safety issue.

As for the delayed rule, requiring players to wear kneepads and pants that cover knees will be implemented in 2018, instead of 2017. The reason? Equipment orders.

The NCAA said in a release: "It is recommended strongly that the pants cover the knee for the 2017 season, but the panel voted to delay making the rule a requirement due to feedback from the membership that uniforms already have been purchased and may not fully meet the requirement.”
"Pants covering knees" cost us the Tennessee game in McNabb's senior year. Although, I bet the SEC officials would have found another way to get the Vols across the finish line. Why can't intersectional games (at least those between P5 teams) just have refs from a neutral conference, as is done now in bowl games?