Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Welcome to National Microwave Oven Day!

Microwave ovens are great for reheating leftovers, making popcorn, melting butter and chocolate, and heating water. These are just a few of the reasons why microwaves deserve their own day, and are celebrated today. The improvement of the cavity magnetron—which made the production of small wavelengths (microwaves) possible—allowed the magnetron to be used in World War II in radar technology. Following the war, Percy Spencer, an employee at Raytheon, was testing the new radar technology. He accidentally discovered the heating effect of the technology when a chocolate bar in his pocket melted. He then tried some popcorn and got it to pop, and followed this by trying to cook an egg, which exploded in the face of another experimenter. Spencer found out he could feed the power from the magnetron into a metal box where it couldn't escape, and observed that food placed in the box would rise in temperature quickly.

On October 8, 1945, Raytheon filed a patent for a microwave oven. In 1947, Raytheon produced the Radarange, a microwave which stood almost six feet tall, and cost $5,000—$54,000 in 2016 dollars. Raytheon licensed its patents to Tappan, which introduced a microwave in 1955, which was still too large and expensive for everyday home use. It cost $1,295, which is almost $12,000 in 2016 dollars. In 1965, Raytheon acquired Amana, and introduced a countertop microwave in 1967 for $495, which is still about $3,600 in 2016 dollars.

Soon afterwards, Litton developed a microwave oven that is similar in shape to the ones that are popular today, and it further helped popularize home microwaves. In 1971 there were about 40,000 microwaves in use in the United States, but my 1975 there were a million. Although some early models leaked, giving them a bad reputation, their popularity continued to grow. In the 1980's recipes abounded, as well as consumer goods such as microwave cupcake kits. Most of these things weren't very good. Still, by 1986 about 25% of households in the United States had a microwave, and by 1997 the number had risen to over 90%.

SU News

Syracuse Football: My Hanukkah/Christmas wish list for the Orange (itlh; Fiello)

With the Syracuse football season over and as Hanukkah winds down and Christmas gears up, one can only wonder about the gift you may receive. Since these holidays often provide people the opportunity to make a list of things they’d want, I wanted to do one for the future of Syracuse football.

In honor of Hanukkah being 8 days long, I will limit my list to 8 items I’d want to receive this holiday season as it relates to the Orange.

Here’s my holiday wish list for Syracuse football.

Baby Come Back: Number 1 on my list has to be bringing back key players especially Sean Tucker, Mikel Jones, Garrett Williams, Duce Chesnut, Marlowe Wax and Matthew Bergeron. Obviously, I’d love to have more back (in fact I can’t think of anyone I wouldn’t want back if eligible) but I definitely think these are key pieces for at least a successful 2022.

No Offense But I Want A Fun Offense: Following right behind that, my other biggest wish is an offensive coordinator who will open up the playbook. I’m just a fan and don’t know who it should be, but I hope it’s someone who will utilize the players we have (including tight ends) and the players coming in efficiently and effectively. You’ve got a Clydesdale in Tucker who needs to be a corner piece but not the only piece if this team wants to get to the next level.

Kadin Bailey 'Loved Everything About' Syracuse Official Visit (SI; $; McAllister)

Kadin Bailey 'Loved Everything About' Syracuse Official Visit

The class of 2022 linebacker has great bloodlines.

Syracuse transfer Taj Harris decommits from Kentucky (247sports.com; Terry)

Syracuse wide receiver transfer Taj Harris committed to Kentucky in early November, but he will not be enrolling next semester. Harris tweeted on Sunday morning that he was decommitting from Kentucky. A source told Catspause.com that there were concerns that Harris would have enough academic credits to transfer and be eligible at Kentucky.

Harris was one of the ACC's most productive wide receivers during his three-year stint with the Orange. He totaled 151 catches, 2,028 yards and 10 touchdowns while at Syracuse. He decided to transfer after three games this season. In addition to Kentucky, Harris was also pursued heavily in the transfer portal by Ole Miss, Western Kentucky, Texas A&M, Mississippi State and Utah.

"Syracuse thank you for all the love and support," Harris wrote on Twitter when he announced his transfer. "(Syracuse coach Dino Babers) thank you for being the (role model) I needed in my life s well as the coaching staff. With that being said I am entering the transfer portal. Love y'all."

The New Jersey native is ranked as the No. 1 wide receiver in the transfer portal and was given a four-star grade.

“Harris is a quality outside vertical threat with start and stop ability. He can run the full route tree and create separation from defensive backs. Big catch radius at 6-foot-2 but still needs to add size and get stronger at 180 pounds,” 247Sports' Clint Brewster said in his analysis.

Film review: What could Syracuse QB transfer Tommy DeVito bring to Illini? (247sports.com; $; Werner)

Brandon Peters
out of eligibility and backup Artur Sitkowski out for spring ball with two separate injuries, the Illini have urgency to bring in an experienced, starting-caliber quarterback — ideally by next month so he can participate in spring ball — to help bridge the gap to Bret Bielema’s hand-picked prep quarterbacks and allow Illinois (5-7 last season, 4-5 Big Ten) to remain competitive in the Big Ten.

The Illini hosted their first option over the weekend with Syracuse transfer Tommy DeVito making a visit to Champaign. The former four-star prospect from New Jersey passed for 3,866 yards, 28 touchdowns and 12 interceptions over four seasons with the Orange but missed most of the 2020 season with an injury and was unseated for the starting job by Garrett Shrader, a more mobile option who helped Syracuse coach Dino Babers flip to a more option-style offense.

DeVito, who will graduate this month and be able to enroll at his next school in January, has just one year of eligibility remaining, but he put up big numbers as a sophomore (63.0% completion rate, 2,360 passing yards, 19 touchdowns and five interceptions) and has the skill set Tony Petersen told Illini Inquirer last month he’d want in a transfer quarterback.

2021 ACC CG Wrap-Up (RX; HM)

2021 ACC CG Wrap-Up
From the official ACC release of Sunday, Dec. 5, 2021...

ACC CG
Pitt Rolls Past Wake Forest to Claim First ACC Football Title

Kenny Pickett accounted for three touchdowns and Erick Hallett II returned one of Pittsburgh's four interceptions for a touchdown to help the No. 17 Panthers beat No. 18 Wake Forest 45-21 in Saturday night's Subway Atlantic Coast Conference Football Championship Game.

Hallett, selected the game's MVP, had a pick-six with 11:42 left that came on the heels of A.J. Woods having a 75-yard interception return that fell only 3 yards short of taking it all the way for the score early in the fourth quarter. That was the highlight sequence in a strong defensive performance that locked up the high-scoring Demon Deacons after the opening quarter and ultimately carried the Panthers to their first ACC title since leaving the Big East in 2013.

After surrendering touchdowns on three first-quarter possessions, Pittsburgh (11-2) held Wake Forest scoreless for its last 13 drives while getting after Sam Hartman for five sacks to stymie the Demon Deacons' tempo-controlling flow.

Wake Forest (10-3) was back in the ACC title game for the first time since winning the 2006 championship. But the Demon Deacons finished with 295 total yards, with only 109 of those coming after the opening quarter.

Hartman threw for two scores and ran for another in the opening period. But by the end of this one, Hartman was suffering through another nightmarish performance on a field about 20 minutes from his hometown in Cornelius.

He ended last year here with four interceptions in a Duke's Mayo Bowl loss to Wisconsin, then threw for 213 yards in another four-interception performance before exiting with 8:09 left.

2021 Final CFP Ranking (before the bowls) (RX; HM)

2021 Final CFP Ranking (before the bowls)

Here is the final College Football Playoff Ranking:

RKTEAM
1Alabama
2Michigan
3Georgia
4Cincinnati
5Notre Dame
6Ohio State
7Baylor
8Ole Miss
9Oklahoma St
10Michigan St
11Utah
12Pittsburgh
13BYU
14Oregon
15Iowa
16Oklahoma
17Wake Forest
18NC State
19Clemson
20Houston
21Arkansas
22Kentucky
23Louisiana
24San Diego St
25Texas A&M

COMMENTS:

I feel like you can make a strong argument for Michigan ahead of Alabama and for Notre Dame ahead of Georgia, but overall, I like the top 4... I even like the pairings.

End of the Clemson Dynasty? (RX; HM)

End of the Clemson Dynasty?

The Clemson Tigers have had two runs of excellence in their football history: one under Danny Ford in the 1980s, and another under Dabo Swinney for the last decade or so. Now that we've gotten news of star Defensive Coordinator Brent Venables taking the Head Coaching job at Oklahoma, along with rumors that Miami is trying to lure away Athletic Director Dan Radakovich, we have to ask: is this possibly the end of this particular Clemson Dynasty?

I'm certainly now suggesting that this is the end of Clemson football - by no means! But Dynasties come and go - they don't last forever, and this one is getting fairly long in the tooth as-is. Have some lasted longer? Sure. Alabama has been at or near the top ever since year two of the Nick Saban era. But even the Crimson Tide have been forced to retool their coaching staff from time to time.
During a span of 18 years from 1983 to 2001, the Miami Hurricanes had to replace their Head Coach, not once, but FOUR times - and won at least a share of five national titles in the process!
I retweeted this bit of trivia about the Ohio State Buckeyes a couple of weeks ago:

Ohio State is the only FBS program that has never lost 8 or more games in a season. (1890-2021)#FunFactFriday pic.twitter.com/TEws0c8uzK
— CFB Home (@CFBHome) November 19, 2021
Just think what that means for a moment. If Ohio State is the only team in the Football Bowl Subdivision which has never lost 8 or more games in a season... that means every other team has. So the Oklahoma Sooners, Georgia Bulldogs, Michigan Wolverines, Penn State Nittany Lions, and, yes, Alabama Crimson Tide have all suffered through seasons of 4-8 or worse.

My point is not that Clemson football is about to tank - they may end up reloading without missing a beat - like those Miami teams. My point is that all of these great programs have had their ups and downs and they survived. As long as college football continues to be played*, the Clemson Tigers will have a chance at greatness... Danny and Dabo and their staffs proved that!

Best 2021 CFB Team by State (RX; HM)

Best 2021 CFB Team by State

Big Game Boomer is at it again...
The Best College Football Team In Every State

2021 Season pic.twitter.com/LvSew64fK9
— Big Game Boomer (@BigGameBoomer) December 5, 2021

Here are BGB's picks, along with my comments:

MA - Boston College - I agree (not much else to choose from, though)
NY - Army - this is a close one, but Army edges out Syracuse here.
PA - Pitt - no argument here!
VA - Virginia Tech - yaaass, baby!
KY - Kentucky - sorry, Louisville fans, but... scoreboard.
NC - Wake Forest - Wake/UNC/NC State had a rock/scissors/paper this year; unclear.
SC - Clemson - duh, scoreboard!
GA - Georgia - clearly.
FL - UCF - whut!?! IDK, he might be right, but I tend to think it's actually Miami.

BONUS States:

OH - Cincinnati - Buckeye fans won't like it, but... yeah.
IN - Notre Dame - without a doubt

ACC Teams accept 10 bowl game invitations (streakingthelawn.com; Leung)

It’s like Selection Sunday, but for Bowl Games! Virginia announced earlier this afternoon that they’ve accepted an invitation to participate in the inaugural Fenway Bowl, but with 12 bowl games with ACC tie-ins, and 10 ACC schools that are officially eligible, let’s take a look to see where Virginia’s conference brethren and sistren are headed.

From a selection standpoint, gone are the days of bowl game committees drafting teams. Instead, the bowls have been placed into three tiers, which select within their respective tiers

First, the College Football Playoffs (if an ACC team is selected) and a New Years Six bowl (usually the Orange Bowl, unless the Orange Bowl is one of the CFP bowls, in which case an at large one). This year, the Pittsburgh Panthers are headed to the Peach Bowl as the NY6 bowl.

Second, your “Tier 1” bowls will pow wow together with the schools and the conference to come up with an agreement. Tier 1 Bowls include:

Third, your “Tier 2” bowls then get together and select in an equally collaborative process:

• Gasparilla Bowl: Not enough ACC teams, so it will be UCF vs. Florida
  • Birmingham Bowl: Not enough ACC teams, so it will be Houston vs. Auburn
  • First Responder Bowl: Louisville Cardinals vs. Air Force
The only ACC teams not eligible this year were Florida State (5-7), Syracuse (5-7), Georgia Tech (3-9), and Duke (3-9).

WATCH: Pitt QB Kenny Pickett fakes slide on incredible 58-yard TD run in ACC Championship Game (cbssports.com; AlBaroudi)

Pittsburgh quarterback Kenny Pickett's season for the ages continued when it mattered most, and in highlight-reel fashion, as the Heisman Trophy contender pulled off a fake slide en route to a 58-yard rushing touchdown against Wake Forest in the opening drive of Saturday's ACC Championship Game.

On the fifth play from scrimmage, Pickett evaded a pass rusher in the backfield and took off down the field for around a 20-yard gain. Wake Forest defenders began to converge on Pickett once he passed their 40-yard line, but the redshirt senior faked a slide to get the secondary players off balance, clearing the way for his untouched 58-yard score.

AFTER BURNERS ACTIVATE

Kenny Pickett 58-yards to the HOUSE.#ACCFCG | @Pitt_FB

@accnetwork
#15 Pittsburgh vs. #16 Wake Forest (Football) | Watch ESPN pic.twitter.com/JQiOVOWMgc
— ACC Football (@ACCFootball) December 5, 2021

Other

J6EAL4DY5JBOZBV6LBMNKHYKHM.jpeg

National Grid adds staff, monitors high wind forecast that could bring 55 mph gusts to CNY (PS; O'Toole)

Strong gusts of wind are expected to blow through Upstate New York tonight and Monday, bringing colder, more wintry weather early this week.

National Grid is so concerned about how the potential winds could impact Upstate New Yorkers — including Central New York — that it has increased staffing, extended evening and overnight work shifts, and is closely monitoring the weather forecast, spokesman Jared Paventi said.

Wind gusts of up to 55 mph are expected Sunday night and Monday in parts of Upstate New York.

The National Weather Service has issued a wind advisory from 10 p.m. Sunday until 7 p.m. Monday for southern Cayuga, Cortland, Madison, Onondaga, Seneca, Schuyler, Steuben, Tompkins and Yates counties. The advisory calls for south winds, 20 to 30 mph with gusts up to 55 mph.

The strongest winds are expected Sunday night and early Monday, from the south, especially in high terrain areas. However, gusty winds also are expected from a frontal passage Monday afternoon, according to the weather service.

A separate wind advisory also is in effect from 10 a.m. Monday until 1 a.m. Tuesday for northern Cayuga, Oswego and Wayne counties. The weather service predicts southwest winds of 20 to 30 mph in these counties, with gusts up to 50 mph near Lake Ontario.

If Taj Harris didn't have enough academic credits to play at Kentucky, did he have enough credits to play at SU?