For the First Time EVER: Notre Dame Discusses what team is 16 in ACC | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

For the First Time EVER: Notre Dame Discusses what team is 16 in ACC

If you took Navy/GTown, FSU's feather-bonneted head would explode.

No hybrids, and certainly not Navy/GTown.

If you want football, go get WVU. If you want basketball, go get Yukon. If you want location, go get Maryland back, or Buttgers, or even Temple. If you want academics, go get Vandy. If you want name brand, go get PSU. All of these teams get tossed out there, and every one of them has a downside (or two). WVU would jump at the chance, but I wonder what they would have to pay. Yukon, brings basketball but little else other than Olympic sports. No name brand for football. Redundant in location. (F Yukon.). Can't imagine Maryland would bounce back. Buttgers is where they want to be, and good riddance. PSU isn't leaving the B1G. Vandy isn't leaving the SEC. Temple may be in a nice complementary market, but bring little to no fans, and no football. But no freaking HYBRIDS!

As a Dad with two kids who received their commission through the Service Academies...I just chuckle at thinking Navy can be competitive in Olympic Sports. The main reason they are somewhat competitive in football is due to the fact they use the prep school to redshirt kids and have no recruiting restrictions. They can literally offer 60 kids a chance to play football every year. Those too small or needing extra academic work can go for a year to the prep school...others can play JV Football. Outta those 50-60 marginal D-1, D-1AA or D-2 players some become legit 1-A players in that funky option they run. The 25/85 rule does not apply to Service Academies.

If Notre Dame ever comes in for all sports...you offer them Navy for FB only and cherry pick GTown, Nova or SJU from the Big East.

I also agree that the ACC will go to 9 games a year with 16 teams...you need to give ND the option to play 2 or 3 of their traditional .
If you took Navy/GTown, FSU's feather-bonneted head would explode.

No hybrids, and certainly not Navy/GTown.

If you want football, go get WVU. If you want basketball, go get Yukon. If you want location, go get Maryland back, or Buttgers, or even Temple. If you want academics, go get Vandy. If you want name brand, go get PSU. All of these teams get tossed out there, and every one of them has a downside (or two). WVU would jump at the chance, but I wonder what they would have to pay. Yukon, brings basketball but little else other than Olympic sports. No name brand for football. Redundant in location. (F Yukon.). Can't imagine Maryland would bounce back. Buttgers is where they want to be, and good riddance. PSU isn't leaving the B1G. Vandy isn't leaving the SEC. Temple may be in a nice complementary market, but bring little to no fans, and no football. But no freaking HYBRIDS!
Mark - we (continually :)) agree to disagree about this. ND, as it stands now, is as close to 'hybrid' as I want to go. I agree with All4 - no freaking HYBRIDS!

Mark - we (continually :)) agree to disagree about this. ND, as it stands now, is as close to 'hybrid' as I want to go. I agree with All4 - no freaking HYBRIDS!

My only point is if Notre Dame comes in for FB...you run down your courses of actions. Notre Dame might say invite Navy...if that is the case you do it. I doubt ND comes in for all sports and the ACC stays pat at 15. Ofcourse Penn State then Maryland would be the best option...but you explore the pro/cons of whatever Notre Dame prefers. If it is a Navy/GTown hybrid you do it. That was my point. I don't think Navy for all sports is viable. They can compete in Lax and crew and very little else.

BTW, Orange79: You just made the list.

My only point is if Notre Dame comes in for FB...you run down your courses of actions. Notre Dame might say invite Navy...if that is the case you do it. I doubt ND comes in for all sports and the ACC stays pat at 15. Ofcourse Penn State then Maryland would be the best option...but you explore the pro/cons of whatever Notre Dame prefers. If it is a Navy/GTown hybrid you do it. That was my point. I don't think Navy for all sports is viable. They can compete in Lax and crew and very little else.

I'm as light as anyone can be. :D

And it was All4 who used the exclamation point. I just quoted him. ;)

Oooooooooooooooo! :)

Here's the thing. "All-in" doesn't have a precise meaning anymore. The ACC HAS accepted a semi-partial member, ND IS no longer entirely independent. Which is not bad at all. Consider the varying degrees of more-in:

1. The "Shamrock Series" [Neutral site in a major metropolitan area] is converted to a sixth ACC game
2. Navy is added to the ND 4 team pod (FB only of course)
3. Seven games is enough for a divisional, and ergo, a conference championship

Is that "all-in"? I say yes, just barely.

Fair enough.