Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant

Welcome to International Cat Day!

International Cat Day
is a celebration which takes place on 8 August of every year. It was created in 2002 by the International Fund for Animal Welfare. It is a day to raise awareness for cats and learn about ways to help and protect them.

SU News

Overheard at Syracuse football training camp: ‘Man, you talk to your son like that?’ (PS; $; Carlson)

It’s going to be hard for Syracuse offensive coordinator Jeff Nixon to find enough footballs to give opportunities to all of the players the Orange coaching staff has mentioned as expected contributors during the first week of training camp.

One week after Syracuse coach Fran Brown quipped that the Orange could choose to use four tight ends on some plays, Nixon said that he believes in utilizing three or four running backs in his offensive rotation.

Nixon said he doesn’t expect that to change even with the presence of a “bell cow” back in LeQuint Allen that the staff considers ready to play in the NFL.

“I believe in a three, four-back system,” Nixon said on Tuesday. “You’re going to see guys on the field. It’s not just going to be LeQuint. He is our starter. He is our bell cow. But we’re going to rotate guys in there.”

That would mark a significant change in approach. Allen carried the ball 245 times last season. The next-highest total for a running back was Jawuan Price (47) and Ike Daniels (18). Syracuse did utilize Garrett Shrader as a running option. He was second on the team with 113 carries.

Coaches often express hope to utilize depth during training camp practices only to fall back on their top-line players once the games start to count. Still, if Nixon’s preseason vision comes to fruition, there will be roles for others besides Allen.

Freshman Yasin Willis flashed a strong combination of speed and size during the team’s spring game and Syracuse added Nixon’s son, former Washington running back Will Nixon, as a transfer during the offseason.

Will Nixon comes to Syracuse after having spent time at Washington and Nebraska, receiving limited carries in three different college seasons. His father said the coaching staff felt having an older player join Allen in the running back room made for a better combination.

“It’s been business,” Jeff Nixon said of working with his son. “He knows. I ripped into him the first day, the very first practice. Guys were like, ‘Man, you talk to your son like that?’ He knew what the deal was going to be. It’s been great having him here. I like that he’s a fifth-year player, has played in a lot of big football games. He gives us that veteran presence.”

Nixon praised all five of SU’s scholarship running backs, also mentioning Jaden Hart’s development and Malachi James’ speed.

BEZPVZ7FNVG6VEO7LTXENZGKWM.jpg

On hand to celebrate former Syracuse football star Dwight Freeney's induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame last weekend were (L to R): Marlon Greenwood, Duke Pettijohn, former SU and current Buffalo Bills strength coach Hal Luther, Will Hicks, Freeney and James Mungro. (Photo courtesy Will Hicks)Photo courtesy Will Hicks

Inside Dwight Freeney’s Hall of Fame after-party: ‘The most amazing thing I’ve ever been to’ (PS; $; Waters)

Dwight Freeney, the former Syracuse University defensive end, included a shout-out to Will Hicks during his speech at the Pro Football Hall of Fame’s induction ceremony this past weekend.

“You trained me like Rocky Balboa, and you pushed me to my absolute limits,” Freeney said. “My friend, you mean the world to me.”

The nod came as a surprise to the SU football program’s long-time strength and conditioning coach.

“I had no conceivable idea that he was going to mention me in his talk,’’ Hicks said Tuesday. “I kinda choked up then, but at least I held it together.’’

But the celebration of Freeney’s induction and the connection he shares with Hicks didn’t end with Freeney’s speech on Saturday in Canton, Ohio. In fact, it didn’t begin there.

Freeney wanted Hicks to be part of his entire Hall of Fame experience from Friday’s annual jacket dinner, where current Hall of Famers present the new inductees with their gold Hall of Fame jackets, to a Saturday night after-party thrown by the Indianapolis Colts in Freeney’s honor that featured past NFL greats and over-the-top catering.

“It was the most amazing thing I’ve ever been to,’’ Hicks said of the Saturday’s star-studded event. “Imagine the craziest party you’ve ever been to on steroids. You walked in and they had a station of oysters and crab legs and stone crab and this and that.’’

Hicks described his behind-the-scenes experience at the Hall of Fame after speaking to fans on Tuesday at Heritage Hill Brewhouse in Pompey, which served as the final stop on SU’s coaches caravan tour.

On Friday, Hicks got to see hundreds of NFL Hall of Famers at the annual dinner. Bruce Smith, the Buffalo Bills Hall of Famer, helped Freeney slip into his Hall of Fame jacket.

“That was a special moment,’’ Hicks said.

The induction ceremony was held the next day. That’s when Hicks got his shout-out.
Kyle McCord Shares why Syracuse was the Right Fit for his Final Season (nccnews.com; vidio; Hricik)
For three years, quarterback Kyle McCord dawned a red and white jersey. That isn’t the case any longer.

After a successful season with Ohio State, McCord entered the transfer portal and committed to Syracuse football in December. The senior has only one year of eligibility remaining, but is confident he made the right choice.

In fact, McCord was ready to help Orange head coach Fran Brown bring in other transfer portal players after committing.

“When I made my decision, I was all in,” McCord said at ACC Kickoff in Charlotte last week. “Put my recruiting hat on, try to get some other guys out of the portal. It came together extremely nice.”

McCord is from New Jersey and considers playing for Syracuse a homecoming. He’s known about the program for most of his life, and has developed relationships with Brown and the coaching staff prior to making the jump to the Orange.

McCord had his first season as a starting quarterback last year, leading the Buckeyes to a 12-1 record and a Goodyear Cotton Bowl appearance. He had 24 touchdown passes, recorded 3,170 passing yards and only recorded six interceptions.

“I seen him as a winner,” Brown said. “I think Kyle may have lost two games his entire life, once in Little League in the championship, then last year. The kid has just been a winner his entire life.”

Syracuse was picked 12th in the ACC Preseason Poll, but McCord and the Orange are expecting a winning season. And when the starting quarterback runs onto the field at The JMA Wireless Dome on August 31, it’ll be his first time experiencing a Syracuse football game.

“I got a glimpse during the spring game, but it wasn’t even close to full capacity,” McCord said. “So I’m excited to see it in action.”

Kyle McCord Leads Syracuse Football QBs BUT Who Should be the BACKUP? | Syracuse Orange Podcast (youtube; podcast; Locked on Syracuse)
Syracuse Football has a definitive starting quarterback for the 2024 season, Ohio State transfer Kyle McCord. However, Head Coach Fran Brown has said the backup spot is open for competition. Here are the possible candidates: Carlos Del Rio-Wilson, Braeden Davis, Michael Johnson Jr., and Jakhari Williams. Then, the discussion shifts to the best/worst position groups on the team. The tight ends led by Oronde Gadsden look strong, but the defensive line could be worrisome. Jackson Holzer brings on Neil Adler from Inside the Loud House for Part I of this Cuse Football discussion on this edition of the Locked On Syracuse Podcast.

What will Syracuse’s football offense look like? (youtube; podcast; Lindsley)

What will Syracuse’s football offense look like?
Syracuse Football has TWO Quality Backup Running Backs | Syracuse Orange Podcast (youtube; podcast; Locked on Syracuse)
Syracuse Football's running back room looks improved from last season. Head Coach Fran Brown was able to keep All ACC running back LeQuint Allen, and he should remain the starter for the Orange. 2024 Three-star recruit Yasin Willis and three-star Washington transfer Will Nixon should be quality backups behind Allen. 2024 recruits Malachi James and Jaden Hart are future names to keep in my for the Cuse.Jackson Holzer talks about the Cuse Football running backs for the 2024 season on this edition of the Locked On Syracuse Podcast.

Ohio at Syracuse | Week 1 Simulation | College Football 25 (youtube; simulation; Jotaykra Rogers)

Extremely realistic simulation

The Ohio Bobcats and Syracuse Orange clash for Week 1 of the 2024-2025 College Football Season. The Bobcats and Orange have only met once before in their history dating back to 2021. The Orange taking the game 29-9 on September 4th, 2021.

EA Sports College Football 25 is a video game based on college football, developed by EA Orlando and published by EA Sports. It is a part of the EA Sports College Football game series and the first such game in eleven years since NCAA Football 14 in 2013.

College Football 25 - Stanford vs Syracuse (youtube; simulation; MpalacsMikeyGaming)

College Football 25 - Stanford vs Syracuse
Syracuse vs Rutgers | NCAA Football 06 Syracuse Orange Dynasty | S3:E8 (youtube; sumulation; Playbook Gamer)

Fairly realistic simulation

Syracuse vs Rutgers | NCAA Football 06 Syracuse Orange Dynasty | S3:E8

Why Yasin Willis Will Turn Heads On Offense This Season (orangefizz.net; Papillo)

Syracuse football’s offense this season is already loaded with talent. Whether it’s 3,000-yard passer Kyle McCord, All-ACC tight end Oronde Gadsden II, or even the elusive LeQuint Allen, there will be no shortage of electricity when Fran Brown’s starting 11 hits the field. For a team with so much buzz, there’s going to be a player or two who exceed expectations and make the team that much better. For 2024, look no further than the true freshman running back Yasin Willis.

Willis joins the Orange this season after playing high school football in Montvale, New Jersey, where he was the tenth-ranked prospect in the state. The three-star recruit had offers from Pitt (where he was originally committed), Rutgers, Boston College, and Kentucky before deciding to pick Syracuse, which was most likely impacted by Fran Brown’s influence in the region. The 6-foot-1, 220-pound back finished his high school career with over 1,000 yards each season, including 17 touchdowns in his junior year.

But why is he going to shine at Syracuse this season? Well, SU’s new offensive coordinator Jeff Nixon joins the team aiming to adopt a pro-style offense after spending over a decade in the NFL as a running backs coach. Last season with the New York Giants, Nixon worked hand-in-hand with superstar running back Saquon Barkley and allowed him to shine with over 950 yards on the ground. Willis perfectly fits the mold for a Barkley-type in a Nixon-led offense, so the mix of LeQuint Allen’s elusiveness and Yasin Willis’ power should lead to plenty of opportunities for the true freshman.

Syracuse football: how have other first-year head coaches fared for the Orange? (TNIAAM; Chiappone)

With the Syracuse Orange football team ushering in a new era under coach Fran Brown, there’s a lingering question most fans likely have in the back if their minds.

How is Coach Brown going to be as an in-game coach?

Recruitment success and strong culture building aside, it’s not like Brown brings zero experience to the table. He previously served as defensive backs coordinator for Temple, Rutgers and the national champion Bulldogs. He was under the wing of Georgia coach Kirby Smart, one of the most successful current coaches in the sport. Bringing him to the Orange was clearly an unconventional, but absolutely correct, choice.

Two things can be right at once: the on-field inexperience is a legitimate concern. It might be Brown’s only one. It might partly explain Syracuse’s rankings in the ACC preseason poll, among the oddsmakers and within the national outlets (namely CBS Sports).

We’re not going to speculate, but what we can do is look at the history of the program. What does past precedent say about how Syracuse could fare this upcoming season, Brown’s first at the helm?

The answer: there isn’t really a clear answer.

Dating back to the Ben Schwartzwalder era (for simplicity sake), the numbers look something like this:
First seasons for recent Syracuse football head coaches

Ben Schwartzwalder4-5N/ANo25 years
Frank Maloney2-9N/ANo7 years
Dick MacPherson4-6-1*N/ANo10 years
Paul Pasqualoni10-25-0 (Big East)Hall of Fame Bowl (W)14 years
Greg Robinson1-100-7 (Big East)No4 years
Doug Marrone4-81-6 (Big East)No4 years
Scott Shafer7-64-4 (ACC)Texas Bowl (W)3 years
Dino Babers4-82-6 (ACC)No8 years

Writer’s note: all stats and info according to Sports-Reference.com

Among the names, two coaches really stand out among: Paul Pasqualoni (for all the great reasons) and Greg Robinson (for all the wrong reasons).

Syracuse football's reworked defensive front coming together (247sports.com; Chamberlain)

The Syracuse Orange held their sixth preseason practice Tuesday as it was the second day in pads.

Practice began with an 11-on-11 two-minute drill with both sides of the ball being tested in the uptempo environment. Defensively, with defensive coordinator Elijah Robinson's new scheme installed after spring ball, the Orange are refining the smaller details throughout preseason camp.

"I think we're pretty far along now," said linebacker Derek McDonald. "Especially coming from the spring where we made pretty big strides and I think we're starting to see the small things now."

With Robinson's arrival from Texas A&M, the previous 3-3-5 scheme was scratched for a 4-2-5 scheme.

"I wish this was something that we had been running for a couple of years," McDonald said. "But I think you can get to a point in one year where you can master the defense."

The change brings an extra defensive lineman on the line of scrimmage but drops the strong outside linebacker from the formation. The anchors of this defense linebacker Marlowe Wax, defensive back Justin Barron and defensive lineman Elijah Fuentes-Cundiff will have made their presence felt on and off the field as leaders.

"They are the leaders and this is their team," Robinson said. "Those guys show up everyday and lead, not just on the field but in meeting rooms. Off the field, those guys do all the right things to make my job easy."

Overall, Robinson is proud of where his defense is at as they continue to prepare for the upcoming season and continue to gel together before the Aug. 31 season opener.

"These guys are flying around, they play hard and try to be as physical as they can possibly be," Robinson said. "They are smart and I love the way they keep composed and the energy they bring every day."

From the players' side, Robinson has been embraced by his players as he's molded the defense to the player's needs.

"He's a really good player's coach and he really pushes us every day and challenges us," McDonald said. "It's been fun learning and stepping into that role and seeing how he can make the defense fit us."

As a redshirt junior, McDonald has noticed the development of fellow redshirt freshman linebacker Zyian Moultrie-Goddard throughout the offseason. "He's come a long way and he's big and he's physical," McDonald said. "He's starting to learn the defense and he's playing real aggressive, but I'm excited to see him and everything he does this year."

Overall, the reworked front six will continue to learn and refine small details as they build more game-speed reps during the next three weeks.

"I think moving forward we're going to continue to grow and it's going to be really exciting to watch," McDonald said.

Who Will Replace Braylen Ingraham on the Syracuse Defensive Line? (itlh; Nederveld)

It was recently announced that Syracuse football defensive lineman Braylen Ingraham tore his Achilles, according to various media reports.

He is out for the season, and barring something unexpected, it's the end of his college career. Ingraham transferred to Syracuse before the 2023 season.

In 2023, as a redshirt junior, Ingraham played in all 13 games, recording 16 tackles, three tackles for loss, 0.5 sacks, and two pass deflections, according to SU Athletics. Prior to that, Ingraham spent four years at Alabama, winning the 2020 National Championship, although he later tore his ACL and lateral meniscus, missing the 2021 and 2022 seasons and medically retired in 2022.

Any career-ending injury is awful. But it especially sucks for a guy whose career has already been ravaged by injuries. Additionally, Ingraham was set to be a key contributor and possibly a starter for a Syracuse football defensive line going through changes. Under new defensive coordinator Elijah Robinson, the Orange will move on from their 3-3-5 in favor of a 4-2-5.

This move requires an additional defensive lineman and the position group is already thin with last season's starter Kevon Darton transferring to Arizona. With that, here are some 'Cuse players who I think have to (and will) step up to replace Ingraham.

Syracuse football defensive linemen who will have to step up to replace the injured Braylen
Ingraham.
Dion Wilson Jr.
Dion Wilson Jr. was one of two portal additions for the interior of Syracuse's defensive line (more on the other soon), one that is even more important now. Wilson comes to Upstate New York via one year at New Mexico State and three with Arizona. He started four games a season ago, appearing in 14 while recording 31 tackles, 2.5 tackles for loss, two sacks, and forcing a fumble for an Aggies team that won 10 games and beat Auburn. Wilson stands an impressive 6-foot-5, 296 pounds, and he is a veteran player who I'm high on.

Isaiah Hastings
The other transfer, Isaiah Hastings, comes to the Hill after two years at Alabama. The former four-star prospect was originally committed to Missouri but flipped shortly to Syracuse football after Mizzou defensive coordinator Blake Baker left for LSU. Hastings only played in one game but was a higher-rated transfer than Wilson in the portal and coming out of high school. The Toronto, Ontario, native comes in at 6-foot-4, 294 pounds, and has three years of eligibility remaining.

Syracuse football alum makes WWE Monday Night Raw debut as 'Odyssey Jones' (video) (PS; $; Owens)

After going more than a year without appearing on WWE television, a new day has dawned for former Syracuse football player Omari Palmer.

Palmer, a professional wrestler with the ring name “Odyssey Jones,” made a surprise appearance on Monday Night Raw last night, coming to the aid of The New Day in their tag team match against the Authors of Pain.

Palmer, who was an offensive lineman for the Orange from 2013-2016, signed with World Wrestling Entertainment in 2019. He was assigned to NXT, the WWE’s developmental brand, and given the name Odyssey Jones.

In May last year, Jones was selected in the WWE’s annual “draft” to the Monday Night Raw brand, but did not make any appearances on the program. Instead, he was relegated to “dark” (non-televised) matches. He also made appearances at colleges representing the WWE at its Campus Rush events, part of the WWE’s efforts to recruit college athletes for its “Next In Line” NIL program. He shared highlights from his visits to Notre Dame and Alabama on his Instagram page.

In this year’s WWE Draft in April, he was once again picked by Raw — the WWE’s announcement of his selection on social media misspelled his name as “Oddysey” — but he continued to be absent from television.

That changed Monday night, though, when he came to the aid of Xavier Woods and Kofi Kingston of The New Day in their match against Akam and Rezar of the Authors of Pain. When Karrion Kross attempted to interfere in the match to help AOP, Jones came out of the back and attacked Kross. Then, when Akam and Rezar attacked Woods after The New Day won the match, Jones came to Woods’ aid, at one point lifting both Akam and Rezar up and slamming them to the mat at the same time.

ACC News

2024 ACC Football Preview | Predictions and Picks (youtube; podcat; I Said What I Said)
In this ACC Conference preview and picks video, we look at how the conference stacks up in 2024 to help make you the best bets possible during Money Makin' Time!We take an in-depth look at every single team in the ACC and preview if we think they'll be successful or if they'll struggle.
What we'll learn about NC State football early in the season (youtube; podcast; 99.9 The Fan)
Adam Gold and Chip Patterson of CBS Sports discuss ACC football win totals, including what we'll learn about NC State football early in the season, and why Clemson football is poised to win the ACC Championship.
ONE Florida State lawsuit vs ACC tossed out, doesn't change legal outlook l College Football Podcast (youtube; podcast; Locked on College Football)
Florida State sued the ACC to have its media rights contract become public, but the Florida AG had the case tossed out. Is it going to have any serious ramifications as FSU tries to break free from the grant of rights and leave the ACC?
https://www.dukechronicle.com/artic...gs-clemson-florida-state-miami-north-carolina (dukechronicle.com; Staff)
College football is almost here, as the ACC slate kicks off in less than three weeks. The Chronicle's football beats are here with their preseason ACC team rankings, with insight on where the Blue Devils fit in and some teams to watch throughout the expanded conference:

Ranjan Jindal

1. Clemson
  2. Miami
  3. Florida State
  4. N.C. State
  5. Virginia Tech
  6. SMU
  7. Louisville
  8. Georgia Tech
  9. Duke
  10. North Carolina
  11. Syracuse
  12. Virginia
  13. Boston College
  14. Cal
  15. Pittsburgh
  16. Wake Forest
  17. Stanford
At the top, I have Clemson and Miami advancing to the ACC Championship. The Tiger defense will be elite once again, but their success is predicated on Cade Klubnik’s decision making and the offensive line protection. If healthy, the receiving core is much improved with two talented freshmen, so that makes the difference for me. Miami’s experienced offensive line and explosive playmakers will be the catalyst to their success, and Preseason ACC Player of the Year Cam Ward will be dynamic. While I still think Florida State is formidable, I predict they take a slight drop due to the influx of talent to the NFL Draft.

I think Duke finishes around the middle of the ACC, and it largely depends on how the Blue Devils fare in some tough league contests at home. My biggest question with the team is the offensive line, but I really like what head coach Manny Diaz has done in the portal to add experience and leadership across the board. The middle-tier ACC teams are so much stronger this year in my opinion, and I could see Duke falling below No. 10 in the league.

There’s a few quarterbacks I’m watching that could elevate their teams and shock some people. One is Haynes King of Georgia Tech, who threw for 2,800 yards last season and has some key weapons around him. Secondly, Thomas Castellanos of Boston College emerged last season after injury, tearing up defenses including Florida State’s, and I’m intrigued to watch him under Bill O’Brien’s offense. Finally, Virginia's Anthony Colandrea, who carved the Blue Devil defense last year for 271 yards and three touchdowns, has elite arm talent and should be even better in his second year. If Tony Muskett starts, he also has great experience for the Cavaliers.

Dom Fenoglio

1. Florida State
  2. Clemson
  3. N.C. State
  4. Louisville
  5. Miami
  6. SMU
  7. Virginia Tech
  8. Georgia Tech
  9. Duke
  10. Cal
  11. North Carolina
  12. Boston College
  13. Syracuse
  14. Wake Forest
  15. Pittsburgh
  16. Virginia
  17. Stanford
In my opinion, the gap between Florida State and Clemson at No. 1 and No. 2 is razor thin. The Tigers came alive during the back half of last season, and I think a competitive showing in Week 1 against Georgia — and a revenge factor on the road against the Seminoles — could fuel a push for the top of the conference. With that being said, I still have Florida State repeating as conference champions.
When it comes to the rest of the conference, I think the ACC is deceptively deep. Any of the teams I have ranked No. 3-7 could make a dark horse run, and even schools like Syracuse and Boston College near the bottom of the ledger cannot be completely overlooked.
Regarding Duke, however, I think Diaz caught a tough break in his first year at the helm. Facing four of my top six programs in consecutive weeks will be a tall task, and the Blue Devils would be lucky to come away with two wins.

Caleb Dudley

1. Florida State
  2. Miami
  3. Clemson
  4. N.C. State
  5. Virginia Tech
  6. Louisville
  7. SMU
  8. Georgia Tech
  9. Syracuse
  10. Duke
  11. North Carolina
  12. Boston College
  13. Virginia
  14. Pittsburgh
  15. Stanford
  16. Cal
  17. Wake Forest
I had the honor of submitting a ballot at ACC Kickoff, and this is how I saw it shaking out. At the top, I have last year’s champs Florida State and in-state rival Miami advancing to the championship game. While the Seminoles lose several key contributors like Keon Coleman and Jared Verse, their roster is still loaded and extremely well coached. The Hurricanes are the team I believe has the most upside in the conference, largely because they sport the best quarterback in the league in my eyes, Washington State transfer Cam Ward. After tearing up the now defunct Pac-12, Ward will have all eyes on him, and I think he will excel under Mario Cristobal.

In terms of the Blue Devils, their placement is largely due not to their own inability, but the stacked nature of the conference. With the amount of returning talent in the league, I find it hard to justify Duke any higher than No. 10 after everything it lost via graduation and the transfer portal. However, Diaz should bring some juice to the program and several transfers like quarterback Maalik Murphy give the Blue Devils increased firepower.

One team I believe could make some noise in the league this year is Syracuse, who went through a complete overhaul during the offseason. After hiring young head coach Fran Brown, Georgia’s former defensive backs coach, the Orange brought in some major contributors through the transfer portal, including former Ohio State quarterback Kyle McCord. Add in star tight end Oronde Gadsden II returning from an injury that sidelined him all of last season, and Syracuse could be a sleeper to watch.

Martin Heintzelman

1. Florida State
  2. Clemson
  3. Miami
  4. N.C. State
  5. Virginia Tech
  6. Louisville
  7. SMU
  8. North Carolina
  9. Syracuse
  10. Duke
  11. Georgia Tech
  12. Cal
  13. Pittsburgh
  14. Boston College
  15. Wake Forest
  16. Virginia
  17. Stanford
There are a lot of questions surrounding the ACC this year. There are new teams in SMU, Cal and Stanford, and new head coaches at Syracuse, Duke and Boston College. The transfer portal has also turned college football on its head, with players able to move much more freely between schools.

That said, there are two constants at the top of the conference: Clemson and Florida State. Both powerhouse schools are currently suing the conference, but have continued to pour money into their programs. The Seminoles brought in some big-time transfers with quarterback DJ Uiagalelei out of Oregon State and wide receiver Malik Benson from Alabama. Notably, Clemson has not utilized the portal well and I think that will give Florida State the edge at the top.

I also think this will be a solid, but not outstanding, year for Duke. The Blue Devils brought in a true arm talent in Murphy, and some high-upside transfers out of smaller programs. There will inevitably be some growing pains with Diaz at the helm, but it certainly won’t be an awful year for Duke football. I will also highlight Virginia Tech as a program that has really turned itself around in recent years and moved closer to its historic strength. Look for the Hokies to have a strong year.

Abby DiSalvo

1. Florida State
  2. Clemson
  3. N.C. State
  4. Miami
  5. Louisville
  6. SMU
  7. Virginia Tech
  8. North Carolina
  9. Duke
  10. Cal
  11. Georgia Tech
  12. Pittsburgh
  13. Syracuse
  14. Boston College
  15. Wake Forest
  16. Virginia
  17. Stanford
Duke has to rebuild its momentum in the 2024 season, and success will largely depend on how quickly Diaz and new roster additions can gel into a powerhouse. That being said, Diaz brings an unprecedented defensive boost to the program, and competition between Murphy and Loftis could push Duke’s offense to new heights. I expect the Blue Devils to come together sooner rather than later and fare well in the middle third of the conference.

Florida State and Clemson have grappled at the top of the ACC for the last thirteen years, and I doubt this season will be any exception. Though the Seminoles lost several key players to the 2024 NFL Draft, they boast a number of talented transfers. Unless Clemson can produce a star receiver for Cade Klubnik, I think Florida State will repeat its ACC title. There’s only one potential caveat: N.C. State has one of the most talented lineups heading into the season. Having added a strong new quarterback, running back, receiver and tight end, the Wolfpack will certainly try to take advantage of any opening at the top of the conference. As for the new additions, SMU, looking to capitalize off recent investments to its program, will likely fare better than a mediocre Cal and a lackluster Stanford.

ACC With 17 Players Named to 2024 Comeback Player of the Year Award Watch List (theacc.com)
The Atlantic Coast Conference had a total of 17 football players named to a “Watch List” for consideration for the 2024 Comeback Player of the Year Award it was announced on Wednesday, August 7, by the College Sports Communicators (formerly CoSIDA) in association with The Associated Press (AP) and the Fiesta Bowl Organization.

Since 2018, the award has recognized college football student-athletes for overcoming injury, illness, or other circumstances. At the conclusion of each season, in a vote by a panel of college football writers, editors, and sports information directors, three college football student-athletes are honored as Comeback Player of the Year Award winners at the Vrbo Fiesta Bowl.

Representing the ACC on the preseason list are linebacker Bryce Steele of Boston College, quarterback CJ Harris of California, wide receiver Cole Turner of Clemson, wide receiver Eli Pancol of Duke, wide receiver Leo Blackburn and defensive lineman Sylvain Yondjouen of Georgia Tech, wide receiver Ja’Corey Brooks and quarterback Tyler Shough of Louisville, quarterback Emory Williams of Miami, quarterback Grayson McCall of NC State, wide receiver Trebor Pena and tight end Oronde Gadsden II of Syracuse, wide receiver Kobe Paysour of North Carolina, defensive end Kam Butler of Virginia, tight end Nick Gallo and wide receiver Ali Jennings of Virginia Tech and wide receiver Donavon Greene of Wake Forest.

The watch list is comprised of 90 college football student-athletes from 68 different schools.

Mike Hollins of Virginia was one of three players to win the award last year.

ACC Representatives on the 2024 Comeback Player of the Year Award Watch List:

Name, School, Class, Position
Bryce Steele, Boston College, Redshirt Junior, LB
CJ Harris, Cal, Redshirt Sophomore, QB
Cole Turner, Clemson, Redshirt Sophomore, WR
Eli Pancol, Duke, Graduate Student, WR
Leo Blackburn, Georgia Tech, Redshirt Junior, WR
Sylvain Yondjouen, Georgia Tech, Redshirt Senior, DL
Ja'Corey Brooks, Louisville, Redshirt Senior, WR
Tyler Shough, Louisville, Redshirt Senior, QB
Emory Williams, Miami, Sophomore, QB
Kobe Paysour, North Carolina, Junior, WR
Grayson McCall, NC State, Graduate Student, QB
Trebor Pena, Syracuse, Redshirt Junior, WR
Oronde Gadsden II, Syracuse, Redshirt Junior, TE
Kam Butler, Virginia, Sixth-Year, DE
Nick Gallo, Virginia Tech, Graduate Student, TE
Ali Jennings, Virginia Tech, Graduate Student, WR
Donavon Greene, Wake Forest, Redshirt Junior, WR

‘Be one of 11’: Reasons why NC State football will reach the College Football Playoff (fayobserver.com; Baxley)
N.C. State is experiencing a renaissance in 2024.

Since January, the Wolfpack has seen its basketball programs advance to the Final Four and its baseball squad reach the College World Series.

Will football keep the revival rolling into the fall as one of the 12 teams in the College Football Playoff?

“We’ve thought about it a lot. One of our sayings now is ‘Be one of 11.’ That’s really one of our big goals — just try to be one of 11 and try to be top 10 to make it there,” said senior defensive lineman Davin Vann.

“We know if we make it there — when we make it there — that we can handle what we need to do.”

Entering its 12th season under head coach Dave Doeren, the Wolfpack is coming off its fourth consecutive season with at least eight victories — a first for the program.

When the Wolfpack takes the field at Carter-Finley Stadium to face Western Carolina on Aug. 29, it’ll carry a top-25 ranking into the matchup as one of the teams listed in the US LBM coaches poll.

If it wants to make the CFP, State will need to win an ACC championship for the first time since 1979 or be ranked in the top 11 of the CFP rankings.

Here are three reasons why the Wolfpack will be one of the teams competing in the expanded College Football Playoff.

NC State’s defense, consistency under Tony Gibson
The loss of linebacker Payton Wilson, an elite “eraser” as Doeren often described him, will sting. But N.C. State’s defense has proven capable of creating consistency as one of the premier units in the ACC.

Under sixth-year defensive coordinator Tony Gibson, the Wolfpack has remarkably kept its core of coaches together on that side of the ball. That continuity has helped N.C. State produce a top 25 defense in each of the last three seasons.

The Wolfpack returns five key contributors, including Vann and All-ACC cornerback Aydan White. It also added several defensive playmakers via the transfer portal, including Auburn transfer Donovan Kaufman and Maryland transfer Tamarcus Cooley.

Despite Wilson’s absence, there’s no reason to expect a major drop-off for N.C. State’s defense.

Grayson McCall, Wolfpack weapons to aid KC Concepcion
It’s no secret N.C. State’s offense was limited in 2023, with wide receiver KC Concepcion serving as one of the Wolfpack’s few weapons in Robert Anae’s debut season as State’s offensive coordinator.

Doeren and the coaching staff addressed those issues in the offseason, adding quarterback Grayson McCall, running back Jordan Waters, wide receiver Noah Rogers and tight end Justin Joly as the key additions via the transfer portal.

After finishing 91st in total offense last season, N.C. State is positioned to take a major leap in production this year. The Wolfpack has a legitimate shot to average 30 points per game for the first time since 2021.

NC State’s schedule includes Clemson, Tennessee … but it’s manageable

With the Wolfpack’s schedule, the wins are there for the taking in 2024. N.C. State has won nine games in four of Doeren’s 11 seasons, but the program has reached double-digit wins just once (2002) in 118 years.

UNC football’s Kaimon Rucker, Power Echols reveal Geoff Collins' mantra for Tar Heels (citizen-times.com; Baxley)
Geoff Collins has brought an energetic personality, aggressive approach and the “Minister of Mayhem” moniker to Chapel Hill.

As North Carolina football’s new defensive coordinator, Collins has also incorporated a mantra that fifth-year senior Kaimon Rucker has taken to heart as the Tar Heels take aim at reversing their defensive woes.

“With Coach Collins coming in and saying, ‘We want to be the best defense in college football,’ we’ve had a lot of guys take on that mantra and really believe it,” said Rucker, an All-ACC pass rusher.

“Now that everybody believes it, we gotta see it and put it to work. When we’ve done that, I’ve seen a lot of guys take that maturity step forward of what we needed them to do. It’s a beautiful sight to see. I’m really excited to see how this defense continues to progress. … I’m really ready to see how this defense rolls into action.”

UNC, which opens the season at Minnesota on Aug. 29, doesn’t have to be “the best defense in college football.” But the Tar Heels have to be better than they’ve been in the last two seasons, particularly in a 2023 campaign that saw them lose five of their last seven games.

In those five losses, UNC allowed an average of 35.4 points per game. The setbacks on that side of the ball prompted head coach Mack Brown to move on from defensive coordinator Gene Chizik in favor of Collins, the Tar Heels’ third defensive coordinator in five years.

Hired in January, Collins made his name as a coach who likes to create chaos: apply as much pressure as possible in as many ways as possible and open up opportunities for defensive backs to make plays.

2024 Saturday TV Slots (RX; HM)

2024 Saturday TV Slots

Here's a little reminder how TV scheduling will work this football season...

Noon3:30
pm
Prime
time
FoxB1G
CBSB1G
NBCNDB1G
ABCSEC
ESPN
Family

The Big Ten are guaranteed to have one game in each of the Saturday time slots: noon on Fox, 3:30 on CBS, and prime time on NBC. They can and will have other games in those time slots on the other networks, but each network has agreed to feature the Big Ten in one slot each. Finally, each B1G team will appear at least twice on the Big Ten Network.

In most cases CBS and NBC will not have anything in the noon time slot, or if they do, it will be a G5 game.

Notre Dame will generally get the 3:30 slot on NBC when they play at home - although some games will be played in prime time.

The SEC is also guaranteed a time slot: 3:30 on ABC. They can and will have other games, sometimes on ABC, usually on ESPN/2/U. One non-conference game for each SEC team will be on ESPN+. SEC teams may also appear on the SEC Network, of course.

The Big XII will be available to fill unused slots on Fox. They may also appear in unused slots on ABC, ESPN/2/U. One game for each team will appear on ESPN+.

Other

Oswego County wants a piece of the Micron win. Here’s how it hopes to get it (PS; $; Moriarty)

When Micron Technology announced it had picked a site in Clay for a massive semiconductor plant that would create thousands of jobs, it was a huge win for Onondaga County.

But Onondaga County’s northern neighbor, Oswego County, has its eyes fixed on Micron, too. And it’s hoping to grab a piece of the economic development that Micron’s $100 billion investment would bring to Central New York.

The county wants to nearly double the size of its industrial park off Interstate 481 and County Route 59 in Phoenix to provide “shovel-ready” land that suppliers to the semiconductor industry and other high-value industries could call home.

On Tuesday, it received a hand from Senate Majority Leader Charles Schumer on that front.

Schumer, D-NY, came to the industrial park to launch a push for a $2.5 million federal infrastructure grant for the park. The county’s industrial development agency would provide the other $2.5 million needed to extend the roads, sewers and water lines.

“The time to invest is now, because if we wait too long, companies may go elsewhere,” Schumer said.

The county created the industrial park in 1983. At times, development of the park was slow. But the 135-acre park now lists 10 companies as tenants, including a $9.1 million, 71,000-square-foot fabrication facility built in 2018 by EJ USA, a maker of access solutions, such as utility hole covers, for water, sewer, drainage, telecommunications and other networks worldwide. EJ employs nearly 100 people at the park.

Only 20 acres are available for new development in the park, said Austin Wheelock, executive director of Operation Oswego County, the county’s economic development arm.

In 2021, the county’s industrial development agency bought 185 acres of farmland next to the industrial park for $1.1 million to provide space for the park to grow. The expansion will more than double the size of the park and is situated along 4,000 feet of a CSX rail line.

A year later, Micron announced it plans to build a memory chip fabrication plant off Route 31 in Clay, only eight miles from Oswego County’s industrial park.
3BODNNUQCRFWROFPRKQ2CEE3SM.jpg

Nine Mile Point Nuclear Plant

America’s oldest nuclear plants are in Upstate, and NY needs them. We have some big decisions to make (PS; $; Knauss)

Twice a year, in June and December, 40 sirens scattered around northern Oswego County scream for three minutes to test a warning system that would alert residents if catastrophe struck the nuclear plants at Nine Mile Point.

It’s a periodic reminder of the unique character of nuclear power, where the stakes are high and vigilance is paramount.

Security officers at the plants carry long guns. Employees wear radiation monitors. The spent uranium fuel stored on site must be kept safely away from humans for thousands of years.

Oswego County long ago embraced its role as a nuclear powerhouse. A symbol of the atom lies at the center of the county seal.

But a decision looms over the future of New York’s nuclear power reactors that could have seismic implications for Oswego and New York state. How much longer will the nukes run?

The three reactors in Oswego County, plus a smaller sister plant in Wayne County, are the only remaining nuclear plants in New York. They are key anchors in the electric grid, cranking out more than one-fifth of New York’s electricity.

They also provide 1,800 high-paying jobs in a needy region and pay tens of millions in local property taxes. Their presence helped lure Micron Technology to Central New York.

But the nukes are aging and expensive. Owner Constellation Energy Corp. has received hefty, state-mandated subsidies to keep the plants running since they nearly shut down in 2016 to stop losing money.

The oldest of the four – the 55-year-old Nine Mile Point Unit 1, outside Oswego – is the oldest operating nuclear reactor in the country. The R.E. Ginna plant in Wayne County is second. Their operating licenses expire in 2029.

Constellation must decide soon whether to ask federal regulators to renew their licenses. The government review takes years. If the company obtains 20-year extensions, it could keep the plants running a total of 80 years, rather than the 40 they were originally approved for.

Options on the table for former Syracuse fraternity house as demolition decision delayed (cnycentral.com; Ostrander)
The future of a former fraternity house that’s sparked controversy between Syracuse University and the city is still unknown, but options are on the table.

Syracuse University has plans to demolish the property to build a new dorm, but the city’s landmark preservation board wants the historic building spared.

Syracuse University reveals strategic housing plan, construction beginning this year

The Syracuse Common Council does not want to rush a decision on the fate of the property. Common Councilor Pat Hogan thinks there’s a potential plan to prevent demolition and instead revitalize the house.

In 2022, Syracuse University bought the former fraternity house at 727 Comstock Ave. and now has plans to demolish it.

Community fights to preserve historical home from demolition plans by Syracuse University

An official from Syracuse University told CNY Central the building does not have enough historical integrity to be saved, claiming there’s too much damage to the structure.

Hogan said he's been in contact with the university and thinks there are options on the table for the city and the school to work together to revamp the property.

Welcome to International Cat Day!

International Cat Day
is a celebration which takes place on 8 August of every year. It was created in 2002 by the International Fund for Animal Welfare. It is a day to raise awareness for cats and learn about ways to help and protect them.

SU News

Overheard at Syracuse football training camp: ‘Man, you talk to your son like that?’ (PS; $; Carlson)

It’s going to be hard for Syracuse offensive coordinator Jeff Nixon to find enough footballs to give opportunities to all of the players the Orange coaching staff has mentioned as expected contributors during the first week of training camp.

One week after Syracuse coach Fran Brown quipped that the Orange could choose to use four tight ends on some plays, Nixon said that he believes in utilizing three or four running backs in his offensive rotation.

Nixon said he doesn’t expect that to change even with the presence of a “bell cow” back in LeQuint Allen that the staff considers ready to play in the NFL.

“I believe in a three, four-back system,” Nixon said on Tuesday. “You’re going to see guys on the field. It’s not just going to be LeQuint. He is our starter. He is our bell cow. But we’re going to rotate guys in there.”

That would mark a significant change in approach. Allen carried the ball 245 times last season. The next-highest total for a running back was Jawuan Price (47) and Ike Daniels (18). Syracuse did utilize Garrett Shrader as a running option. He was second on the team with 113 carries.

Coaches often express hope to utilize depth during training camp practices only to fall back on their top-line players once the games start to count. Still, if Nixon’s preseason vision comes to fruition, there will be roles for others besides Allen.

Freshman Yasin Willis flashed a strong combination of speed and size during the team’s spring game and Syracuse added Nixon’s son, former Washington running back Will Nixon, as a transfer during the offseason.

Will Nixon comes to Syracuse after having spent time at Washington and Nebraska, receiving limited carries in three different college seasons. His father said the coaching staff felt having an older player join Allen in the running back room made for a better combination.

“It’s been business,” Jeff Nixon said of working with his son. “He knows. I ripped into him the first day, the very first practice. Guys were like, ‘Man, you talk to your son like that?’ He knew what the deal was going to be. It’s been great having him here. I like that he’s a fifth-year player, has played in a lot of big football games. He gives us that veteran presence.”

Nixon praised all five of SU’s scholarship running backs, also mentioning Jaden Hart’s development and Malachi James’ speed.

BEZPVZ7FNVG6VEO7LTXENZGKWM.jpg

On hand to celebrate former Syracuse football star Dwight Freeney's induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame last weekend were (L to R): Marlon Greenwood, Duke Pettijohn, former SU and current Buffalo Bills strength coach Hal Luther, Will Hicks, Freeney and James Mungro. (Photo courtesy Will Hicks)Photo courtesy Will Hicks

Inside Dwight Freeney’s Hall of Fame after-party: ‘The most amazing thing I’ve ever been to’ (PS; $; Waters)

Dwight Freeney, the former Syracuse University defensive end, included a shout-out to Will Hicks during his speech at the Pro Football Hall of Fame’s induction ceremony this past weekend.

“You trained me like Rocky Balboa, and you pushed me to my absolute limits,” Freeney said. “My friend, you mean the world to me.”

The nod came as a surprise to the SU football program’s long-time strength and conditioning coach.

“I had no conceivable idea that he was going to mention me in his talk,’’ Hicks said Tuesday. “I kinda choked up then, but at least I held it together.’’

But the celebration of Freeney’s induction and the connection he shares with Hicks didn’t end with Freeney’s speech on Saturday in Canton, Ohio. In fact, it didn’t begin there.

Freeney wanted Hicks to be part of his entire Hall of Fame experience from Friday’s annual jacket dinner, where current Hall of Famers present the new inductees with their gold Hall of Fame jackets, to a Saturday night after-party thrown by the Indianapolis Colts in Freeney’s honor that featured past NFL greats and over-the-top catering.

“It was the most amazing thing I’ve ever been to,’’ Hicks said of the Saturday’s star-studded event. “Imagine the craziest party you’ve ever been to on steroids. You walked in and they had a station of oysters and crab legs and stone crab and this and that.’’

Hicks described his behind-the-scenes experience at the Hall of Fame after speaking to fans on Tuesday at Heritage Hill Brewhouse in Pompey, which served as the final stop on SU’s coaches caravan tour.

On Friday, Hicks got to see hundreds of NFL Hall of Famers at the annual dinner. Bruce Smith, the Buffalo Bills Hall of Famer, helped Freeney slip into his Hall of Fame jacket.

“That was a special moment,’’ Hicks said.

The induction ceremony was held the next day. That’s when Hicks got his shout-out.
Kyle McCord Shares why Syracuse was the Right Fit for his Final Season (nccnews.com; vidio; Hricik)
For three years, quarterback Kyle McCord dawned a red and white jersey. That isn’t the case any longer.

After a successful season with Ohio State, McCord entered the transfer portal and committed to Syracuse football in December. The senior has only one year of eligibility remaining, but is confident he made the right choice.

In fact, McCord was ready to help Orange head coach Fran Brown bring in other transfer portal players after committing.

“When I made my decision, I was all in,” McCord said at ACC Kickoff in Charlotte last week. “Put my recruiting hat on, try to get some other guys out of the portal. It came together extremely nice.”

McCord is from New Jersey and considers playing for Syracuse a homecoming. He’s known about the program for most of his life, and has developed relationships with Brown and the coaching staff prior to making the jump to the Orange.

McCord had his first season as a starting quarterback last year, leading the Buckeyes to a 12-1 record and a Goodyear Cotton Bowl appearance. He had 24 touchdown passes, recorded 3,170 passing yards and only recorded six interceptions.

“I seen him as a winner,” Brown said. “I think Kyle may have lost two games his entire life, once in Little League in the championship, then last year. The kid has just been a winner his entire life.”

Syracuse was picked 12th in the ACC Preseason Poll, but McCord and the Orange are expecting a winning season. And when the starting quarterback runs onto the field at The JMA Wireless Dome on August 31, it’ll be his first time experiencing a Syracuse football game.

“I got a glimpse during the spring game, but it wasn’t even close to full capacity,” McCord said. “So I’m excited to see it in action.”

Kyle McCord Leads Syracuse Football QBs BUT Who Should be the BACKUP? | Syracuse Orange Podcast (youtube; podcast; Locked on Syracuse)
Syracuse Football has a definitive starting quarterback for the 2024 season, Ohio State transfer Kyle McCord. However, Head Coach Fran Brown has said the backup spot is open for competition. Here are the possible candidates: Carlos Del Rio-Wilson, Braeden Davis, Michael Johnson Jr., and Jakhari Williams. Then, the discussion shifts to the best/worst position groups on the team. The tight ends led by Oronde Gadsden look strong, but the defensive line could be worrisome. Jackson Holzer brings on Neil Adler from Inside the Loud House for Part I of this Cuse Football discussion on this edition of the Locked On Syracuse Podcast.

What will Syracuse’s football offense look like? (youtube; podcast; Lindsley)

What will Syracuse’s football offense look like?
Syracuse Football has TWO Quality Backup Running Backs | Syracuse Orange Podcast (youtube; podcast; Locked on Syracuse)
Syracuse Football's running back room looks improved from last season. Head Coach Fran Brown was able to keep All ACC running back LeQuint Allen, and he should remain the starter for the Orange. 2024 Three-star recruit Yasin Willis and three-star Washington transfer Will Nixon should be quality backups behind Allen. 2024 recruits Malachi James and Jaden Hart are future names to keep in my for the Cuse.Jackson Holzer talks about the Cuse Football running backs for the 2024 season on this edition of the Locked On Syracuse Podcast.

Ohio at Syracuse | Week 1 Simulation | College Football 25 (youtube; simulation; Jotaykra Rogers)

The Ohio Bobcats and Syracuse Orange clash for Week 1 of the 2024-2025 College Football Season. The Bobcats and Orange have only met once before in their history dating back to 2021. The Orange taking the game 29-9 on September 4th, 2021.

EA Sports College Football 25 is a video game based on college football, developed by EA Orlando and published by EA Sports. It is a part of the EA Sports College Football game series and the first such game in eleven years since NCAA Football 14 in 2013.

College Football 25 - Stanford vs Syracuse (youtube; simulation; MpalacsMikeyGaming)

College Football 25 - Stanford vs Syracuse
Syracuse vs Rutgers | NCAA Football 06 Syracuse Orange Dynasty | S3:E8 (youtube; sumulation; Playbook Gamer)

Fairly realistic simulation

Syracuse vs Rutgers | NCAA Football 06 Syracuse Orange Dynasty | S3:E8

Why Yasin Willis Will Turn Heads On Offense This Season (orangefizz.net; Papillo)

Syracuse football’s offense this season is already loaded with talent. Whether it’s 3,000-yard passer Kyle McCord, All-ACC tight end Oronde Gadsden II, or even the elusive LeQuint Allen, there will be no shortage of electricity when Fran Brown’s starting 11 hits the field. For a team with so much buzz, there’s going to be a player or two who exceed expectations and make the team that much better. For 2024, look no further than the true freshman running back Yasin Willis.

Willis joins the Orange this season after playing high school football in Montvale, New Jersey, where he was the tenth-ranked prospect in the state. The three-star recruit had offers from Pitt (where he was originally committed), Rutgers, Boston College, and Kentucky before deciding to pick Syracuse, which was most likely impacted by Fran Brown’s influence in the region. The 6-foot-1, 220-pound back finished his high school career with over 1,000 yards each season, including 17 touchdowns in his junior year.

But why is he going to shine at Syracuse this season? Well, SU’s new offensive coordinator Jeff Nixon joins the team aiming to adopt a pro-style offense after spending over a decade in the NFL as a running backs coach. Last season with the New York Giants, Nixon worked hand-in-hand with superstar running back Saquon Barkley and allowed him to shine with over 950 yards on the ground. Willis perfectly fits the mold for a Barkley-type in a Nixon-led offense, so the mix of LeQuint Allen’s elusiveness and Yasin Willis’ power should lead to plenty of opportunities for the true freshman.

Syracuse football: how have other first-year head coaches fared for the Orange? (TNIAAM; Chiappone)

With the Syracuse Orange football team ushering in a new era under coach Fran Brown, there’s a lingering question most fans likely have in the back if their minds.

How is Coach Brown going to be as an in-game coach?

Recruitment success and strong culture building aside, it’s not like Brown brings zero experience to the table. He previously served as defensive backs coordinator for Temple, Rutgers and the national champion Bulldogs. He was under the wing of Georgia coach Kirby Smart, one of the most successful current coaches in the sport. Bringing him to the Orange was clearly an unconventional, but absolutely correct, choice.

Two things can be right at once: the on-field inexperience is a legitimate concern. It might be Brown’s only one. It might partly explain Syracuse’s rankings in the ACC preseason poll, among the oddsmakers and within the national outlets (namely CBS Sports).

We’re not going to speculate, but what we can do is look at the history of the program. What does past precedent say about how Syracuse could fare this upcoming season, Brown’s first at the helm?

The answer: there isn’t really a clear answer.

Dating back to the Ben Schwartzwalder era (for simplicity sake), the numbers look something like this:
First seasons for recent Syracuse football head coaches

Ben Schwartzwalder4-5N/ANo25 years
Frank Maloney2-9N/ANo7 years
Dick MacPherson4-6-1*N/ANo10 years
Paul Pasqualoni10-25-0 (Big East)Hall of Fame Bowl (W)14 years
Greg Robinson1-100-7 (Big East)No4 years
Doug Marrone4-81-6 (Big East)No4 years
Scott Shafer7-64-4 (ACC)Texas Bowl (W)3 years
Dino Babers4-82-6 (ACC)No8 years

Writer’s note: all stats and info according to Sports-Reference.com

Among the names, two coaches really stand out among: Paul Pasqualoni (for all the great reasons) and Greg Robinson (for all the wrong reasons).

Syracuse football's reworked defensive front coming together (247sports.com; Chamberlain)

The Syracuse Orange held their sixth preseason practice Tuesday as it was the second day in pads.

Practice began with an 11-on-11 two-minute drill with both sides of the ball being tested in the uptempo environment. Defensively, with defensive coordinator Elijah Robinson's new scheme installed after spring ball, the Orange are refining the smaller details throughout preseason camp.

"I think we're pretty far along now," said linebacker Derek McDonald. "Especially coming from the spring where we made pretty big strides and I think we're starting to see the small things now."

With Robinson's arrival from Texas A&M, the previous 3-3-5 scheme was scratched for a 4-2-5 scheme.

"I wish this was something that we had been running for a couple of years," McDonald said. "But I think you can get to a point in one year where you can master the defense."

The change brings an extra defensive lineman on the line of scrimmage but drops the strong outside linebacker from the formation. The anchors of this defense linebacker Marlowe Wax, defensive back Justin Barron and defensive lineman Elijah Fuentes-Cundiff will have made their presence felt on and off the field as leaders.

"They are the leaders and this is their team," Robinson said. "Those guys show up everyday and lead, not just on the field but in meeting rooms. Off the field, those guys do all the right things to make my job easy."

Overall, Robinson is proud of where his defense is at as they continue to prepare for the upcoming season and continue to gel together before the Aug. 31 season opener.

"These guys are flying around, they play hard and try to be as physical as they can possibly be," Robinson said. "They are smart and I love the way they keep composed and the energy they bring every day."

From the players' side, Robinson has been embraced by his players as he's molded the defense to the player's needs.

"He's a really good player's coach and he really pushes us every day and challenges us," McDonald said. "It's been fun learning and stepping into that role and seeing how he can make the defense fit us."

As a redshirt junior, McDonald has noticed the development of fellow redshirt freshman linebacker Zyian Moultrie-Goddard throughout the offseason. "He's come a long way and he's big and he's physical," McDonald said. "He's starting to learn the defense and he's playing real aggressive, but I'm excited to see him and everything he does this year."

Overall, the reworked front six will continue to learn and refine small details as they build more game-speed reps during the next three weeks.

"I think moving forward we're going to continue to grow and it's going to be really exciting to watch," McDonald said.

Who Will Replace Braylen Ingraham on the Syracuse Defensive Line? (itlh; Nederveld)

It was recently announced that Syracuse football defensive lineman Braylen Ingraham tore his Achilles, according to various media reports.

He is out for the season, and barring something unexpected, it's the end of his college career. Ingraham transferred to Syracuse before the 2023 season.

In 2023, as a redshirt junior, Ingraham played in all 13 games, recording 16 tackles, three tackles for loss, 0.5 sacks, and two pass deflections, according to SU Athletics. Prior to that, Ingraham spent four years at Alabama, winning the 2020 National Championship, although he later tore his ACL and lateral meniscus, missing the 2021 and 2022 seasons and medically retired in 2022.

Any career-ending injury is awful. But it especially sucks for a guy whose career has already been ravaged by injuries. Additionally, Ingraham was set to be a key contributor and possibly a starter for a Syracuse football defensive line going through changes. Under new defensive coordinator Elijah Robinson, the Orange will move on from their 3-3-5 in favor of a 4-2-5.

This move requires an additional defensive lineman and the position group is already thin with last season's starter Kevon Darton transferring to Arizona. With that, here are some 'Cuse players who I think have to (and will) step up to replace Ingraham.

Syracuse football defensive linemen who will have to step up to replace the injured Braylen
Ingraham.
Dion Wilson Jr.
Dion Wilson Jr. was one of two portal additions for the interior of Syracuse's defensive line (more on the other soon), one that is even more important now. Wilson comes to Upstate New York via one year at New Mexico State and three with Arizona. He started four games a season ago, appearing in 14 while recording 31 tackles, 2.5 tackles for loss, two sacks, and forcing a fumble for an Aggies team that won 10 games and beat Auburn. Wilson stands an impressive 6-foot-5, 296 pounds, and he is a veteran player who I'm high on.

Isaiah Hastings
The other transfer, Isaiah Hastings, comes to the Hill after two years at Alabama. The former four-star prospect was originally committed to Missouri but flipped shortly to Syracuse football after Mizzou defensive coordinator Blake Baker left for LSU. Hastings only played in one game but was a higher-rated transfer than Wilson in the portal and coming out of high school. The Toronto, Ontario, native comes in at 6-foot-4, 294 pounds, and has three years of eligibility remaining.

Syracuse football alum makes WWE Monday Night Raw debut as 'Odyssey Jones' (video) (PS; $; Owens)

After going more than a year without appearing on WWE television, a new day has dawned for former Syracuse football player Omari Palmer.

Palmer, a professional wrestler with the ring name “Odyssey Jones,” made a surprise appearance on Monday Night Raw last night, coming to the aid of The New Day in their tag team match against the Authors of Pain.

Palmer, who was an offensive lineman for the Orange from 2013-2016, signed with World Wrestling Entertainment in 2019. He was assigned to NXT, the WWE’s developmental brand, and given the name Odyssey Jones.

In May last year, Jones was selected in the WWE’s annual “draft” to the Monday Night Raw brand, but did not make any appearances on the program. Instead, he was relegated to “dark” (non-televised) matches. He also made appearances at colleges representing the WWE at its Campus Rush events, part of the WWE’s efforts to recruit college athletes for its “Next In Line” NIL program. He shared highlights from his visits to Notre Dame and Alabama on his Instagram page.

In this year’s WWE Draft in April, he was once again picked by Raw — the WWE’s announcement of his selection on social media misspelled his name as “Oddysey” — but he continued to be absent from television.

That changed Monday night, though, when he came to the aid of Xavier Woods and Kofi Kingston of The New Day in their match against Akam and Rezar of the Authors of Pain. When Karrion Kross attempted to interfere in the match to help AOP, Jones came out of the back and attacked Kross. Then, when Akam and Rezar attacked Woods after The New Day won the match, Jones came to Woods’ aid, at one point lifting both Akam and Rezar up and slamming them to the mat at the same time.

ACC News

2024 ACC Football Preview | Predictions and Picks (youtube; podcat; I Said What I Said)

In this ACC Conference preview and picks video, we look at how the conference stacks up in 2024 to help make you the best bets possible during Money Makin' Time!We take an in-depth look at every single team in the ACC and preview if we think they'll be successful or if they'll struggle.
What we'll learn about NC State football early in the season (youtube; podcast; 99.9 The Fan)
Adam Gold and Chip Patterson of CBS Sports discuss ACC football win totals, including what we'll learn about NC State football early in the season, and why Clemson football is poised to win the ACC Championship.
ONE Florida State lawsuit vs ACC tossed out, doesn't change legal outlook l College Football Podcast (youtube; podcast; Locked on College Football)
Florida State sued the ACC to have its media rights contract become public, but the Florida AG had the case tossed out. Is it going to have any serious ramifications as FSU tries to break free from the grant of rights and leave the ACC?
The Chronicle's 2024 preseason ACC football power rankings (dukechronicle.com; Staff)
College football is almost here, as the ACC slate kicks off in less than three weeks. The Chronicle's football beats are here with their preseason ACC team rankings, with insight on where the Blue Devils fit in and some teams to watch throughout the expanded conference:

Ranjan Jindal

1. Clemson
  2. Miami
  3. Florida State
  4. N.C. State
  5. Virginia Tech
  6. SMU
  7. Louisville
  8. Georgia Tech
  9. Duke
  10. North Carolina
  11. Syracuse
  12. Virginia
  13. Boston College
  14. Cal
  15. Pittsburgh
  16. Wake Forest
  17. Stanford
At the top, I have Clemson and Miami advancing to the ACC Championship. The Tiger defense will be elite once again, but their success is predicated on Cade Klubnik’s decision making and the offensive line protection. If healthy, the receiving core is much improved with two talented freshmen, so that makes the difference for me. Miami’s experienced offensive line and explosive playmakers will be the catalyst to their success, and Preseason ACC Player of the Year Cam Ward will be dynamic. While I still think Florida State is formidable, I predict they take a slight drop due to the influx of talent to the NFL Draft.

I think Duke finishes around the middle of the ACC, and it largely depends on how the Blue Devils fare in some tough league contests at home. My biggest question with the team is the offensive line, but I really like what head coach Manny Diaz has done in the portal to add experience and leadership across the board. The middle-tier ACC teams are so much stronger this year in my opinion, and I could see Duke falling below No. 10 in the league.

There’s a few quarterbacks I’m watching that could elevate their teams and shock some people. One is Haynes King of Georgia Tech, who threw for 2,800 yards last season and has some key weapons around him. Secondly, Thomas Castellanos of Boston College emerged last season after injury, tearing up defenses including Florida State’s, and I’m intrigued to watch him under Bill O’Brien’s offense. Finally, Virginia's Anthony Colandrea, who carved the Blue Devil defense last year for 271 yards and three touchdowns, has elite arm talent and should be even better in his second year. If Tony Muskett starts, he also has great experience for the Cavaliers.

Dom Fenoglio

1. Florida State
  2. Clemson
  3. N.C. State
  4. Louisville
  5. Miami
  6. SMU
  7. Virginia Tech
  8. Georgia Tech
  9. Duke
  10. Cal
  11. North Carolina
  12. Boston College
  13. Syracuse
  14. Wake Forest
  15. Pittsburgh
  16. Virginia
  17. Stanford
In my opinion, the gap between Florida State and Clemson at No. 1 and No. 2 is razor thin. The Tigers came alive during the back half of last season, and I think a competitive showing in Week 1 against Georgia — and a revenge factor on the road against the Seminoles — could fuel a push for the top of the conference. With that being said, I still have Florida State repeating as conference champions.
When it comes to the rest of the conference, I think the ACC is deceptively deep. Any of the teams I have ranked No. 3-7 could make a dark horse run, and even schools like Syracuse and Boston College near the bottom of the ledger cannot be completely overlooked.
Regarding Duke, however, I think Diaz caught a tough break in his first year at the helm. Facing four of my top six programs in consecutive weeks will be a tall task, and the Blue Devils would be lucky to come away with two wins.

Caleb Dudley

1. Florida State
  2. Miami
  3. Clemson
  4. N.C. State
  5. Virginia Tech
  6. Louisville
  7. SMU
  8. Georgia Tech
  9. Syracuse
  10. Duke
  11. North Carolina
  12. Boston College
  13. Virginia
  14. Pittsburgh
  15. Stanford
  16. Cal
  17. Wake Forest
I had the honor of submitting a ballot at ACC Kickoff, and this is how I saw it shaking out. At the top, I have last year’s champs Florida State and in-state rival Miami advancing to the championship game. While the Seminoles lose several key contributors like Keon Coleman and Jared Verse, their roster is still loaded and extremely well coached. The Hurricanes are the team I believe has the most upside in the conference, largely because they sport the best quarterback in the league in my eyes, Washington State transfer Cam Ward. After tearing up the now defunct Pac-12, Ward will have all eyes on him, and I think he will excel under Mario Cristobal.

In terms of the Blue Devils, their placement is largely due not to their own inability, but the stacked nature of the conference. With the amount of returning talent in the league, I find it hard to justify Duke any higher than No. 10 after everything it lost via graduation and the transfer portal. However, Diaz should bring some juice to the program and several transfers like quarterback Maalik Murphy give the Blue Devils increased firepower.

One team I believe could make some noise in the league this year is Syracuse, who went through a complete overhaul during the offseason. After hiring young head coach Fran Brown, Georgia’s former defensive backs coach, the Orange brought in some major contributors through the transfer portal, including former Ohio State quarterback Kyle McCord. Add in star tight end Oronde Gadsden II returning from an injury that sidelined him all of last season, and Syracuse could be a sleeper to watch.

Martin Heintzelman

1. Florida State
  2. Clemson
  3. Miami
  4. N.C. State
  5. Virginia Tech
  6. Louisville
  7. SMU
  8. North Carolina
  9. Syracuse
  10. Duke
  11. Georgia Tech
  12. Cal
  13. Pittsburgh
  14. Boston College
  15. Wake Forest
  16. Virginia
  17. Stanford
There are a lot of questions surrounding the ACC this year. There are new teams in SMU, Cal and Stanford, and new head coaches at Syracuse, Duke and Boston College. The transfer portal has also turned college football on its head, with players able to move much more freely between schools.

That said, there are two constants at the top of the conference: Clemson and Florida State. Both powerhouse schools are currently suing the conference, but have continued to pour money into their programs. The Seminoles brought in some big-time transfers with quarterback DJ Uiagalelei out of Oregon State and wide receiver Malik Benson from Alabama. Notably, Clemson has not utilized the portal well and I think that will give Florida State the edge at the top.

I also think this will be a solid, but not outstanding, year for Duke. The Blue Devils brought in a true arm talent in Murphy, and some high-upside transfers out of smaller programs. There will inevitably be some growing pains with Diaz at the helm, but it certainly won’t be an awful year for Duke football. I will also highlight Virginia Tech as a program that has really turned itself around in recent years and moved closer to its historic strength. Look for the Hokies to have a strong year.

Abby DiSalvo

1. Florida State
  2. Clemson
  3. N.C. State
  4. Miami
  5. Louisville
  6. SMU
  7. Virginia Tech
  8. North Carolina
  9. Duke
  10. Cal
  11. Georgia Tech
  12. Pittsburgh
  13. Syracuse
  14. Boston College
  15. Wake Forest
  16. Virginia
  17. Stanford
Duke has to rebuild its momentum in the 2024 season, and success will largely depend on how quickly Diaz and new roster additions can gel into a powerhouse. That being said, Diaz brings an unprecedented defensive boost to the program, and competition between Murphy and Loftis could push Duke’s offense to new heights. I expect the Blue Devils to come together sooner rather than later and fare well in the middle third of the conference.

Florida State and Clemson have grappled at the top of the ACC for the last thirteen years, and I doubt this season will be any exception. Though the Seminoles lost several key players to the 2024 NFL Draft, they boast a number of talented transfers. Unless Clemson can produce a star receiver for Cade Klubnik, I think Florida State will repeat its ACC title. There’s only one potential caveat: N.C. State has one of the most talented lineups heading into the season. Having added a strong new quarterback, running back, receiver and tight end, the Wolfpack will certainly try to take advantage of any opening at the top of the conference. As for the new additions, SMU, looking to capitalize off recent investments to its program, will likely fare better than a mediocre Cal and a lackluster Stanford.

ACC With 17 Players Named to 2024 Comeback Player of the Year Award Watch List (theacc.com)
The Atlantic Coast Conference had a total of 17 football players named to a “Watch List” for consideration for the 2024 Comeback Player of the Year Award it was announced on Wednesday, August 7, by the College Sports Communicators (formerly CoSIDA) in association with The Associated Press (AP) and the Fiesta Bowl Organization.

Since 2018, the award has recognized college football student-athletes for overcoming injury, illness, or other circumstances. At the conclusion of each season, in a vote by a panel of college football writers, editors, and sports information directors, three college football student-athletes are honored as Comeback Player of the Year Award winners at the Vrbo Fiesta Bowl.

Representing the ACC on the preseason list are linebacker Bryce Steele of Boston College, quarterback CJ Harris of California, wide receiver Cole Turner of Clemson, wide receiver Eli Pancol of Duke, wide receiver Leo Blackburn and defensive lineman Sylvain Yondjouen of Georgia Tech, wide receiver Ja’Corey Brooks and quarterback Tyler Shough of Louisville, quarterback Emory Williams of Miami, quarterback Grayson McCall of NC State, wide receiver Trebor Pena and tight end Oronde Gadsden II of Syracuse, wide receiver Kobe Paysour of North Carolina, defensive end Kam Butler of Virginia, tight end Nick Gallo and wide receiver Ali Jennings of Virginia Tech and wide receiver Donavon Greene of Wake Forest.

The watch list is comprised of 90 college football student-athletes from 68 different schools.

Mike Hollins of Virginia was one of three players to win the award last year.

ACC Representatives on the 2024 Comeback Player of the Year Award Watch List:

Name, School, Class, Position
Bryce Steele, Boston College, Redshirt Junior, LB
CJ Harris, Cal, Redshirt Sophomore, QB
Cole Turner, Clemson, Redshirt Sophomore, WR
Eli Pancol, Duke, Graduate Student, WR
Leo Blackburn, Georgia Tech, Redshirt Junior, WR
Sylvain Yondjouen, Georgia Tech, Redshirt Senior, DL
Ja'Corey Brooks, Louisville, Redshirt Senior, WR
Tyler Shough, Louisville, Redshirt Senior, QB
Emory Williams, Miami, Sophomore, QB
Kobe Paysour, North Carolina, Junior, WR
Grayson McCall, NC State, Graduate Student, QB
Trebor Pena, Syracuse, Redshirt Junior, WR
Oronde Gadsden II, Syracuse, Redshirt Junior, TE
Kam Butler, Virginia, Sixth-Year, DE
Nick Gallo, Virginia Tech, Graduate Student, TE
Ali Jennings, Virginia Tech, Graduate Student, WR
Donavon Greene, Wake Forest, Redshirt Junior, WR

‘Be one of 11’: Reasons why NC State football will reach the College Football Playoff (fayobserver.com; Baxley)
N.C. State is experiencing a renaissance in 2024.

Since January, the Wolfpack has seen its basketball programs advance to the Final Four and its baseball squad reach the College World Series.

Will football keep the revival rolling into the fall as one of the 12 teams in the College Football Playoff?

“We’ve thought about it a lot. One of our sayings now is ‘Be one of 11.’ That’s really one of our big goals — just try to be one of 11 and try to be top 10 to make it there,” said senior defensive lineman Davin Vann.

“We know if we make it there — when we make it there — that we can handle what we need to do.”

Entering its 12th season under head coach Dave Doeren, the Wolfpack is coming off its fourth consecutive season with at least eight victories — a first for the program.

When the Wolfpack takes the field at Carter-Finley Stadium to face Western Carolina on Aug. 29, it’ll carry a top-25 ranking into the matchup as one of the teams listed in the US LBM coaches poll.

If it wants to make the CFP, State will need to win an ACC championship for the first time since 1979 or be ranked in the top 11 of the CFP rankings.

Here are three reasons why the Wolfpack will be one of the teams competing in the expanded College Football Playoff.

NC State’s defense, consistency under Tony Gibson
The loss of linebacker Payton Wilson, an elite “eraser” as Doeren often described him, will sting. But N.C. State’s defense has proven capable of creating consistency as one of the premier units in the ACC.

Under sixth-year defensive coordinator Tony Gibson, the Wolfpack has remarkably kept its core of coaches together on that side of the ball. That continuity has helped N.C. State produce a top 25 defense in each of the last three seasons.

The Wolfpack returns five key contributors, including Vann and All-ACC cornerback Aydan White. It also added several defensive playmakers via the transfer portal, including Auburn transfer Donovan Kaufman and Maryland transfer Tamarcus Cooley.

Despite Wilson’s absence, there’s no reason to expect a major drop-off for N.C. State’s defense.

Grayson McCall, Wolfpack weapons to aid KC Concepcion
It’s no secret N.C. State’s offense was limited in 2023, with wide receiver KC Concepcion serving as one of the Wolfpack’s few weapons in Robert Anae’s debut season as State’s offensive coordinator.

Doeren and the coaching staff addressed those issues in the offseason, adding quarterback Grayson McCall, running back Jordan Waters, wide receiver Noah Rogers and tight end Justin Joly as the key additions via the transfer portal.

After finishing 91st in total offense last season, N.C. State is positioned to take a major leap in production this year. The Wolfpack has a legitimate shot to average 30 points per game for the first time since 2021.

NC State’s schedule includes Clemson, Tennessee … but it’s manageable

With the Wolfpack’s schedule, the wins are there for the taking in 2024. N.C. State has won nine games in four of Doeren’s 11 seasons, but the program has reached double-digit wins just once (2002) in 118 years.

UNC football’s Kaimon Rucker, Power Echols reveal Geoff Collins' mantra for Tar Heels (citizen-times.com; Baxley)
Geoff Collins has brought an energetic personality, aggressive approach and the “Minister of Mayhem” moniker to Chapel Hill.

As North Carolina football’s new defensive coordinator, Collins has also incorporated a mantra that fifth-year senior Kaimon Rucker has taken to heart as the Tar Heels take aim at reversing their defensive woes.

“With Coach Collins coming in and saying, ‘We want to be the best defense in college football,’ we’ve had a lot of guys take on that mantra and really believe it,” said Rucker, an All-ACC pass rusher.

“Now that everybody believes it, we gotta see it and put it to work. When we’ve done that, I’ve seen a lot of guys take that maturity step forward of what we needed them to do. It’s a beautiful sight to see. I’m really excited to see how this defense continues to progress. … I’m really ready to see how this defense rolls into action.”

UNC, which opens the season at Minnesota on Aug. 29, doesn’t have to be “the best defense in college football.” But the Tar Heels have to be better than they’ve been in the last two seasons, particularly in a 2023 campaign that saw them lose five of their last seven games.

In those five losses, UNC allowed an average of 35.4 points per game. The setbacks on that side of the ball prompted head coach Mack Brown to move on from defensive coordinator Gene Chizik in favor of Collins, the Tar Heels’ third defensive coordinator in five years.

Hired in January, Collins made his name as a coach who likes to create chaos: apply as much pressure as possible in as many ways as possible and open up opportunities for defensive backs to make plays.

2024 Saturday TV Slots (RX; HM)

2024 Saturday TV Slots

Here's a little reminder how TV scheduling will work this football season...

Noon3:30
pm
Prime
time
FoxB1G
CBSB1G
NBCNDB1G
ABCSEC
ESPN
Family

The Big Ten are guaranteed to have one game in each of the Saturday time slots: noon on Fox, 3:30 on CBS, and prime time on NBC. They can and will have other games in those time slots on the other networks, but each network has agreed to feature the Big Ten in one slot each. Finally, each B1G team will appear at least twice on the Big Ten Network.

In most cases CBS and NBC will not have anything in the noon time slot, or if they do, it will be a G5 game.

Notre Dame will generally get the 3:30 slot on NBC when they play at home - although some games will be played in prime time.

The SEC is also guaranteed a time slot: 3:30 on ABC. They can and will have other games, sometimes on ABC, usually on ESPN/2/U. One non-conference game for each SEC team will be on ESPN+. SEC teams may also appear on the SEC Network, of course.

The Big XII will be available to fill unused slots on Fox. They may also appear in unused slots on ABC, ESPN/2/U. One game for each team will appear on ESPN+.

Other

Oswego County wants a piece of the Micron win. Here’s how it hopes to get it (PS; $; Moriarty)

When Micron Technology announced it had picked a site in Clay for a massive semiconductor plant that would create thousands of jobs, it was a huge win for Onondaga County.

But Onondaga County’s northern neighbor, Oswego County, has its eyes fixed on Micron, too. And it’s hoping to grab a piece of the economic development that Micron’s $100 billion investment would bring to Central New York.

The county wants to nearly double the size of its industrial park off Interstate 481 and County Route 59 in Phoenix to provide “shovel-ready” land that suppliers to the semiconductor industry and other high-value industries could call home.

On Tuesday, it received a hand from Senate Majority Leader Charles Schumer on that front.

Schumer, D-NY, came to the industrial park to launch a push for a $2.5 million federal infrastructure grant for the park. The county’s industrial development agency would provide the other $2.5 million needed to extend the roads, sewers and water lines.

“The time to invest is now, because if we wait too long, companies may go elsewhere,” Schumer said.

The county created the industrial park in 1983. At times, development of the park was slow. But the 135-acre park now lists 10 companies as tenants, including a $9.1 million, 71,000-square-foot fabrication facility built in 2018 by EJ USA, a maker of access solutions, such as utility hole covers, for water, sewer, drainage, telecommunications and other networks worldwide. EJ employs nearly 100 people at the park.

Only 20 acres are available for new development in the park, said Austin Wheelock, executive director of Operation Oswego County, the county’s economic development arm.

In 2021, the county’s industrial development agency bought 185 acres of farmland next to the industrial park for $1.1 million to provide space for the park to grow. The expansion will more than double the size of the park and is situated along 4,000 feet of a CSX rail line.

A year later, Micron announced it plans to build a memory chip fabrication plant off Route 31 in Clay, only eight miles from Oswego County’s industrial park.
3BODNNUQCRFWROFPRKQ2CEE3SM.jpg

Nine Mile Point Nuclear Plant

America’s oldest nuclear plants are in Upstate, and NY needs them. We have some big decisions to make (PS; $; Knauss)

Twice a year, in June and December, 40 sirens scattered around northern Oswego County scream for three minutes to test a warning system that would alert residents if catastrophe struck the nuclear plants at Nine Mile Point.

It’s a periodic reminder of the unique character of nuclear power, where the stakes are high and vigilance is paramount.

Security officers at the plants carry long guns. Employees wear radiation monitors. The spent uranium fuel stored on site must be kept safely away from humans for thousands of years.

Oswego County long ago embraced its role as a nuclear powerhouse. A symbol of the atom lies at the center of the county seal.

But a decision looms over the future of New York’s nuclear power reactors that could have seismic implications for Oswego and New York state. How much longer will the nukes run?

The three reactors in Oswego County, plus a smaller sister plant in Wayne County, are the only remaining nuclear plants in New York. They are key anchors in the electric grid, cranking out more than one-fifth of New York’s electricity.

They also provide 1,800 high-paying jobs in a needy region and pay tens of millions in local property taxes. Their presence helped lure Micron Technology to Central New York.

But the nukes are aging and expensive. Owner Constellation Energy Corp. has received hefty, state-mandated subsidies to keep the plants running since they nearly shut down in 2016 to stop losing money.

The oldest of the four – the 55-year-old Nine Mile Point Unit 1, outside Oswego – is the oldest operating nuclear reactor in the country. The R.E. Ginna plant in Wayne County is second. Their operating licenses expire in 2029.

Constellation must decide soon whether to ask federal regulators to renew their licenses. The government review takes years. If the company obtains 20-year extensions, it could keep the plants running a total of 80 years, rather than the 40 they were originally approved for.

Options on the table for former Syracuse fraternity house as demolition decision delayed (cnycentral.com; Ostrander)
The future of a former fraternity house that’s sparked controversy between Syracuse University and the city is still unknown, but options are on the table.

Syracuse University has plans to demolish the property to build a new dorm, but the city’s landmark preservation board wants the historic building spared.

Syracuse University reveals strategic housing plan, construction beginning this year

The Syracuse Common Council does not want to rush a decision on the fate of the property. Common Councilor Pat Hogan thinks there’s a potential plan to prevent demolition and instead revitalize the house.

In 2022, Syracuse University bought the former fraternity house at 727 Comstock Ave. and now has plans to demolish it.

Community fights to preserve historical home from demolition plans by Syracuse University

An official from Syracuse University told CNY Central the building does not have enough historical integrity to be saved, claiming there’s too much damage to the structure.

Hogan said he's been in contact with the university and thinks there are options on the table for the city and the school to work together to revamp the property.

USA Today's Andy Patton offers up this game-by-game analysis of how he thinks our season will play out. I think he sells us short by a game or two.