Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
winnie-the-pooh-quotes-quotestrend-ccut6daz.jpg

Welcome to Winnie the Pooh Day!

Winnie the Pooh Day is celebrated on the birthday of A.A. Milne, the English author who created the popular children's character, Winnie the Pooh. The name "Winnie-the-Pooh" first appeared in a story called "The Wrong Sort of Bees," on Christmas Eve in 1925, in The Evening News. The following year, Milne published a volume of stories about Pooh, simply titled Winnie-the-Pooh. He followed this in 1928 with The House at Pooh Corner.

A black bear named Winnie—short for Winnipeg, as she had come from Canada—was an inspiration for the character. Winnie had resided at the London Zoo, and Milne's son, Christopher Robin Milne, liked to visit her; he even had the opportunity to feed her honey. Christopher named his own teddy bear Winnie the Pooh, after the real-life Winnie, as well as after a swan named Pooh, that the Milne's had seen while on vacation. Christopher's bear actually had originally been named Edward, and had been purchased at Harrods in London.

SU News

Syracuse Orange 2018 Football Schedule & Analysis (collegefootballnews.com; Fiutak)

2018 Syracuse Orange Football Schedule Analysis
– The Orange have to start out red hot. Forgetting that they have to take down the road game at Western Michigan to kick things off, and blow past the home games against Wagner and UConn, starting out the ACC slate with Florida State at home could be a huge moment in the Dino Babers era. Lose that, and there’s a big problem considering …

– Clemson might have a little something for the Orange in Death Valley in a revenge game to end the September part of the slate. five of the final eight games are away from the Carrier Dome, with the Notre Dame game being played in Yankee Stadium.

– Syracuse might have to play at Clemson, but it can’t complain about getting Atlantic heavyweights FSU, NC State and Louisville at home. And there’s really no whining about missing both Miami and Virginia Tech from the Coastal. Wake Forest and North Carolina aren’t going to be easy, but they’re not the Canes and/or Hokies.

Reunions, potential pitfalls highlight the 2018 ACC football schedule (newsobserver.com; Giglio)

Highlights, and lowlights, of the 2018 ACC football schedule to ponder as you pass the 224 days until the season kicks off:

Remember me?
Hey, Virginia and N.C. State really are in the same conference. So are Duke and Clemson. Amazing.

The ACC killed off some its original matchups when it expanded in 2004. It only got worse in 2013 when it grew to 14 teams.

But every eight years, some of the old foes get together again, like a family reunion. The Wahoos and Wolfpack meet up for the first time since 2012. That’s also the last time the Blue Devils and Tigers played.

Pleased to meet you
Five years after it joined the league, Syracuse will face North Carolina on the football field.

Other

8d5919f6d4765b3bafab1f325e467e4c.jpg

Follow Amazon's roadmap to a vibrant, thriving Syracuse (Commentary) (PS; editorial; Doucette)

Robert Doucette is a property developer in downtown Syracuse. He is a member of the group ReThink 81, which advocates for a community grid to replace the Interstate 81 viaduct through downtown.

By Robert Doucette | Special to Syracuse.com

There is an overarching issue related to the Interstate 81 discussions now confronting Syracuse: the urbanization of America. Cities are the principal players in our economy and are increasingly the place that people choose to call home. And for us to thrive, our entire region needs to embrace strategies that will create such a city.

When Amazon put out its call for proposals for a second headquarters location, it was clear that the site had to be in or near a city that possessed the lifestyle and amenities conducive to attracting and retaining the talent that Amazon requires. The Amazon search criteria are instructive because they give us what amounts to a template for the type of environments that today's businesses are seeking. Their preferences include:

* Metropolitan areas with more than one million people;
* A stable and business-friendly environment;
* Urban or suburban locations with the potential to attract and retain strong technical talent;
* Communities that think big and creatively when considering locations and real estate options.

Attachments

• 2018_Football_Logo_Schedule.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 38
winnie-the-pooh-quotes-quotestrend-ccut6daz.jpg

Welcome to Winnie the Pooh Day!

Winnie the Pooh Day is celebrated on the birthday of A.A. Milne, the English author who created the popular children's character, Winnie the Pooh. The name "Winnie-the-Pooh" first appeared in a story called "The Wrong Sort of Bees," on Christmas Eve in 1925, in The Evening News. The following year, Milne published a volume of stories about Pooh, simply titled Winnie-the-Pooh. He followed this in 1928 with The House at Pooh Corner.

A black bear named Winnie—short for Winnipeg, as she had come from Canada—was an inspiration for the character. Winnie had resided at the London Zoo, and Milne's son, Christopher Robin Milne, liked to visit her; he even had the opportunity to feed her honey. Christopher named his own teddy bear Winnie the Pooh, after the real-life Winnie, as well as after a swan named Pooh, that the Milne's had seen while on vacation. Christopher's bear actually had originally been named Edward, and had been purchased at Harrods in London.

SU News

Syracuse Orange 2018 Football Schedule & Analysis (collegefootballnews.com; Fiutak)

2018 Syracuse Orange Football Schedule Analysis
– The Orange have to start out red hot. Forgetting that they have to take down the road game at Western Michigan to kick things off, and blow past the home games against Wagner and UConn, starting out the ACC slate with Florida State at home could be a huge moment in the Dino Babers era. Lose that, and there’s a big problem considering …

– Clemson might have a little something for the Orange in Death Valley in a revenge game to end the September part of the slate. five of the final eight games are away from the Carrier Dome, with the Notre Dame game being played in Yankee Stadium.

– Syracuse might have to play at Clemson, but it can’t complain about getting Atlantic heavyweights FSU, NC State and Louisville at home. And there’s really no whining about missing both Miami and Virginia Tech from the Coastal. Wake Forest and North Carolina aren’t going to be easy, but they’re not the Canes and/or Hokies.

Reunions, potential pitfalls highlight the 2018 ACC football schedule (newsobserver.com; Giglio)

Highlights, and lowlights, of the 2018 ACC football schedule to ponder as you pass the 224 days until the season kicks off:

Remember me?
Hey, Virginia and N.C. State really are in the same conference. So are Duke and Clemson. Amazing.

The ACC killed off some its original matchups when it expanded in 2004. It only got worse in 2013 when it grew to 14 teams.

But every eight years, some of the old foes get together again, like a family reunion. The Wahoos and Wolfpack meet up for the first time since 2012. That’s also the last time the Blue Devils and Tigers played.

Pleased to meet you
Five years after it joined the league, Syracuse will face North Carolina on the football field.

Other

8d5919f6d4765b3bafab1f325e467e4c.jpg

Follow Amazon's roadmap to a vibrant, thriving Syracuse (Commentary) (PS; editorial; Doucette)

Robert Doucette is a property developer in downtown Syracuse. He is a member of the group ReThink 81, which advocates for a community grid to replace the Interstate 81 viaduct through downtown.

By Robert Doucette | Special to Syracuse.com

There is an overarching issue related to the Interstate 81 discussions now confronting Syracuse: the urbanization of America. Cities are the principal players in our economy and are increasingly the place that people choose to call home. And for us to thrive, our entire region needs to embrace strategies that will create such a city.

When Amazon put out its call for proposals for a second headquarters location, it was clear that the site had to be in or near a city that possessed the lifestyle and amenities conducive to attracting and retaining the talent that Amazon requires. The Amazon search criteria are instructive because they give us what amounts to a template for the type of environments that today's businesses are seeking. Their preferences include:

* Metropolitan areas with more than one million people;
* A stable and business-friendly environment;
* Urban or suburban locations with the potential to attract and retain strong technical talent;
* Communities that think big and creatively when considering locations and real estate options.

The elimination of the Route 81 viaduct is such a no brainer it's not even funny.

It is about time that lawmakers stop worrying about any effect a change in Route 81 will have on Destiny.

Destiny will be fine. And in the long run, Destiny is pretty meaningless.

The city and the entire CNY community need exactly what Robert Ducette describes and that should begin with the community grid.

Winnie the Pooh can be seen at the NY Public Library on 5th Avenue

Yes, North to Alaska is now in syndication! Episodes from our 2012 TV series can now be seen (again) on affiliate stations nationwide.

In 1997 we formed ZONK! Productions and began shooting the first outdoor adventure series totally dedicated to featuring the state of Alaska – it’s history, people, culture and wildlife. I’d dreamt of exploring Alaska since I was a kid growing up in the backwoods of Ohio. Now, after 16 years of producing our TV series, there’s hardly a corner of the state Audrey and I haven’t seen with our crew. It was a great experience.

We’ve appreciated comments from many of you, since we left the air 5 years ago, asking about re-airs or urging us to produce the series again. Seems some of us just can’t get enough of Alaska!

Click here to see if North to Alaska is airing on your local channel. Check your local listings for airing dates and times.

The Rush Is On….again!

ZONK

The elimination of the Route 81 viaduct is such a no brainer it's not even funny.

It is about time that lawmakers stop worrying about any effect a change in Route 81 will have on Destiny.

Destiny will be fine. And in the long run, Destiny is pretty meaningless.

The city and the entire CNY community need exactly what Robert Ducette describes and that should begin with the community grid.
81 means nothing. Nothing will help Syracuse while the Cuomo gang pilfers NY.
No business will relocate here with his last plan of theft: eliminating income tax for wage earners and replacing it with a payroll tax on business.
The guy just can't cut spending. To reliant on buying votes.
If that payroll tax passes, my employees will all get a pay cut.
If I could relocate my business, I would, no matter what they do with 81.

Winnie the Pooh can be seen at the NY Public Library on 5th Avenue
All the original stuffed animals. It is pretty cool if you like really old stuffed animals that look just a little like they were eventually drawn.

No business will relocate here with his last plan of theft: eliminating income tax for wage earners and replacing it with a payroll tax on business.

I don't know about the Cuomo plan so I can't comment.

You not getting any help from the giant federal tax cut primarily for businesses? Because wage earners can use all the help they can get.

Yes, North to Alaska is now in syndication! Episodes from our 2012 TV series can now be seen (again) on affiliate stations nationwide.

In 1997 we formed ZONK! Productions and began shooting the first outdoor adventure series totally dedicated to featuring the state of Alaska – it’s history, people, culture and wildlife. I’d dreamt of exploring Alaska since I was a kid growing up in the backwoods of Ohio. Now, after 16 years of producing our TV series, there’s hardly a corner of the state Audrey and I haven’t seen with our crew. It was a great experience.

We’ve appreciated comments from many of you, since we left the air 5 years ago, asking about re-airs or urging us to produce the series again. Seems some of us just can’t get enough of Alaska!

Click here to see if North to Alaska is airing on your local channel. Check your local listings for airing dates and times.

The Rush Is On….again!

ZONK
NYS stations carrying the program:

63EC5B3D-15C3-491C-88D5-0C49AD201D77.jpeg

I wonder where Binghimpton is? ;)