Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
images

Welcome to Can Opener Day!

Does it seem odd that there is a day dedicated to the can opener? Well, did you know that there was about a half century between the invention of canned food and the invention of the can opener? Maybe after all those years of people struggling to open cans without one, they thought the can opener needed some recognition. There was some canning of goods in the Netherlands before 1800, but it was not until 1810 when the preservation of food in cans was patented. By the 1820's, food was being canned in Britain, France, and the United States. But, the first can opener was not patented until 1855 in Britain, and 1858 in the United States. Prior to this, phrases such as "Cut round the top near the outer edge with a chisel and hammer" were written on cans. The early can openers were primitive, however, and the first rotating wheel opener was not patented until 1870. This too was problematic, as the can had to be pierced before the opener could be used. In 1925, a second serrated wheel was added by the Star Can Opener Company, which greatly improved the functionality of the opener. This opener was improved in 1931 so that it had pliers-like handles and could hold a can on its own. This two wheeled opener that held the can is the main style that is still in use today. The first electric can openers were patented in the 1930's, but it wasn't until 1956 when a free standing electric opener by Udico became successful.

SU News

Wake1-678x381.jpg

Oct 9, 2021; Syracuse, New York, USA; Syracuse Orange quarterback Garrett Shrader (16) drops back to pass against the Wake Forest Demon Deacons during the first half at the Carrier Dome. Mandatory Credit: Rich Barnes-USA TODAY Sports

Bailey: 2022 Syracuse team could be Babers' most talented team - The Juice Online (the juice; Cheng)

With the start of the Syracuse football season less than two weeks away, we chatted with Stephen Bailey from 247 Sports and CuseNation.com to get his take on the upcoming season on this week’s The Juice on the Cuse Podcast, presented by SNY.tv.

Strictly looking at the roster, there is reason to be optimistic about the upcoming season.

“On paper, this one of the two most talented teams of the Dino Babers era,” Bailey says. “The top 12 guys on this team are really, really good players. They are potentially NFL type players.”

Bailey pointed to depth at the offensive line, linebacker, quarterback and secondary as reasons why the Orange will be more competitive this season. And of course, there is All-American running back Sean Tucker.

“They might be able to survive the natural wear and tear that they’ve had in the past,” Bailey says. “There’s some depth there.”

But while SU will put a better product on the field this season, it may not translate into more wins. Vegas odds put the Orange at 5.5 wins, which is in line with how Syracuse finished the 2021 season (5-7).

That’s because Syracuse plays a four-game stretch from Oct. 15 to Nov. 5 where they play four preseason top 25 teams in NC State, Clemson, Notre Dame and Pitt.

“It’s going to be close (for a bowl game),” Bailey says. “That gauntlet at the end of the season, that’s tough. They need to start 4-1 to really go into that stretch feeling really good. That means you have to win two of three of Virginia, Louisville and Purdue.”

Passing-potential-01.png

'Pass-centric' offense tests secondary, defensive line through training camp (DO.; Alant)

Robert Anae pulled out his reading glasses and situated his headset on top of his head. Jason Beck hung back next to him, yelling play calls and formations at the offensive group walking down to the south end of the turf practice field.

Tony White stood on the other sideline, prepping the defense for the first goal line and short yardage drill on Tuesday. Head coach Dino Babers stood around the 40-yard line overseeing the team with his arms folded behind his back.

Despite a secondary that could be one of the best in the Atlantic Coast Conference with Duce Chestnut and Garrett Williams, Garrett Shrader led a dismantling sequence against them. The first play was a seamless power run to the left side. Shrader calmly handed the ball off to All-American Sean Tucker and watched him bounce outside a block and run in for a touchdown. The next was a run-pass option that Shrader kept. Once he saw a smothered young defensive line, he ducked into a hole untouched.

“It may not be perfect, each tape how we want it,” Shrader said. “But if we’re on the same page, we make it happen, that’s all that matters.”

The final two plays opened up the defense just enough for quick passes at the goal line which led to touchdowns, a byproduct of a more pass-heavy offense. With one more week of training camp left before turning its full focus on Louisville, Syracuse has worked on ironing out nearly every position throughout camp.

Babers expressed his excitement in blending his style of defensive coaching with Anae and Beck, who come from a Virginia program with much more experience in pass-heavy offenses. Tucker called the new offense more “pass-centric” at the first press conference of training camp and one he’s looking forward to as the running back who enjoys operating in the flat. SU has showcased those screens, mesh routes and routes that some defenders haven’t seen from Syracuse’s offense in the past.

Syracuse football: three players chosen to PFF’s top 100 NFL Draft prospects (TNIAAM; Wall)

The pre-season accolades continue for the Syracuse Orange football team. Pro Football Focus released their pre-season Top 100 NFL Draft Board and three Syracuse players were selected.

Corner Garrett Williams was 16th overall and 2nd corner on the list behind Georgia’s Kelee Ringo. Here’s what PFF has to say about the Orange standout

Williams is unfortunately stuck in a scheme that isn’t set up to make his numbers look the best. He’s got a press-man kind of athleticism and ability, yet he ran only 26 snaps of press-man coverage last season. He’s racked up 13 pass breakups in two seasons for the Orange.
Sean Tucker is 54th on the list and the 5th running back on the big board. That’s consistent with where we’ve seen Tucker ranked by most outlets leading into the season. If the Orange are intent on throwing him more passes and he’s improved his pass-blocking then Tucker’s draft stock could rise. Tucker was also named 2nd-team All-American by the AP continuing to add to his list of pre-season accolades.

The final Syracuse player on the list is offensive tackle Matthew Bergeron. The starting left tackle is 95th on this list and is another player who can benefit from a better team performance from the Orange this year.

We’ll keep an eye out throughout the season to see if Mikel Jones can join this group. With the type of schedule Syracuse is playing this year, winning games will help these players and others draw more attention from the NFL.

Garrett Williams, CB, Syracuse | NFL Draft Scouting Report (PFN)

Garrett is actually entering his third year of eligibility...

He broke onto the CFB scene with an eye-opening redshirt freshman campaign. Now, Syracuse CB Garrett Williams is entering his second year of eligibility, and his 2023 NFL Draft scouting report is heavily in the early-round mix. Where does he stand — not only amongst the talented group of cornerbacks but on the 2023 NFL Draft board as a whole?

Garrett Williams NFL draft profile

By now, many schools have the recruiting process down to a science. But there’s such a saturation of talent at the high school level that stalwart prospects can fall through the cracks. For many underrated players, all it takes is an opportunity at the collegiate level to prove themselves. At least, that’s all Williams needed.

Williams didn’t come with a lot of fanfare as a recruit. He was a three-star from North Carolina who — despite having tremendous ball production on his résumé — didn’t even crack the top 100 at his position on ESPN’s board. Williams’ biggest offers came from schools like Maryland, West Virginia, and Coastal Carolina. But soon enough, he made plenty of Power Five programs pay for overlooking him with the Syracuse Orange.

Williams was primarily a special-teams contributor in 2019 and redshirted that year. But in 2020, he found his way into a full-time starting role and blossomed when given the chance to shine. Over a full slate of games, Williams racked up 64 tackles, three tackles for loss, a sack, two interceptions, and nine pass deflections.

The Syracuse CB earned Freshman All-American honors in 2020 and followed that campaign up with another respectable showing in 2021. He doubled his deflection output with another nine and took home All-ACC recognition for the second straight season. 2022 is the stage of Williams’ latest challenge. Can he turn collegiate production into a professional career?

Chris Elmore Leading Syracuse Into Important Season Opener (SI; McAllister & Crawford)

Syracuse football kicks off the 2022 season in less than two weeks when the Louisville Cardinals come to the JMA Wireless Dome. The veterans on the team, including do it all tight end/fullback Chris Elmore, know just how important that opener is as the Orange transitions from training camp to game prep.

"I feel like everybody has a good understanding of what's at stake with this Louisville game," Elmore said. "Hearing it from guys like me, Mikel, a lot of guys who have been here years and have played against Louisville. They know what's at stake in this game. They know how big of a game it is for us."

Syracuse has several younger or inexperienced players that will be expected to be major contributors. Elmore is doing his part to get them ready.

"Just the experience that I have," Elmore said. "The experience I have on and off the field. Around the community, in school in the classroom, just the level of competition I've played playing six years. Like you said, not too many guys have done that. A lot of guys come and be around me just off the positions I've played. From tight end to o-line, d-line, things like that. Even the d-line comes and learns things from me, like 'hey what can I do better to defeat this block' and things like that. Talent sees talent and that's what I like in a lot of young guys. They get experience from me."

Syracuse Football Will Be Bowling this Season – Orange Fizz – Daily Syracuse Recruiting News & Team Coverage (orangefizz.net; Eads)

Folks we are just days away from Syracuse Football’s 2022 season opener against Louisville in the Loud House. Before the season begins, obviously the final crystal balls must be lodged and that’s what we are attacking today. Previously, one Fizzer released his opinion on how the upcoming season would play out for SU. With some recent details being released surrounding one particular ACC program, let’s update that projection today.

WEEK 1 VS LOUISVILLE, L (80% CONFIDENCE)

This matchup has all the makings of a win for Syracuse. Dome opener, probably a sold out crowd, chance to get the season started off with a HUGE ACC win. Right now it’s see it to believe mode though. Louisville has derailed SU under Scott Satterfield since 2019. Here are the recent scorelines: 56-34, 30-0, and 41-3. One thing is clear, UL can score points thanks to Malik Cunningham, and SU can’t tally enough.

There’s no way the ‘Cuse offense is clicking on the cylinders needed to keep pace in a shootout in week one. The Cardinals have a three-headed monster at running back which will eat up the SU front six. There may be some question marks at wide receiver but there’s a lot of talent and there’s also an all-conference tight end still in Marshon Ford. Oh, plus four of the five offensive linemen are back from last year’s team.

The Louisville defense isn’t the greatest and has talent sprinkled throughout but it doesn’t matter. UL will win this game with its offense, Syracuse won’t be able to keep pace.

WEEK 2 @ UCONN, W (100% CONFIDENCE)

It’s UCONN.

WEEK 3 VS PURDUE, L (65% CONFIDENCE)

Kind of like Louisville, this is another contest in which Syracuse could win but it’s just not the smart prediction. Again, it all comes down to offense and at the end of the day, whoever scores more points wins right? The Boilermakers return one of the best quarterbacks in the Big Ten in Aidan O’Connell. The signal caller has a solid offensive line in front of him along with one of the best tight ends in the Midwest in Payne Durham. Additionally, this Purdue defense is just down right nasty.

The defensive line brings back four very experienced players. Behind them are a pair of linebackers who can make plays at every level and in every facet of the game. In the secondary, the safety tandem could be one of the best in the Big Ten west division. Finally, the Boilermakers brought in an electric playmaker in Iowa transfer Charlie Jones who is a dangerous receiver and returner.

The question marks for Purdue surround their run game which isn’t great and having to replace some prolific receivers in David Bell and Milton Wright. The sentiment around the skill position players is that it’s plug and play because Jeff Brohm, the Boilermakers head coach, is one of the most gifted offensive minds in the country. Could Syracuse win this game, yes. Are we going to predict that to happen? No.

WEEK 4 VS VIRGINIA, W (60% CONFIDENCE)

This is going to be a fun one. A Friday night battle, inside the Dome with some revenge on the line. In one corner, an All-ACC quarterback who saw his coach and coordinator hit the exits. In the other corner, those same coaches that walked through the turn styles and opted for a new location. It’s Brennan Armstrong and the Cavs against Robert Anae, Jason Beck, and the Orange.

What will this game boil down to? You guessed it, offense. Armstrong passed for just under 4,500 yards last year and he has two of his top targets back. Additionally, Keytaon Thompson is back at his “football player” position and will be a matchup nightmare for the Orange defense. The versatile playmakers recorded about 250 rush yards in 2021 and reeled in 78 passes for 990 yards.

The backup QB competition looks like it’s over (depth chart projection) (PS; $; Leiker)

Syracuse football’s backup quarterback competition didn’t turn out to be much of a dogfight.

From the first day of fall camp, Florida transfer QB Carlos Del Rio-Wilson was the one taking snaps behind starting quarterback Garrett Shrader in the drills that mattered most. Rio-Wilson came in after Shrader for reps at the goal line. Rio-Wilson then led the second-team offense during 11-on-11 periods that media was able to view.

While coach Dino Babers had said other guys were getting second-string reps during parts of practice not open to media, it hasn’t felt like a coincidence Del Rio-Wilson is the only one getting that time in front of the cameras.

And earlier this week, Michigan-transfer Dan Villari was practicing at another position for a potential role on special teams.

Ultimately, the Orange is still gearing its offense toward Shrader. Del Rio-Wilson will likely only see the field out of necessity, and maybe once or twice if SU feels it has a solid lead over its opponent.

30 Minutes In Orange Nation 8-23 (ESPN; radio; Orange Nation)

Steve and Paulie start the show looking ahead to the Syracuse football season and reacting to some sound from Coach Babers regarding position battles and more. Then 247Sports’ Stephen Bailey joins the show to break down the final days of open practice. Later, Paulie wants YOU to help us land a big time guest.

(youtube; podcast; Locked on Syracuse)

Matt Bonaparte and Owen Valentine give you a flurry of topics on your Tuesday episode. Is Sean Tucker a top 15 player in college football? Who are the new names in football and Syracuse basketball? All that and more on today's episode.

http://allsportsdiscussion.com/2022/08/23/best-and-worst-case-record-for-syracuse-football-in-2022/ (ASD; Fann)

LOL. Not saying they are likely to do it, but this team could easily win 8 or 9 games.

Best and Worst case record for Syracuse football in 2022

Syracuse

Syracuse’s magical 2018 top 15 10-3 season is starting to seem like a lifetime ago. In the three years since Syracuse has won 11 games and won just 5 ACC games. Now into year seven of his tenure, Dino Babers is starting to feel some heat. The ACC Atlantic is quietly one of the best divisions in college football, and Syracuse has fallen way behind. We just aren’t talking about falling behind Clemson either. The good news for Babers is he returns the ACC’s best RB in Sean Tucker. That’s a good piece to build around.
Will Go 7-5 (4-4) if:
Syracuse can get off to a fast start. The early part of the schedule is manageable. Syracuse opens the season with Louisville, at Connecticut, Purdue, Virginia, and Wagner. If QB Garrett Shrader and the passing game improve, Syracuse could find itself 4-1 or 5-0 with NC State coming to Syracuse. The defense should be pretty good, and with Sean Tucker, Syracuse may be able to ball control and defense themselves to a good start. Then try to steal one in the stretch of NC State, at Clemson, Notre Dame, and at Pittsburgh and split the season enders at Wake Forest and Boston College. Do that and Syracuse could find itself bowling. Dino Babers is still a pretty good coach, but starting the season quickly is a must.
Will Go 3-9 (1-7) if:
QB Garrett Shrader struggles. Sean Tucker is great, but if Syracuse is too one-dimensional it will catch up with them. They get Louisville, Purdue, and Virginia at home early, but all three could be losses. Then they could be underdogs in every game after those. The OL and DL weren’t especially good last year, and in the trenches, Syracuse could lose a lot battles. When you lose in the trenches you are going to lose a lot of games. Other than Connecticut and Wagner, Syracuse can’t assume another win on their schedule. A losing season might signal the end of the Dino Babers era.

Syracuse Football: An early preview of the Orange’s games in November (itlh; Fiello)

Finishing up my series on a breakdown of three months of Syracuse football, I’ve previewed September and October already and finally, it’s the final 1/3 of the schedule as they wrap up the 2022 season in November (minus a bowl game).

If you’ve read them, you know how optimistic I am about this team this season. I truly believe if everyone stays healthy, this can be a special team. Running back Sean Tucker is a once-in-a-generation type skill player with no limitations on his potential. Andre Szmyt with a seasoned special teams coach could be that clutch guy who wins some close games. Garrett Williams and Duce Chesnut (along with other names you might not know as well) are out to prove SU is Secondary University.

The receiving corp is young and hungry looking to prove they can be productive and make Garrett Shrader even better (and I think with Beck and Anae helping, Shrader will show Orange fans reasons to be optimistic). And Mikel Jones is a team leader who also leads on the field and with Wax and Thompson beside him will make some noise this season.

So if you think you know where I’m going, you might be surprised to see how I finish this season. I will only say this, these are my actual predictions as of the middle of August and how I truly feel if I’m looking at the schedule. I’ve never written anything I didn’t honestly feel on this site and I never will.

With that said, I present the November portion of the Syracuse football schedule with a quick breakdown and predictions.

Syracuse Orange at Pittsburgh Panthers
Saturday, November 5th at Heinz Field in Pittsburgh. PA
Time & TV TBD Radio-TK99

Pittsburgh is coming off the heels of an ACC championship season. The expectations will be high and they seem to have their program doing some great things. But also this is a team that lost Kenny Pickett, a Heisman contender at QB, to the NFL and their top receiver Jordan Addison to USC in the transfer portal. Can they rebound though with Jared Wayne still there at receiver and Narduzzi and the staff taking former USC QB Kedon Slovis to help bolster the QB position? Definitely some uncertainty here but I think Pitt can be a high-level bowl team still if key players stay healthy.

Prediction: Syracuse 27 – Pittsburgh 20

Why Syracuse football will finish 4-8 in 2022 (TNIAAM; De Guzman)

Ed. Note — As has become tradition, TNIAAM writers will tell you all week why and how this year’s Syracuse Orange football team will finish with certain W-L records. These projections will be more pleasing as we go along and we will all give our actual predictions for the season next week.
  • Monday: 3-9 (Kevin)
  • Tuesday: 4-8 (Christian)
  • Wednesday: 5-7 (Mike)
  • Thursday: 6-6 (Steve)
  • Friday: 7-5 (Andy)
  • Saturday 8-4 (Special Guest)
Sometimes these record projections hold funny and witty scenarios. Other times they’re more in tune with reality.

Unfortunately, readers of this site might remember me as the pessimist. And the more I look at it, this 4-8 record is pretty close to how I actually think the season will pan out.

Let’s go step-by-step to see why Syracuse goes 4-8 this upcoming season.

Louisville Cardinals - Loss (0-1, 0-1)

Like Kevin said yesterday, fans should be excited since the new Syracuse offense appears to be promising. However, Malik Cunningham shows why he’s particularly good at the game of football.

at UConn Huskies - Win (1-1, 0-1)

Jim Mora wishes he was still with UCLA as he’d at least get to smell some of the Big 10 money coming in.

Purdue Boilermakers - Loss (1-2, 0-1)

A bad regression to the mean appears as Garrett Shrader realizes that an average Big 10 defense is too much to overcome.

Virginia Cavaliers - Win (2-2, 1-1)

As good as Brennan Armstrong is, Syracuse’s secondary steps up to the task to mitigate some of his passing. With experience against Purdue’s defense, facing Virginia’s defense is like taking weights off and Shrader is more comfortable. Sean Tucker starts to make his Heisman push.

Wagner Seahawks - Win (3-2, 1-1)

The second-string offense and defense plays the entirety of the second-half as the fans start to smell a bowl.

NC State Wolfpack - Loss (3-3, 1-2)

A reverse of the Virginia game, which was an offensive shootout. This turns into a defensive battle but too many short Syracuse offensive drives leaves the defense tired in the fourth quarter.

Syracuse TE commit David Clement, ‘one of the best players’ in NY, will miss season with injury (PS; Leiker)

One of the first players to commit to Syracuse football’s 2023 class will miss the entirety of his senior season.

David Clement, a three-star from Christian Brothers Academy in Albany, injured his knee during team camp this preseason. The Albany Times-Union first reported the news Sunday.

“He’s the best player in the section and one of the best in the state,” coach Bobby Burns told the Times-Union. “He is not replaceable. We have a lot of kids that have worked hard and a few more are going to have to go both ways for us.”

The 247 Sports Composite lists Clement as the No. 7 player in the state and No. 59 tight end in the nation.

Clement received his offer from the Orange in March while making an unofficial visit with the program. He committed on March 25 and was the second player to join the class. Quarterback LaNorris Sellers out of South Carolina announced his commitment a few weeks prior on March 6.

Recruited as a tight end by SU offensive coordinator Robert Anae, Clement also plays defensive end. He’s 6-foot-7, 265 pounds and was an honorable mention in Class AA Section II last season.

Other than football, Clement also plays basketball at CBA.

Axe: Whether you believe in Babers or not, SU football fans need to see results (PS; $; Axe)

The reasons to believe this will be the year Dino Babers gets Syracuse football back on track and the reasons not to believe are a dead heat.

No matter what you believe, the results at the end of the season will paint a clear picture about the direction of the program.

His Syracuse University football team returns 17 starters in 2022, the most in the ACC.

The Orange has NFL-level talent on both sides of the ball at running back (Sean Tucker), offensive tackle (Matthew Bergeron), linebacker (Mikel Jones) cornerback (Garrett Williams, Duce Chestnut) and kicker (Andre Szmyt).

Eli Manning, Tom Coughlin chat Syracuse football’s No. 44 on new episode of ‘Eli’s Places’ (PS; Leiker)

Standing outside the Lubin House on Syracuse University’s New York City campus, Eli Manning jokes that the only No. 44s he knows are Hank Aaron, Reggie Jackson and the chemical element ruthenium.

It’s a bit blasphemous considering the school he’s at and who he’s talking to — his former New York Giants coach, Tom Coughlin.

Coughlin is a Central New York native. He grew up watching Syracuse football running backs Jim Brown and Ernie Davis, and he played alongside Floyd Little at SU from 1965-67. The three running backs popularized and made legend the No. 44 for the Orange.

“Everyone is aware of the tradition of 44,” Manning goes on to say in a voice over. “And everybody that comes on campus, if they weren’t aware of it, are soon taught exactly what that means.”

#4 Syracuse RB Sean Tucker | 2022 ACC Football Top 25 Players (youtube; video; ACC Digital Network)

Running back Sean Tucker sets the table for the Syracuse offense. He is the focal point of every opponent's game plan and is still an unstoppable force. The 2021 First-Team All-ACC selection rushed for a whopping 1,496 yards, which led the ACC. Tucker also reached the end zone 14 times rushing and receiving. He also leads all returning FBS runners in yards after contact (1,014) entering the 2022 season. Syracuse head coach Dino Babers, offensive lineman Matthew Bergeron, quarterback Garrett Shrader, NC State linebacker Isaiah Moore and ACCDN host Wes Bryant tell you all about the rocket in the 'Cuse backfield.

Miami? Louisville? Who is the BIGGEST sleeper team in the ACC? | College Football Live (youtube; video; CFB Live)

Greg McElroy and Joey Galloway join College Football Live to talk about why they believe the Louisville Cardinals and Miami Hurricanes are the biggest sleeper teams to watch in the ACC.

Does the ACC have the best QBs in the country right now? | CFB Live (youtube; video; CFB Live)

The CFB Live crew discusses the ACC's QBs and if they are the best in the country right now.

ACC Football Will Be Undefeated After Week 0; North Carolina, Florida State, Duke Football Talk (youtube.com; podcast; Locked on the ACC)

Week 0 is here and North Carolina & Florida State are ready to pick up big wins to start the season. @Locked On Blue Devils Host JJ Jackson stops by to talk Drake Maye, Jordan Moore & Riley Leonard. Cooper & Jackson discuss what they want to see from Mike Norvell and the Seminoles against Duquesne.

Games with 2+ Million Viewers (RX; HM)

Games with 2+ Million Viewers

David Teel posted an article on Richmond.com titled "TV Ratings Database Shows Value of Top ACC Football Brands". I'd like to discuss a few points from the article by presenting it to you in table form:

Team#gamesBar chartPercent
Clemson33ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo44.6%
Florida State29ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo39.2%
Miami15ooooooooooooooo20.3%
Virginia Tech12oooooooooooo16.2%
N.C. State10oooooooooo13.5%
Syracuse9ooooooooo12.2%
Louisville7ooooooo9.5%
North Carolina6oooooo8.1%
Georgia Tech6oooooo8.1%
Virginia5ooooo6.8%
Pitt5ooooo6.8%
Wake Forest5ooooo6.8%
Boston College4oooo5.4%
Duke1o1.4%
Maryland*1o1.4%

* Maryland is no longer with us; may their football program rest in peace.
In the OP, Mr. Teel writes:

From 2013, the league’s first with 14 football members, through last year**, 74 conference games drew TV audiences of at least 2.0 million.

Obviously, there are two ACC teams in each conference game, so it's not 100% accurate to credit each team with the viewers when it might have been the other team that drew the fans. That said, when we look at this much data, the cream rises to the top.

From the above table, we can see that 80% of the 2+ million viewer games involved at least one of the top 8 teams: Clemson, Florida State, Miami, Virginia Tech, NC State, Syracuse, Louisville, and North Carolina.

Untangling the Raycom Deal (RX; HM)

Untangling the Raycom Deal

For those of you who still think of John Swofford as "The Ninja", here's a piece of his legacy that still sticks in the craw of many ACC fans: the Raycom side deal.

Untangling the leftover threads of the ACC’s 2010 TV deal with Raycom has been one of new commissioner Jim Phillips’ trickier tasks.

“It’s a one-sided deal. I can’t yell at them,” Phillips said. “They signed the deal. They got the deal. Congratulations.”https://t.co/KsfFfuiowJ
— Luke DeCock (@LukeDeCock) August 22, 2022
Luke DeCock, in his article in the News and Observer, quoted new ACC Commissioner Jim Phillips with the above statement. However, there is some good news in his post:

...the leftover threads of that deal with Raycom... will eventually come off the books in 2027 — at which point each ACC school will get an immediate bump of about $3 million more per year from the ACC.

So, at least they have that going for them.
Why do they have to wait until 2027, you ask? The OP answers that, too:

Other rights still held by Raycom included a package of one football game and two men’s basketball games a week as well as the women’s basketball and baseball tournament games. Raycom had resold those to Fox and other RSNs in a deal so profitable that it proved prohibitively expensive for ESPN to reacquire the rights in 2016. The additional football and basketball inventory doesn’t offer enough additional value to justify the cost to reacquire it.

2022 Big Brother / Little Brother (RX; HM)

Army might have 1 or 2 players on their team who could start for Syracuse...

2022 Big Brother / Little Brother

Big Game Boomer may have lost his mind this time. Or, at least, a few head-scratchers...

Big Brother & Little Brother For The 2022 Season pic.twitter.com/W2YB07hvvy
— Big Game Boomer (@BigGameBoomer) August 22, 2022

Here's a breakdown of the ACC-related big/little brother pairings, with my comments...

Florida - Big Bro: Miami; Little Bro: Florida State
Admittedly the Hurricanes are on a roll in the off-season and had a better record last year... but the Seminoles won the head-to-head matchup. Scoreboard?
Georgia - Big Bro: Georgia; Little Bro: Georgia Tech
Yeah, it's hard to argue against this for 2022 at least.
Indiana - Big Bro: Purdue; Little Bro: Notre Dame
What? How? Why? The Irish had the better record last year and, in my opinion, the better team this year as well.
Kentucky - Big Bro: Kentucky; Little Bro: Louisville
Sorry, Cardinals, but until proven otherwise, the Kittens are on top in the Bluegrass State.
Massachusetts - Big Bro: Boston College; Little Bro: UMass
True, and it's not even close.
New York - Big Bro: Army; Little Bro: Syracuse
Another "until proven otherwise". Hey, Orange - beat Purdue and change our minds!

Links, News and Rumors: 2022 AUG 24 (RX; HM)

Links, News and Rumors: 2022 AUG 24

Trivia Question (from ACC PM):

In the last 3 years, the ACC is 15-51 vs. Power Five non-conference opponents. Only 3 ACC teams have more than one win vs. P5 OOC. Clemson is one of them; who are the other two? (answer below).

The Boston College Eagles have added the Rhode Island Rams to their 2027 football schedule... Boston College will host Rhode Island at Alumni Stadium in Chestnut Hill, Mass., on Saturday, Sept. 25, 2027. The Eagles will pay the Rams a $400,000 guarantee for playing the game, according to the copy of the contract.

You know my rule of thumb by now: if you're going to play a cupcake, make it local. I like this.

4 bold predictions for Clemson football entering the 2022 season (greenvilleonline.com; Keepfer)

for gbo

Here’s a prediction for Clemson football’s 2022 season: The Tigers will post a 12th consecutive season with 10 or more victories.

Ho-hum. What else is new?

Clemson’s level of success has reached the point where a 10-win season is more a foregone conclusion than a bold prediction.

Coach Dabo Swinney’s team, which will kick off its 2022 schedule at Georgia Tech on Labor Day Night, is intent on rebounding following last season’s “sub-par” 10-3 record.

The Tigers, who are ranked No. 4 in both the USA TODAY Sports AFCA Coaches Poll and the AP preseason poll, are picked to win the ACC Championship. Such might be old hat for Clemson, which has won six of the past seven ACC titles, but here are four season predictions of a considerably bolder variety:

Clemson extends home winning streak to 41

Clemson enters the 2022 season owning the nation’s longest home winning streak at 34, and that run of success will continue.

The biggest threats to the Tigers’ streak could come on Oct. 1 against N.C. State and on Nov. 19 against Miami, both of whom are preseason Top 25 opponents.

Clemson hasn’t lost at Memorial Stadium, aka Death Valley, since falling 43-42 to Pitt on Nov. 12, 2016.

The Tigers are 53-1 at home since 2014 for a .982 winning percentage – the best figure in the country and topping Alabama’s 52-2 home record during that time span.

Tigers return to College Football Playoff

College football analyst picks Miami to win ACC, says Canes are building an 'SEC-like' program - Saturday Road (saturdayroad.com; Daly)

CBS Sports college football expert Dennis Dodd is picking Miami to win the ACC in 2022.

With a new coaching staff in charge at Miami, many experts believe the Hurricanes can compete with the best teams in the ACC as soon as this season. This will be head coach Mario Cristobal’s first season at Miami.

Cristobal was hired to fix a program that stalled under Mark Richt and Manny Diaz. In 2021, Miami began the season with a 2-4 record. Diaz managed to guide the Hurricanes to 5 wins in the final 6 games of the season. The strong end to the season was not enough for Diaz to hold on to his job.

Miami replaced Diaz with Cristobal in December and looked ahead to the 2022 season. Dodd saw what Cristobal did at Oregon and believed he will be able to do the same at Miami.

“This is the Canes’ time — Miami will win the ACC. Cristobal has become the East Coast version of Lincoln Riley in flipping the roster. A bunch of transfers and an already talented roster maturing at the right time make it so. Tyler Van Dyke is a budding star at quarterback. Cristobal is building an SEC-like program in South Florida, just like he did at Oregon.”

Cristobal led Oregon to back-to-back Pac-12 Championships in 2019 and 2020. If Dodd’s prediction comes true, Cristobal would capture his 3rd conference championship in the last 4 seasons.

Miami opens the season with Bethune-Cookman on Sept. 3.

Florida State could be next in college football realignment trend (SI; Parks)

College football realignment is in the air again this offseason, and now it appears Florida State is the one looking for a new conference.

School president Richard McCullough recently met with the Tallahassee Chamber of Commerce and let it be known that Florida State is ready for anything.

College football expansion: Florida State next?

What he said: "It's something I'm spending a lot of time on and we're getting a lot of help. We're trying to do anything we can to think about how we remain competitive. Florida State is expected to win. We're going to be very aggressive," McCullough said.

This isn't the first time Florida State has been mentioned with regard to expansion, as FSU site Nole Gameday reported in July that two leagues have already discussed membership with Florida State officials.

Big Ten and SEC on the table: "The Seminoles have had discussions with the SEC and Big Ten since last summer. Both conferences have displayed an interest in adding the university to their group of current members, along with other schools in the ACC," according to Nole Gameday.

Florida State joined the ACC ahead of the 1992 football season and immediately dominated, finishing in the top 10 rankings for nine straight years through 2000 and winning two national championships.

Leaving the ACC is hard, though: Current league members are locked into a grant of rights agreement that doesn't expire until 2036.

That means if a school wants to leave the ACC before then, it would have to fork over a major exit fee, reportedly around $100 million. That could leave the conference intact for the next decade-plus.

Podcast – @Hokiesmash_ASD and @TalkinACCSports preview 2022 ACC football with @TerryPJohnson. (ASD; podcast; ASD team)

@Hokiesmash_ASD and I (@TalkinACCSports ) have a special guest tonight to preview the ACC football season @TerryPJohnson. Terry has been a contributor to several college football sites, including our site here.

We were happy to have Terry join us!

Other

AXZURW4BWZE6DGDXBE3ZJEHH7A.JPG

Crowds started to fill the streets during day 9 of New York State Fair, Syracuse, N.Y., Saturday Aug. 28, 2021. Scott Schild | sschild@syracuse.com Scott Schild | sschild@syracuse.com

The 2022 NY State Fair opens today. Here are answers to all your questions before you go (PS; Baker)

The New York State Fair kicks off its 13-day run today, with gates opening at 9 a.m.

The weather looks picturesque for day one, with a forecasted high of 84 degrees and lots of sun.

If you’re planning to attend the fair, here are some answers to popular questions about the logistics and the entertainment.

Tickets: All tickets are $3 this year. Seniors and kids enter for free.

How to get $3 tickets and ride tickets for 2022 New York State Fair: No cash at the gate again

When are the special days and free admission days at the 2022 New York State Fair?

NY State Fair ride-all-day wristbands go on sale

Getting there: Drive, share a ride, or take the bus or train. Parking is $5 and you can’t pay cash.

How to get to the 2022 New York State Fair: Maps, info for parking, Ubers, trains, buses, more

I-690 speed limit will drop to 55 mph during New York State Fair, but there’s no more red light

Centro cuts price of NY State Fair shuttle service

Inside the gates: There are some new rules to know about this year.

Are there any Covid restrictions at the 2022 New York State Fair?

Smoking at the New York State Fair: New restrictions are in the wind this year

Things to do: Learn about the animals, music, food and more.

Fur-loving fairgoers: Here are the animals, exhibits, and shows you need to see at the 2022 NYS Fair

NYS Fair music guide: 9 concerts that will have big crowds (and 7 that should)

What deep-fried goodies can we expect at the 2022 NY State Fair?

Last edited:
Reactions: gbo
In order to become bowl-eligible in 2022, I think Syracuse must win all the games where they're favored and get one upset. We need that upset to be out of conference; we need the Orange to beat Purdue. It's just that simple.