Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
SU News

15656220-mmmain.jpg

Austin Wilson (5) is Moving Up the Depth Chart at QB

AJ Long and Austin Wilson Lead Mitch Kimble in Battle for SU QB Backup Spot (PS; Carlson)

Syracuse quarterback coach Tim Lester said his priority over the next four days of practice will be selecting his backup quarterback from a field led by Austin Wilson and A.J. Long.

Lester said he'll use starter Terrel Hunt sparingly, giving Wilson and Long even reps and significant time with Syracuse's first unit. Mitch Kimble, the fourth competitor for the spot, was once the leader for the job but has fallen behind.

"Austin's been playing the best," Lester said. "A.J. is right there. He probably would have been the No. 2, then his arm got sore. It's still up in the air. We're still a couple days out. Due to A.J. getting tired and me not wanting to mess with that, it's kind of back up again. Mitch struggled for a while but has had a good last week."

SU Football Locks In on Villanova (cnycentral.com; Tamurian)

Can you believe it Central New York?

By the time the next work week is over, it'll officially be Syracuse Football season.

The Orange, of course, kicks off with Villanova on August 29th, a Friday night game at the Carrier Dome.

Between now and then, the Orange is busy preparing for the Wildcats. A squad that Head Coach Scott Shafer called "a very good football team" led by an "excellent" head coach in Andy Talley.

15655986-mmmain.jpg

Steve Ishmael

15654817-mmmain.jpg

Jamal Custis

SU Frosh WR Steve Ishmael and TE Jamal Custis Will Play Immediately (PS; Bailey)

Highly touted Syracuse freshman receivers Jamal Custis and Steve Ishmael will play right away this season, SU offensive coordinator George McDonald said on Tuesday.

Custis, who was switched to the "Y" tight end/wide receiver hybrid positionabout a week and a half ago, will likely be needed with Josh Parris set to undergo surgery for a knee injury. Ishmael has worked his way up the ladder among the outside receivers with his strong hands and consistent play through camp.

"He's going to be out there," McDonald said of Custis. "He's a good player. We're going to give him what he can (handle). We've still got about 10 days left (before the season opener against Villanova), but he'll be out there. I can't give a play count, but we're excited to get him out there."

-c7cdf06af2c19979.JPG

Ashton Broyld (1)

Ashton Broyld Expects Most of His Playing Time Will Come at H-Back (PS; Carlson)

The weekly mystery of where Ashton Broyld will lineup for Syracuse has meandered another direction, with Broyld shifting to H-back and setting up a potential logjam with Brisly Estime for touches and playing time.

Both Broyld and Sean Avant, the two players directly impacted by the switch, said they've swapped spots for practices over the past two weeks.

Broyld's move back to H-back coincided with Estime's sprained ankle and Avant's absence due to nagging injuries, but both players said they expect the change to be a long-term shift.

"I think I'm going to be in the slot," Broyld said. "I'm not really sure, but I'll be wherever they need me to be. I think it's for the better of the team, so I just try to embrace it."

Scott Shafer Hopes Josh Parris Will Return Quickly (PS; Mink)

The knee injury Josh Parris suffered constitutes as a "big loss" in the interim, but head coach Scott Shafer sounded hopeful his top tight end would return "quickly."
Shafer did not put a time frame on Parris' availability because he can't be certain how he will respond during rehab following this week's surgery. He did, however, indicate Parris won't be lost for the entire season.

"He's got a little clicking in his knee, so we got it checked out, had a little cartilage thing," Shafer said following Tuesday's practice. "Hopefully it's something (doctors) can just go in and clean up and get him back quickly very similar to Adly (Enoicy).

Josh Parris Will Need Surgery for Lower Body Injury (PS; Mink)

Syracuse tight end Josh Parris is scheduled to undergo surgery Wednesday after suffering an unspecified lower-body injury, Syracuse athletics announced Tuesday.

His availability for the 2014 season will be evaluated in the coming weeks.

It's a significant loss for the Orange. Parris, a redshirt sophomore from Stone Mountain, Ga., was the clear No. 1 option at tight endentering the season. He appeared in all 13 games last year and scored the game-winning touchdown in the waning seconds of the regular-season finale against Boston College, sending Syracuse to a bowl game.

Observations From Practice: Jamal Custis, Michael Lasker Now Working with First Team Offense, etc. (PS; Bailey)

With Josh Parris preparing to undergo surgery for a lower-body injury and Kendall Moore not participating fully in practice due to injury, freshman Jamal Custis worked as the first-team tight end in 11-on-0 drills at practice on Tuesday.

Custis, who was moved to the "Y" about a week and a half ago, could be forced into early playing time this season depending on the severity of the injuries to Parris and Moore. Moore, who SU head coach Scott Shafer said missed practice with a sprained ankle on Aug. 8, has been nagged by injuries through camp. He participated in drill work on Tuesday.

The rest of the Y group includes Clay Cleveland, Tyler Provo, PJ Batten, Jacob Green and Cameron MacPherson.

Jamal Custis Working with Tight Ends, Could be Used in Red Zone Situations (PS; Bailey)

Shortly before Syracuse's Fan Fest scrimmage on Aug. 9, freshman receiver Jamal Custis was told by coaches that he would be switching to tight end, at least for the time being.

Custis said he has practiced exclusively with the "Y" group since then, joining tight ends coach Bobby Acosta's group for positional meetings and film study as well. But ultimately, Custis said the plan is for him to be pushed back out wide at some point in the future.

For now, the 6-foot-5 target believes his versatility playing two positions could get him onto the field faster this season.

"That's definitely how I saw it," Custis said on Tuesday. "(Head coach Scott Shafer) told me that it was going to give me an opportunity to be on the field a lot, playing two positions. So I took the thought of playing Y, and I embraced it."

15652096-mmmain.jpg

Rodney Williams Has Had a Spectacular Training Camp

SU Frosh Safety Rodney Williams Expects to Play Nickelback in Okie Package (PS; Bailey)

Rodney Williams' performance in Syracuse's scrimmage at Fort Drum last Thursday was easily one of the biggest surprises from the trip. The freshman safety intercepted starting quarterback Terrel Hunt, deflected away another three passes and made a series of impressive tackles.

Williams' play sparked the question: could he find a way on to the field this year even behind Durell Eskridge, Ritchy Desir, Darius Kelly and Chauncey Scissum? He thinks so.

"That's up to the coaching staff," Williams said, "but I believe that I will play in the nickel in the Okie on 3rd-and-longs, stuff like that. And if Durell or Ritchy get tired, I might get in the rotation at safety."

Former Players

Macky MacPherson Works to Make Buffalo Bills Roster (PS; Bailey)

Macky MacPherson experienced his welcome-to-the-NFL moment on the first day of full pads during the Buffalo Bills training camp.

Practicing third-down formations on a silent count, MacPherson looked up at an "insane looking" defense with a three-man front before each snap. He then put his head down, counted off, snapped and would look up to find an entirely different formation.

"It was just one of those things where I learned that I can't do it all, and I have to rely on the guys next to me to help make some calls for me when everyone's walking around like that," MacPherson said on Friday.

Last edited: