For the Marrone hates Syracuse crew | Syracusefan.com

For the Marrone hates Syracuse crew

We all know he only signed him to cut him later. Dude is evil.
As you may know I was able to meet with Dougie a few weeks before he started his coaching duties for real. It was the day the Greg Paulus thing was announced. He was here in LAwith Chris Gedney. During the meet he said something in a cold dispatched manner that really caught my attention because of how he said this" I won't play anyone if they won't help me to win." Now that sounds perfectly reasonable, It was the tone and coldness that struck me as being a bit off or odd. He was PR friendly and took a picture with me while kneeling next to me in the chair.Chris was very friendly but very aware of who the boss was and did everything possible not to encroach on his boss' periphery during the session at the ESPN Center. This n't a knock on Dougie. It was only an observation into his thinking I strongly believe.he showed all of his range of emotions that day, probably unknowingly.

An article in today's Buffalo News profiles John Murphy, the Bills play-by-play guy and an SU alum. He's also a personal friend of Michigan BB coach John Beilein. When FHCDM heard that Murph was rooting for his friend over SU in the NCAA tournament he gave him a hard time about being loyal to his alma mater.
So, does Doug still love SU, despite the way he left us? In his mind he does.

During the meet he said something in a cold dispatched manner that really caught my attention because of how he said this" I won't play anyone if they won't help me to win."

Heavens to Betsy! How dare he?!

I'm not sure anyone thinks he hates Syracuse. But I think some of us do think it's pretty clear that Dougie loves Dougie at the expense of just about anything. His media relations make him look like an overgrown 3 year old. Definitely not the only one of those around, but he was our overgrown 3 year old. Glad he was here and got his way for a while, and glad he's gone since the new regime seems better suited to the college game. As much as I find him personally repugnant, I hope (but don't expect) that he does well in Buffalo as it is modestly positive for SU if he does well.

I also don't understand why everyone gets their undergarments in a twist when people criticize DM. It's open season on here when McNabb comes up - who's the better Syracuse product Donovan McNabb with his many years of leading his team to the NFC championship game despite inferior talent, or a .500 coach quit before the job was done? Everyone seems universally positive on Shafer and the future, so the forward looking focus is there. Personally I love it when the Doug bashers get to pounce on a headline, it's pretty funny and certainly not something people should worry about. Holding him sacred seems to me unwarranted. Feel free to love him if you want as well.

I'm not sure anyone thinks he hates Syracuse. But I think some of us do think it's pretty clear that Dougie loves Dougie at the expense of just about anything. His media relations make him look like an overgrown 3 year old. Definitely not the only one of those around, but he was our overgrown 3 year old. Glad he was here and got his way for a while, and glad he's gone since the new regime seems better suited to the college game. As much as I find him personally repugnant, I hope (but don't expect) that he does well in Buffalo as it is modestly positive for SU if he does well.

I also don't understand why everyone gets their undergarments in a twist when people criticize DM. It's open season on here when McNabb comes up - who's the better Syracuse product Donovan McNabb with his many years of leading his team to the NFC championship game despite inferior talent, or a .500 coach quit before the job was done? Everyone seems universally positive on Shafer and the future, so the forward looking focus is there. Personally I love it when the Doug bashers get to pounce on a headline, it's pretty funny and certainly not something people should worry about. Holding him sacred seems to me unwarranted. Feel free to love him if you want as well.

Do you give other coaches a pass on their relations with the media?

I'm not sure there's a camp that actually believes Marrone hates Syracuse. Now, a Marrone is a camp... That has serious membership.

I also don't understand why everyone gets their undergarments in a twist when people criticize DM. It's open season on here when McNabb comes up - who's the better Syracuse product Donovan McNabb with his many years of leading his team to the NFC championship game despite inferior talent, or a .500 coach quit before the job was done?
At this point it's just fun. I don't understand why it's so hard for some to acknowledge it, but the irrational man love for Marrone on this board was pretty thick for a long time.

So yeah, there are a few of us enjoying the chance to go over the top on things related to Marrone now because it's funny. It balances the universe.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

At this point it's just fun. I don't understand why it's so hard for some to acknowledge it, but the irrational man love for Marrone on this board was pretty thick for a long time.

So yeah, there are a few of us enjoying the chance to go over the top on things related to Marrone now because it's funny. It balances the universe.

I get it, you think making the guy a punch line somehow vindicates you being wrong about he wasd doing his job. And please stop with the nonsense about "irrational man love". It's a BS strawman.

I get it, you think making the guy a punch line somehow vindicates you being wrong about he wasd doing his job. And please stop with the nonsense about "irrational man love". It's a BS strawman.
First, Marrone's quirks make him in to a punchline. Not me or anyone else.

Second, you have no choice but to call it a strawman because you were the President and founding member of the Marrone Man Love Fan Club, Go. If you deny it, you're lying to yourself.

Third, I actually was vindicated, because all along what I posted about during Marrone's time as coach was that maybe we should pump the breaks a bit on the guy and let his achievements catch up to the accolades so many people were lining up to give him. How many threads prematurely annointed him as Syracuse's pigskin response to Boeheim as an institutional lifer and legend, or a master disciplinarian that wouldn't suffer from off field problems everyone else does, or claimed him to be some kind of mastermind recruiter who brought in 2 stars better than everyone else's recruits, or that Marrone was bestowed with some kind of moral superiority and goodness because he was a true "Syracuse guy" that just wanted to succeed at his dream job? Those threads happened, and now we're seeing some backlash on the board because people are coming over to the idea that it just got out of hand.

My big fear now is that we do the same thing to Shafer.

Sanctimonious people conveniently forget that he took a job with nobody else WANTED or was even WILLING to take and quickly turned Syracuse bacj into a winning team. Without Doug Marrone we'd still be the Washington Generals of college football

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

Sanctimonious people conveniently forget that he took a job with nobody else WANTED or was even WILLING to take and quickly turned Syracuse bacj into a winning team. Without Doug Marrone we'd still be the Washington Generals of college football

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2
This is a perfect example of the mythology around Marrone.

This is a perfect example of the mythology around Marrone.

And yet, he took us out of the dark ages. Not sure why you consider that mythology.

My roommate in college would purposely say things to get under people's skins. It either sounds like you're doing that or gloating about the fact that HCDM dream job wasn't what he thought it was(something that has probably happened to a few people here) and took a promotion. Either way, after over half a year it has gotten old. You don't know Martine and I'm sure very few here know half of the circumstances on why he left. So let's put it to rest and cheer for a coach who helped turn our program around and is making su proud as another alum in the nfl...or if not just not say anything at all. Thanks

I think it would be great if Shafer built on what Marrone did with a good amount of success, and then left for the NFL. I'd love him to stay if he does well, but it is rare when there is someone with the talent and drive to resurrect a program, who is also content to stay under the highest level.
My big fear is that HCSS turns out to be another GRob (I doubt that will be the case though).

And yet, he took us out of the dark ages. Not sure why you consider that mythology.
I don't consider it mythology. That's not what Cap'n said though. He said Marrone was the only one that wanted the job and the only one willing to take it, and he put those words in all caps so we'd know how serious it is.

The statement Cap'n made is a good example of the mythology surrounding Marrone, because I have to ask why it was necessary to exaggerate to such a great extent the achievement of improving the program? Marrone improved the program is a statement of fact with good, hard evidence to back it up. It stands on its own. So why is it needed to state so emphatically that NOBODY else wanted the job or was WILLING to try, something that can't possibly be true? Why?

Because people persist in wanting to make Marrone out to be more than he is. It's ridiculous. Always has been, and will continue to be, and I'll absolutely keep pointing it out.

First, Marrone's quirks make him in to a punchline. Not me or anyone else.

Srcond, you have no choice but to call it a strawman because you were the President and founding member of the Marrone Man Love Fan Club, Go. If you deny it, you're lying to yourself.

Third, I actually was vindicated, because all along what I posted about during Marrone's time as coach was that maybe we should pump the breaks a bit on the guy and let his achievements catch up to the accolades so many people were lining up to give him. How many threads prematurely annointed him as Syracuse's pigskin response to Boeheim as an institutional lifer and legend, or a master disciplinarian that wouldn't suffer from off field problems everyone else does, or claimed him to be some kind of mastermind recruiter who brought in 2 stars better than everyone else's recruits, or that Marrone was bestowed with some kind of moral superiority and goodness because he was a true "Syracuse guy" that just wanted to succeed at his dream job? Those threads happened, and now we're seeing some backlash on the board because people are coming over to the idea that it just got out of hand.

???? Thanks for sharing. ?????

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom