Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Be-An-Angel-Day.jpg
Welcome to Be an Angel Day!

Angels are thought of as being supernatural spirits or beings that can protect humans. On Be an Angel Day, humans play the role of protector or helper for fellow humans. The day was founded by Reverend Jayne Howard Feldman as a day to do small acts of service for someone and be a blessing in their life. It is a day to selflessly do random acts of kindness and to help others in need.

How to Observe Be an Angel Day

Celebrate the day by doing random acts of kindness and helping others in need without expecting anything in return. You could perhaps help others anonymously, so they really think they are being helped by an angel. There are many things you could do to be like an angel. You could mow someone's lawn, you could pay it forward at a restaurant or coffee shop, you could talk to someone who is sitting alone, you could volunteer at a charity organization, or you could do something else that brightens someone's day.

SU News

Syracuse Recruiting Roundup: Kenneth Woseley, Nnamdi Udeogu, Kobe Baynes - The Juice Online (the juice; Sears)

Hard to believe it, but this is our penultimate recruiting roundup before the start of the 2022 football season! Let’s get right to it as we get closer to the end of summer…

We start with 2024 four-star defensive back Kenneth Woseley from Imhotep (PA) Institute. Ranked 270th in his class and the 37th overall cornerback, he recently trimmed his list of schools down to 12, and the Orange made the cut. The other 11 schools are Pittsburgh, Texas A&M, Penn State, Maryland, Wisconsin, Oregon, Michigan, Georgia, Rutgers, Michigan State, and Cincinnati.

Syracuse continues to recruit in the 2023 class, and recently offered 2023 EDGE Nnamdi Udeogu from Georgetown (MD) Preparatory School. The three-star prospect is ranked the 15th best prospect from Maryland, and holds offers from Rutgers and Vanderbilt, among others.

Louisville offensive lineman Kobe Baynes entered the transfer portal on Tuesday, and schools are beginning to line up for his services, including Syracuse. Baynes was part of the class of 2020, and didn’t appear at all in any games in his freshman year, and saw the field just once in 2021. He was expected to be a reserve right tackle on the two-deep chart for the Cardinals prior to his transfer. Kansas, Illinois, South Florida, Memphis and Bowling Green are among the schools to have offered since he entered the portal.

Syracuse will be hosting several recruits for their season opener against Louisville, and another name that will be on the list is 2023 wide receiver Clay Pender. The Barnwell (SC) High prospect currently holds an offer from Div. II Lane College.

2022 Syracuse Football Preview: Quarterbacks (waer.org; Holzer)

There’s plenty of reason for optimism surrounding the SU quarterback room for the upcoming 2022 football season. Much like last year, the team features an incumbent starter with plenty of game experience, a transfer backup with tons of upside, and a steady stream of players waiting in the wings in case of emergency.

Incumbent Starter: Garrett Shrader - Junior

Head Coach Dino Babers surprised many after naming Garrett Shrader the starter three weeks into the 2021 season. After all, the Orange were 2-1, and the Mississippi State transfer hadn’t started a game at quarterback in two seasons. Those doubts were quickly put to rest as Shrader proved to be the general SU seemed to be lacking the previous few years.

His athletic traits are obvious. The former wideout is listed at 6-foot-4, 230 lbs., and he used all of his big frame to rush for nearly 800 yards and 14 touchdowns last year. He also has a solid arm and exhibits great toughness in the pocket, never more apparent than his 45-yard bomb to Damien Alford to beat Virginia Tech in the waning moments.

However, there’s no doubt the junior has some weaknesses. While the quarterback has only nine career interceptions in 22 games, his biggest flaw is his accuracy. With Mississippi State in 2019, Shrader completed just 57.5% of his passes; however, he was a freshman, and one would figure that’d improve over time... In 2021, that wasn’t the case. His completion rate dipped to 52.6%. In fact, he only has completed at least 60% of his throws once in his nine starts under center.

Overall, it’s fair to expect a leap up in production for the Charlotte native. He possesses the ideal size, speed, and arm talent for a quarterback. If he fixes his accuracy, he might just be the man to lead Syracuse to its first bowl appearance in four years.

Projected Backup: Carlos Del Rio-Wilson - Redshirt Freshman

Similar to Garrett Shrader, Carlos Del Rio-Wilson is a transfer from an SEC school (Florida), and is expected to be the backup quarterback. However, Del Rio-Wilson won’t get the same opportunities Shrader had to win the starting job - at least to begin 2022.

Syracuse Makes Top Six For 2023 DE Nnamdi Udeogu (SI; McAllister)

Class of 2023 Rockville (MD) Georgetown Prep defensive end Nnamdi Udeogu has trimmed his list to six schools and Syracuse made the cut. The other five schools included in his top six were Penn, Vanderbilt, Rutgers, Princeton and Yale. The top six is a combination of power five and Ivy League schools.

"Since playing football the last year of my life, I have been blessed with opportunities on opportunities," Udeogu said in a Twitter post. "I will be focusing on these 6 schools leading up to my commitment!!"

Udeogu could be deciding over the next month and the Orange is looking to get him on campus for a visit before that decision. He has already taken officials to Rutgers and Vanderbilt in June.

The 6-5, 230 pounder is an intriguing prospect. His length is tremendous and he is an exceptional athlete. The potential is through the roof. Udeogu is also an accomplished track and field athlete as a conference champion in the discus as well as shot put. He also was a state champion in the discus.

One on One With Kevon Darton (SI; video; Crawford)

We caught up with Syracuse defensive lineman Kevon Darton, who was recently given a scholarship for the upcoming season, about training camp, his size, the defensive line and more.

Q: What was the experience like being put on scholarship?

Darton: "It was great. It was a great experience. This is my fourth year, going into my fourth year. So I was excited for it. I definitely thought I deserved it, like coach said. It's the same to me, come out here and work hard everyday. Get a little bit better everyday so we can have that 13-0 season. That's always the goal."

Q: How do you have the success that you did going against bigger offensive lineman?

Darton: "I'm just strong, plus I have natural leverage. I don't worry about that stuff because offensive linemen go against 6-4, 6-5 guys. So they're not used to guys like me. It's to my advantage."

Q: What can you and the other guys do to quiet some of the concerns about the defensive line?

Camp Notebook: Week 3 - Syracuse University Athletics (cuse.com)

It's now inside of two weeks until Syracuse hosts Louisville in the JMA Wireless Dome.

Tickets for the entirety of the Orange's much-anticipated home slate are available on Cuse.com/Tickets. Fans can also purchase partial plans, group tickets and individual game tickets as well for the most challenging home schedule in recent memory as five of the seven opponents are receiving votes in the Preseason Coaches Poll, including three top-20 foes.

The third week of training camp came to a close on Saturday with the second of two intra-squad scrimmages. The Orange ran 119 plays in little more than an hour and a half on the Schwartzwalder and Katz practice fields. As 'Cuse Camp draws closer to conclusion, catch up on some of the things you missed this week.

Monday, Aug. 15
The Orange returned to the practice field after one of their NCAA mandated off days on Sunday. The third week of camp kicked off with the squad in shells:

Syracuse Football: Projecting Orange’s overall record during 2022 season (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse football is nearing the start of its 2022 season when the Orange will host Louisville in early September to kick off the upcoming campaign.

Given the team’s 5-7 mark last year and its 1-10 record in 2020, plus question marks in the passing game and elsewhere, it’s understandable that some national and Atlantic Coast Conference pundits are forecasting that the ‘Cuse will finish near or in the basement within its league division in 2022.

However, there are glimmers of optimism out there among some experts who believe that the Orange’s new assistant coaches on offense will help balance out production between the air and on the ground.

As a Syracuse University alumnus and a passionate ‘Cuse sports fan, I know that I probably own some Orange-colored glasses when I discuss SU athletics.

At the same time, I truly do believe that Syracuse football could do something special in 2022, despite the ‘Cuse being projected to face a potentially daunting docket.

Let’s forecast the overall record for Syracuse football this fall.

I recently did a projection of how I think the Orange will fare in its eight ACC contests, predicting a mark there of 4-4. I’ll include those projections below, while making my picks for the team’s four non-conference battles.

September 3 vs. Louisville (6-7 last year)
2022 ACC Projection: No. 4 in Atlantic Division
Syracuse Football Prediction: Win

September 10 at UConn (1-11 last year)

In week two, the Orange heads on the road to play Connecticut. The Huskies, to put it bluntly, were awful in 2021. Maybe they’ll be better in the upcoming stanza.

While you never want to discount the additional challenge of playing on the road, I’m cautiously confident that the ‘Cuse will take care of UConn away from the Hill.
Syracuse Football Prediction: Win

Syracuse Football Club (syracusefootballclub)

"Players Helping Players"

Syracuse Football Alumni Unity Challenge

Calling all Syracuse Football Alumni! - In an effort to unite & inspire the Syracuse Football Alumni community, a former football player has made a $1 million gift commitment to support Syracuse Football through an enhanced Football Operations Center at the future John A. Lally Athletics Complex. As part of his commitment, he is encouraging all former Football Letterwinners to join the Unity Challenge and get involved in the future of the program.

Who’s next? A look at SU football’s 2023 recruiting class (PS; Leiker)

Syracuse football’s 2023 recruiting more than doubled over the summer, as many prospects made official visits to campus.

However, the Orange’s nine commitments are the fewest among ACC programs. The class ranks No. 74 nationally, last in the ACC, and does not include a prospect with a higher rating than three stars, as of publication.

At ACC Kickoff in July, Syracuse coach Dino Babers said it’s not that the school isn’t offering four- and five-star players, but that it can be hard to get them to pledge to the program. He also said he still believes in the power of bringing in players who have room to grow at the collegiate level.

“We’re not afraid to take some guys that we see the potential. We see where we think they can go with support, with a great support system,” Babers said. “Getting bigger, getting stronger, weights, conditioning. I’m one of those guys that still believes that coaching matters.”

Here’s a snapshot of each verbal commit:

QB LaNorris Sellers, South Florence (Florence, South Carolina)

Sellers is the Orange’s top-rated 2023 commit. The three-star flipped his commitment from Virginia to Syracuse in January after former assistants Jason Beck and Robert Anae joined the Orange’s staff. Sellers formed a bond with Beck during his original recruitment to Virginia, and Beck was the one who put him on Syracuse’s radar. Though he missed a large portion of the season with an injury, Sellers had 780 passing yards, 243 rushing yards and 16 combined touchdowns, according to his Hudl page.

DL Rashard Perry, Bennett (Buffalo, New York)

Perry is the No. 5 player in New York and the first in-state player to commit to Syracuse. The three-star defensive lineman is 6-foot-3, 245 pounds and hails from Buffalo. He attends Bennett High School, which made it to the AA state football championship in 2021 and has been a starter on the defensive line since eighth grade.

Louisville football ends 'physical' fall camp; eying opener against Syracuse (2478sports.com; Demling)

The University of Louisville football team is now less than two weeks from the start of the new season.

The Cardinals ended fall camp with a scrimmage on Friday afternoon, had a recovery day on Saturday, and has meetings dealing with academics on Sunday. The team members will start classes tomorrow and have a normal week of practice beginning on Tuesday evening.

U of L coach Scott Satterfield said his team will do a lot of fine-tuning this week before turning its attention to Syracuse. The Cardinals will travel to Syracuse for the first game of the season on Sept. 3 at 8 p.m. on the ACC Network.

"They'll be back on Sunday evening for academic meetings, then we've got school Monday and we'll be back to practice," Satterfield said on Friday. "Two weeks from right now we're going to be getting ready to get on that plane and head Syracuse. Next week we'll do a lot of fine-tuning, trying to hone in on things.

"And then toward the end of the week, it will be all Syracuse. We're at the point now guys have to find their roles and they have to accept those roles, whether it's to play 80 snaps a game or run down on seven kickoffs. We're excited about getting this thing rolling."

The Cardinals opened fall camp on Aug. 3 and Satterfield said he was happy with what he has seen and excited for the season.

"It's been a really good camp, it's been a physical camp," he said. "Guys have really been getting after it, whether you're just in upper shoulder pads and helmet or full, they've been physical practices, particularly O-line and D-line. Great competition.

"We've had some guys that have gotten dinged up, just from bruises here and there that will hold guys out a day or two. But it's been a really good camp."

Syracuse Football’s Most Important Players: #10 Courtney Jackson – Orange Fizz – Daily Syracuse Recruiting News & Team Coverage (orangefizz.net; Bainbridge)

It’s t-minus 13 days until Syracuse football gets its 2022 season started. There’s some buzz around this year’s ‘Cuse squad as it hopes for a bowl, but the Orange will need sizable contributions from their returning players to get to the postseason. Here at the Fizz, we’ve whittled down a list of the Top 10 most important SU players for this upcoming season. Over the next two weeks or so, we’ll release our list one by one.

To get things started, No. 10 is a skill position player whose name didn’t crack the list in 2021: wide receiver Courtney Jackson.

Last year, two wideouts made the Top 10 – Anthony Queeley at No. 7 and Taj Harris at No. 3 – but neither one had a successful season in Orange. Harris hit the transfer portal not even halfway through the season, and Queeley finished up with just 15 catches for the year. In a receiving room that saw its top targets disappoint, it was Jackson who stepped up to give the Orange aerial attack an extra spark. On the ‘21 season, Jackson’s redshirt-freshman campaign ended with 37 catches for 389 yards and three touchdowns. All three of those figures led the team.

WHY SYRACUSE NEEDS HIM

Although Jackson isn’t even an upperclassman, he’s going to be looked at as a leader among the receiving room. DeVaughn Cooper and Anthony Queeley are both older, but neither has produced in the same way that Jackson has. Michigan State transfer C.J. Hayes hasn’t caught a pass at the collegiate level since 2019. Jackson is more of a known quantity than any one of those names.

What's Going on with Syracuse Football Recruiting? (audible.com; podcast; Locked on Syracuse)

Matt Bonaparte and Owen Valentine ask the important questions surrounding SU football recruiting. Ranked 74th in the country, Syracuse continues to let down its fanbase. How do they get better? Who are they recruiting? Can they capitalize on Sean Tucker? It's all on your Monday episode. You can find episodes of the Locked On Syracuse podcast on Apple Podcasts,

(youtube;vdei; ACC Digital Network)

Check out this second episode of a behind-the-scenes look at the NC State University football program leading into the upcoming season. Featuring head coach Dave Doeren, quarterback Devin Leary, linebacker Isaiah Moore, and the entire Wolfpack team!

#10 Clemson DL Bryan Bresee | 2022 ACC Football Top 25 Players (youtube; video; ACC Digital Network)

Clemson defensive lineman Bryan Bresee will be back with a vengeance in 2022 after starting only 4 contests in 2021 due to an injury derailing his season. Despite starting only 4 games, Bresee was still a third-team All-ACC selection. The once highly-touted recruit has flashed dominance on the field when healthy. He has a career 9.5 tackles for loss and 5.5 sacks with a hunger to add loads more.

ACC preview: Will Clemson regain control in QB-strong league? (theathletic.com; $; Staff)

Beyond ditching divisions next year, the Atlantic Coast Conference is the only Power 5 conference with a foreseeable future that isn’t going to change much.

Not unless one of its 14 football members bolts for an SEC or Big Ten super conference after finding an unexpected loophole in the ACC’s grant of rights before it expires in 2036.

So, while conference commissioner Jim Phillips works to bring the ACC more money, the big change we have to look forward to is a conference title game that finally pits the two best ACC teams in Charlotte in December 2023.

The good news for the league in 2022? Even with Pittsburgh’s Kenny Pickett and North Carolina’s Sam Howell gone to the NFL, the league still has a strong collection of talent at the quarterback position, and five teams ranked in the preseason AP Top 25 poll: No. 4 Clemson, No. 13 NC State, No. 16 Miami, No. 17 Pittsburgh and No. 22 Wake Forest.

There are more than enough reasons to tune in to see whether Pitt can defend its first league title without Pickett, Biletnikoff Award-winner Jordan Addison and a new offensive coordinator calling the plays.

Grace Raynor, Manny Navarro, Andy Bitter and Matt Fortuna exchange views below on what’s in store this fall for the ACC.

#7 Louisville QB Malik Cunningham | 2022 ACC Football Top 25 (youtube; video; ACC Digital Network)

Louisville quarterback Malik Cunningham came into his own last year as one of the ACC's most dangerous threats. In 2021, Cunningham turned in a season in which he completed 62.0% of his throws, amassed 3,972 total yards (2,941 Pass/1,031 Rush), and was responsible for 39 scores. Pro Football Focus gave him an offensive rating of 91.5, placing him 7th in all of college football. Louisville head coach Scott Satterfield, linebacker Yasir Abdullah, NC State linebacker Drake Thomas, ACCDN host Wes Bryant and Cunningham himself break down Louisville's coming attraction.

ACC Network Loves What They Saw From Pitt QB Battle (SI; Strackbein)

The ACC Network made their way to Pitt Panthers practice during the week and had plenty of takeaways during their time in the South Side.

Jordan Cornette, EJ Manuel and Eddie Royal set up along the practice field with a front-row seat to watch the 17th-ranked team in the country. Like everyone else, they wanted to see the quarterback competition, which former NFL QB Manuel took plenty from.

The quarterbacks were the highlight of practice, as they've been the entire offseason. For Manual, he saw Kedon Slovis perform well, especially in situational football.

"Both were super accurate. I think the competition is good for both of them because it brings the best out of them," Manual said. "Today, Kedon looked great, especially in situations like the two-minute [drill]. Two plays — a big throw and then a red zone seam that he banged. I found Nick did really well. The good part for both of them is that you have a new offensive coordinator. So neither guy necessarily has a leg up on the other. Nobody necessarily has the time on task with the OC or anything like that. Whoever they do decide it’s going to be, is going to be a fair decision, is what I’m trying to say.”

‎Locked On ACC- Daily College Football & Basketball Podcast: Big Ten Lands Massive TV Deal with CBS, FOX, NBC & More; What Will This Mean for ACC TV Deal at ESPN on Apple Podcasts (apple.com; podcast; Locked on ACC)

The Big Ten signed a nearly $7 or $8 billion dollar TV deal split between some of the major players in college football. What does this new 7 year deal mean for the ACC who is desperately trying to keep its heavy hitters invested in the league? Host @Locked On Seminoles Drizzy Drake joins the show to discuss how Jim Phillips should respond to this breaking news.

Passing the Nat'l Champ Baton (RX; HM)

Passing the Nat'l Champ Baton
I saw this interesting tidbit from the Twitter account of CFB Home:

There has been 13 times the eventual national champion gave the defending national champion their first defeat of the year.

2019 LSU beat Clemson (2018) in Week 15
2018 Clemson beat Alabama (2017) in Week 15
2016 Clemson beat Alabama (2015) in Week 14
2009 Alabama beat Florida (2008) in Week 13
2005 Texas beat USC (2004) in the Rose Bowl
2002 Ohio State beat Miami (2001) in the Fiesta Bowl

Big Ten Could Look To Add Longtime ACC Football Power (thespun.com; Hodies)

Realignment has been one of the biggest storylines in college football each of the last two years.

Texas and Oklahoma announced their plan to move to the SEC in 2025 last year and then USC and UCLA followed that up by announcing their plans to move to the Big Ten in 2024.

College football is potentially going to have two super conferences (SEC, Big Ten) in the next decade, which means schools in the other conferences will be scrambling to get into one of them.

One school that could look to realign is Florida State. FSU President Richard McCullough spoke about it over the weekend and confirmed that he's doing a lot of homework on it.

"It's something I'm spending a lot of time on and we're getting a lot of help. We're trying to do anything we can to think about how we remain competitive. Florida State is expected to win. We're going to be very aggressive," McCullough said.

Rx: Road to a Good 2022 ACC FB Season (RX; HM)

Rx: Road to a Good 2022 ACC FB Season

What would it take for a special 2022 ACC Football season? Start with these 5 steps...

Step 1 - get to Sept 3rd without any losses. There are six ACC non-conference games before Week #1 Saturday, and league teams need to win all of them. Only one is against a power five opponent: West Virginia, which plays at Pitt in the Backyard Brawl on Thursday, Sept. 1st. The two games in Week #0 are both against FCS opponents - those should both be wins (right, Seminoles?). Same for VMI at Wake Forest on Sept. 1st. That leaves the two Friday night games on Sept. 2nd: Temple at Duke and Virginia Tech at Old Dominion. I'm not thrilled about having the Hokies visit Norfolk, but I understand the logic when they're trying to reclaim the 757 area code - they just need to win.
Step 2 - Sweep the OOC games on Sept. 3rd. This should be very do-able. The only real challenges on paper are Rutgers at Boston College and NC State at East Carolina (Louisville at Syracuse is a conference match-up; I'm agnostic about those this early in the season).

TV Networks: B1G vs ACC (RX; HM)

TV Networks: B1G vs ACC

Many people have pointed out the great exposure that the Big Ten will get with their new television contract. B1G Football will be carried by six different tv networks, three of which are broadcast over the air:

Big Ten Television Networks:

Without a doubt, that is the best lineup among all college football conferences. However, it is missing the two very best networks - ABC and ESPN - which the ACC is on:

ACC Television Networks:

Will the B1G get any Bigger? (RX; HM)

Will the B1G get any Bigger?

Will the Big Ten expand some more? I've seen rumors that the media rights contract specifies pro rata increases for up to 4 more teams (i.e. total of 20). This statement seems to harmonize with that:

Bretty McMurphy reports that Kevin Warren said he sees B1G having 20 members & paying players. “Those (paying players) are things we have to resolve. We have to. So I want to be part of this conversation & will be part of this conversation of what we can do to make this better” pic.twitter.com/IHiwg2SxHV
— Sidelines Sports Network™ (@Sidelines_SN) August 19, 2022
In that case, who will it be? That depends, in part, on whether they're holding onto the dream/fantasy of getting Notre Dame football. It seems pretty clear to me that ND will get the kind of TV contract they were looking for from NBC - and if not them, then either CBS or ESPN. Will the Big Ten wait until the Irish sign on the dotted line? Probably - it's just prudent.

What Makes a Brand - Championships (RX; HM)

What Makes a Brand - Championships

What makes a college football program a "brand"?

This was posted on CSNBBS by 'OrangeDude' back in July:
Ranking based on how programs performed in college football championship games.

What follows is a point system where the two participants both got 1 point even if a loss in that game knocked them down to 3, 4, or 5 in the Final AP Poll.

Other

ZCUN7MLQ5JF2JBWKRSVPXJBLCI.JPG

Close up with piglets at the 2021 New York State Fair.Scott Schild | sschild@syracuse.

Fur-loving fairgoers: Here are the animals, exhibits, and shows you need to see at the 2022 NYS Fair (PS; Featherstone)

Fur (and feather)-loving fairgoers can expect to see a wide variety of animals, and animal shows, at the 2022 New York State Fair, which runs from Wednesday, August 24 through Labor Day, Monday, September 5.

For a full list of animal competitions and exhibits, check out the Fair’s website.

Here’s our short list:

Sea Lion Splash Show

Back after a six year hiatus is the family favorite—and free—Sea Lion Splash Show, located in the Family Fun Zone behind the Expo Center near the Talent Showcase. Three weekday shows are slotted for 11:00 a.m., 2:30 and 5:00 pm; on weekends, four shows start at 11:30 a.m., 1:00, 2:30 and 5:00 p.m. The show features performing sea lions, with a little education thrown in. You can even grab a damp selfie with one of the stars at the end of the show.

World of Horses

Watching skilled riders prance around the Coliseum’s ring on beautiful horses might be one of the Fair’s best free shows, but you can get a close-up equine experience at the newly revived World of Horses exhibit, located in the barn along Sioux Avenue near Gate 4, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m daily. World of Horses features a rotating stable of various horse breeds, and offers training and education on everything from how to keep a horse as a pet, competition and training tips, career opportunities, how horses are used in police work, and what happens after a horse’s racing days are over.