For the First Time EVER: Notre Dame Discusses what team is 16 in ACC | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

For the First Time EVER: Notre Dame Discusses what team is 16 in ACC

We all saw how the hybrid model worked out for the BE (RIP). ND is the only school that the ACC should consider for this. GT/Navy? No thanks.

I suggested ND & GU/Navy 9 months ago and was called a troll and got my thread deleted. Weird how all the sudden it is a viable option amongst the ND faithful (who will ultimately decide the 16th member).
The ND faithful will decide who the 16th member of the ACC is? Gee, you mean our board won't have a say in it too?! This board should decide...not the ND board!

I could have seen Georgetown going for this in the past, but now that the catholics are the New, New, etc. Big East, I don't see them being interested in such a proposition.

I could have seen Georgetown going for this in the past, but now that the catholics are the New, New, etc. Big East, I don't see them being interested in such a proposition.
Agree. They want stability and being in a conference of like members is more stable than being an anomaly in the ACC...even if the ACC wants them...and I don't think it will.

I'd think of it as two schools splitting one spot, so 1/16 basketball only, 1/16 football only.
In terms of payout, then I agree. In terms of voting, then I don't see that happening. Votes often affect football and basketball, so dividing votes into football issues and non-football issues doesn't work. You could give Navy a .8 vote and Georgetown a .2 vote, but that seems silly, and would pretty much have the same effect as giving them a full vote. To get >50% would still take 8 schools plus one of GU or Navy. It would matter for a 2/3 vote, but even then, it would not be a huge deal.

You may be right, but everyone has a price. It just depends on what their price is and what the ACC would pay.

We all saw how the hybrid model worked out for the BE (RIP). ND is the only school that the ACC should consider for this. GT/Navy? No thanks.
No. we saw how a 8/16 hybrid model worked in the BIG EAST. A 1/17 model is completely different. Not only does a 8/16 model ensure that one side can always block any major move (those require 2 3rds of the vote), but it even ensures that there is gridlock on minor moves that only require a > 50% vote. A 1/17, model doesn't have either of those problems. In fact, it is MUCH closer to the Pac model of hybrid* than the BIG EAST model, and the Pac model has been wildly successful.**

*Hybrid schools can't vote in the Pac.
**The Pac has more championships than any other conference.

No. we saw how a 8/16 hybrid model worked in the BIG EAST. A 1/17 model is completely different. Not only does a 8/16 model ensure that one side can always block any major move (those require 2 3rds of the vote), but it even ensures that there is gridlock on minor moves that only require a > 50% vote. A 1/17, model doesn't have either of those problems. In fact, it is MUCH closer to the Pac model of hybrid* than the BIG EAST model, and the Pac model has been wildly successful.**

*Hybrid schools can't vote in the Pac.
**The Pac has more championships than any other conference.
I assume you are talking about the Pac-12, correct/ Who is an associate/not full member of the Pac-12?

I assume you are talking about the Pac-12, correct/ Who is an associate/not full member of the Pac-12?
Yes, I'm scratching my head on that too. I'm guessing nzm is referring to a hybrid contract, where some rights are shared and others aren't. So, you could have a football contract that includes Navy, but not GTown, and a basketball contract that includes Gtown, but not Navy.

Don't have all the details, but the PAC-12 has an associate member in wrestling--Boise St. There may be more examples.

I suggested ND & GU/Navy 9 months ago and was called a troll and got my thread deleted. Weird how all the sudden it is a viable option amongst the ND faithful (who will ultimately decide the 16th member).
Do you really think that "the ND faithful" will decide ND's athletic future? Be careful. You're tilting dangerously toward a Dude-like mind-set.

Yes, I'm scratching my head on that too. I'm guessing nzm is referring to a hybrid contract, where some rights are shared and others aren't. So, you could have a football contract that includes Navy, but not GTown, and a basketball contract that includes Gtown, but not Navy.
No. TV payouts and voting rights are two very different things. GU + Navy would equal one slot for TV payouts, but they would each get one vote. In other words payouts would be split 16 ways (full members would get a full share, GU would get a .2 share, and Navy would get a .8 share), but voting would split 17 different ways.

The Pac-12 has a number of associate members, including Boise State, Cal Tech, CSU Bakersfield, SDSU, and UC SB. However, none of them have votes. Navy and GU would have opposite interests, so only one of them would vote like an associate member at any given time. Since 1/17 = 5.9%, making GU/Navy* an associate member and giving them a vote would be the functionally the same thing as the Pac which doesn't give associate members votes. It would be very different than the BIG EAST, where 50% of the votes were associate members.

*Depending on which one was acting like an associate member.

Do you really think that "the ND faithful" will decide ND's athletic future? Be careful. You're tilting dangerously toward a Dude-like mind-set.
Do you really think that they won't? They dictate what ND does, and there is a very, very good chance that ND will dictate what the ACC does. If ND told the ACC that they would immediately join if ____ was added, do you honestly think that ____ wouldn't get an ACC invite by tomorrow? And if ND felt that they could increase revenues and make their fans happy by joining the ACC with ____, what are the odds that Jack wouldn't call the ACC and offer to join if ___ was also invited? To think that the power of the purse doesn't matter is silly.

Obviously that day hasn't come yet. ND would lose money by joining the ACC and it would upset many ND fans, but arguing whether it will happen soon and whether it would happen are two different things.

Do you really think that they won't? They dictate what ND does, and there is a very, very good chance that ND will dictate what the ACC does. If ND told the ACC that they would immediately join if ____ was added, do you honestly think that ____ wouldn't get an ACC invite by tomorrow? And if ND felt that they could increase revenues and make their fans happy by joining the ACC with ____, what are the odds that Jack wouldn't call the ACC and offer to join if ___ was also invited? To think that the power of the purse doesn't matter is silly.

Obviously that day hasn't come yet. ND would lose money by joining the ACC and it would upset many ND fans, but arguing whether it will happen soon and whether it would happen are two different things.
"[the ND faithful] dictate what ND does"? Not hardly. Maybe some of the über boosters, and certainly the trustees, and maybe even the faculty--they were a big negative vote when it looked like ND to the B1G ~15 years ago. Those groups would have input. But members of the hoi polloi, like me (and maybe you)? We buy tickets, make (comparatively small) contributions, and bich about many things concerning our team. But we dictate nothing.

"[the ND faithful] dictate what ND does"? Not hardly. Maybe some of the über boosters, and certainly the trustees, and maybe even the faculty--they were a big negative vote when it looked like ND to the B1G ~15 years ago. Those groups would have input. But members of the hoi polloi, like me (and maybe you)? We buy tickets, make (comparatively small) contributions, and bich about many things concerning our team. But we dictate nothing.
ND football revenues are up by 60% this year. That isn't because the big donors are giving 60% more. To think that the billion small-time ND fans are irrelevant is silly. Individually they are, but not in the aggregate.

It was more than that. It was that the ND faithful would actually decide who the 16th member of the ACC would be!

the ND faithful (who will ultimately decide the 16th member).

i'm not sure how reputable their scout board is. i believe ndnation is their more reputable board.

It was more than that. It was that the ND faithful would actually decide who the 16th member of the ACC would be!
So you mean to imply that ND never gets their way and/or that they would never cater to the people that pay their bills?

If so, see BIG EAST 1996-2013, and ACC 2013- foreseeable future.

ND fans have a little more say on a) whether there will be a #16, and b) who #16 is, than other ACC fans.

[Assuming ND fans ARE ACC fans, of course]

"A hybrid G-Town/Navy sounds great, hybrids made us who we are today" said the AAC and Big East.

"A hybrid G-Town/Navy sounds great, hybrids made us who we are today" said the AAC and Big East.
"You're wrong"
-the $21,000,000 TV check every Pac-12 school cashes every year

So you mean to imply that ND never gets their way and/or that they would never cater to the people that pay their bills?

If so, see BIG EAST 1996-2013, and ACC 2013- foreseeable future.
Not sure I implied anything. I quoted someone. ND admin. will certainly cater to the people that pay their bills. That does not mean ND fans will decide who the next ACC member is. The ACC schools' admins. and ACC brass will...even if ND has a preference. It's still gotta make sense $$-wise to the rest of the schools. Even ND is going to want to maximize revenue...and so it's not going to want a schools just because it's a "buddy" school. It's going to want a school that makes them money.

The headquarters for the AAC is STILL based in Providence. [Greenville would be a much better choice]. When the headquarters for the ACC gets moved from Greensboro to South Bend THEN you can sound the alarm. Otherwise, it just ain't the same.