Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
National-Whipped-Cream-Day-January-5-e1481564569527-640x320.jpg

Welcome to National Whipped Cream Day!

National Whipped Cream Day is celebrated on the birthday of Aaron S. "Bunny" Lapin, one of the founders of Reddi-Wip whipped cream. He created Reddi-Wip in 1948, and applied for a patent for "dispensing valves for gas pressure containers" the following year, receiving the patent in 1955. Reddi-Wip began being nationally distributed in 1954, and Lapin sold the company in 1963. Today it is owned by ConAgra foods, and is the second most eaten brand of whipped topping in the United States.

Whipped cream is made by taking heavy cream—of at least 35% fat—and aerating it until it is light and fluffy. Reddi-Wip is created by using nitrous gas. The injecting of gas such as this under high pressure using a whipping siphon is one of two ways to aerate heavy cream. The other way is to use a speed blade, whip, whisk, or mixer. While doing so, the cream becomes about double the volume of the original cream. The higher the fat content of the cream, the easier whipped cream is to make. It is also best to use ingredients and equipment that are cold.

Whipped cream first came about in the sixteenth century, and was originally called "milk snow." Until the end of the nineteenth century it was whipped with willow or rush branches, and foam on the surface was skimmed off. It then became easier to whip because of the invention of the centrifuge, which increased the fat content of the cream that went through it.

SU News

XSBRTC6SJRHUXGUNVYRPLRSSQM.JPG

Syracuse classmate: Floyd Little was ‘the best I ever saw’ (Commentary) (PS; $; McLane)

Brian McLane, Syracuse University Class of 1968 and recipient of the school’s highest alumni honor, is a lifelong SU fan and advocate for the rights is the disabled in New York state.

Anyone who knows me knows I bleed orange. Syracuse Orange, that is.

As a kid, I attended Percy Hughes, a special school that, back in the day, butted up against one side of the Syracuse University campus. At Westhill, I served as a statistician for the Orange basketball team under Coach Fred Lewis. Then, as an undergraduate, I actually went to Syracuse. And now, as I find myself on life’s victory lap, I live full time in the Sheraton University on the Hill, in the shadows of the Carrier Dome, Marshall Street and the Hall of Languages.

As many also know, I love sports. Sports have been both a passion and sanctuary for me throughout my life. And my tireless pursuit of those two loves — SU and SU sports — has given me license to now declare (proudly, I might add) that it’s entirely possible no one alive has seen more Syracuse University basketball and football games than I have.

Syracuse Football: Floyd Little will always remain ‘Mr. Syracuse University’ (itlh; Adler)

The love that Syracuse football icon Floyd Little has for his alma mater is unrivaled.

There are so many passionate and proud Syracuse University alums out there, myself included, but none of us can match the admiration for the ‘Cuse that the late Floyd Little, a Syracuse football treasure, possessed.

Little, 78, the Pro and College Football Hall of Famer who sadly passed away on Jan. 1, 2021, after battling cancer, brought such a wonderful love and spirit to the Hill, from his days as a legendary player in the 1960s to his time as special assistant to the director of athletics for the Orange from 2011 to 2016.

Per cuse.com, “In 2016, Little was presented with an honorary doctorate in humane letters from Syracuse University” – and deservingly so.

Tom Coughlin, a Super Bowl champion and former NFL head coach and executive, was a teammate of Little’s for Syracuse football. Coughlin made some touching comments about Little via Twitter, noting his shining personality, character, integrity and work ethic.

A statement from Tom Coughlin on the passing of Floyd Little. pic.twitter.com/ppazl96JJp
— Tom Coughlin Jay Fund (@tcjayfund) January 2, 2021
Additionally, in the cuse.com announcement, Coughlin said of Little, “No one loves Syracuse University as Floyd Little loves Syracuse University. He truly is Mr. Syracuse University.”

Assistant Coach Profile: Nick Monroe is a relentless recruiter (247sports.com; Lake)

The Miami Hurricanes are now looking for a new safeties coach.

Ephraim Banda will reportedly accept the defensive coordinator duties at Utah State fairly soon and now head coach Manny Diaz will look to fill that vacancy.

One of the intriguing names to be aware of is Syracuse assistant Nick Monroe.

Read on for a closer look at Monroe’s background and why he might be a good fit as the replacement for Banda.

EXPERIENCE

2002-03 Allegheny College (secondary)
2004 Colgate (outside linebackers)
2005 Colgate (outside linebackers / recruiting coordinator)
2006-08 Colgate (secondary / recruiting coordinator)
2009 Colgate (co-defensive coordinator / secondary / recruiting coordinator)
2010-15 Bowling Green (secondary)
2016-17 Syracuse (secondary)
2018-present Syracuse (safeties / nickelbacks)

Monroe has worked his way up the coaching ranks, starting his career at the Division III level before spending six seasons at the Division IAA level at Colgate.

At Bowling Green, Monroe was hired by Dave Clawson, who is now at Wake Forest and retained by incoming coach Dino Babers in 2014.

Monroe then followed Babers to Syracuse in 2016.

RECRUITING SUCCESS

Monroe has been the primary recruiter and has won some impressive recruiting battles during his time at Syracuse.

The highest rated recruit Monroe has landed was four-star Trill Williams, who hails from White Plains, New York and was out of the 2018 class. Williams stuck whit his commitment to Syracuse despite offers from programs like Pittsburgh, Boston College, and Temple.

https://www.espnsyracuse.com/2021/01/04/30-minutes-in-orange-nation-1-4-4/; radio; Steve & Seth)

Steve and Seth open the show remembering the life of Syracuse Football legend Floyd Little. Then, they discuss Ohio State’s victory over Clemson on Friday and whether or not it affects Trevor Lawrence’s draft stock. Later, they examine the NCAA’s plan to have March Madness in Indianapolis.

On The Block On Demand 1-4 (ESPN; radio; Axe)

Brent opens the show remembering Syracuse legend Floyd Little after news of his passing this weekend. Later, he turns to Syracuse Basketball as the Orange gets back on the court following another 14 day pause for the program.

Teel: ACC football follows historic regular season with its worst postseason (richmond.com; Teel)

Following the 2017 regular season, the SEC finished a collective 4-5 in bowls, the conference’s worst showing in 15 years. No one cared.

No one cared because the SEC became the first league to place two teams in the College Football Playoff. Most memorable, Georgia and Alabama won their semifinals, and the Crimson Tide defeated the Bulldogs in a breathtaking national championship game won on Tua Tagovailoa’s overtime touchdown pass to DeVonta Smith.

This season, amid unique and incalculable COVID-19 weirdness, the ACC became the second conference to occupy half of the four-team playoff. But its teams went 0-6 in bowls, an unprecedented buzzkill that can’t be whitewashed.

There were extenuating circumstances.

Miami lost quarterback D’Eriq King to a serious knee injury in the second quarter of its 37-34 Cheez-It Bowl loss to Oklahoma State. Four all-ACC players, including three first-teamers, opted out of North Carolina’s 41-27 Orange Bowl setback to Texas A&M.

North Carolina State’s defense was decimated by injury and an opt-out for its 23-21 Gator Bowl defeat to Kentucky. Boston College, Pittsburgh, Virginia and Virginia Tech declined postseason consideration.

But that accumulation doesn’t erase some decidedly poor performances.

2020-21 College football bowl records by conference: Big 12 and MAC are perfect, while ACC disappoints (cbssports.com; Palm)

Like everything else in this college football season, the bowl season was an adventure. There were 42 bowl games originally scheduled and one added after the season started, but ultimately, only 25 were played. All but four of the 18 cancellations came before those games' matchups were announced.

COVID-19 problems canceled the Frisco, Gasparilla, Music City and Texas bowls after their teams had been announced. That kicked out two of the four SEC teams that got bowl bids despite records of 3-7 or worse. A third, Tennessee, had to drop out of the Liberty Bowl; however, it was replaced by Army West Point.

No. 15 Iowa was the only ranked team to have its bowl canceled. The Hawkeyes were to play Missouri in the Music City Bowl, but the Tigers could not play due to COVID-19. The only other team of note that ended up not getting to play in a bowl was UAB, the Conference USA champions. The Blazers were originally scheduled for the Gasparilla Bowl, but South Carolina had to drop out.

One of the unique things about this bowl season is that, for many teams, these were their first nonconference games. The SEC, Big Ten and MAC did not play any nonconference games during the regular season. Colorado played the only nonconference game the Pac-12 allowed.

How Can the ACC Get More Money? (RX; HM)

How Can the ACC Get More Money?

OK, now that football season is over, let's get back to economics. The SEC is kicking the ACC's tail in terms of revenue. What can the ACC do about it? The standard answer is "add Notre Dame football full time" - but the last I heard, that's not really an option (neither is adding Penn State, Tennessee, or Texas). So what are some realistic things the ACC could do to increase conference revenue?

Play 10 P5 Games each year.

The Big XII and the Big Ten both employed this method to increase the T1 value of their TV contracts by simply playing more power five games. In their cases, those leagues both play 9 conference games plus one P5 non-conference game per team (with a few exceptions). It's worth noting that the last time the ACC negotiated with ESPN over TV rights, the ACC was told that 8 conference plus 2 P5 non-conference games would pay just as good as 9+1. All ESPN cares about is how many P5-vs-P5 games can you give them.

We've looked at this before and concluded that it's definitely possible for all 14 ACC teams to schedule 2 P5 non-conference games each (see "Is 8+2 schedule mathematically possible?") The fact of the matter is, many ACC teams are already doing this. For example, in 2021...

• Clemson is set to play both Georgia and South Carolina;
  • Duke has Northwestern and Kansas;
  • Florida State has both Notre Dame and Florida;
  • Georgia Tech has Notre Dame and Georgia;
  • Louisville has both Ole Miss and Kentucky;
  • Miami has Alabama and Michigan State;
  • Virginia plays Illinois, BYU and Notre Dame;
  • Virginia Tech has both West Virginia and Notre Dame.
UNC plays Wake Forest OOC, in addition to at Notre Dame (Wake doesn't play a second P5 opponent, but they do play Army, which most leagues count).

The other ACC teams play one true P5 non-coference opponent, plus one independent...

• Boston College is set to play Missouri plus UMass (plus Temple)
  • NC State has Mississippi State plus a pair of G5 teams
  • Pitt has Tennessee plus UMass (plus Western Michigan)
  • Syracuse has Rutgers plus Liberty (plus Ohio U)
There are so many teams scheduled to play 10 P5 games next year that it makes me wonder if the ACC has already agreed to this in exchange for more money?

ACC FB TV Viewership, 2018 vs 2019 (RX; HM)

ACC FB TV Viewership, 2018 vs 2019

Here's my analysis of the best non-Clemson, non-Notre Dame, ACC conference football games in terms of TV viewership numbers for 2018 and 2019...

2019 was the inaugural season of the ACC Network and ESPN put some of the best ACC games on the ACCN to drive distribution. 2020 wasn't a fair test with the COVID cancellations and all that, but if we look back on 2018 we can compare TV schedules, even with the restrictions of "non-Clemson" and "conference games only" (thus, no Notre Dame either, and only games with over 1 million viewers):

2018 ACC Games Over 1M
VT-FSU ESPN 5.576M
UVa-VT ABC 3.553M
FSU-Miami ABC 2.810M
FSU-Syr ESPN 1.869M
Miami-BC ESPN 1.360M
Pitt-UVa ESPN2 1.359M
FSU-NC St ABC 1.347M
Lou-Syr ESPN2 1.062M
FSU-Lou ESPN2 1.057M
UNC-Miami ESPN 1.007M
Total of 10 games over 1 million

Other

ZEONUBOU7JDHLIRDNN3FHS45GM.jpg

The Rainbow Bridge spans the Niagara River and connects Niagara Falls, N.Y., left, to Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada. Wednesday, March 18, 2020 as seen from the New York side of the border. The U.S.-Canada border has been closed to non-essential land travel due to the coronavirus pandemic.AP Photo/Jeffrey T. Barnes

US border closed? Canadians find a way through Upstate NY (reports) (PS; Herbert)

The U.S.-Canada border has been closed to non-essential travel since the coronavirus pandemic began, but some Canadian snowbirds have found a way through Upstate New York.

Vertical magazine reports an Ontario-based company, Great Lakes Helicopter Corp., has been providing cross-border ferry flights into the U.S. since Nov. 3. For $1200 Canadian (or 939 US dollars), a three-seat Robinson R44 helicopter takes passengers from Hamilton International Airport to Buffalo Niagara International Airport in just 35 minutes.

For an extra $700 Canadian (or $548 US), Great Lakes Helicopters can also ship travelers’ cars on a commercial transport through a trucking company to the same location. The Buffalo News reports they’re allowed “unfettered entry into the United States,” unlike private vehicles.

Dwayne Henderson, general manager at Great Lakes Helicopter, told Vertical that his customers have no security or customs in Hamilton, but U.S. Customs and Border Patrol will meet with their chopper when it lands in Buffalo.

“They’ve been very friendly; there have been no issues at all,” Henderson said. “It’s an easy process other than the wait times—there could be a bit of waiting in terms of how fast the truck gets across the border with their car. Passengers are very happy with the service. They think we have a great business model.”