Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Welcome to National Milk Day!

Not to be confused with World Milk Day on June 1, National Milk Day falls on January 11 to observe the very first time milk was delivered to homes inside sterilized glass bottles. It took until 1878 before anybody thought to fill bottles with milk and seal them with waxed paper. Before that, conditions for storing milk (let alone delivering it) were unsanitary at best and downright hazardous at worst.

SU News

YZW32JPDN5CLTG4ZZPJGOPJCTQ.jpg

Syracuse running back Sean Tucker (34) waves to the SU crowd after a touchdown in the first half against Clemson. Tucker is one of several Orange players hoping to be selected in the 2023 NFL Draft. Dennis Nett | dnett@syracuse.com

2023 NFL Draft Q&A: What draft expert thinks of Syracuse’s prospects (PS; $; Leiker)

Syracuse football looks poised to have its biggest NFL Draft class since 2013.

Following Doug Marrone’s final season, which concluded with a last-second win in the Pinstripe Bowl, three Orange players were drafted: offensive tackle Justin Pugh (Rd. 1, No. 19) by the New York Giants, quarterback Ryan Nassib (Rd. 4, No. 110) by New York and defensive back Shamarko Thomas (Rd. 4, No. 111) by the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Several more signed with teams after the draft’s conclusion.

Syracuse has seven players declared for the 2023 NFL Draft, with three — cornerback Garrett Williams, offensive lineman Matthew Bergeron and running back Sean Tucker — having appeared on various big boards and top positional lists throughout the season.

Syracuse.com chatted with Dane Brugler, an NFL Draft writer for The Athletic, about a handful of SU’s prospects. The interview was conducted via email on Dec. 22, prior to more SU players declaring for the draft.

Here is the conversation in full.

Q: You left SU cornerback Garrett Williams off your midseason Top 50 because of his ACL tear. How much of a negative affect will that injury have on his draft standing considering it’s a fairly common one in football?

As long as the surgery and rehab goes well, Williams shouldn’t fall too far on draft day. The medical evaluations at the Scouting Combine will be the most important step. That is where NFL teams can have their doctors and trainers assess the injury and better understand if there are any long-term concerns. Obviously, that is part of the evaluation that is tough for us on the outside to fully understand. But as long as the injury heals well, Williams still has a decent chance of landing in the top-100 picks.

Syracuse football 2023 schedule: Early look at the Orange’s opponents (PS; $; Leiker)

With the 2022 college football season officially over, the ACC officially lays to rest the Atlantic and Coastal divisions.

The conference will start play under the 3-5-5 scheduling model in 2023. It’s set up for schools to face three programs every year, and the other 10 programs twice every four years.

Syracuse football’s annual opponents are Boston College, Pittsburgh and Florida State.

Tentative dates are set for the Orange’s four nonconference games (Sept. 2 vs. Colgate, Sept. 9 vs. Western Michigan, Sept. 16 at Purdue and Sept. 23 vs. Army) but are subject to change. The full 2023 schedule will be released by the ACC on Jan. 30.

In the meantime, here’s an early look at SU’s 12 regular-season opponents for 2023.

Colgate (Home)

The Raiders are Syracuse’s token FCS opponent for the 2022 season. Colgate finished 3-8 this season with no wins over FBS schools, but had an average point differential less than two touchdowns. The Raiders defense grabbed nine picks, including one against Stanford. They also have a young, dual-threat QB who put up 751 yards on the ground and over 1,600 yards passing.

Western Michigan (Home)

Western Michigan will be the first of a handful of schools Syracuse faces with new head coaches, coordinators or players at key positions like QB. The Broncos hired Lance Taylor in early December. Taylor will be a somewhat familiar foe for the Orange to game plan against after serving as Louisville’s offensive coordinator in 2022 and Notre Dame’s running backs coach and run game coordinator from 2019-21.

Syracuse Football: 10 ideas to enhance the Syracuse football experience (itlh; Fiello)

I love Syracuse University and my Orange teams, with Syracuse football being my first love overall. That 1987 team made me a fan for life and meeting Coach Dino Babers, who was amazing in person, solidified it for me.

But what about other Orange fans? What are things that might improve their experience or make things more fun while possibly getting more attention on the program? What could make it more personal or appealing? What could make it an event you want to be a part of?

Below are 10 items (IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER) that I think could cover all of the above, which might even in some cases be more appealing to even future recruits or attracting pregame shows. Some might not be appealing at first but I think would be long-term distinctive and original. So without further ado, here are my 10 ideas.

Here’s how to enhance the Syracuse football experience.

10: Move the Syracuse Block Party or Juice Jam to coincide with football game(s). Put a concert on the quad or Skytop or possibly the Dome pregame if it won’t impact the field conditions. Bring in a recognizable performer that people will want to see and stick around for the game as well. Maybe even mix up newer and older performers to appeal to a more diverse audience.

9: Incorporate chants like soccer or wrestling use. Make it more interactive for fans to participate or to celebrate a big play. The Mob on defense could be a fun start for one and/or maybe like a “Shrader’s gonna shred ya” chant or “Don’t squint…touchdown LeQuint”. Watching Ted Lasso has made me appreciate it more and with Cotton Eyed Joe dancing gone, we should add something different and fun.

On The Block On Demand 1-10-23 (ESPN; radio; Axe)

Brent Axe discusses where Syracuse stands in the College football national landscape and recap’s Georgia’s big win.

DYEKXLGRHVFHVEDZPK6DLMVCVY.jpg

Syracuse wide receiver Damien Alford (82) catches a pass during SU's game against Wake Forest on Nov. 19. Alford is the latest Orange player to hit the transfer portal. N. Scott Trimble | strimble@syracuse.com

Damien Alford is Syracuse’s fourth wide receiver to hit transfer portal (PS; Leiker)

Syracuse football has hit double digit exits via the transfer portal with just over a week to go until the first transfer window closes.

Wide receiver Damien Alford entered the portal Tuesday night. The third-year player is the fourth wide receiver to depart the SU program this offseason, joining Courtney Jackson, Anthony Queeley and Dom Foster.

Alford finished the 2022 season with the third-most receiving yards (429) among the Orange. He had two receiving touchdowns and caught the deepest pass of the season, a 58-yard dime from quarterback Garrett Shrader, during Syracuse’s late scoring run against Boston College.

His departure will leave Syracuse without three of its top five receivers from this season. Only Oronde Gadsden II, who led the team, and Trebor Pena, who came in fifth, will be around for 2023.

SU has had nine other players enter the transfer portal, five of whom have found new homes.

Texas Tech football: Syracuse OLB Steve Linton commits to Red Raiders (wreckemred.com; Conner)

One of the biggest tasks Texas Tech football head coach Joey McGuire must accomplish this offseason is to find a way to replace the productivity of All-Big 12 defensive end, Tyree Wilson, who is headed to the NFL Draft after amassing seven sacks and 14 tackles for loss in only ten games this fall. While no one player is going to do for the 2023 Red Raiders what Wilson did this season, the more options that defensive coordinator Tim DeRuyter has to work with, the better the odds will be that Tech can maintain its ability to rush the passer moving forward.

Monday, another intriguing name was added to the mix for Tech’s pass rush when Syracuse outside linebacker Steve Linton announced his intention to transfer to the Red Raiders.

A 6-foot-5, 215-pound native of Dublin, Georgia, Linton was a disruptive force off the edge for the Orange this season. In 11 games, he racked up 3.5 sacks and 6.0 tackles for loss as part of his 22 tackles. That was by far the best season of his four-year Syracuse career as he entered the fall with only 1.5 career sacks.

In the class of 2019, Linton was an under-the-radar recruit. Ranked the No. 88 player in Georgia and the No. 60 weakside defensive end in the nation, he picked Syracuse over offers from Arizona State, Missouri, Baylor, South Florida, Louisville, Central Florida, and others.

Mikel Jones 2022 Season Highlights (SI; McAllister)

Syracuse linebacker Mikel Jones had a stellar 2022 season. He finished with 84 tackles, 7.0 tackles for loss and 4.0 sacks as the leader of the Orange defense. Highlights of his performance are in the video above.

Jones has declared for the 2023 NFL Draft. He leaves Syracuse with 301 tackles, 24 tackles for loss, 9.5 sacks, four interceptions, six pass deflections, four forced fumbles and four fumble recoveries.

“First I want to thank God for everything he has helped me with during my college career and the previous stages I’ve been on that helped me get this far,” Jones said in the post. “I want to thank my Mom and my grandparents for the unconditional love and support they have given me through the many ups and downs throughout my career. I would not have made it this far without them.

“The relationships that I’ve made with my teammates, Coaches, fellow athletes and students will always mean the world to me for they have taught me lessons and helped me develop as a better young man during my time at Syracuse.

ORANGE ZONE: A moment bigger than sports (cnycentral.com; Hodges)

We're just four days into the new year, four days into 2023.

For the world, celebrations of new beginnings were stopped abruptly on Monday night when Buffalo Bills defensive back Damar Hamlin collapsed in the first quarter of the Bills long-awaited matchup with the Cincinnati Bengals. In that moment cardiac arrest put his life, the life of a 24-year-old man with his whole life ahead of him, at risk.

It was a moment bigger than the backdrop. It was a moment bigger than sports itself.

WATCH this week's episode of "The Orange Zone Podcast"

Mike Tirico, NBC Sports & Sunday Night Football | Off the Record with Dannie Rogers Episode 15 (youtube; video; Detroit Lions)

In this episode of Off the Record, Detroit Lions team reporter Dannie Rogers sits down with the Mike Tirico, the voice of Sunday Night Football. The two discuss Tirico's start in the broadcasting industry, his time in college at Syracuse University and WAER Radio and Tirico gives advice to young broadcasters.

ACC News

Report: Florida State hires new defensive backs coach (tomahawknation.com; LNofK)

Swag Daddy will stay swagging in Syracuse...

Florida State has reportedly found its new defensive backs coach.

It didn’t take long for FSU to replace Marcus Woodson, now co-defensive coordinator at for the Arkansas Razorbacks, as ESPN’s Pete Thamel and Matt Fortuna of The Athletic are both reporting that the Seminoles have hired Patrick Surtain.

Mike Norvell really wanted to add a coach with strong ties to South Florida, and they don’t get much stronger than Surtain.

A defensive analyst for the Miami Dolphins this season, Surtain had spent the previous five years of his career as head coach of South Florida powerhouse American Heritage. Surtain spent 11 years in the NFL, seven with the Miami Dolphins and four with the Kansas City Chiefs.

A highly respected name in South Florida, this is a hire with a lot of upside for FSU.

From his Dolphins bio:

Patrick Surtain (pronounced sir-TAN) re-joined the Miami Dolphins as a defensive assistant in 2022 after a standout playing career nearly two decades ago.
A member of the franchise’s 50th Season All-Time Team, Surtain had a seven-year (1998-2004) career as a Dolphins cornerback.
Surtain spent nine years (2013-21) coaching at American Heritage High School in Plantation, Florida. He began his tenure as an assistant coach in 2013 before being promoted to head coach in 2016.
In his six seasons (2016-21) as head coach at American Heritage, the Patriots won three state championships (2016, 2017 and 2020). In addition to building a successful team, Surtain also helped develop several players that earned Division I scholarships and became NFL draft picks.

FSU football finishes No. 11 and highest ACC team in final 2022 AP Poll (chopchat.com; Hunt)

FSU football began the 2022 season unranked and not receiving one vote in the preseason AP Top 25 poll with their 5-7 campaign to conclude the 2021 season.

However, the potential for the 2022 team to climb into the top 25 at some point this season wasn’t far-fetch, but the Noles exceeded all expectations with a 10-win season. It was a tale of stretches for FSU football.

They rattled off four consecutive wins to open the season and enter the top 25 for the first time since the 2018 preseason. A three-loss stretch to three ranked teams saw the Noles for to 4-3 before their second bye week. However, a friendly backend of the schedule gave FSU fans hope they would finish the season on a high note.

They rattled off five consecutive wins to complete the regular season with a shot at 10 wins if they won their bowl game. They did so in a thrilling 35-32 win over Oklahoma in the Cheez-It Bowl.

Georgia destroyed TCU Monday night in the national title game to win back-to-back titles and will end the season at No. 1 in the final AP Top 25. The Noles finished at No. 11., which is their highest final ranking since the 2016 season when they finished at No. 8.

Miami football adds Bethune-Cookman and Ed Reed to 2023 schedule (caneswarning.com; Rubenstein)

The clowns in the UMAD office were the ones holding up finalizing the ACC schedule...

The Miami football team will play Bethune-Cookman and former Hurricanes legend and Wildcats’ head coach Ed Reed in September 2023 according to the Miami Herald. Miami defeated Bethune-Cookman 70-13 in the 2022 season opener with Reed serving as the Hurricanes’ Chief of Staff.

Miami completed their 2023 schedule with the addition of the Wildcats. Miami also has 2023 non-conference games versus Miami (Ohio) on September 2, Texas A&M on September 9 and at Temple on September 23. The ACC announced on Tuesday that they will release the 2023 conference schedule on January 30.

Reed was hired as head coach by Bethune-Cookman last month. Prior to being hired by Bethune-Cookman, the only coaching role for Reed was as the Buffalo Bills’ assistant defensive backs coach in 2016. Reed is the latest former NFL All-Pro player to be hired as a head coach at an HBCU head coach.

Former All-Pro running back Eddie George is the head coach at Tennessee State and Deion Sanders left Jackson State for Colorado following the 2022 season. Reed inherited a Bethune-Cookman program that is 4-18 the last two seasons and has not won a conference championship since 2015.

Former Clemson DT Finds New Home in ACC (SI; Senkiw)

A former Clemson defensive lineman will get a chance to play against his old teammates in Death Valley this fall.

Etinosa Reuben, who entered the NCAA transfer portal on Jan. 6, announced Tuesday that he's committed to play for ACC rival Georgia Tech in 2023.

The Kansas City native played eight games for the Tigers but only saw 56 snaps and recorded one tackle in 2022. The previous year, Reuben was more involved in the rotation and produced 14 tackles and 2.5 sacks.

It wasn't a surprise when he left Clemson for the portal. The Tigers are returning both Tyler Davis and Ruke Orhorhoro at defensive tackle and gaining big-time prospect Peter Woods, so playing time would have once again been limited for Reuben in 2023.

Column: 2023-24 Florida State football season should be considered ACC champions-or-bust (tallahassee.com; Karels)

Now that the college football season is over, the offseason hype for the 2023-24 Florida State team has officially begun.

Preseason top 10. The next ACC champions. Appearing in the College Football Playoff for the first time since its inception in 2014. Those are among the lofty expectations that the Seminoles have already received from national pundits.

And it is easy to understand why.

FSU not only brought back several key players – including 10 All-ACC selections – from a team that finished No. 11 in the AP Poll. But the Seminoles also addressed most of their needs via the transfer portal. Their nine-player 2023 transfer class ranks No. 1 and 2 nationally on 247Sports and On3, respectively.

It’s also worth mentioning that the ACC will scrap the two-division format next season and introduce a new 3-5-5 scheduling model. So FSU will now have an easier path to the ACC Championship Game.

With the Seminoles having all of the right pieces in place, it’s fair to wonder if there are any limits to what they could accomplish next season. Which is why ACC champions-or-bust – at the very least – seems like an appropriate aspiration for them.

Whether FSU will be able to handle those expectations under fourth-year coach Mike Norvell remains unclear. But the Seminoles project to be better on offense, defense and special teams next season, which is broken down below.

Seminole offense could go from elite to nation's best

By almost every measurable metric, FSU had an elite offense this past season.

Jordan Travis received the highest offensive grade (91.7) among Power Five quarterbacks, per Pro Football Focus. The running backs produced more rushing yards per game (214.1) than any Seminole team since 1995. The wide receivers finished No. 6 nationally in receiving grade (86.3), per PFF.

Sapakoff: A somewhat way too early forecast for 2023 college football (P&C; Sapakoff)

Georgia spent a long season reemphasizing a notion that the College Football Playoff championship path runs through the Athens play yard of UGA, the Bulldog’s mascot, until further notice.

But TCU’s role in creating a Dawgs-Frawgs matchup Monday night proved it’s possible for a team to go from unranked to the CFP title bout, adding excitement for fan bases all over the country going into the 2023 season.

Things to get excited (or worry) about before and after spring practice:

Preseason top 10

1. Georgia

2. Alabama

3. Michigan

4. Ohio State

5. Southern California

6. Notre Dame

7. Florida State

8. LSU

9. TCU

10. Clemson

Best FCS matchup in South Carolina

The Citadel at S.C. State, Sept. 23

Most intriguing season openers

1. Colorado at TCU. Deion Sanders’ debut with the Buffaloes; a TCU team capable of another playoff appearance.

2. LSU vs. Florida State in Orlando. Brian Kelly and the Tigers seek payback for a stunning 2022 opener loss in Atlanta, and this time it’s possibly a top 10 matchup.

3. Tennessee vs. Virginia in Nashville. The Cavaliers cancelled their final two games of 2022 after three players, including former Woodland High School wide receiver Lavel Davis Jr., died in a campus shooting.

4. South Carolina vs. North Carolina in Charlotte. Spencer Rattler vs. Drake Maye projects as a shootout made for NFL scouts.

5. Florida at Utah. The Gators beat the Pac-12 champs in Gainesville (29-26) to kick off 2022.

SEC passing yards leader

1. Joe Milton III, or bluechip freshman Nico Iamaleava, or anyone else head coach Josh Heupel plugs into his Tennessee system.

2. Spencer Rattler, South Carolina. Without MarShawn Lloyd at running back, but with former NFL play-caller Dowell Loggains looking to take advantage of a big arm, the yards should pile up.

Heisman runner-up race

Southern California quarterback Caleb Williams is the heavy favorite to repeat, putting these guys in a race for No. 2:

Michael Penix Jr., QB, Washington

Sam Hartman, QB, Notre Dame

Blake Corum, RB, Michigan

Donovan Edwards, RB, Michigan

Will Shipley, RB, Clemson

Chandler Morris, QB, TCU

Quinshon Judkins, RB, Ole Miss

Jordan Travis, QB, Florida State

Drake Maye, QB, North Carolina

Bo Nix, QB, Oregon

ACC Championship Game

Clemson vs. Florida State

ACC football architects have imagined annual Tigers-Seminoles drama since Florida State joined the conference three decades ago, and the rivalry has never lived up to the great games of 1988 (The Puntrooski Game) and 1989 (the late Wayne Simmons’ interception return in Tallahassee), before the Seminoles came aboard.

No more ACC divisions, and plenty of momentum at Florida State after a 10-3 season.

ESPN, ACC announce date for 2023 conference football schedules (tigernet.com; Staff)

The 2023 ACC football schedule will be unveiled live during a two-hour special ACC Huddle: 2023 Football Schedule Reveal on Monday, Jan. 30, in primetime at 7 p.m. ET, exclusively on ACC Network.

Clemson has non-conference dates scheduled with Charleston Southern (home; Sept. 9), Florida Atlantic (home; Sept. 16), Notre Dame (home; Nov. 4) and South Carolina (road; Nov. 25).

Games to be slotted, including the season opener, include home dates with Florida State, Georgia Tech, Wake Forest and UNC and road matchups with Duke, NC State, Syracuse and Miami. It will be the first season without divisions, where the top-2 finishers in conference play will meet in Charlotte's ACC Championship Game.

Jordan Cornette will host the two-hour special and will be joined by Eric Mac Lain, EJ Manuel and Mark Richt on January 30 as they reveal each team’s full 2023 schedule along with key matchups and weeks.

Additionally, coaches from across the conference will be featured on ACC PM throughout the week following the official reveal to discuss their schedules with Mark Packer, Tre Boston and Taylor Tannebaum.

Other

2GM7VYRFCREVJORR3UZSDJXSLQ.jpg

B'ville Diner. (Charlie Miller | cmiller@syracuse.com)

Popular 89-year-old diner soon returning to 24-hour service for the first time since Covid shutdown (PS; Miller)

For the first time since the Covid pandemic forced restaurants and bars to close on March 16, 2020, a favorite Central New York diner will soon return to serving 24 hours a day.

The B’ville Diner at 18 E. Genesee St. will resume its all-night hours on weekends within a month, as soon as management can hire an overnight cook and a few servers.

“Baldwinsville needs this. Central New York needs this. We (the employees) need this,” said Daniel Burchill, the diner’s general manager. “We’re coming back.”

For decades, this diner had been open 24 hours a day until then-Gov. Andrew Cuomo shut all restaurants and bars down on St. Patrick’s Day Eve 2020 in an effort to quell the spread of Covid-19. He allowed them to reopen on June 12 with limited capacity and other restrictions.

Even when the B’ville Diner did reopen, it wasn’t the same. Much of the staff didn’t return to work, and the breakfast-lunch-dinner menu had been gutted to two sheets of paper listing a few sandwiches and basic breakfasts.

“Covid crushed our staffing,” Burchill said. “For the longest time we became complacent. I think everyone did. It’s time to pull out of that.”

Last week, the diner dusted off the stack of eight-page plastic-covered menus. The kitchen is grilling steaks for dinner again, and they’ll fix you old favorites like the tuna melt and Monte Cristo sandwich for lunch. They’ve added variations of mac & cheese, and they’re offering chicken and waffles.

Attachments

• 1673438335344.png
    1673438335344.png
    73 bytes · Views: 40
Jones thanking other students...interesting seeing that because I don't read that very often and to be honest I really don't remember ever reading it but I'm sure I have, I hope. You often wonder if a lot of these athletes live in a bubble so to speak and it's refreshing reading this.