Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
1280px-Magna_Carta_%28British_Library_Cotton_MS_Augustus_II.106%29.jpg
Welcome to Magna Carta Day!

Magna Carta Day on June 15 commemorates the signing of the Great Charter that limited the powers of the English monarch.

While the Magna Carta came about after barons rebelled against King John’s taxes and feudal law, it outlined specific rights and privileges previous documents had avoided. On June 15, 1215, King John signed the document at Runnymede.

Some of the weight of due process written into our laws today comes from the articles written in the Magna Carta over 800 years ago. Trials by a jury of our peers and compensation for goods seized for national needs are all basic principals put forth in 1215.

SU News

(youtube.com; podcast; Locked on Syracuse)

Syracuse football just brought in 2023 defensive end Zyir Daniel in for a camp. Daniel turned some heads and now he sits down with Matt Bonaparte and Brad Klein on the podcast to talk about his recruitment and interest in the Orange.

Q&A w/ ’23 SU Football Recruit Zyir Daniel – Orange Fizz – Daily Syracuse Recruiting News & Team Coverage (orangefizz.net; Eads)

We’re in the heart of summer ball and camp season here in mid-June! Campus is empty here in the 315 but the preparations for the 2022 season continue for Syracuse football. Of course the warm months also offer opportunities to allot more time and energy towards building the future of the program. Dino Babers and Company just hosted a camp last week which drew a lot of attendees to the Hill.

SU is in a bit of a lull right now in terms of recruiting. The last 2023 prospect to pledge Orange was Rashard Perry over two months ago! Now, Perry has since shot up the rankings and is now the top recruit New York, according to 247sports. However, there is much more work to be done.

One camper who was in attendance was Zyir Daniel. The rising senior is gearing up for just his third year of playing football and had an “awesome” experience. We set up a Q and A with the Calvert Hall prospect to learn more about his recruitment and experience in the Salt City.

John Eads- I guess to start, just recap the experience overall. Some of the stuff you guys did and what the coaches taught you along the way.
Zyir Daniel- “We did a lot of get off drills, drills to keep our target low, hip drills etc. Coach Achuff focused on me keeping low, which I’ve noted and is currently working on during my training”
Eads- Has there been any discussion with any college coaches about where you could project at the next level? Whether it be d end or another spot on defense or even offense?
Daniel- “Yes. Some coaches would want me to gain another 20 pounds to play d end. That wouldn’t be an issue because of my body type… also my dad, uncles, grand father and cousins are all over 250+. Also, they spoke about playing linebacker. I have a quick first step, good lateral movement, but will need more training to play that position, but I’m up to it. This will be my third year ever playing, so I am a sponge.
Eads- Which schools are looking at you?
Daniel- “A few schools like Penn State came to visit me at my school as well as coaches from Pitt, ECU, etc will message me liking what they see from me. A lot of talk, but nothing serious right now. I know it’s about to change, especially when I’m at camps performing very well.
Eads- What have the discussions been like with the SU staff?
Daniel- “As of now, nothing serious about offers or anything … but everyone has been very nice and responsive which means a lot. Coach Ahmad invited me to the camp and we tried to come to do a visit earlier this year but timing was bad. He’s a cool dude! Coach Achuff and Coach West are as well. Also Mr Maddox. He took his time to speak with my and my dad about the Syracuse culture.
Eads- Are u gonna try and get out for a visit this fall?
Daniel- “Yes. I would love to return for a visit this fall. Even this summer. “
Eads- Getting back to camp, did u work with any of the current SU players?
Daniel- “Yes. Mostly the d lineman. Denis Jaquez is real cool. I sent him my video from camp and he really liked it. Also Caleb was there to help with drills. There’s a few others but can’t remember their names.”
Eads- How do u think u would fit into the 3-3-5 scheme?
Daniel- “That would fit well with my abilities either as strong or weak side LB. My speed and quickness would be a problem. I played AAU basketball so I’m used to playing in tight spaces.”
Eads- Interesting, so not at DE?
Daniel- “That too lol. I already know once I’m at college I’m going to gain 20 pounds. I want to be known as a versatile player being able to play both.”

Opponent Analysis: Florida State Seminoles — 2022 Syracuse Football preview - The Juice Online (the juice; Sears)

As we countdown to kickoff in September, we’re going to be doing a team-by-team opponent preview each week over the spring/summer. This week, we’re previewing Syracuse’s matchup with FSU on Nov. 12 with their major storylines.

Going into his third year as head coach of the Florida State Seminoles, Mike Norvell has a lot to prove.

After a disappointing 3-6 campaign in 2020 could theoretically be waved off as the entire college football landscape was dealing with the logistical problems brought on by the Covid-19 pandemic, Norvell’s Noles followed it up last year with a 5-7 campaign that saw uncharacteristic losses to lesser teams and several one-score loss margins.

CAN NORVELL TURN IT AROUND?

The trouble began with a promising offensive performance lost in overtime to Notre Dame to begin the year, but losing to Dame is nothing to be embarrassed about. Dropping the next game 20-17 to FCS underdog Jacksonville State however, was a different story.

They followed that performance with two more losses to start the year 0-4 before beating our Orange with a last second field goal to spark a mid-season turnaround. One game away from bowl contention, however, they lost to the in-state rival Florida Gators to end the year just short of bowl eligibility.

Looking ahead to 2022, Norvell has the advantage of experience and the same offensive and defensive systems to give his players some stability and build on what worked last year. A look at the numbers show their best area on both sides of the ball was the run game- they were the 52nd ranked rushing offense in the country with 177.8 yards per game, and the 55th ranked rushing defense, giving up 144.6 ypg. I’d expect Norvell to try and build on both of those strengths as a foundation for success.

» Related: Previewing Syracuse’s matchup with Pitt

JORDAN TRAVIS NEEDS TO TAKE A STEP FORWARD

If senior QB Jordan Travis can take a step up next year, it will raise the ceiling of the whole team, whether or not the struggling defense makes the same improvement.

Travis was actually on the cusp of being great last year, as he’s another of the dual threat QB’s that we’ve profiled in the series so far. While his passing numbers through 10 games were rather pedestrian at 1,539 yards with 15 TDs and 6 interceptions, he added 530 yards and seven TDs on the ground. That brings his career rushing totals to 1,317 yards and 17 TDs, making him Florida State’s all-time leader from the QB position in both categories.

Saint Francis Transfer Yosuke Sugano Commits to Syracuse as Preferred Walk-On (yardbacker.com; McAllister)

PWO

Saint Francis University grad transfer linebacker Yosuke Sugano has committed to Syracuse as a graduate transfer. Sugano, who is originally from Japan, has two years of eligibility remaining, plans to arrive on campus July 5th and is listed at 5-10, 225 pounds.

"The main reason why I chose Syracuse University is coach Tony White," Sugano said. "Talking to him, I thought I really like his personality and how he coaches. Also, he has coaching experience in Japan. I sent the email to coach White this January and he followed me on Twitter. Then, after a couple months, with coach White and coach Roy Wittke's help, I got accepted to Syracuse University's graduate program. Therefore, I am now committing to Syracuse's football program."

During his time at Saint Francis, he redshirted in 2018, appeared in 12 games in 2019 and 11 games in 2021. The 2020 season was cancelled due to the Covid-19 pandemic. Sugano 22 tackles, seven tackles for loss, three sacks and forced a fumble during his career at Saint Francis.

In high school, Sugano played for Kwansei Gakuin High School Fighters in Japan and helped lead them to the Japan National Championship in American Football. He then came to the United States to play for Greenville High School in Pennsylvania, where he contributed to a 9-3 record and AA playoff appearance. Sugano recorded 62 tackles, 46 solo, 12 tackles for loss, 10 sacks, two forced fumbles, three fumble recoveries and a pass breakup with Greenville.

Glenn-Presnell-1927-vs-Syracuse-cropped.jpg

Nebraska halfback Glenn Presnell picks up a first down. | Daily Nebraskan

1927 Syracuse football (huskermax.com; Throwback Wednesday)

PRESNELL, HUSKERS TURN ORANGEMEN BLUE

It was the Glenn Presnell Show as Nebraska used its superior running and punting games — plus a stifling defense — to put away a pass-happy Syracuse squad, 21-0.

Nebraska’s all-conference senior halfback rushed for 93 yards and two touchdowns in the first half before letting his backups take over in the final 30 minutes.

Presnell also proved adept with his kicking leg, befuddling the Orangemen with virtually unreturnable punts. Nebraska’s 10-yard advantage in net punting average helped keep Syracuse at bay.

Harold Baysinger did most of the ball-slinging for the Orangemen, completing 11 of 28 passes for 120 yards, but seven were intercepted. (That ties Lynn Dickey’s seven picks in 1970 for a Memorial Stadium record.)

Baysinger’s passes traveled as far as 70 yards in the air, according to newspaper accounts. Five of his interceptions occurred in the fourth quarter as the Orangemen tried again and again to get onto the scoreboard. His arm strength and perseverance earned him an ovation from Husker fans as he left the field at game’s end.

Get to Know Your Orange Man: #76, OL Kalan Ellis (TNIAAM; Haller)

Name:
Kalan Ellis
Position: Offensive Line
Year: Freshman
Height: 6’6”
Weight: 388 lbs

Hometown: Waimanalo, Hawaii

High School: St. Louis School

2021 stats: Five starts, nine games as a true freshman. While stats aren’t a big thing for the offensive line, Ellis passed the look test for much of the year and has earned himself a major spot in the rotation moving forward. Taking over for an injured Chris Bleich, he asserted himself and showed he belonged at this level.

2022 projections: Last year we mentioned he may redshirt. This year, he’s vying for a starting nod or a major contributor at a minimum. He’s bulked up another 23 pounds, which one would hope is from the weight room, not the cafeteria and at 6-foot-6 and 388 pounds, he’s got the size to play at this level which he showed in spades last year. I would be surprised if Coach Mike Schmidt doesn’t incorporate some way of consistently getting him on the field to further develop his game.

How’d he get here?: San Diego State was interested when Schmidt was there, so the connection was present ahead of time. Hawai’i, Virginia and UCLA were all at the table as well.

What’d recruiting sites say?: Three stars all around.

Money quote: When asked about his biggest strengths by SI.com, Ellis came back with the following:

My biggest strength is just being a solid force. Not getting a move off the ball easily. I still got to work on it though, got to work on speed, techniques all that.”

College football rankings: ESPN computer predicts ACC standings - College Football HQ (SI; Parks)

For the last few years in the ACC, it's been Clemson and everybody else. But last season, it was Pitt and Wake fighting for the title, while Miami and NC State placed second in their respective divisions.

Could we see a repeat of that this season? Kenny Pickett may be gone, but those other contenders all bring back their quarterbacks and field offenses that can keep this conference more open at the top.

That doesn't mean Clemson is an afterthought, though. This is still the most talented roster in the conference from top to bottom, especially on defense.

We'll see if this offense can improve with DJ Uiagalelei at quarterback and if Dabo Swinney and Co. have the speed at the skill positions to help him out.

What can we expect in the ACC this season? Scroll through to see where each team in this league sits in the ESPN preseason football rankings.

Where each ACC team stands in the preseason rankings

14. Duke

Preseason ranking:
No. 102
Record prediction: 4-8
What to expect: More of the same from the Blue Devils after sitting in the ACC basement last year, David Cutcliffe's final outing on the sideline. Enter Mike Elko, a first-time head coach tasked with making something out of almost nothing.
He needs a quarterback, a running back, and some quick fixes for a defense that placed last in the ACC. There's about a 9 percent chance to get to six wins here, which is all that can be said for this team in its current iteration.

13. Virginia Tech

Preseason ranking:
No. 74
Record prediction: 5-7
What to expect: Watch how the quarterback competition shakes out this offseason between a pair of transfers in Grant Wells and Jason Brown. But whoever wins that job could sure use some help after Tech lost both leading receivers from 2021.
Having seven returning starters defensively should ease this transition for a team that won just two ACC games at home last fall and got plastered by Maryland in the Pinstripe Bowl.
FPI projects a 40 percent chance for the Hokies to get back to a bowl game, but this team isn't ready to make a push for the division just yet.

12. Georgia Tech

Preseason ranking:
No. 67
Record prediction: 4-8
What to expect: Tech lost two offensive pieces in quarterback Jordan Yates, who transferred out, and running back Jahmyr Gibbs, who left for Alabama.
Head coach Geoff Collins needs to give a jolt to an offense that placed third-worst in the ACC at 24 points per game. Jeff Sims returns at quarterback after passing for 12 TDs and seven picks, but there isn't a ton to work with around him moving the ball.
Tech was also the second-worst defense in the conference last season, and the unit brings back just two projected starters this fall.

11. Syracuse

Garrett Shrader syracuse football

Preseason ranking: No. 62
Record prediction: 5-7
What to expect: Dino Babers comes into what could be a defining season for his tenure at Syracuse. The head coach only had one winning season out of six, and comes in under pressure to correct a record that includes just 15 wins in 50 ACC appearances.
Syracuse fielded the league's fourth-worst total offense a year ago and mustered under 150 air yards per game, the ACC's worst mark. The best this Orange team has according to FPI is a 30 percent chance to finish bowl eligible.

10. Boston College

Preseason ranking: No. 59
Record prediction: 6-6
What to expect: BC gets some important inputs back on offense this season who can work the middle of the field, especially with quarterback Phil Jurkovec returning from injury. But this offensive line is a work in progress and the Eagles have to replace three starters in the secondary unit.
This was a 6-6 team a year ago, but not even Jurkovec coming back was enough for FPI to predict any more than that this season, with a 53% chance to win six games and get to a bowl.
9. Virginia

Preseason ranking: No. 54
Record prediction: 7-5
What to expect: First-year head coach Tony Elliott steps into a program with mixed results, a lot of potential, but also a ton of structural issues. He inherits an offense that ranked No. 3 in college football last season and gets quarterback Brennan Armstrong back behind center.
But this offensive line needs to start from scratch and the Cavs need a new vision on defense after surrendering almost five TDs per game in ACC play and surrendered over 45 points in three of its six losses, including 59 to UNC and 66 to BYU. FPI projects Virginia will make a bowl with 80 percent likelihood.

ACC QB Rankings 2022 (youtube; video; CFB)

College football quarterback rankings week begins with the ACC. Watch to find out where Drake Maye (UNC), Tyler Van Dyke (Miami), DJ Uiagalelei (Clemson), Jordan Travis (FSU), Malik Cunningham (Louisville), Phil Jurkovec (Boston College), Kedon Slovis (Pitt), Sam Hartman (Wake Forest), Devin Leary (NC State), Jeff Sims (Georgia Tech), Brennan Armstrong (Virginia), Grant Wells (Virginia Tech), Garrett Shrader (Syracuse), and Riley Leonard (Duke) rank on Ryan’s list.

New ACC names to know: N.C. State (theclemsoninsider.com; Potter)

for gbo

Clemson will have its share of newcomers that contribute this fall, but what about the Tigers’ competition?

The Clemson Insider is taking a look at some fresh faces around the ACC that could make an immediate impact for their new teams. Whether it be transfers or incoming freshmen, we’ll start with some new names to know on teams that the Tigers will face next season before moving on to the rest of the league.

North Carolina State

WR Darryl Jones

The Wolfpack need a new No. 1 receiver now that Emeka Emezie has moved on. Returning senior Thayer Thomas could take over that role, but Jones will factor into the equation as well after transferring from Maryland this offseason. A big-bodied outside receiver at 6-foot-3 and 200 pounds, Jones had his best season with the Terrapins last season, finishing with 23 catches for 319 yards and two touchdowns. That included four receptions for a season-high 111 yards against Virginia Tech in Maryland’s bowl game.

RB Michael Allen

There’s also opportunity in N.C. State’s backfield now that Zonovan Knight and Ricky Person are no longer around. Knight and Person, who combined for nearly 1,400 rushing yards last season, are trying their hand at the NFL. With no back left on the roster that got more than 20 carries a season ago, Allen could slide in as a significant contributor immediately. The highest-ranked recruit in the Wolfpack’s signing class, Allen was a four-star prospect rated as No. 23 running back in the 2022 recruiting cycle in the 247Sports Composite.

LB Torren Wright

Another four-star signee for the Wolfpack, Wright is N.C. State’s second-highest rated prospect in the class, according to the 247Sports Composite. At 6-2 and 210 pounds, Wright is a rangy outside linebacker with speed and plenty of athleticism. He also went through spring practice as an early enrollee, accelerating his development within the program.

Dan Radakovich opens up on ACC revenue, concerns in comparison to other conferences (on3.com; Schultz)

The ACC had a record revenue year in fiscal year 2021. Still, the league could find itself falling farther behind the SEC and Big Ten in the future as media rights deals come on the horizon — and Miami athletic director Dan Radakovich talked about that.

Radakovich saw the ACC grow during his time at Clemson before arriving at Miami this offseason. In fiscal year 2021, the ACC brought in $578.3 million, which was an $82 million increase from the previous fiscal year. But the SEC led the way with $833 million in revenue and the Big Ten was next at $679.8 million. On top of that, the Big Ten is reportedly on the verge of a massive media rights deal worth nearly $1 billion, which would likely increase that number even more.

That was all part of the question to Radakovich on the ESPN College Football Podcast, and he shared an honest answer with hosts Adam Rittenberg and David Hale.

“Yes, from an answer perspective. Yes. … We’re concerned,” Radakovich said. “It could be a threat. This is why we have commissioners and people in our home office in Greensboro, to be able to help work on that. The athletic directors talk about it all the time. ‘What can we do to help further our cause?’ There are contracts in place, there are rights agreements in place that are there and those contracts have been made. It’s going to be different.

“But I’m looking forward to continuing the conversation to see how we can impact that and possibly change it because if you just take the soliloquy that you just mentioned, we’re going to be a little bit behind the eight-ball as it relates to dollars. How you make that up, that reverts back to each individual campus and decisions that are made on each one of our campuses. We’ll continue to see how that works, but it’s certainly an everyday issue for Commissioner [Jim] Phillips and our staff in Greensboro.”

Virginia Tech football: It sure sounds like Grant Wells is the starting quarterback (gobblercountry.com; Manning)

The Virginia Tech Hokies overhauled the quarterback position in the offseason under new head coach Brent Pry. Pry and new offensive coordinator Tyler Bowen brought in Brad Glenn as the new quarterbacks coach, and the Hokies added a pair of transfers with plenty of starting experience.

Former South Carolina quarterback Jason Brown and former Marshall starter Grant Wells both transferred to Blacksburg. In addition, Connor Blumrick and Tahj Bullock were back. The Hokies also signed Devin Farrell.

To alleviate some of the logjam at quarterback, the Hokies moved Blumrick into more of a utility role, where he’ll play some wide receiver and tight end. He could also still line up under center. Pry called him one of Virginia Tech’s 22 best players earlier this spring and wants him on the field. Fans saw Blumrick’s athletic potential last fall, but not necessarily as a quarterback.

Now, that takes us back to Brown and Wells. Brown started four games for the Gamecocks last season, helping lead them to bowl eligibility. Before USC, Brown played at St. Francis, where he was an FCS All-American in 2019.

Wells started most of the last two seasons under center for the Thundering Herd. As a freshman in 2020, he was the Conference USA Freshman of the Year.

The pair alternated reps during the spring, with each starting in the spring game. Wells was terrific in the spring game, while Brown struggled. To be fair, Wells played with more of Virginia Tech’s starting players. However, it was clear his arm talent was hard to deny. In addition, Wells showed he can when necessary, too.

Heard in passing at B1G Media negotiations 2022 June (RX; HM)

Heard in passing at B1G Media negotiations 2022 June

From an article on Tuesday's Athletic about Big Ten media rights negotiations, this little tidbit was dropped:

"according to one league source, ESPN officials have made it clear the network is all-in with the SEC and ACC".

For those who think ESPN signed up with the ACC only to dismantle it, that's a pretty good indication otherwise. Also, while I know this is reading between the lines somewhat, it doesn't seem like ESPN is willing to give all of the ABC time slots to the SEC and B1G without any for the ACC - that would not be a good return on their ACC investment.
On the other hand, for those who think ESPN is going to pay the ACC what it's worth and not hold it to the existing contract - you need to read my post "A favor from ESPN?". Just because the ACC and ESPN are partners doesn't mean ESPN will pay more than they are required to pay. It's not personal, it's business.

As for the ACC: better get ready to invite whichever teams ESPN tells you to invite, Commissioner Phillips! Personally, I look forward to playing the Black Diamond Trophy game a lot more often...

FBS Media Deals, Payouts as of 2022 (RX; HM)

FBS Media Deals, Payouts as of 2022

Thanks to 'GTFletch' for finding this one!

How much does each FBS conference currently make from TV rights? From On3.com...

AAC

started in the fall of 2020, runs through the 2031-32, averages $83.3 million per year, or about $7 million per school annually. (Navy is in the league for football only; league member Wichita State does not play football.)

ACC

With ESPN, runs through 2036, pays about $240 million annually, or about $17 million per school (average over the length of the contract).

Big Ten

expires in 2023, about $440 million a year, or about $31.4 million per school.

Big 12

ends in 2025, pays about $200 million annually, or $20M per school.

Conference USA

Ends in 2023, with CBS Sports Network, schools receive between $400,000 and $500,000 annually.

Mid-American

Late Kick Blitz: Florida State is still a year away from ACC title contention (cbssports.com; video; Pate)

LOL

In this excerpt from Late Kick Live, Josh Pate responds to a viewer's bold prediction that the Seminoles will rebound from a losing season to capture the ACC championship.

VIDEO: Andy Demetra on Packer & Durham (ramblinwreck.com; video; Packer & Durham)

The Voice of the Yellow Jackets previews 2022 Georgia Tech football on ACC Network

Anonymous Coach Names College Football's Biggest 'Dumpster Fire' (thespun.com; Arend)

An anonymous college football coach is still puzzled as to how Herm Edwards still has his job at Arizona State.

In the Athlon Sports Arizona State preview, an anonymous opposing coach blasted Edwards and the Sun Devils.

He went as far to call the program the "biggest dumpster fire" in college football.

"This is the biggest dumpster fire in college football," the preview quoted one coach as saying about ASU. "It is absolutely mind blowing that Herm (Edwards) is still employed, at least in the mind of the college coaching community. Everyone knows it's a ticking time bomb, but no one knows if it's going off in a month or a year from now.

"They look like a mid-level SEC program when they get off the bus, and you start to see what they've been recruiting. They you finish the game and it's like playing a MWC team. They're wildling inconsistent, they turn the ball over, they make mental errors, it's all stuff that screams no stability. We've played them when they're locked in and physical, and we've played them when they're just not interested in being there."

Other

3IDNTD3RWJFZ3NN7HAW5UAV5JA.JPG

Hotel Truax is ready to begin its trip on June 16, 1922. Lifted off its foundation, the hotel was turned and moved across Harrison Street on steel rollers and rails which can be seen in front of the hotel. Onondaga Historical AssociationOnondaga Historical Association

Why did the 12 million lb. hotel cross the road? To make way for the Hotel Syracuse (PS; Croyle)

As Syracuse’s population and attractions boomed in the 1920s, developers made plans for an opulent, $5 million, 600-room hotel at the intersection of Warren, Harrison and Onondaga. They would call it the Hotel Syracuse.

But there was one big problem: A smaller hotel already occupied the space where they wanted to build.

Rather than raze that hotel, engineers and planners undertook one of the most amazing engineering achievements in Syracuse history: They picked up the 12-million-pound building, that’s 6,200 tons, and moved it across the street. And they did it without so much as breaking a window or even turning off the lights.

Here’s how.

The Hotel Truax was built in 1915.

The four-story brick building -- about 144 feet long with 126 rooms -- was one of several that stood in the way of the new Hotel Syracuse project.

While the others were demolished, the Syracuse Hotel Corporation had something different in mind for the Truax.

It would be moved across the street.