For some reason, I can not dislike Clemson | Syracusefan.com

For some reason, I can not dislike Clemson

SmilinBob

Living Legend
Now that SU is in the ACC for a while, the only team that I have a hard time disliking is Clemson. Their fans are friendly and support them home and away , the coaching staff is all class and they wear orange which should bug me put doesn't mostly because they add purple which I'm a fan of. I like this kind of "rivalry" (have to beat them more to be one) and the beauty part is this year if SU wins we root for the Tigers to win out. If SU loses we root for Clemson to win out.

As for the other schools, there isn't one I would like to see SU crush to the ground and along with that have multiple annoying things that go with them and each of us know what they are from Pittsburgh to Boston and then down the beautiful Atlantic, those schools, they are mud to me for many and various reasons.

Now back to the Tigers. I'd like to see if we can think of a trophy for the winner. A battle of orange maybe thrown in some way. The Dino/Dabo Trophy? Hopefully from now on, we'll just call the winner of this game......The Champion of the Atlantic Division.

Last edited:
I have a very good friend who is a Clemson alumna/diehard fan so I've always rooted for them to do well (other than against Syracuse of course). I agree there is something about them that makes the team very likeable and easy to root for.

Now that SU is in the ACC for a while, the only team that I have a hard time disliking is Clemson. Their fans are friendly and support them home and away , the coaching staff is all class and they wear orange which should bug me put doesn't mostly because they add purple which I'm a fan of. I like this kind of "rivalry" (have to beat them more to be one) and the beauty part is this year if SU wins we root for the Tigers to win out. If SU loses we root for Clemson to win out.

As for the other schools, there isn't one I would like to see SU crush to the ground and along with that have multiple annoying things that go with them and each of us know what they are from Pittsburgh to Boston and then down the beautiful Atlantic, those schools, they are mud to me for many and various reasons.

Now back to the Tigers. I'd like to see if we can think of a trophy for the winner. A battle of orange maybe thrown in some way. The Dino/Dabo Trophy? Hopefully from now on, we'll just call the winner of this game...The Champion of the Atlantic Division.

I tend to agree, tough to dislike Dabo as well. Dude is a class act

I was hiking in the desert recently and got bitten by a snake. Lucky for me, the next hiker on the path was a Clemson fan. He sucked the venom from my wound, applied a poultice he fashioned from some bark and cactus sap, then left me with his canteen and some jerky as went to get help.

Class act

I used to date a Clemson undergrad when I was in grad school in the south. I've been to more Clemson football games than any other school other than Cuse. Any fan base has their unsavories but in general, I agree, I found Clemson fans to be welcoming and friendly (and respectful of visiting fans).

One year I went to tailgate before a home game at Death Valley that included a triple-bill concert of Edwin McCain (in his pre-cheese days), Drivin' 'n' Cryin', and Run DMC. Bunch of beer and food and tons of fans (Tiger and visiting) having a good ol' time. I mean, if that isn't southern hospitality, I don't know what is.

I also like Clemson football and have since Woody clocked Charlie Bauman in the '78 Gator Bowl. Also, Dabo is a class act and one of my favorite coaches in college football.

download.jpg

I was hiking in the desert recently and got bitten by a snake. Lucky for me, the next hiker on the path was a Clemson fan. He sucked the venom from my wound, applied a poultice he fashioned from some bark and cactus sap, then left me with his canteen and some jerky as went to get help.

Class act
tenor.gif

Me either. Dabo is without a doubt my second favorite coach. I like Clemson.

My son's best friend just moved outside Greenville. I told my son if he wants to look into going to school at Clemson I would have no problem with it.

Yes we are very lucky to have a program like this on our schedule. Playing them in football is like playing Duke in hoops and why we joined the league. Especially now we've beat them. I can't root against them when its not us they are playing.

I want them to hate us though and to kick start a rivalry by derailing seasons when the are Natty contenders like this year. I figure main ACC rival is on the table for them you know they hate SC and UGA more than FSU or GT I'd like to edge those two out and have Cuse-Clemson be the top billing in the ACC.

I don't hate them but I dislike them. I have met a handful of their fans. Some very nice. Some cocky. They all seem to have one thing in common and that Syracuse is not much of a football school and we don't bring a lot to their conference. They recognize our past (some just laugh, and do not) but still we aren't good enough. We got lucky with a gimmicky offense and probably won't ever beat them again. The ACC is mostly about Yankee basketball and they could do much better if the conference would have gotten better football schools or kick teams out. Honestly I don't think many Clemson fans know that much about us. The respect is not there imo. To the Clemson fans that come on here, you guys are a mature bunch. Every fan base has the good and the bad.

If you watch Brent Venables for more than a minute on the sideline your opinion might change

I don't dislike them and, from what I've seen, I like Dabo. He seems like a class act. I don't think we can know yet exactly how their fans are. If we can start to beat them enough that this becomes a rivalry, we'll see their true colors, if they're any different than what we've already seen. As of now they have had little reason to hate us.

Agreed. I root for Clemson in every game that is not against Syracuse. I really like Dabo, and the fans I have had interaction with on and off this board have been good peeps with none of that Ohio State or WVU type of douchebaggery. Now that FSU has a huge rebuild and after Syracuse makes it a real rivalry in death valley saturday I look forward to becoming the game they circle on their schedule every year. Too much to ask?

Agreed. I root for Clemson in every game that is not against Syracuse. I really like Dabo, and the fans I have had interaction with on and off this board have been good peeps with none of that Ohio State or WVU type of douchebaggery. Now that FSU has a huge rebuild and after Syracuse makes it a real rivalry in death valley saturday I look forward to becoming the game they circle on their schedule every year. Too much to ask?

Well, it is too much to ask.

If we become uniformly good and generally competitive, Clemson fans might have an increased level of interest in the game. But we are a long way from that.

Football in the South (as I'm sure you know) is a different animal than it is in the North.

In one respect it's more important, more widely followed and more central to people's lives.

But at the same time there's a good-natured, fun aspect to the rivalries. Most of the time they seem to take it seriously, but not personally. It's as if they realized that without these rivals, football wouldn't be as much fun.

Years ago I went to Alabama and spent a football weekend with an Auburn family. Everybody in the State had to decide what side of the Alabama - Auburn divide they were on. Everybody talked about football all the time. You couldn't go through a check out line in a store without getting into a conversation about it.

But even though they were so involved in it, there wasn't the nasty edge that there was between the fan bases I was used to in the North (Georgetown v. SU, Pitt vs WVU or Penn State)

Well, it is too much to ask.

If we become uniformly good and generally competitive, Clemson fans might have an increased level of interest in the game. But we are a long way from that.

Football in the South (as I'm sure you know) is a different animal than it is in the North.

In one respect it's more important, more widely followed and more central to people's lives.

But at the same time there's a good-natured, fun aspect to the rivalries. Most of the time they seem to take it seriously, but not personally. It's as if they realized that without these rivals, football wouldn't be as much fun.

Years ago I went to Alabama and spent a football weekend with an Auburn family. Everybody in the State had to decide what side of the Alabama - Auburn divide they were on. Everybody talked about football all the time. You couldn't go through a check out line in a store without getting into a conversation about it.

But even though they were so involved in it, there wasn't the nasty edge that there was between the fan bases I was used to in the North (Georgetown v. SU, Pitt vs WVU or Penn State)
You should listen to the Paul Finebaum show. They have some crazies in that rivalry. See the guy that killed the trees at Toomer's Corner.

Agreed. I actively cheer for Clemson in most of their games when I watch. And aside from a handful of their fans that have come here over the years, they've been great.

Everyone who just said the word rival in conjunction with Clemson should give yourself a 1 week self-ban. We sound like Rutgers after they beat us for the first time in 20 years. Clemson's rival isn't even in the ACC, it's the Gamecocks or Coots as they are better known to the Tigers. We are nowhere near Clemson's level and to even think we have a rivalry developing with them is crap. Most of them don't even consider us a serious competitor let alone rival. To them we are a basketball school taking some of their ACC money. Don't imagine for 1 second they see us as anymore than that. It would take years to change it. Pitt beat them in 2016, do they have a rivalry too? Nah, didn't think so.

You should listen to the Paul Finebaum show. They have some crazies in that rivalry. See the guy that killed the trees at Toomer's Corner.

Of course. There's crazies everywhere. But the exception does not prove the rule.

I'll stick with my observation that there's a good-natured element of these Southern school fan bases that many Northern ones don't evidence.

When we had a two game series with Auburn a few years ago, I thought the conversation between the two fan bases was oe of the most intelligent and generally positive ones we have ever had with the fans of any opponent. And we began with the "Tie Dyed" Sugar Bowl game as a starting point.

That's when I started to think, "These people really are different". How many other fan base's can you say at the end of the conversation, "I understand what they are saying and I respect their opinion".

Everyone who just said the word rival in conjunction with Clemson should give yourself a 1 week self-ban. We sound like Rutgers after they beat us for the first time in 20 years. Clemson's rival isn't even in the ACC, it's the Gamecocks or Coots as they are better known to the Tigers. We are nowhere near Clemson's level and to even think we have a rivalry developing with them is crap. Most of them don't even consider us a serious competitor let alone rival. To them we are a basketball school taking some of their ACC money. Don't imagine for 1 second they see us as anymore than that. It would take years to change it. Pitt beat them in 2016, do they have a rivalry too? Nah, didn't think so.

You only play 7 teams regularly in the ACC the other 6 might as well be in another conference you'll only get them in your stadium once every 12 years. It could happen we just have to rack up the wins...while they are good and not rebuilding see FSU win this year. If buttgers or uconn knocked us off regularly in the 90s and not just the Robinson era we'd take them seriously b/c of it.