Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Thomas-Jefferson-Day.jpg
Welcome to Thomas Jefferson Day!

Thomas Jefferson, a founding father of the United States, was born on April 13, 1743. He held many roles and did much during the formative years of the country, including being the main author of the Declaration of Independence and the country's third president. He wrote his own epitaph, highlighting what he most wanted to be remembered for: "HERE WAS BURIED THOMAS JEFFERSON AUTHOR OF THE DECLARATION OF AMERICAN INDEPENDENCE OF THE STATUTE OF VIRGINIA FOR RELIGIOUS FREEDOM AND FATHER OF THE UNIVERSITY OF VIRGINIA."

Thomas Jefferson Day is a legal observance, but it is not a public holiday. A joint resolution approved on August 16, 1937, authorized the President of the United States to proclaim April 13 as "Thomas Jefferson's Birthday" each year. The following year, President Franklin D. Roosevelt issued Presidential Proclamation 2276 to designate the day. Subsequent presidents have made similar proclamations. In Alabama, Thomas Jefferson's birthday is officially celebrated on Presidents' Day, along with George Washington's.

Thomas Jefferson was born at the Shadwell plantation in Albemarle County, Virginia. His mother, Jane Randolph Jefferson, was from a prominent Virginia family, and his father, Peter Jefferson, was a planter and surveyor. After graduating from the College of William and Mary in 1762, he began studying law. As there weren't official law schools at the time, Jefferson studied under a Virginia attorney. He began his work as a lawyer in 1767.

SU News

Once praised by Eric Dungey, former Syracuse quarterback Chance Amie has been offered by SU again (PS; Carlson)

Former Syracuse quarterback Chance Amie said on Twitter that he’s been offered a scholarship by Syracuse for a second time, this time after a two-year stint in junior college.

Amie said on Twitter that he spoke with SU head coach Dino Babers and he had been offered a scholarship.

After a great conversation with @CoachBabersCuse I’m blessed to receive an offer from Syracuse University. #orange pic.twitter.com/jSr0fX95sW
— Chance Amie (@ChanceAmie_) April 12, 2022

Amie initially signed with Syracuse in the Orange’s Class of 2018. He elected to transfer the following spring without having played in a game. He was considered the likely backup behind Tommy DeVito, who played in relief of Dungey at times during the 2018 season.

Despite his presumed spot in the pecking order behind DeVito, Amie received strong reviews for his potential, most notably from Dungey.

“I think the kid from Texas is going to be the best out of group,” Dungey said before senior year. “He’s got that mindset, too. He’s not scared. He’s got a cannon, fast. He’s just got to learn the offense. I think he’s really going to take off.”

Jarveon-Howard-678x381.jpg

Syracuse running back Jarveon Howard breaks free during Syracuse's 51-21 win over UCONN. Mandatory Photo Credit: Initra Marilyn, The Juice Online.

Opponent Analysis: Connecticut Huskies — 2022 Syracuse Football preview - The Juice Online (the juice; Sears)

As we countdown to kickoff in September, we’re going to be doing a team-by-team opponent preview each week over the spring/summer. This week, we’re previewing Syracuse’s matchup with Connecticut on Sept. 10 with three major storylines.

There’s not really any way around it- the UConn Huskies football team was one of the worst teams in the country last year, and the worst of the last couple of years at that. Sporting a 10-50 record since 2016, the club’s only brief respite from losing was the 2020 season in which they decided not to play any games due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

Upon their return last year, they won a single game against Yale en route to a 1-11 record. Their coach retired after the first two games of the season, both losses. They were the 129th ranked scoring offense in the nation, at a paltry 15.6 points per game. They were the 123rd ranked scoring defense, giving up 38.5 points per game. UConn football was truly at rock bottom.

ENTER JIM MORA, JR.

The obvious upside of a rock bottom football team is that there is nowhere to go but up. New head coach Jim Mora cited that fact in his introductory press conference. The former NFL head coach of the Atlanta Falcons had success previously in the NCAA with the UCLA Bruins from 2012-2017, and saw a young football team with potential to rise.

Mora was actually hired during the previous tumultuous season, coming onboard in early November but rather than taking head coaching duties from the interim Lou Spanos, Mora joined as an assistant, which allowed him to focus on recruiting for next season.

That’s the type of savvy move that hiring a former NFL head coach can give you, and it’s paid off as Mora has signed the Gatorade Player of The Year out of Connecticut running back Victor Rosas, as well as a three star QB prospect out of Ft. Lauderdale high school football powerhouse St. Thomas Aquinas, Zion Turner.

QB COMPETITION UNDERWAY

On the topic of quarterbacks, UConn also welcomes in former Penn State back-up Ta’Quan Roberson through the transfer portal. Roberson saw limited time as a Nittany Lion, completing just 11 of 28 passes for 85 yards and a score, but has ability creating with his legs and a good deep ball.

Syracuse Football: For 4-star, top-20 defensive back, SU ‘stands very high’ (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse football recently got into the recruiting mix for 2024 defensive back Willy Love, a four-star prospect from New Jersey.

Love, listed at 6-foot-4 and 210 pounds on , is in the sophomore class and attends Woodrow Wilson High School in Camden, N.J.

He revealed a scholarship offer from the Orange via Twitter on April 8. Per an article from SyracuseOnSI publisher Mike McAllister, Love recently took a trip to the ‘Cuse campus, and that visit appeared to go quite well.

Love said in part to McAllister, “Cuse was amazing. The best parts of the entire trip was touring the campus and seeing how much love the players get. How it is being a Cuse player. There’s no NFL team around so Syracuse is the town’s favorite guys. They support them at a high level. I noticed it when I saw the stores and the amount of people wearing Syracuse. How nicely and kindly they treated the recruits.”
It’s important to note here that Love is cousins with Syracuse football star defensive back Duce Chestnut, who will be entering his sophomore campaign with the Orange during the 2022 stanza.

The Antidote to SU’s D-Line Crisis – Orange Fizz – Daily Syracuse Recruiting News & Team Coverage (orangefizz.net; Eads)

We’ve documented the issues along the Syracuse defensive front extensively this offseason. Yeah, the unit looked halfway decent in the SU spring game two weeks ago, but there are some caveats. Su’s starting d-line was running against the second team offense and its front five. So while there is reason for optimism after the three men in the trenches got the upper hand, there is still reason to be pumping the brakes. Even with the first phase of the offseason done and over with, the Orange can quell some of our questions by reeling in a big transfer.

CAM GOODE

This guy is exactly what Syracuse is missing up front: a big dude that can move people. SU’s projected starting d-line following the spring is Caleb Okechukwu and Jatius Geer on the edges with Terry Lockett filling the middle. Lockett has had his moments at tackle but he’s just 6’3, 264. Ton be lining up over the center and guards who usually are 275+ pounds is a daunting task. The sophomore is essentially at a disadvantage before every play.

Now let us introduce you to a man named Cam Goode. He’s a transfer from UCF who started his career in the ACC with Virginia Tech in 2018. The defensive tackle is a former borderline top 550 recruit via 247sports.com. The former Black Knight played his high school ball at St. Johns in Washington D.C. This is interesting because its actually the same school that both Okechukwu and SU defensive back Aman Greenwood played at.

Why is Goode such a big deal? Well for one he has more experience than anybody else on Syracuse’s roster at the defensive tackle spot. The D.C. native has appeared in 33 games with five starts in the defensive trenches. On top of the experience, the rising redshirt-senior stands 6’3, 315 pounds. So essentially the UCF transfer is the same height as Lockett but holds 50 more pounds. This is size that SU can only dream of having in its defensive locker room. If Goode were to pick the Orange in the transfer portal, this defense would instantly elevate and so would the team’s potential.

This recruiting battle is still ongoing but should reach a summation pretty soon. Goode is also being heavily recruited by Michigan, Notre Dame, and Vanderbilt . The tea leaves make it seem as though the Wolverines are the leader in the clubhouse at this juncture. However, what Syracuse can offer is both immediate playing time and the connections to some of Goode’s former teammates to help him settle in. What’s big is that the former Under Armour All-American has already visited campus and received the pitch from Dino Babers and Tony White. Keep it locked to Orangefizz on Twitter for continued coverage of Goode’s recruitment.

thumbnail.jpg

Syracuse 'Up There' For 2023 Edge Kion Wright (SI; McAllister)

Class of 2023 Philadelphia (PA) Cheltenham edge Kion Wright was on the Syracuse campus last week for an unofficial visit.

"On my visit I got to tour the beautiful campus that Syracuse has and met the head coach and my position coach," Wright said. "The best parts were probably sitting down and talking ball with my position coach (Chris Achuff). He is absolutely a genius and I learned a few things from him. Also seeing that huge Dome for the first time in person was a crazy experience."

The look and size of the campus surprised the 6-3, 235 pounder.

"It's way bigger than I thought," Wright said. "It looks beautiful, especially with the orange and blue just jumping out at you every chance you get."

What makes coach Achuff a genius in Wright's eyes?

"He knows the position better than a lot of people," Wright said. "I see why he had a job in the NFL. He's very smart and I definitely learned from him."

The Cheltenham standout also spent time with Syracuse head coach Dino Babers.

FSU football: Notes, and observations from the final spring practice (tomahawknation.com; Carpio)

The Seminoles took the field for their final spring practice on Tuesday. Head coach Mike Norvell and his staff used this practice to focus on the small details and fundamentals from Saturday’s spring game film. They usually practice more of a scrimmage based setting, concluding the day with 11 on 11 action, but today they were solely focusing on group skills with the offensive line, defensive backs and receiving room.

In their first one on one drills, defensive back Renardo Green started it off with a PBU and Omarion Cooper followed that with one of his own against Johnny Wilson. The defensive backs were controlling this drill, like they have for most of the offseason. Freshman Azareye’h Thomas snagged an interception soon after and the DB was celebrating with each other. The best receivers from this drill were Kentron Poitier and Malik McClain, both using their size to their advantage against DB’s like Kevin Knowles.

The Noles practiced in the seven on seven drill for upwards of 10 minutes and the safety room stood out, with an interception from Shyheim Brown and great communication from Jammie Robinson. The linebacker group also stood out in this drill, but the receivers were struggling yet again.

As stated previously, this practice was meant for small tweaks to discuss details on hand placement, footwork and plays that the Noles struggled with in the game. Following the practice, Norvell and wide receiver Ja’Khi Douglas spoke to the press. The interviews will be uploaded shortly.

Also, a list of the top performers throughout spring ball will be posted in the next few weeks, diving into who can breakout in the 2022 season and what the roles are looking like for certain players.

These were the top standouts from the final of spring practice:

Top standouts from the final day of spring practice:

DB Azareye’h Thomas
RB CJ Campbell
TE Camm McDonald
OL Dillan Gibbons
DT Robert Cooper
— MAX (@maxescarpio) April 12, 2022

(youttube; video)

Discussion about every ACC Head football coach, who is on the HOT seat, and who is getting fired in 2022.

Other

22UCPMUD2NE73GKQG4JFOLWG2Y.jpg

Bar-Bill Tavern in East Aurora, January 2018. Voted Judges Choice of best wings in Buffalo, NY for newyorkupstate.com. Allie Healy | ahealy@syracuse.com

Alton Brown apologizes to Upstate NY: ‘I was wrong, the best wings are in Buffalo’ (PS; Hernandez)

Buffalo’s mighty chicken wing reputation has been redeemed as the best around — even if Upstate New Yorkers already knew that.

TV personality and chef Alton Brown recently posted to social media in which he said, “I was wrong, the best wings are in Buffalo.”

This comes after some harsh criticism in a 2018 episode of First We Feast’sHot Ones.” In that episode, Brown said, “If you really want great Buffalo chicken wings...you don’t go to frickin’ Buffalo.”

That year his fans sent him to Bar-Bill Tavern in East Aurora when he visited the area for his show at UB Center for the Arts. Those wings earned serious scorn, even though NewYorkUPstate judges had just named them the best wings of Buffalo earlier that year.

Could Western New York come back from that dig?

The Queen City, the birthplace of the Buffalo wing craze, was not about to let the title of best wings go so easily.

When Brown was set to return to Buffalo to perform a show at Shea’s Performing Arts Center earlier this month, he reached out to locals yet again on Facebook, saying: “Dear Buffalonians, back in 2018, after eating at all the “famous” places, I complained that I had a very, very bad wing day. I’ve been told since that I just went to the wrong places. So I’m coming back to make amends by taking a whole day off to eat wings. You guys basically invented the global wing craze so please set me on the right path.”

Last edited: