Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
National-Deep-Dish-Pizza-Day.jpg
Welcome to National Deep Dish
Pizza Day!

National Deep Dish Pizza Day celebrates deep-dish pizza, a variation of the Chicago-style pizza. The pizza was created at Chicago's Pizzeria Uno in 1943, either by the pizzeria's founder, Ike Sewell, or by its original pizza chef, Rudy Malnati. A high-edged steel pan, almost resembling a cake or pie pan, is used to bake the pizza. It is oiled so the pizza can be easily removed, and to give the crust a fried look. Dough is pressed on the bottom and sides of the pan; the buttery, cornmeal crust is not very thick itself but may be three inches tall on the edges, in order to hold all the ingredients.

The great thickness of the pizza after the ingredients are added means that it needs a longer baking time. If cheese was placed on the top it would burn, so with this type of pizza the order of toppings is reversed. The crust is covered with cheese, often sliced mozzarella. Meats such as pepperoni or sausage are then added, as well as vegetables such as mushrooms, onions, and green peppers. Uncooked sauce, usually made from crushed canned tomatoes, goes on top.

SU News

878a0ca9-9fd0-486a-937f-663da85b5b9b-AP20286650149675.jpg

Syracuse finally back at football practice (AP; Kekis)

Syracuse opened football practice this week and it sure felt good after a one-year hiatus, even just wearing shorts.

“It’s not like Christmas morning, but it’s exciting,” coach Dino Babers said. "It’s fun to see the kids ready to go. The biggest thing about this year is that we didn't have a spring last year. No team did. We've got guys on our team that have game experience, which is valuable. That's money in the bank. It makes you better. But they haven't had the skillset that they needed to have. Now it's time to go back and give them the tool belt.”

Syracuse is coming off one of the worst seasons in program history. The Orange finished 1-10 overall and 1-9 in the Atlantic Coast Conference, tied for last with Duke, which beat the Orange in the Carrier Dome.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spon...ch-made-heaven-every-kind-sleeper/4835907001/
“We understand what happened last year, but that team has nothing to do with what this team is going to be," said Babers, in his sixth year with the Orange. "It is entirely a brand new day. The teams change drastically from year to year. We need to seize the day and get after it.”

Practice was set to switch to pads on Friday and Babers said every position is up for grabs, including quarterback. Two-year starter Tommy DeVito was hurt last season and missed the final seven games, all losses, with a lower-body injury. Two other quarterbacks were knocked out of games behind a porous, injury-riddled offensive line that allowed 38 sacks, or 3.45 per game. That left the Orange ranked 118th out of 127 Bowl Subdivision teams.

Rx: At Least $3.8M More per Team (RX; HM)

Rx: At Least $3.8M More per Team

The Stated Goal
In an interview with ESPN, new ACC Commissioner Jim Phillips suggested that ACC schools should prioritize its biggest revenue stream - football - across all schools, and that emphasizing football or basketball shouldn't be a "zero-sum" decision. "We can have it all", Phillips said.

My Problem with that

I don't agree. Don't get me wrong - the ACC can be good at both sports, I just don't think every school can afford to spend the resources to be good at both. Certainly, in my opinion, more ACC football programs should step up, but that doesn't mean that every school should prioritize football over basketball. Some schools are simply unable (or unwilling) to do a good job at both. Therefore, I propose the following strategy:

Try to do both well:
North Carolina
Louisville
Virginia
Emphasis on football:
Boston College
Clemson
Florida State
Georgia Tech
Miami
NC State
Pitt
Syracuse
Virginia Tech
Emphasis on basketball:
Duke
Wake Forest

Syracuse and Wake Forest

I recognize that Syracuse has been a basketball-first school for a long time, and that Wake Forest has been football-first, but I think it's time for those programs to switch their emphasis.
Jim Boeheim is getting old, and his retirement is imminent - when that happens, Orange men's basketball is likely to take a step back regardless. However, if Orange fans think Syracuse needs to be in the basketball-first group, I have no problem with that.
Wake has taken their best shot at football, and all it's really gotten them is one top 25 finish, six bowl wins (all minor), and a 0.480 record overall (0.384 in the ACC) over the last two decades. That's the Jim Grobe / Dave Clawson ceiling, folks. Prior to Grobe, the Deacs were an all-time 0.327 ACC team. Winning seasons are few and far between.

Duke

As for Duke, I saw this post over on CSNBBS: a user who goes by Statefan posted a comment which, in part, included this statement...

...I think the path to a healthy ACC relative to the Big 10 and SEC is to get Duke off the football field. They tried to mothball the program in the 90's and got the 'come to Jesus' scolding from Swofford but no amount of harangue is going to change the fundamentals - top egghead schools, and schools that are tracking toward being heavily female, just don't support football...

Of course that comment about 'tracking toward being heavily female' is a shot at rival UNC, but the Duke comment is worth considering for a moment.

My Rx

One of the few legitimate ideas for improving ACC revenue is to switch Duke and Wake to the "Notre Dame" deal: i.e. 20% of the ACC Tier 1 TV payout, 100% of the ACCN payout, all sports but football, but with an agreement to play 5 games per year, alternating 2 or 3 home/away games.
Why Duke and Wake? Because there is just one state in the ACC footprint with too many schools to support them all for football - the state of North Carolina. It needs to drop down to two football teams - period; basketball teams are another matter - the state can support four of those easily.

Other

E6YPLQIVJ5DKZECIXTB5ERESOY.jpg

After almost a decade with Liverpool football, the waterboys look to finish their careers as winners (PS; $; Carlson)

The last time the Liverpool football team won a sectional title, Brendan Mancuso spent the season sprinting to the end zone to try to be the first to congratulate Jaydakis Scott after all 27 of his touchdowns.

Jonathan Worthen still has the souvenirs from the year’s trip to the Carrier Dome, including the pass that got him onto the sidelines and a sticker from Scott’s helmet. Mike Nigro was bounced around during the locker room celebrations, a seventh-grader unafraid to throw his weight around alongside -- and well below -- an assortment of high school football players.

Each of them had NFL heroes growing up. They also had real-life versions, the type that would share their Skittles, take them to dinner, teach them at summer camps and drop them off with their parents.

For five Liverpool seniors, this season marks the end of nearly a decade spent around the program. It’s a journey that began with them serving as waterboys and idolizing their elders and will finish with them growing into winners and leaders of the program.

“It was the greatest thing in the world,” Mancuso said of his time as a waterboy. “We looked up to all the players. We thought they were as big as NFL players. It’s so cool now to be in that spot now where we’re playing.”