Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
2014_05_FECS_LANDINGPAGE_MiniGolfDay_Headline.jpg

Welcome to Minature Golf Day!

Miniature Golf Day celebrates the miniaturized version of golf, also known as mini-golf, minigolf, crazy golf, or putt-putt. Miniature golf was invented in the late 19th century in Scotland, likely as a way to allow women to golf, as they weren't supposed to raise their arms above shoulder level. The game focused on putting, which kept arms low.

In the late 19th century the sport crossed the Atlantic, and following World War I it became became very popular in the United States. The Thistle Dhu course opened in North Carolina in 1916, ushering in the era of the standardized miniature golf course. With the invention of an artificial green in 1922, the miniature golf boom started, and lasted until the late 1930's when the Great Depression helped to dampen the popularity of the sport. Improvements in obstacles on the green by the Taylor Brothers and Lomma Brothers in the 1950's may have helped the sport to once again gain popularity.

SU News

abb_dinobabers.jpeg

5 reasons Syracuse football will beat Connecticut; 5 reasons UConn will pull upset (PS; Mink)

Syracuse football is looking for its first 4-0 start since 1991 before it hits the road for a major test at Clemson.
To get there, it must get by UConn at 4 Saturday afternoon at the Carrier Dome, a game featuring the return of former SU QB and assistant Randy Edsall.

Edsall's former teammate, Joe Morris, will have his No. 47 jersey retired during the game as well.

That's not the only thing to watch for on Saturday.

Scroll down for why Syracuse will breeze by the Huskies, and why, just maybe, UConn will stun the Orange despite being a 27.5-point dog.

5 REASONS SYRACUSE WILL WIN

1. P-R-E-S-S-U-R-E

Strength coach Sean Edinger had p-r-e-s-s-u-r-e scribbled across eight of his knuckles on Saturday, spelling out the word that encapsulated the 30-7 victory against Florida State.

If Syracuse can replicate the quarterback pressure and stuff the UConn run game, it's going to be very difficult for the Huskies to keep up.

UConn has a strong center in fifth-year senior Ryan Crozier, a St. Thomas Aquinas product, but a strong center did nothing to slow down SU's edge rushers last week.

The Huskies O-line runs at least 6-foot-4 across the board. But with three sophomores up front, UConn is going to have trouble keeping quarterback David Pindell clean.

ColinDavy_FSUvSUEnd_06.jpg

Jarveon Howard

Three Things To Watch For Syracuse Against UConn – Orange Fizz – Free Syracuse Recruiting News (orangefizz.net; Aki)

Through three games, everything has gone according to plan for Dino Babers and company. The Orange is 3-0 for the first time under the head coach, every game has been won in convincing fashion and we’ve seen nothing but “owies” on the field health-wise.

Now, a much inferior UConn comes into the Dome fresh off their way too close win against Rhode Island. In that 56-49 shootout, the Huskies allowed 550 yards of offense to the Rams, an FCS team. In fact, those 49 points are the fewest UConn has allowed all season. Progress, I guess?

Regardless, this Huskies team leaves a lot to be desired. Sure, both their losses came against ranked teams, but allowing 56 and 62 points in those games doesn’t scream moral victories. That being said, Syracuse can’t let last week’s win and receiving votes in the AP Poll create an arrogance in the locker room. Here is what we need to see out of the Orange this weekend:

Dominate on the Ground

To the surprise of some, Moe Neal seems to have taken over the role as the primary back. Last week, Dontae Strickland didn’t get his first carry until the third Orange drive. However, Strickland’s also found success by breaking off big runs from time to time as well as near the goal line. His five touchdowns scored leads the team. But now a new wrinkle is in the mix with Jarveon Howard. The true freshman made a name for himself last week with 55 yards on the ground on just 5 carries. Babers seems to like what he sees in his new running back and this week could call for a lot of Howard if the Orange gets out to a big lead. UConn struggles defensively in all aspects. But exploiting the ground would be good for the backs’ confidences, albeit at the cost of #DungeyForHeisman.

Syracuse Orange v. Connecticut Huskies Predictions - The Juice Online (the juice; Staff)

Syracuse will try to open the season 4-0 when it hosts Connecticut at the Carrier Dome on Saturday at noon. Ahead of the game, The Juice Online’s Brad Bierman and Wes Cheng gave their predictions for the game.

BRAD BIERMAN (Season Predictions, 3-0): Wouldn’t you have enjoyed being inside the Syracuse football compound this week as the offensive coaching staff and that unit were watching wide-eyed on the big screen or their personal devices as Connecticut (1-2) surrendered 56, 62, and 49 points, respectively, in losses at home to Central Florida and at Boise State, and a win over FCS Rhode Island (the last time SU faced Rhode Island in 2015, the final was 47-0)?

The timing of this game fits well with the more important ACC meeting at Big Dog Clemson the following Saturday, giving Dino Babers and his assistants another opportunity to assess the 21 first or second year players (including redshirts) who made the participation report against Florida State last week.

We have a feeling, as we wrote in the preseason, that Randy Edsall will have his team fired up to play on the site where he suited up for Frank Maloney (1976-79) and assisted Dick MacPherson (1981-1990), and his team will respond trailing only 14-10 at halftime.

Sciria: Syracuse football's comeback should help local fans get over Bills' woes (auburn.pub; Sciria)

It's the exact opposite for Syracuse. The Orange look to be a team on the rise after that takedown of Florida State last weekend in the Carrier Sauna, I mean Dome. I was at the game, and I'll admit it was steamy, but it wasn't that bad. I can't blame SU coach Dino Babers for not wanting AC in the Dome next season, it's a nice home field advantage.

Syracuse's 3-0 start is a nice story but lets not get too excited. Wins against Western Michigan and Wagner should be gimmes for any ACC program. Florida State? This is not Bobby Bowden's Seminoles. It isn't Jimbo Fisher's either.

That said, Florida State does boast a lot of talent and it isn't like SU barely won. After a ho-hum first half in which it led 6-0, the Orange played an impressive game of complementary football in which the offense and defense both played great. If they can keep that up, Syracuse can play with almost anybody.

So if the Orange beat UConn, and they're is a 27.5 point favorite (Can anyone remember the last time the Orange were such a huge favorite over a FBS opponent?), Syracuse will only need two wins in its last eight games to be bowl eligible. Should be a cinch, right?

Football Preview: Huskies head up to the great white north to take on Syracuse (dailycampus.com; Swanson)

When UConn heads to Syracuse this weekend, it will likely be head coach Randy Edsall’s final trip as a head coach to the place where he made his bones as a football player, then as a graduate assistant for the Orange from 1976 to 1990.

“I’ve got nothing but great memories of Syracuse. Frank Malone, my college coach gave me the opportunity to go there first and foremost on a scholarship,” Edsall said. “Lucky for me, I met the love of my life there Eileen, and lucky for me Frank gave me the opportunity to get into this profession.”

Edsall will make his last entrance into the Carrier Dome for the foreseeable future this Saturday at 4 p.m. with a very young UConn team whose struggles on defense have been well documented in recent weeks, despite getting their first win of the season last Saturday against Rhode Island

They’re the first team since the turn of the century to give up 2,000 yards of total offense in the first three weeks of the season, and the built-in explanation has been youth- the Huskies have started more freshmen on defense than any other Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) program this year.
“I don’t care who you are, if you’re starting that many young guys as we are, you’re not gonna have the stats,” Edsall said in a press conference Tuesday. “If we can get them to play hard and keep giving a great effort each and every day in practice and the meeting rooms, we’ll get it to pay off for us.”

Former Syracuse University football and New York Giants running back Joe Morris’ No.47 has been retired and hangs in the rafters at the Carrier Dome. Syracuse.com’s Brent Axe looks back on Morris’ impact as an Orange running back who, despite not wearing the famed No.44 at SU, carved out his own strong legacy.

Inside Seminole Football: Episode 3 Syracuse

Inside Seminole Football: Episode 3 Syracuse

Staff Roundtable: How will the Hoos do in the ACC? Which team has surprised so far? (streakingthelawn.com; Darney)

We are on the cusp of starting the ACC season, and Virginia welcomes Louisville to kick things off this weekend. With three games in the books, we asked the staff here at Streaking the Lawn how they think the Hoos will fare in the ACC this season, and which team has been a surprise (good or bad) so far this season.

Let us know your thoughts in the comment section below!

Pierce: I think the Hoos will go 3-5 in the ACC games, with wins over Louisville, UNC, and one of the Duke/Pitt/GT group (probably GT if I have to pick). While Miami has struggled some early this year, I don’t think UVa’s going to have enough to keep up with the Canes...and I’ll predict a win against VT after I see the streak is over with my own eyes. NCSU should be too strong to realistically predict a W - so best case scenario would be 4-4 with two wins in the tossup group. The biggest changes for me have been VT answering questions about their defensive roster and its ability (though the FSU win sure looks less impressive), Louisville’s inability to score, and just how terrible UNC has looked so far. All three are relatively unexpected, but the debacle in Chapel Hill is probably the most dramatic.

Tiki: I agree with Pierce that 3-5 looks like the most likely outcome. The three home games are all winnable, with both Louisville and UNC seeming like obvious win opportunities. We still don’t really know what Pitt is, but GT might not be good and we’ve historically played pretty well in Atlanta. Since I don’t see Virginia beating Miami, NC State or VT, Pitt/GT are the key games. Both of those games are probably in the “toss up” category right now, so let’s say they got 1-1. I’m also (pleasantly) surprised at just how bad UNC has been. But that’s a matter of degree, because we already knew they were bad. But FSU is shocking. Yeah, they struggled last year. But we all assumed that was largely due to the injuries, and eventually the team basically giving up. This year, they seem healthy, they were top 20 preseason and they look like garbage. They’re 123rd nationally in scoring, against a pretty easy schedule (VT notwithstanding). That’s the biggest surprise, by far in my opinion.

UNC Football: What to look for in ACC play (tarheelblog.com; Cowden)

Carolina opens ACC play against Pitt this week. As I mentioned in my season preview Carolina’s out of conference schedule was going to set the tone for their expectations of how far they could go this season. Including the Pitt game, I outlined how crucial it would be for UNC to get at least two wins, if not three, for their bowl hopes.

Fast forward to the middle of September, and the best that Carolina can do heading into the back to back games against Miami and Virginia Tech is having one singular win, (and Pitt looks better than their box scores would indicate.) Carolina did miss the chance for a win against UCF due to Hurricane Florence, and that’s far from a bye week. But it did give the coaching staff some time after the East Carolina loss to (hopefully) figure out how to fix all the on field problems, so that UNC can still salvage their season.

Carolina plays Pitt Saturday, then they have a short week and a Thursday night game against Miami. between the Miami and Virginia Tech game Carolina has seventeen days off. So from the Cal game, to now, to Virginia Tech and the last stretch of the season Carolina is going to look extremely different. Here are a few things to watch for that could look different than the first two games of the year.

Running back rotation

In fall camp the discussion was how both returning backs Jordon Brown and Michael Carter, as well as Ohio State transfer Antonio Williams could be the strongest position group this season. Michael Carter broke his wrist in fall camp, so we expected to see Williams receive most of the early down work, and Brown take over as the obvious passing down running back.

ACC has made it tougher, not easier, for Notre Dame football (indystar.com; Woods)

To contend for college football’s national championship, Notre Dame needs to play a tough schedule.
Its agreement with the Atlantic Coast Conference has met that requirement. Now the question is: Is the ACC too tough for the Fighting Irish?

The No. 8 Irish (3-0) will play the first of five ACC games Saturday (noon, ABC) at Wake Forest (2-1). The Demon Deacons have never beaten a Top-10 opponent at home, and the fact they are seven-point underdogs suggests they have a chance to do so.

In the teams’ first meeting, won by Notre Dame 24-17 in 2011, a crowd of 36,307 turned out at 31,500-seat BB&T Field in Winston-Salem, N.C. It was the smallest venue to host Notre Dame since World War II.
Coach Brian Kelly told ESPN last year that the Irish have no “breather games” the week before playing rivals, as some peers do. Wake Forest does not qualify as a breather.

Indeed, if the Irish win, their College Football Playoff fate could be sealed in the following two weeks: home against No. 7 Stanford and at No. 10 Virginia Tech. Stanford is at No. 19 Oregon on Saturday (8 p.m., ABC).

Brownlow: Potential for a lot of humor this weekend in ACC football :: WRALSportsFan.com (wralsportsfan.com; audio; Brownlow)

WRALsportsfan.com's Lauren Brownlow joins Adam and Joe to tell us why she's so excited for this weekend's slate of ACC football games, how UNC recovers from a poor start to the season and FSU's chances against Northern Illinois.

Maryland regents haven't told McNairs of findings (espn; Dinich)

The University System of Maryland Board of Regents on Friday will announce the findings of an investigation into the death of Maryland offensive lineman Jordan McNair.

However, it has not told McNair's parents about the status of the report nor given them a chance to redact any private health information, according to a letter sent Thursday from the family attorney to board chairman James T. Brady.

The USM board will hold its regularly scheduled meeting at 9 a.m. ET on Friday at Towson University and will enter a closed session during which members will be briefed by Rod Walters, a nationally recognized sports medicine consultant. Maryland hired Walters to determine whether the football staff followed proper protocol on May 29, when the 19-year-old McNair suffered heatstroke at a workout. He died two weeks later, on June 13, from heatstroke.

The law firm Murphy, Falcon & Murphy wrote in a letter, obtained by ESPN, that McNair's parents didn't know the report would be released Friday until learning about it through the media.

"Jordan's parents do not want to learn the details about what happened to their son by watching television tomorrow and seeing a press conference," wrote Hassan Murphy, a managing partner at the law firm.
Murphy pointed out in the letter that "the family has the right to review the report and insist on redaction of any material that would violate Jordan's privacy rights or violate federal state health privacy laws."

https://www.si.com/college-football...orado-indiana-boston-college-undefeated-teams (SI; Axson)

Entering this weekend, there are 34 undefeated teams left in the FBS, and by the time November rolls around, that number should be cut down much closer to single digits. But as this young season unfolds, a few teams that weren’t on many people’s preseason radar have remained among the ranks of the unbeaten long enough to be noticed.
None of these teams listed below have a signature win to date as conference play heats up, but that doesn’t mean that they should be ignored. Will any of the teams win a conference title this season? That may be too much to ask, but we’ve seen enough from them so far that opponents should be cautious.

OREGON

It’s understandable why Oregon would not be on many people’s radar this early in the season. The Ducks have a new coach in Mario Cristobal, their non-conference schedule could be generously described as soft and they appeared to be buried in the Pac-12 North race behind two playoff hopefuls in Washington and Stanford. (Saturday’s primetime game against Stanford should serve as a measuring stick to that end.) But a few things are working for the Ducks early on.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...contender-college-footballs-award/1356073002/ (usatoday.com)

Each week during the season, the USA TODAY Sports college staff (Jace Evans, Paul Myerberg, George Schroeder, Erick Smith and Eddie Timanus) will provide their answers to on an intriguing question from college football.
Through three weeks of the college football season there have been many outstanding individual performances. Which player is the top contender for the Heisman Trophy?

Jace Evans

Ohio State quarterback Dwyane Haskins deserves mention for his sterling performance in the early part of the season, but West Virginia quarterback Will Grier has the inside track to the Heisman Trophy. He’s completing a stunning 76.7 percent of his passes and has nine touchdowns to just one interception. And he’s only played two games as the Mountaineers’ contest at North Carolina State last weekend was canceled due to Hurricane Florence. Playing for noted pass enthusiast Dana Holgorsen, with targets like Gary Jennings Jr. and David Sills V to throw to, and with Big 12 defenses still to go against, it’s hard to see Grier slowing down.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/more/la-sp-college-football-notes-20180920-story.html (latimes.com; AP)

Ryquell Armstead ran for 108 yards and a touchdown, the Temple defense scored on two of its five turnovers and the Owls defeated Tulsa 31-17 on Thursday night at Philadelphia in an American Athletic Conference opener for both teams.

Armstead scored the 22nd touchdown of his career, tying Anthony Anderson and Matt Brown for fourth on Temple’s list, to make the score 21-7 in the second quarter.

Armstead, who needed only 30 yards to become the ninth Owl with 2,000 all-time rushing yards, reached the 100-yard mark for the third consecutive game.

Temple (2-2) made it four games in a row with a non- offensive touchdown after freshman Ty Mason returned an interception 37 yards for a 7-0 lead.

Karamo Dioubate returned a fumble for a 50-yard score in the third quarter.

Temple sealed it with a fake punt that went for 28 yards late in the fourth.

Luke Skipper of Tulsa (1-3) passed for 195 yards but had three passes intercepted and fumbled twice. Tulsa linebacker Cooper Edmiston intercepted two passes, the second leading to Corey Taylor II’s five-yard touchdown run to make the score 28-17 early in the fourth quarter. But Skipper fumbled on the Golden Hurricane’s next possession.

Other

1c3_casey_joinedjpeg.jpeg

https://www.syracuse.com/business-n...se_lakefront_areas_new_restaurant_photos.html (PS; Moriarty)

The Preserve Tavern & Grille, the Syracuse lakefront area's newest restaurant, is set to open Monday in a former industrial building that underwent a $1.5 million transformation.

The Preserve is the latest partnership between Montreal Construction Co. and Doug LaLone, operator of the popular Gem diner a few blocks away. Montreal owns both buildings and leases them to LaLone.
It is in the former D.R. Casey Construction building at 405 Spencer St. Montreal Construction purchased the vacant, run-down building from Donald Casey for $172,500 in 2013 and completed its transformation this week.

The Preserve will be open from 11:30 a.m. to 11 p.m. Monday through Saturday and 11:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Sundays.

The Preserve has interior seating for 125 - and patio seating for approximately 40 more people. The patio, which overlooks the Onondaga Creekwalk, contains a fire pit and will soon have a large flat-screen television.

The restaurant features a large copper bar, decked out with LED lights that can change colors. It will serve more than 30 types of beers and wines.

One section of the restaurant can be rented out for events. It contains numerous large photos depicting scenes from the salt industry, which dominated the area in the mid- to late-1800s. Montreal Construction unearthed the remains of an old brine pump house between the restaurant's parking lot and Spencer Street during the building's renovations.

In addition to The Preserve, the building houses the Werksman marketing Inc. office furniture showroom.
The Preserve's menu includes gourmet burgers, pot roast dinners, sandwiches, salads, pizzas, chicken riggies, pasta dishes, filet mignon and fish dinners. In addition, it will have four or five specials every day, he said.

Taggert looks like he's making a hostage tape.

I do miss having a coaches show like that. If he doesn't want to take the time to do it then have Adam and Julian do a 60 minute show using the all 22 to review the game.

Taggert looks like he's making a hostage tape.

I do miss having a coaches show like that. If he doesn't want to take the time to do it then have Adam and Julian do a 60 minute show using the all 22 to review the game.
`Totally agree about Taggert. Comes across as a real stiff. What a contrast with our guy Dino!