Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
1656419108206.jpeg

Welcome to Paul Bunyan Day!

North American folklore is replete with stories of larger-than-life figures, but none of them stands taller than the giant lumberjack Paul Bunyan, who is said to have traveled around the continent with Babe, his big blue ox. Many cities and states across the United States pay tribute to Bunyan, some have put up statues of him, and some also claim him to be their native son. Some areas where Bunyan is prominently featured include Bemidji, Brainerd, and Akeley, in Minnesota; Bangor, Maine; and locations in Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, and California. On Paul Bunyan Day, his legend is not only celebrated in these locations but all around the world.

Throughout history, the story of Paul Bunyan has changed and grown until becoming what it is today. One account says that Bunyan was based on Fabian "Joe" Fournier, a French-Canadian logger who moved to Michigan after the American Civil War. Known as Saginaw Joe, he was strongly built, had giant hands, and was six feet in height. Rumor has it that he also had two sets of teeth. It is believed that he died in 1875 after being hit in the back of the head with a mallet during a fight in Bay City, Michigan. After his death and the trial of his alleged killer, stories about him started turning into tales.

SU News

Emmanuel Dankwa Gets Close Look at Syracuse (SI; McAllister)

Syracuse football hosted 2023 Wayne (NJ) Hills linebacker Emmanuel Dankwa for an official visit over the weekend.

"Going into the visit, there was lots of activity," Dankwa said. "The organization was really good. I really love the Sheraton room, how everything was laid out and the snacks. I liked going to the events like Apex. Everything like that. The pictures too, I loved that. It made everything good with the chair and everything else. It was really nice."

Going into the visit, Dankwa did not hold an offer from Syracuse despite some impressive performances at the Monmouth and Wagner camps. That changed on the visit, however, as he picked up a scholarship opportunity before heading home.

"When they offered, it was when I was getting ready to leave," Dankwa said. "Coach Babers, coach Monroe, coach White all sat down with me and my family. They discussed how they loved my tape and everything. I wasn't really surprised but it did give me a little bit of a shock with how it felt. I really appreciated the way they offered."

The 6-2, 220 pound backer was able to spend time with current players on the trip.

Syracuse football picks up predictions for talented 3-star offensive lineman (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse football is receiving some analyst buzz for a three-star offensive lineman in the 2023 class.

At least two predictions have arrived in the Orange’s direction on the 247Sports Web site for Jayden Bass, who holds around 20 scholarship offers and recently took official visits to the Hill along with UConn, according to recruiting services.

It’s worth noting that one of those projections has a high confidence level and is from Brian Dohn, a well-respected national recruiting analyst with 247Sports.

The 6-foot-5, 295-pound Bass, who is a rising senior at Springfield Central High School in Springfield, Mass., was offered by the ‘Cuse coaching staff in early June.

Syracuse football has proven busy in recent weeks hosting 2023 targets on official visits.

Bass, rated three stars by 247Sports, is also ranked as the No. 130 offensive tackle across the country by that recruiting service.

His bio on the 247Sports Web site notes that Bass has secured 19 scholarship offers, from teams such as Air Force, Albany, Army, Bryant, UMass, Navy and Temple. We’ll obviously continue to closely monitor his recruiting process moving forward.

Another 2023 three-star offensive lineman who recently made an official visit to the Orange, Deandre Duffus, plans to announce his college choice on July 3, he has said on social media.

1236284597.0.jpg

Photo by Gregory Fisher/Icon Sportswire via Getty Image

Can Syracuse’s Sean Tucker get the national respect he deserves in 2022? (TNIAAM; Wall)

Syracuse Orange running back Sean Tucker exploded onto the national stage last fall but as the Orange struggled he lost opportunities to remain in the Heisman or Doak Walker finalists lists. Tucker was among the players listed as underrated by 247 Sports and while it’s hard for Syracuse fans to believe that after his school-record setting performance it’s the reality he faces.

This is likely to be Tucker’s final season in Syracuse so is it actually possible for him to carry the ball less but get more recognition? I say absolutely yes. If the Orange can get production from their passing game and their back-ups, Tucker won’t have to shoulder such a heavy load. Last year Tucker had 246 carries and in November his yards per attempt dropped from to 5.1. Some of this was due to the competition over those three games and Syracuse falling behind but even a physical freak like Tucker can get worn down over time.

So we don’t know about the passing game yet but Syracuse could be healthier on the offensive line if Dakota Davis, Chris Bleich and Chris Elmore are around for a full season. The highlights from Wake show several runs where Elmore is clearing space for Tucker and the Boston College game featured Davis and Bleich working together to clear plenty of room for both Tucker and Garrett Shrader.

Syracuse Football: 2022 Orange Season Preview and Prediction (athlonsports.com)

Syracuse has rejuvenated energy heading into what could be a bowl-or-bust Year 7 under Dino Babers. The head coach overhauled his staff, a shakeup highlighted by the additions of offensive coordinator Robert Anae and quarterbacks coach Jason Beck — two products of the Bronco Mendenhall tree who head to Central New York from Virginia.

That offensive brain trust will look to develop a passing game to complement the rushing success established around All-America running back Sean Tucker and dual-threat quarterback Garrett Shrader — a duo that combined for 2,277 rushing yards and 26 touchdowns on the ground last year.

On the other side of the ball, a back eight that returns each of its starters will need a young defensive line to grow up quickly after the team's top five contributors from last fall exited the program.

In their way: a daunting schedule that starts with a home game against Louisville and includes arguably the toughest four-game stretch in recent program history.

Previewing Syracuse's Offense for 2022

Shrader returns as the projected starting quarterback, tasked with reviving what was one of the nation's worst air attacks. SU ranked 121st in the Football Bowl Subdivision last year, averaging 158.2 passing yards per game. And the unit's imbalance contributed to Syracuse scoring just 24.9 points per game, good for 91st nationally.

Having spent the 2020 season working as a wide receiver at Mississippi State, Shrader believes his accrual of consistent QB reps will lead to a more productive second season in orange. The bruising 6'4", 228-pound playmaker completed 52.6 percent of his passes for 1,445 yards, nine touchdowns and four interceptions in 2021. Before finishing the year with a pair of scoring strikes against Pittsburgh, though, Shrader went three full games without throwing a TD.

The path to moving the ball through the air, however, goes through the offensive line and receiving corps. A front five that has ranked near the bottom of the FBS in sacks and pressures allowed each of the last three years is still looking to solidify its center and right tackle positions with offers gradually trickling out to transfer targets over the course of the offseason.

SU’s Cornerbacks Are Key To Defensive Success, Wins In 2022 – Orange Fizz – Daily Syracuse Recruiting News & Team Coverage (orangefizz.net; Bainbridge)

The summer has marked a veritable Syracuse sports desert. With no football or basketball to play, the attention has all but focused on men’s basketball recruiting efforts. There doesn’t appear to be another Justin Taylor walking through the door in the Class of ‘23, so it’s worth keeping your eye on what Dino Babers and company are doing with this year’s rendition of ‘Cuse football.

We spent most of last summer hand-wringing about how bad things were looking for the Orange. A lot of unknowns following a 1-10 year eventually fell into place to produce some competitive football, and our takes about a run-heavy offense (among others) did materialize. This time around, the questions are a little different, and the most pressing among them concern defensive coordinator Tony White’s 3-3-5 unit. New personnel across the defensive alignment provide some question marks, but those can be soothed by another consistent year from SU’s most promising position group: the secondary.

SU’s defense didn’t rank too badly in 2021 and eventually came to rest at 65th in the nation in points allowed per game. The figure ranked 6th in the ACC, but the Orange also ranked 4th in sacks with 37. Plenty of TFLs and sacks came from a rejuvenated defensive line that just said goodbye to all four of last year’s starters in Josh Black, McKinley Williams, Cody Roscoe, and Kingsley Jonathan.

With the loss of those four in mind, redshirt sophomore cornerback Garrett Williams’ decision to return to ‘Cuse instead of testing the NFL draft is major. Williams ranked as one of last year’s most important returning players, and had a solid season to again with 52 tackles and nine pass breakups that lead the ACC. On the other side, then-freshman Duce Chestnut burst onto the scene with an eight-tackle plus interception performance on opening day and helped solidify the unit, eventually hawking three interceptions. At year’s end, the pair bolstered last year’s defense that allowed just three teams to throw for over 200 yards. An extra season of experience for the duo can only help.

Football: Iona Prep stars Moultrie-Goddard, Sheppard, Martin are all Division I bound (lohud.com; Thomson)

The idea to coordinate college commitments is nothing new in the age of social media, but Iona Prep football coach Joe Spagnolo saw an opportunity. When he broached it with three of his returning stars, they didn't take much convincing.

"I think it just came down to our timelines matching up with each other," senior quarterback Ajani Sheppard said. "So we just decided to do it all in one week."

Zyian Moultrie-Goddard made his decision last Wednesday. Capri Martin followed suit Friday, then Sheppard announced his decision Monday.

"It was special because we grew up together," Martin said. "We've known each other since we were 12. It's good to know we succeeded and reached our goals."

Below is a breakdown of Iona Prep's latest commits. The trio will follow in the footsteps of 24 other former Gaels, who are now Division I rosters.

Capri Martin, Villanova

The 6-foot-2, 240-pound Martin is a defensive lineman entering his third season as a varsity starter. The Bridgeport resident is already a three-time heavyweight champion wrestler and was named fifth-team all-state as a junior.

Martin earned offers from Temple, Navy, Air Force, Holy Cross and Lafayette as well, but said his decision hinged on Villanova vs. Army.

"I picked Villanova because it was a better fit for me," Martin said. "They play the same defense as Iona. It's very similar to Iona so it was a better fit."

Martin said he expects to play inside at tackle, adding that his combination of size, quickness, speed and strength were his best attributes.

Iona Prep football player Zyian Moultrie-Goddard announced his college commitment to Syracuse at the school June 27, 2022.

Zyian Moultrie-Goddard, Syracuse

The 6-foot-2, 240-pound inside linebacker, who joined the Gaels' varsity as a freshman at midseason, was among the program's most coveted players in the last two decades. He earned 18 offers, including recent offers from the likes of Buffalo, UMass, UConn, Miami of Ohio, Dartmouth, Columbia, Army, Navy and Air Force, plus interest from Tennessee, Arizona State and other high-major programs.

Moultrie-Goddard was the leader of the defense for last year's city and Catholic state champs, earning first-team all-state honors, and will enter the fall as a three-year captain. In the end, he picked Syracuse over West Virginia.

"I liked Syracuse because it wasn't too far from home and my parents can make it to all my games," the Harlem resident said. "I liked the family feel when I was there. I feel like I fit into their defense really well."

The Orange had been among the first to recruit Moultrie-Goddard — starting prior to him making an impact on the varsity.

"At the end it was between West Virginia and Syracuse," he added. "They both were two great programs with obviously a great history. They were both schools I would have liked to be a part of."

Mike McAllister "On The Block" 6-27 (ESPN; radio; Axe)

Mike McAllister, publisher for Syracuse on SI, joins Brent to discuss the latest recruiting news surrounding Syracuse football and men’s basketball.

Noles News: Is Jared Verse college football’s next breakout star? (tomahawknation.com; LNoK)

Football:

CBSSports picked four breakout stars for college football this year and Jared Verse is one of them.

The comparisons to Jermaine Johnson are going to be plentiful. Johnson arrived at Florida State from Georgia and wound up as the ACC Defensive Player of the Year in 2021 before becoming a first-round draft pick. Those are high expectations, and it’s a bit unfair (if not premature) to simply assume Verse will replicate those accolades. However, the belief that Verse could be at least an all-conference player seems appropriate. Verse was a FCS Freshman All-American an had 13.5 sacks in 15 career games at Albany. If he can handle the jump in talent, Verse could position himself as one of the more critical transfers of 2022. — Ben Kercheval
Speaking of Verse:

On3’s college football Impact 300 Top 20 ACC players Top 20 ACC players in the On3 College Football Impact 300 pic.twitter.com/rs1PWDPaHj
— On3 (@On3sports) June 28, 2022
Jazston Turnetine is eager to contribute.

With a junior quarterback and a multitude of returning starters it’s a pivotal season in Tallahassee.

Ohio State’s AD says that you should let schools get involved with NIL “officially”.

Recruiting:

FSU has made the final four top running back target Daylan Smothers:

Where should I land ?…. pic.twitter.com/QVoa60x0Qh
— Daylan Smothers (@h3llywood) June 27, 2022
Is Florida State getting some good news today?

Change of plans I will be announcing my commitment Tomorrow @ 2:30pm!
— DeMarco Ward (@DeMarco1x) June 27, 2022
This is starting to get a little crazy:

Ranking Elite 11 QB Recruits (RX; HM)

Ranking Elite 11 QB Recruits

From ESPN: Ranking the best college football QB recruits in Elite 11 history, from Justin Fields to Caleb Williams by Billy Tucker...

Founded in 1999, the Elite 11 is the premier quarterback event for the nation's top college football recruits. Winners from 10 regional camps throughout each spring come together in July to receive advanced, one-on-one quarterback instruction in a highly competitive setting...
How notable is the all-time roster? The top performers over the past 23 years have been a "Who's Who" of Heisman Trophy winners and future NFL first-round draft picks. Thirteen of the past 14 Heisman-winning quarterbacks attended the Elite 11 finals or an Elite 11 regional. Twenty-six out of 32 NFL starters also claim space in this celebrated fraternity.
Below we rank the top 20 all-time performances and recap each quarterback's post-event career. [Editor's note: ESPN began ranking college football recruits in 2006 and expanded the ESPN 150 to the ESPN 300 starting with the Class of 2013.][Quarterbacks who played for current ACC teams in bold - Hokie Mark]
20. Sean White, NSU University School (FL), Auburn, Class of 2014 ESPN 300 ranking: 41
19. Spencer Rattler, Pinnacle High School (AZ), Oklahoma and South Carolina, Class of 2019 ESPN 300 ranking: 29
18. Caleb Williams, Gonzaga College High School (D.C.), Oklahoma and USC, Class of 2021 ESPN 300 ranking: 16

What does a Stadium Cost These Days? (RX; HM)

What does a Stadium Cost These Days?

Miami is one school reportedly considering to build a new stadium...

Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta, GA would cost about $1.66B today.

Do you want your school to build an on-campus stadium? You better calculate the cost first to see if they can afford it! Here's a list of "state-of-the-art" stadiums and how much they cost to build:

RankStadiumSportMain tenant(s)LeagueCity,
Country
OpenedTotal cost ($US)Inflation-adjusted ($US)Capacity
1SoFi
Stadium
Football*LA RamsNFLInglewood
USA
2020$5.5 B$5.76 B70,000
LA Chargers
2Allegiant StadiumFootballLas Vegas RaidersNFLParadise
USA
2020$1.9 B$1.99 B65,000
UNLV RebelsNCAA
3MetLife
Stadium
FootballNY JetsNFLE. Rutherford
USA
2010$1.7 B$2.11 B82,500
NY Giants
4Mercedes-
Benz
Stadium
FootballAtlanta FalconsNFLAtlanta
USA
2017$1.5 B$1.66 B75,000
Soccer*Atlanta UnitedMLS

Best Recruiting by P5 Conference (RX; HM)

Best Recruiting by P5 Conference

Which team(s) have dominated recruiting in each of the power five conferences?

ACC

Florida State and Clemson have won the ACC 10 out of the last 11 times.

Makes sense when you consider their recruiting success and ability to develop. pic.twitter.com/XtNvGsodx0
— Saturday Gameday (@SaturdayGameday) June 22, 2022
At first it was Florida State, but lately it's been Clemson.

Big Ten

Ohio State has out-recruited the rest of the Big Ten 11 of the past 13 years.

During that timeframe (since 2010), they’ve won the conference 6 times. pic.twitter.com/GyBEoAWZyg
— Saturday Gameday (@SaturdayGameday) June 22, 2022
With rare exception (I mean just twice), the Buckeyes has out-recruited the rest of the Big Ten.

Pac-12

The Mario Cristobal Difference: Exhibit A pic.twitter.com/WYKHQaGsyC
— Saturday Gameday (@SaturdayGameday) June 24, 2022
It was mostly Southern California out West, until Mario Cristobal arrived in Oregon - then it was Oregon.

SEC

The proof you didn’t necessarily need that Nick Saban has recruited unbelievably well at Alabama pic.twitter.com/dKVcKVq91p
— Saturday Gameday (@SaturdayGameday) June 21, 2022
Alabama is the Ohio State of the SEC, only with a little more competition (4x instead of just twice).

Big XII

I don't have a nice twitter graphic for the Big XII, but the top recruiter is pretty simple, as shown here:

Why ACC Football doesn't get respect it deserves (scaccsports.com; JFann)

Why ACC Football doesn't get respect it deserves

by Jfann
Posted: 6/27/2022 8:30:34 AM

Back in 2016 ACC football had a magical year across the board. It was the best football conference in the land.

We asked on the blog could the ACC remain at the top of college football?

The sky was the limit for where ACC could go. Since then the conference has largely face-planted.
Check out how bad the ACC has been against the rest of the Power 5 below over the last 5 years,

Power 5 vs Power 5 in nonconference since 2017
B1G: 55-40 (.579)
SEC: 63-46 (.578)
B12: 40-35 (.533)
P12: 29-37 (.439)
ACC: 36-65 (.356)
— Tom Fornelli (@TomFornelli) June 23, 2022

Sure you can argue there have been bad matchups or that several ACC programs are in transition, but 29 games under .500 is 29 games under .500.
Clemson has won a national title and played for another since 2017. Wake Forest is playing above their weight class, and won 3 bowl games in the last 5 years. They are exempt from any criticism in this discussion.
Everyone else in the ACC?
Nobody is free…

Georgia Tech, Duke, and Syracuse
Your programs are in total disarray and have fallen to the bottom of the ACC. It might be a while before they contribute anything to the ACC other than more losses.

Boston College, Virginia, North Carolina
Boston College, Virginia, and North Carolina are far too good to be down with Georgia Tech, Duke, and Syracuse. Virginia even won a Coastal Division recently. They aren’t bad by any stretch, but can they elevate themselves enough for the rest of the country to notice?

Virginia Tech, Miami, Florida State, Louisville
Come on guys you are supposed to be there with Clemson as the anchors of ACC football and we’ve barely heard from you since 2016. Firing and Hiring coaches left and right, and a lot of mediocre football. Miami touched the sun for a moment in 2017 when they got to #2 in the country a couple of weeks after thrashing a top 5 Notre Dame team.

Other than that there hasn’t been much to speak of from these programs. Which one is going to step up?

Late Kick Blitz: Is Miami primed to win the ACC in 2022? (cbssports.com; podcast; Pate)

In this excerpt from Late Kick Live, Josh Pate responds to a viewer's bold prediction that the Miami Hurricanes will win the ACC championship in Mario Cristobal's first year in Coral Gables.

Other

NACGY3OIBNAJJFYZLKBKWY6EMQ.JPG

Fireworks during Carnival Eats & Rides’ Independence Day celebration in the State Fair Orange Parking Lot, Syracuse, N.Y., Friday July 2, 2021. Scott Schild | sschild@syracuse.com

Fourth of July 2022: A complete guide to fireworks in Central NY (PS; Dellinger)

Summer officially arrived on June 21, bringing warmer temperatures, graduation parties, outdoor activities, barbecues and family fun.

One of the highlights of summer is the fireworks celebrations on the Fourth of July.

Here’s a list of fireworks displays across the region:

Editor’s note:
Did we miss one? Let us know (see form at bottom)

Onondaga County

Baldwinsville:
Dusk, Friday, July 1, Paper Mill Island, 136 Spensieri Ave.

Brewerton/Cicero: 9:30 p.m., Sunday, July 3, Oneida River. Best viewing on Kaphan Road.

Camillus: 9:30 p.m., Saturday, June 25, Veterans Memorial Park at Gillie Lake, Sands Road. Concert at 7:30 p.m., followed by fireworks at dusk.

Clay: 9:15 p.m. Tuesday, June 28, Great Northern Mall, 4155 State Route 31. Food trucks will be on site.

East Syracuse: 9:15 p.m., Saturday, July 9, East Syracuse Elementary School, 230 Kinne St. Live music, food and a kid zone starting at 6 p.m.

Manlius: Dusk, Saturday, July 2, fireworks will be launched from behind Stickley Furniture on Stickley Drive. A parade at the village center precedes the fireworks, followed by entertainment, food trucks and a cornhole tournament.

Syracuse (NBT Bank Stadium): After the baseball game, Friday, July 1, NBT Bank Stadium. See the website for tickets. There will also be fireworks after games on Saturday, July 2 and Sunday, July 3.

New York State Fairgrounds: 9:45 p.m. on Friday, July 1 and Saturday, July 2. Also carnival rides starting at 4 p.m. on July 1 until 10 p.m.; noon to 10 p.m. on July 2 and noon to 8 p.m. on July 3.

Attachments

• 1656419077355.jpeg
    1656419077355.jpeg
    10.7 KB · Views: 60