Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
1655812386489.png

Welcome to The Summer Solstice!

Early dawn, late dusk. If you’ve been enjoying these enchantingly long, bright days, Tuesday is a day to savor. June 21 is the summer solstice, the longest day and shortest night of the year in the Northern Hemisphere.

The 2022 summer solstice arrives at 5:14 a.m. Eastern time. At this precise moment the sun appears directly over the Tropic of Cancer — as far north as it appears in the sky all year. Around the solstice, the sun’s northward movement in the sky appears to pause briefly before reversing direction for the next six months.

The sun traces its longest and highest path through the sky, and you can observe sunrise and sunset at its northernmost points along the horizon.

SU News

Official Visit Preview: Eric King (SI; McAllister)

Class of 2023 Jersey City (NJ) St. Peter's Prep offensive lineman Eric King, who is listed at 6-4, 305 pounds, is set to officially visit Syracuse this coming weekend. Here is a look back at King's recruitment to date.

The First Offer

Syracuse was the first division one offer for Eric King in January 2021. At that time, Mike Cavanaugh was the offensive line coach with the Orange but he would leave for Arizona State shortly thereafter. Syracuse's new offensive line coach, Mike Schmidt, would later re-offer King to reaffirm the Orange's interest in the talented offensive lineman.

The In-State School Gets Involved

Rutgers offered King just two after Syracuse. The Scarlet Knights immediately prioritized King and recruited him extremely hard. The coaches were in constant contact and he was considered a Rutgers lean for quite a while. Specifically in the fall of 2021 into the early winter of 2022.

Visits

King took multiple visits to Rutgers in the summer of 2021 into that fall. In June 2021, King visited Temple. In early March 2022, King visited Syracuse for the first time. During his visit to Syracuse, he was able to check out a game day atmosphere during a basketball game.

Official Visit

In early May of this year, King announced an official visit to Syracuse scheduled for the weekend of June 24th. He does not have any other official visits currently scheduled, and says he is "fired up" to get a closer look at the Orange.

Zyian Moultrie-Goddard to Decide Between Two Schools in Coming Days Following Cuse Official (SI; McAllister)

Syracuse football hosted New Rochelle (NY) Iona Prep linebacker Zyian Moultrie-Goddard over the weekend for an official visit. It was his third time on campus since the spring, previously visiting for Junior Day and the Spring Game.

"This visit we were out a lot," Moultrie-Goddard said. "So I finally got to see the actual campus, the school side of things. This weekend was more of regular school and how it would be living there rather than just football."

The 6-2, 240 pound linebacker said there was one part of the trip he enjoyed the most.

"The best part of the visit was when we were just chilling with the players," Moultrie-Goddard said. "It felt like I was already part of the team. It felt like it was time for me to be in college."

Moultrie-Goddard's player host was someone with whom he had a previous relationship.

"I was with Elijah Fuentes," Moultrie-Goddard said. "It was a good time. That's my boy. He's from the Bronx so we speak all the time. He didn't really tell me anything new. Just that it's a family environment but you have to work hard."

Moultrie-Goddard also spent a lot of time with the Syracuse coaching staff.

"I already had a good relationship with most of the coaches," Moultrie-Goddard said. "It was good spending time with them. They're all really good, genuine people. They were telling me that they work hard but also have fun.

Syracuse Visit Boosts Interest for Deandre Duffus (SI; McAllister)

Class of 2023 Hollywood (FL) Chaminade-Madonna offensive lineman Deandre Duffus is one of the most coveted players at his position this cycle. He has more than two dozen offers from all over the country. He took an official visit to Syracuse this past weekend after seeing Maryland the weekend prior.

"The best part of the visit was my meeting with (offensive line) coach (Mike) Schmidt," Duffus said. "I got to see some of his schemes and stuff with the o-line. A lot of the techniques he teaches are NFL techniques. So I knew he'd be able to develop me and if I'm blessed enough to go to the next level, I wouldn't be lost."

Duffus was able to bond with more than just Schmidt as the Orange staff rolled out the red carpet for him.

"Also talking with all the coaches and being with the staff was a big part," Duffus said. "It was like a real family atmosphere. They're real upfront about everything. Them letting me know how they like the program and what being part of the program is."

Spending time with the Syracuse players was also a highlight of the trip.

Syracuse football recruiting: 3-star OL Deandre Duffus sets commitment date (247sports.com; Bailey)

Class of 2023 offensive lineman Deandre Duffus plans to make a commitment on July 3, he announced on Monday afternoon. A standout junior from Hollywood (Fla.) Chaminade-Madonna Prep, he took an official visit to Syracuse football this past weekend.

The 6-foot-4, 330-pound Duffus is rated three stars and the No. 104 offensive tackle this cycle by the 247Sports Composite. He's also taken an official visit to Maryland this month and previously told our Andrew Ivins that he'll be touring Indiana this upcoming weekend. That leaves one open weekend for a potential final visit for Duffus, who recently added West Virginia to an offer list that also includes Colorado, Florida, Georgia Tech, Louisville, Miami, Michigan State, NC State, Ole Miss, Oregon, Penn State, Pittsburgh, Tennessee, UCF and USF, among others.

Duffus played left guard for Hollywood Chaminade-Madonna Prep last fall, helping the team earn a Florida 3A state title and earning a spot on the Sun Sentinel All-County squad.

The Orange currently has three Class of 2023 prospects committed this cycle in quarterback LaNorris Sellers, who will take his official visit this upcoming weekend, as well as tight end David Clement, who was on campus this past weekend, and defensive lineman Rashard Perry.

Syracuse Becomes First School to Create NFT for Student-Athletes (SI; McAllister)

Syracuse University is the first NCAA school to create non-fungible tokens (NFT) for its student-athletes that allows those student-athletes to profit under name image and likeness (NIL) rules. The school announced the historic deal through its partnership with Fantastec SWAP as part of the ACCELERATE program, designed to aid student-athletes in NIL opportunities.

NFT are digital collectibles that can be collected, swapped or traded by fans or collectors through the Fantastec SWAP app.

More from a Syracuse Athletics press release:

The "Season Preview Collection" will debut on June 23rd with additional utilities available throughout 2022-23.

"We are thrilled that our student-athletes will benefit from their likeness in conjunction with the Block S," said Syracuse Director of Athletics . "Fantastec SWAP is an industry leader in creativity and technical prowess. As the first NCAA program to collaborate with Fantastec SWAP, our student-athletes have another unique opportunity to expand their Name, Image and Likeness (NIL) portfolio and engage with our fans in a new and innovative way."

Syracuse football recruiting: NYS EDGE Jalil Smith raves about official visit (247sports.com; $; Bailey)

Class of 2023 EDGE Jalil Smith received a thorough vision for what life would be like for him at Syracuse during his official visit over the weekend. A standout junior at Lincoln High School in Brooklyn, he was hosted by Denis Jaquez Jr., a true freshman who enrolled early like Smith plans to.

He sat down with defensive line coach Chris Achuff and defensive coordinator Tony White, breaking down film...

Garcia: Syracuse in good position for Zyian Moultrie-Goddard, Jalil Smith - The Juice Online (the juice; podcast; Cheng)

Syracuse football is in the midst of a huge recruiting push having hosted several high-priority recruits over the weekend, and we caught up with John Garcia Jr., Director of SI All-American at Sports Illustrated, to see where SU stands on this week’s The Juice on the Cuse Podcast, presented by SNY.tv.

In particular, two 2023 recruits took official visits this weekend: linebacker Zyian Moultrie-Goddard from Iona (NY) Prep in New Rochelle and defensive lineman Jalil Smith from Lincoln (NY) High in Brooklyn.

Get to Know Your Orange Man: #60, OT Matthew Bergeron (TNIAAM; Haller)

Name:
Matthew Bergeron
Position: Offensive tackle
Year: Junior
Height: 6’5”
Weight: 327 lbs.
Hometown: Victoriaville, QC
High School: Cégep de Thetford

2021 stats: Started all twelve games at left tackle for the Syracuse Orange. He’s going to be the penned in starter there again. Honorable Mention All-ACC and an ECAC All-Star in his second year starting for the Orange.

2022 projections: He’s the starter. Do I need more projection here? He’s started 28 straight games and should be up for more if he can avoid the injury bug. He will be the anchor on the line and give Garrett Shrader to the time to do what he needs to do behind him.

How’d he get here?: Relatively unrecruited, the Orange snagged a diamond with Bergeron.

What’d recruiting sites say?: Three stars all around.

Money quote: He told Nate Mink over at Syracuse.com a little about being coached by Mike Schmidt

“The thing with Schmidt is he ain’t going to let you know you’re there,” Bergeron said. “He’s going to be saying you can do that better, your set could be better, your feet could be better.”
Mink followed up asking if he liked being coached that way:

“For sure. I think I need it.”
Twitterfeed: @matthewkberger1

Tweets of wonder: Good to see the boys all getting along off the field. Nothing like a good old fashioned cookout.

Goodfellas https://t.co/YEaL5edrUP
— Matthew Bergeron (@MatthewkBerger1) June 9, 2022
Interesting nugget o’ interest: Bergeron’s family got to see him play in person for the first time in two years for the Pitt game, due to the Canadian border reopening. The last time they had seen him before that was the 2019 Wake Forest thriller in the Dome. I’m sure they’ll be happy to be back in the Dome this fall.

Let’s get a good look at ya: Here’s what Matthew had to say during his spring practice media appearance.

Get to Know Your Orange Man: #59 DL, Ahmad Masood (TNIAAM; Wall)

We continue to preview the Syracuse Orange 2022 roster. Up next

Name: Ahmad Masood
Position: Defensive Line
Year: (Redshirt) Freshman
Height: 6’3”
Weight: 250 lbs
Hometown: Bloomfield Hills, MI
High School: Cranbrook Kingswood

2021 stats: Did not play but got an inch taller over the last 12 months.

2022 projections: Masood seems to be headed towards scout team duty again but the path to playing time is a bit more open on the defensive line in the future. If he continues his trend of getting taller he could find himself invited to join the basketball team when football season ends.

How’d he get here?: A preferred walk-on who joined the Orange in January 2021.

What’d recruiting sites say?: No ratings.

Twitter feed: @ahmadmasood51

Interesting nugget o’interest: Masood is part of a small group of college football players of South Asian descent

“It put in perspective how big football is in the Indian or Pakistani community,” Masood said. “Something I pride myself on is that I was able to break the stereotypical mold of what people think.”
Let’s get a look at ya: Here’s some clips from high school

3-Star DL Tyriq Blanding Is Another In-State Miss For SU – Orange Fizz – Daily Syracuse Recruiting News & Team Coverage (orangefizz.net; Bainbridge)

As the Summer rolls along, we’re only bound to learn more about Syracuse football’s incoming Class of ‘23. Things have been fairly quiet on that front since quarterback LaNorris Sellers committed to the Orange back in March, but you figure SU is gearing up to net some commits and come up with more movie poster tweets to announce them.

However, SU’s Class of ‘23 looks to be lacking in one familiar area: local and in-state talent. More specifically, top talent from in-state looks to be gravitating to out-of-state schools, including the No. 1 overall recruit from New York: Tyriq Blanding.

110% committed #weare #PSU pic.twitter.com/Q18DRQvZNk
— Tyriq Blanding (@Tyriq58) June 18, 2022

Blanding, a 6’3” 275-pound defensive lineman from Middle Village, NY, announced his commitment to Penn State two days ago. His status as the top talent from the state meant that offers from Syracuse and Buffalo were all but guaranteed among an impressive slate of suitors, but it should still disappoint ‘Cuse fans that both those schools ended up in the exact same spot: without Blanding’s services. It’s a tough miss, particularly with defensive line clocking in as a primary position of current need for the Orange and Blanding having already visited The Hill.

Syracuse’s lack of ability to secure in-state talent has been chronic and well-documented since Paul Pasqualoni patrolled the Dome sidelines. We wrote about the issue around this time last year, and did so once again when SU’s early recruiting group came into the fray. Class of ‘22 defensive lineman Q’yaier Price’s early-period flip to Rutgers from Syracuse certainly stung, but the Scarlet Knights also swooped up the top talent from New York state in that class in 4-star linebacker Moses Walker. The issue seems to be circular – at some point, Syracuse’s relationships and pipelines with local high schools ruptured, leading to a decline in talent and win totals. Once the team started to lose, that only further repelled more recruits. It’s a challenging circle to break out of, and most SU coaches since Greg Robinson have struggled to break it.

(youtube; video; TheSabre)

TheSabre.com is breaking down the 2022 Virginia football schedule with a look at each opponent. The Hoos open ACC play with a Friday night game at Syracuse.

Future ACC Scheduling For Clemson (youtube; video; The Voice of CFB)

Most Power 5 conferences are working on a new scheduling model that eliminates the divisions but Clemson Coach Dabo Swinney seems to embrace the old way instead of the new.

kedon-slovis-getty.jpg

Kedon Slovis will try and salvage his career at Pittsburgh/Getty Images

ACC football transfers: Pitt eyes Kenny Pickett's replacement while FSU, Miami add defensive stars (cbssports.com; Patterson)

The deadline to enter the transfer portal and be eligible for the 2022 college football season passed last month, and most of the remaining uncommitted players have solidified their fall plans in recent weeks. We don't have a formal transfer window in the sport (yet), but the start of June does marks a turning point in finalizing the rosters for the upcoming season.

So how did the ACC fare in the transfer portal during the 2022 cycle? Modern transfer rules have allowed players to not only move with less restriction, but have immediate eligibility to make an instant impact. In the ACC, that's been a boost for the schools that have undergone coaching changes, as Duke, Miami, Virginia and Virginia Tech all saw some roster fluctuation in the offseason.

Elsewhere in the ACC, the transfer portal has allowed coaches get experienced contributors who don't need years of development to have an impact. When you're going into a high-pressure season -- like Florida State, Georgia Tech, Louisville and Syracuse -- coaches want to know the depth chart isn't loaded with players who are a year away.

As a conference, the ACC wasn't the most active in the portal, but even the programs bringing in just a couple of transfers have a name or two of note who could have a major role in their team's success during the 2022 season. Below we've highlighted four players expected to be impact transfers across the ACC, plus one player to know for each of the remaining 10 teams in the conference.

Miami Hurricanes Football Preview (youtube.com; video; The U)

The U Is Back! With new head coach Mario Cristobal taking the reins things are beginning to get back on track for Miami football. Special Guest, Manny Navarro of The Athletic and Host of Wide Right Pod joins Jim and Will on ACC Nation and shares his thoughts on the program heading into the fall. Be sure to subscribe for all of the ACC+1 football previews and more plus listen to us on our podcast or streaming radio

Mitchell Wolfe's All-ACC Teams: Wide Receivers (SI; Wolfe)

1st-Team All-ACC Wide Receivers: Josh Downs, North Carolina; Zay Flowers, Boston College; and Dontayvion Wicks, Virginia

In my article where I listed every ACC team’s best player, two of my First-Team All-ACC receivers made appearances. One could make the argument that the third has a strong case as the best player on his team as well. Starting with Josh Downs, the Tar Heels’ receiver exploded onto the scene last year, taking over for Dyami Brown and Dazz Newsome. He was an extremely productive player out of the slot in North Carolina’s RPO-heavy offense. This season, while he will be working with a new starting quarterback, his run-after-catch ability should allow him to remain one of the most productive players in the conference.

Going into last season, Downs actually beat out the next player for many All-ACC preseason honors. Zay Flowers ended up having a somewhat disappointing 2021 season, but most of it was due to lackluster quarterback play. This season, Phil Jurkovec is back in the lineup and new offensive coordinator John McNulty has spoken at length about making Flowers the featured player in the Eagles’ offense. Flowers is obviously somewhat diminutive but he has staved off injuries thus far in his career. If he (and Jurkovec) can stay healthy, he should be among the conference leaders in receiving.

Dontayvion Wicks also gets his quarterback back again this season. Furthermore, the Cavaliers should be running a more effective, at least efficient, offense under new head coach Tony Elliott. Wicks was a lethal deep threat for Virginia last season; furthermore, his teammates in the receiver’s room combine to form the deepest and perhaps the most talented receiving corps in the country, let alone the conference. Therefore, defenses will not be able to always rotate coverages towards Wicks, giving him plenty of single coverage opportunities where he excels.

New ACC names to know: Boston College (theclemsoninsider.com; Potter)

Clemson figures to have its share of newcomers that will contribute immediately this fall, but what about the Tigers’ competition?

The Clemson Insider is taking a look at some of the new faces around the ACC that could make an immediate impact for their new teams. Whether it be transfers or incoming freshmen, we’ll start with key players on teams that the Tigers will face next season before moving on to the rest of the league.

Boston College

TE George Takacs

Takacs is an intriguing prospect that could fill in immediately for the departed Trae Barry, who was Boston College’s second-leading receiver at tight end last season. At 6-foot-6 and 247 pounds, Takacs, who had just three catches last season, spent most of his time in South Bend as a run blocker, but he has the frame and the opportunity to be a bigger threat in the passing game for the Eagles this fall.

WR Dino Tomlin

The son of Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin, the younger Tomlin didn’t have much of a role at Maryland as a reserve the last three seasons. Boston College still has all-conference receiver Zay Flowers on the outside, but the speedy Tomlin could be a factor in the slot and on special teams. The 6-0, 165-pounder was a three-star recruit coming out of high school.

TE/WR Joseph Griffin Jr.

Griffin was the highest-ranked recruit in Boston College’s signing class, earning offers from the likes of Notre Dame and Arizona before ultimately choosing to stay close to home. As a 6-4, 200-pound receiver, it’s easy to see why the Springfield native was coveted by multiple Power Five programs. Griffin had more than 100 catches, 1,900 receiving yards and 20 touchdown receptions during his high school career and may be too talented for the Eagles to keep off the field this season.

On ACC predictions, ESPN's Herbstreit 'very nervous' about Clemson QB situation (tigernet.com; Rink)

for gbo

Lead ESPN college football analyst Kirk Herbstreit said recently that he's picking Clemson within the ACC, but there's one spot he has his reservations on.

"I think you've got to be practical. I tend to think Clemson, NC State and Wake -- those teams are going to be in kind of a battle," Herbstreit told the Gramlich and Mac Lain podcast of his Atlantic Division pick recently. "Clemson has them in back-to-back weeks. So I think that's interesting. I'll be honest, I'm very nervous about the play of the quarterback position at Clemson. I think DJ (Uiagalelei) has the goods. I think he's a talented guy. I think we just need to see a better job of what he can do more consistently. Watch him in the spring game and it's exciting to see he has a chance.

"I lean toward Clemson but I'm nervous about the quarterback play."

Herbstreit went on to rank his ACC championship contenders as Clemson then NC State, Wake Forest and Pitt.

The longtime ESPN College GameDay panelist says the schedule doesn't look all that forgiving and a QB has to step up.

"Usually you sit around in the summer and say, 'Who could Clemson lose to?' and there's one or two games respectfully," said the Clemson dad to wide receiver Tye Herbstreit. "This year -- I'm not saying they're going to lose them, until you see them getting back to scoring 35-40 points a game, you sit there and say, 'That could be a good game.' 'That could be a good game.' It's kind of an exciting time for Clemson. There for a while, 'Alright, they're going to win the ACC...They're in Charlotte, it's just a matter of who they're going to play.' And then they're probably going to beat that opponent and just put them in the Playoff. After Trevor (Lawrence) left, it's OK, let's see how things are going. DJ could have a monster year and shut everybody up. Because we saw what he could do the year before.

Miami poised to make a jump (RX; HM)

Miami poised to make a jump

From ESPN+: "Miami and three other football programs poised to change their reputations and make a serious jump" (italics are mine):

Miami: Finances no longer an obstacle for ex-powerhouse

Miami's quest to move up a tier is fascinating because of what the program was not so long ago. The Hurricanes reached the sport's pinnacle somewhat recently, winning a national title in 2001, competing for another in 2002 and recording a fourth straight AP top-five finish in 2003. Miami also was the nation's preeminent program for much of the 1980s and early 1990s, collecting four national titles and eight top-three finishes.
But the past 19 seasons have brought zero conference titles and only one division championship to the U. The program cycled through coaches but never made the investments needed to keep pace with a shifting college football landscape. That all changed late last fall, as Miami pursued and ultimately plucked coach Mario Cristobal from Oregon and athletic director Dan Radakovich from Clemson.
Cristobal's Miami roots run deep -- he won two national championships as a Hurricanes offensive lineman and worked as an assistant coach from 2004 to 2006. Radakovich began his administrative career at Miami in the 1980s. But without Miami's newfound commitment to upgrade facilities and other areas of the program, Cristobal and Radakovich wouldn't have left great situations for Coral Gables...
Miami is delivering on its promises, as ESPN's Andrea Adelson wrote last month. Cristobal assembled a strong staff and facilities plans are coming together. As soon as NIL went into effect last July, Miami became a major player in the space...

Why NIL makes TV money less important (RX; HM)

Why NIL makes TV money less important

From the CSNBBS thread "If Big Ten deal exceeds 1Billion annually, should the ACC be worried?"
I think this Clemson fan who goes by the online name "Schema" speaks to the fears of a lot of ACC fans:

For the next eleven years or so, I'm sure I'll worry about the ever growing financial gap between the ACC and the SEC/B1G. Then, probably around 2033 or 2034, I'll start worry about what kind of new media contract the ACC will be able to negotiate with Disney during their exclusive negotiation window or on the open market if they don't plan on re-signing with Disney. If schools in the ACC drastically improved their football product over the years and a new (much shorter) media contract sounds awesome, then great. Otherwise, if the next ten to twelve years of ACC football didn't go so well and the rumors of the new media contract negotiations are underwhelming, then my worry changes to hoping the SEC or B1G choose my alma mater for expansion.

Penn State football: PSU should bring back the Pitt series (victorybellrings.com; Mangum)

In 1993, Penn State football moved from independent to the Big Ten conference. With this move, the Nittany Lions’ biggest rivalry started to fade out. In came the days of playing Ohio State, Michigan, and Michigan State–gone were the days of playing Pitt, Syracuse, and West Virginia.

Penn State football: would removing divisions help PSU?
There are many reasons that Penn State should be playing Pitt every year. Although Penn State has bigger fish to fry in the Big Ten, the Nittany Lions have no true in-conference rival. Though this is simply a symptom of joining a new conference, playing the old rivals could benefit profits and TV ratings and spark the old in-state rivalry.

As I said, Penn State has no true in-conference rival. Because Penn State football joined the Big Ten in 1993, the Nittany Lions missed any real rivalry action. The programs in the same tier as Penn State back then were Ohio State, Michigan, and Michigan State–all of which had their own rivalries in place.

Wisconsin, Iowa, and Nebraska are the big-name programs in the west division; although the Badgers have seen great success in recent years, they were not a big enough threat to be a rival two decades ago. Iowa and Nebraska are too far away and not played enough to form rivalries with Penn State.

The only two teams close to Penn State in the Big Ten are Maryland and Rutgers. Although the Nittany Lions do not get along well with Maryland, the Terps are not good enough to be considered a genuine rival despite the claims of their small fan base. Not having a rival in college football not only hurts national relevance, but it leaves the fans craving a game that is bigger than the game.

When it comes to college football, nothing means more than the rivalries. College football rivalries are unique to the sport–they bleed past the teams themselves into a personal hatred for cities and states. Bringing back Penn State’s true in-state rival would benefit the schools, fan bases, and the state itself. College football needs a fiery rivalry in Pennsylvania again, and Pitt vs. Penn State is the series that everyone wants to see fill that void.

Other

RQTDMB26DVCG3DDPP7Q42OOLBY.jpg

The Trinity Church parish house on West Onondaga Street David Haas

One of Syracuse’s oldest houses could get new life as an event space (Beyond the Front Door) (PS; $; Haas)

Syracuse is brimming with old buildings. The city is a tapestry of majestic mansions and imposing relics of industry. Some have been lost, while others are still loved or being brought back to life and vitality.

My name is David Haas and I’ve spent years exploring and photographing the beautiful old buildings and homes that fill Syracuse. I document them on my Instagram page,
@SyracuseHistory. In this series, I’ll take you beyond the front door of some of the city’s most unique properties, the ones you’ve probably seen countless times from the curb, but have never explored inside. And we’ll meet the people who aim to transform, restore or raze these places for something new.

In recent weeks, I introduced you to the Trinity Episcopal church and the former William Gillett House, two of the three properties that make up what is known as the Trinity Campus on West Onondaga Street. Today, we’ll look inside the final piece of the trinity: the parish house.

The parish house was originally constructed in 1871. According to the research of Avamaria Hardin, the picturesque frame house was built by Reuben Porter for local newspaperman, Carroll Earll Smith, son of Vivus – a prominent political figure and newspaper editor in early Syracuse history.

Carroll, much like his father, was a lifelong journalist. Carroll’s writing focused on public policy while advocating for historical preservation. During Carroll’s life he also served as city clerk, postmaster, member of the state assembly and president of the Onondaga Historical Association. He passed away at the age of 70 in 1903 and was buried in Oakwood Cemetery.

The house originally sat where the Trinity Episcopal church is now. Around 1913, the house was literally picked up and moved to the back of the property to make way for the construction of the church. It was used by the church over the years, but the pastor didn’t live there.

After the church closed in 1994, the parish house has been sporadically used by other local religious groups until it was purchased by the Trinity Campus group of neighbors in 2019 – along with the Gillett House and church.

Last edited:
Reactions: gbo