For those who say it will never happen here | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

For those who say it will never happen here

Wrong. It was a 20 year contract from 2019-2038 to play 10 more games.

Don't be surprised if these games never happen. Contracts get broken all the time.
I hope your right, but we don't know if it will. If we are going to play games in Metlife I have been saying for months play an ACC opponent in Metlife and fulfill the contract don't move potential marquee non-conference games or FSU/Clemson/Miami/VPI ACC game there. I would rotate, Boston College, Louisville, NC State, Wake Forest, Pittsburgh if we have to play the Metlife games as the CNY fanbase will get ample opportunities to see those teams and we can fulfill the contract and keep the money from them and play marquee games in the Dome.

I recall the days when people we saying we were stuck in the BE and had no chance of getting out under Dr. Gross. The sky was falling. Things change.

The two games in South Bend have been cancelled. We have 2 games against ND in MetLife in 2014 and 2016 and that's it.
For now the games have been cancelled but from 2017-2019 Syracuse will be an ACC opponent for Notre Dame in South Bend, and if you don't think that will happen I have a bridge to sell you. Syracuse is getting the least of the ND-ACC football agreement of any football school because Dr. Gross signed that Metlife deal with Notre Dame. I get why he did it, but it has robbed Syracuse of a chance to host the Notre Dame football team in the Carrier Dome over the next 6 years like every other ACC team will.

I recall the days when people we saying we were stuck in the BE and had no chance of getting out under Dr. Gross. The sky was falling. Things change.
Is this your way of saying I get what your saying and while you personally don't care or agree you see my points?

Is this your way of saying I get what your saying and while you personally don't care or agree you see my points?
It's my way of saying I don't think your forecast will come true. You seem to think that Gross is some sort of robot who can't change course now that we have only 2 more games schedule in Metlife. We are no longer in the BE.

It's my way of saying I don't think your forecast will come true. You seem to think that Gross is some sort of robot who can't change course now that we have only 2 more games schedule in Metlife. We are no longer in the BE.
We have a contract with Metlife and I don't know if Gross will repudiate it. Unless he breaks that contract he will under the terms on that agreement have to schedule 8 more games for between 2019-2038 in Metlife Stadium and their is nothing robotic about that. The BE has nothing to do with the contract now I agree he signed it with a BE mind, but from my interactions with Dr. Gross I got the feeling he doesn't want to break this agreement, but I hope I am wrong.

We have a contract with Metlife and I don't know if Gross will repudiate it. Unless he breaks that contract he will under the terms on that agreement have to schedule 8 more games for between 2019-2038 in Metlife Stadium and their is nothing robotic about that. The BE has nothing to do with the contract now I agree he signed it with a BE mind, but from my interactions with Dr. Gross I got the feeling he doesn't want to break this agreement, but I hope I am wrong.

Depends what you / the fanbase / SU wants.

There are certain teams that will go to Giants Stadium for the payout that wont go to the Dome for a lesser payout.

is it more important financially and for football reasons to play those teams at Giants Stadium or to play lesser teams at home? I would rather the latter, but I don't balance the books for the AD..

For now the games have been cancelled but from 2017-2019 Syracuse will be an ACC opponent for Notre Dame in South Bend, and if you don't think that will happen I have a bridge to sell you. Syracuse is getting the least of the ND-ACC football agreement of any football school because Dr. Gross signed that Metlife deal with Notre Dame. I get why he did it, but it has robbed Syracuse of a chance to host the Notre Dame football team in the Carrier Dome over the next 6 years like every other ACC team will.

After our 2 game contract with ND in MetLife is completed, it's a blank slate. We'll get one game in South Bend and one game in Syracuse during the next 6 year swing.

Depends what you / the fanbase / SU wants.

There are certain teams that will go to Giants Stadium for the payout that wont go to the Dome for a lesser payout.

is it more important financially and for football reasons to play those teams at Giants Stadium or to play lesser teams at home? I would rather the latter, but I don't balance the books for the AD..
The most important factor depends on the AD but with more money being brought in from the new TV deal I would say most fans would hope finances aren't as drastic for the AD and the top priority is always money but not the only factor and if teams won't play us home/home then find another opponent. I don't see many benefits to playing true home games at Metlife Stadium. To be honest I see ZERO benefit for playing a Syracuse home game over 250 miles from campus. I get that nobody turns down money, but the football reasons to playing games in Metlife stadium I would say are zero as we are 0-2 in games there and have had less fans at the Penn State game this year which was an excellent series and the USC attendance was an embarrassment when they didn't sell any tickets in the upper bowl of the stadium and that game would have had more than 39k if it was played in Syracuse.

Last edited:
After our 2 game contract with ND in MetLife is completed, it's a blank slate. We'll get one game in South Bend and one game in Syracuse during the next 6 year swing.
That is best case scenairo IMO. I have little faith Syracuse will get its home games with Notre Dame in Syracuse. I just don't see it happening or Gross would have tried harder to get that 2016 in Syracuse and tried to get out of Metlife deal. He told me he wanted to honor that contract and I believe he said that because he wants to maintain the relationship with Metlife.

Why is it hard for people to look at something objectively and be critical when necessary. I am diehard SU fan and love Dr. Gross but this Metlife situation has been poorly decided and I think makes Syracuse football look more like a midmajor than a power 5 team, and yes I think Wazzu acts like a midmajor as well. They have played Auburn two times in 2006 and this year in 2013 in payment games. They haved played Oklahoma State in a Seattle/road series. I want Syracuse to play teams home/home or better like a 2 for 1 with MAC teams or find another opponent.

Why is it hard for people to look at something objectively and be critical when necessary.

I think you must believe that if someone does not agree with your view on this, they are not looking at it objectively. I don't agree with your forecast and I think there are good reasons not to. The fact that you disagree with me s fine. We'll see how it plays out.

1. The Dome is our homefield and I am not goinng to complain about it even though I wish we had a retractable roof but that is not something any of us can complain about unless we are giving the University a couple hundred million dollars to help build a new stadium.

Hopefully, if you end up with millions to donate, you don't squander it on a university's athletics program. I mean, I'm glad people do it b/c selfishly I love sports and I'd love if we had some benefactor like Phil Knight, but honestly the idea that these guys have ushered in this culture of absurd athletic facilities spending is just kind of gross. But, regardless, you don't have to be a big-time donor to have an opinion on a stadium. I respect that my opinion is in the minority here, but if you don't think game-day atmosphere/stadium/attendance play a role in where we play games and how series with big time schools are negotiated then I think you're mistaken. ND doesn't care whether we play hardball or not -- they just won't bother playing us if it's not worth enough green. We can posture and play hard ball, but one game a year in a bigger stadium in the greatest city in the world is not only not a terrible thing, but it's probably a pretty good thing for the university and even some fans.

2. ... I was at Metlife for the Penn State game and we had less fans their then Penn State. Their is no fanbase worth playing that we will outdraw for the Metlife games which are supposed to be Syracuse HOME games. So yeah let's give up HOMEFIELD ADVANTAGE.

I agree -- USC in NYC never made sense. USC has a fan base as dispassionate as ours. But for PSU, if you're splitting that gate, you make some bread on the experience. This is really the whole point of college football -- revenue. So why would we not want to play a team with a rabid fan base? The whole point is attendance and publicity, in which case a packed stadium and relevant opponent makes a lot of sense. Are you giving up home field? I guess but we didn't lose to USC b/c of fan participation. Didn't lose to PSU b/c of it either.

3. Hoops HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS and this statement is irrelevant. ... Yeah, let's move our home games into 4 different areas and cater to a couple those alumni over the long time season ticketholders who donate a lot of money over the years and basically help keep the AD afloat. All we need is 1 or 2 games a year along the Eastern seaboard like we will in Philly, D.C. with Villanova/Gtown in non-conference games.

I guess i was responding to the original post here and not yours, so I apologize. I was also exaggerating by splitting the games up and playing in the four locations. My point is you were a team who's entire identity was built upon the Big East. It wasn't like we occasionally played in these locations -- we lived in these locations. Huge games at G'town (DC) and Nova (Philly) every year, a game at SJU (NYC) most years as well as a trip to the Garden every single year for the only college sporting event that NYC ever paid attention to (the BET), and pretty good rivalries throughout new england (with BC until they left, UConn and Provy). It's a major difference from a recruiting perspective.

4. Again your moving games away from students, local season ticketholders, and local fans and giving up HFA so 15k-20k fans at most can go NYC. It is dumb to give up a home game and a marquee opponent. If we move marquee games nobody can complain about attendance, and I am a season ticket-holder who lives over 600 miles away from Syracuse and NYC is closer to me and I could careless. You don't act small-time and play teams away/neutral site. I get the AD makes money from moving the games, but giving up the chance to win and grow the fanbase is stupid now that we will be raking in 5 times more money a year in TV money from the ACC that we received from the Big East. Dr. Gross TOLD ME he agreed to Notre Dame deal because we were stuck in the Big East and needed as many revenue streams as possible and likely wouldn't have agreed to the series if we were getting in the ACC.

Listen, I understand where you're coming from but what this doesn't address is a huge question -- how do you grow the fan base? For one thing, we're in an area of the country that simply isn't football crazy. BC, UConn, Temple, RU, Pitt ... all have had serious issues with attendance and general interest in their program. UMD is a little better but with some built-in advantages (big state school, highly populated area), their support remains pretty apathetic. PSU is pretty much it for programs in the northeast with rabid fan support. So the problem a university faces is how do we grow that support? It's not like we haven't had these issues for years or even decades. Until there is a solution or the facilities arms race stops and revenue isn't such a hot topic, a program in Syracuse's position needs to make money any way they can.

And plus, NYC is four hours away and is a great city. It can easily be covered in a day if necessary. We are also in the ACC which should deliver more well-known opponents to the dome regardless on an annual basis. I just fail to see how we are somehow now 'small-time' b/c we play big-time opponents in a premier location on national TV once a year. I just don't see it as a big deal at all.

I hope your right, but we don't know if it will. If we are going to play games in Metlife I have been saying for months play an ACC opponent in Metlife and fulfill the contract don't move potential marquee non-conference games or FSU/Clemson/Miami/VPI ACC game there. I would rotate, Boston College, Louisville, NC State, Wake Forest, Pittsburgh if we have to play the Metlife games as the CNY fanbase will get ample opportunities to see those teams and we can fulfill the contract and keep the money from them and play marquee games in the Dome.
Ugh...you won't get the marquee ooc match ups without MetLife...nd/USC don't want to play in the dome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1

Ugh...you won't get the marquee ooc match ups without MetLife...nd/USC don't want to play in the dome

-
USC agreed to a home and home. It was later changed to met life.

-
USC was more than willing to play us in the Dome. We only got that series because of the USC-Dr. Gross connection I realize, but the Trojans were going to play us in the Carrier Dome until Dr. Gross sold the game to Metlife Stadium for approximately 5 million dollars.

Hopefully, if you end up with millions to donate, you don't squander it on a university's athletics program. I mean, I'm glad people do it b/c selfishly I love sports and I'd love if we had some benefactor like Phil Knight, but honestly the idea that these guys have ushered in this culture of absurd athletic facilities spending is just kind of gross. But, regardless, you don't have to be a big-time donor to have an opinion on a stadium. I respect that my opinion is in the minority here, but if you don't think game-day atmosphere/stadium/attendance play a role in where we play games and how series with big time schools are negotiated then I think you're mistaken. ND doesn't care whether we play hardball or not -- they just won't bother playing us if it's not worth enough green. We can posture and play hard ball, but one game a year in a bigger stadium in the greatest city in the world is not only not a terrible thing, but it's probably a pretty good thing for the university and even some fans.

I agree -- USC in NYC never made sense. USC has a fan base as dispassionate as ours. But for PSU, if you're splitting that gate, you make some bread on the experience. This is really the whole point of college football -- revenue. So why would we not want to play a team with a rabid fan base? The whole point is attendance and publicity, in which case a packed stadium and relevant opponent makes a lot of sense. Are you giving up home field? I guess but we didn't lose to USC b/c of fan participation. Didn't lose to PSU b/c of it either.

I guess i was responding to the original post here and not yours, so I apologize. I was also exaggerating by splitting the games up and playing in the four locations. My point is you were a team who's entire identity was built upon the Big East. It wasn't like we occasionally played in these locations -- we lived in these locations. Huge games at G'town (DC) and Nova (Philly) every year, a game at SJU (NYC) most years as well as a trip to the Garden every single year for the only college sporting event that NYC ever paid attention to (the BET), and pretty good rivalries throughout new england (with BC until they left, UConn and Provy). It's a major difference from a recruiting perspective.

Listen, I understand where you're coming from but what this doesn't address is a huge question -- how do you grow the fan base? For one thing, we're in an area of the country that simply isn't football crazy. BC, UConn, Temple, RU, Pitt ... all have had serious issues with attendance and general interest in their program. UMD is a little better but with some built-in advantages (big state school, highly populated area), their support remains pretty apathetic. PSU is pretty much it for programs in the northeast with rabid fan support. So the problem a university faces is how do we grow that support? It's not like we haven't had these issues for years or even decades. Until there is a solution or the facilities arms race stops and revenue isn't such a hot topic, a program in Syracuse's position needs to make money any way they can.

And plus, NYC is four hours away and is a great city. It can easily be covered in a day if necessary. We are also in the ACC which should deliver more well-known opponents to the dome regardless on an annual basis. I just fail to see how we are somehow now 'small-time' b/c we play big-time opponents in a premier location on national TV once a year. I just don't see it as a big deal at all.

I respect what your saying and we will agree to disagree, but I respect the response so their is the like, but I don't agree. However, this is how two adults should have a conservation without name calling and having it get hostile.

I think it's reasonable to be disappointed with having games at MetLife if and only if:
a) You are a season ticket holder or attend the majority of our home games.
b) You stand up on 3rd down.
c) You don't have the time, money, or inclination to travel to NYC.

I get it. If I still lived in the area, I would probably be a little peeved at first, but I'd get over it.
I wouldn't make the trip to NYC every year, but I'd happily watch the game on TV just like I do now. Not the worst thing in the world.

I just don't understand this sentiment at all. I'll preface this with a couple of points I'm willing to concede:

1) I don't like the dome, never have liked the dome and think it amounts to basically a football mausoleum.

2) I live in DC/MD and would much rather see the cuse in NYC/Balt./Philly.

3) If the hoops team plays more in MSG, I will go more to MSG to watch those games.

But having allowed for those two points, there are a lot of reasons I just don't understand why there is so much resistance to the idea of playing a game or two in NYC or other locales during the year.

1) Are people really still uncomfortable with the fact that basically everything this program does is to try and make money? I mean, if someone can make a case that the NYC games are a losing proposition financially, then fine, but ultimately college sports in 2013 are all about generating as much publicity and money for the university as humanly possible. Such is life.

2) The games are going to be against really good teams. What is wrong with that? Why would anyone bother playing Temple at MetLife? It makes no sense. And those teams aren't coming to the dome? Well, again, this is a new world of college athletics. Money is what matters and if teams don't see the money, they aren't coming. It truly is that simple.

3) The hoops team HAS to play in NYC. We just moved to a conference with zero presence in NYC, Balt. (essentially), DC and philly. Luckily we've never recruited those areas ... oh, wait, nevermind. We LIVE in those areas for recruiting. Anyone who complains about playing in NYC or somewhere else for hoops but was enthralled with the move to the ACC needs to be locked away in a mental institution. If I had it my way, we'd break up our home game schedule into quarters and play 1/4 of our games in NYC, DC, Balt and philly.

4) NYC is four hours away. Yes, this is a pain in the a$$ compared to a trip to the dome for a lot of the folks here. But NYC is also a city that supposedly has some other things to do. I'm stunned at the number of people who don't view once a year games in NYC as an opportunity to spend a fun weekend in a cool city that's a really easy drive away. I mean, it's not like playing a crappy bowl in Jacksonville or somewhere. I've never blamed people for not showing up to awful, often meaningless bowl games in bland cities, but a cool game against a good team in NYC in September? I'm not really sure I understand the gripe.

Having been in finance for longer than I would like to admit, based on the attendance at Met and the fact that they give nothing away I'm sure the last two events did not result in a better bottom line than if they were in the Dome. They did however serve the good Doctors ego.

USC was more than willing to play us in the Dome. We only got that series because of the USC-Dr. Gross connection I realize, but the Trojans were going to play us in the Carrier Dome until Dr. Gross sold the game to Metlife Stadium for approximately 5 million dollars.
I'm pretty sure there was an article or 2 about the fact that the only way USC would do the deal is if they were at a place like MetLife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1

I'm pretty sure there was an article or 2 about the fact that the only way USC would do the deal is if they were at a place like MetLife.

-
That is not true USC AD at the time Mike Garrett agreed to the home/home with Syracuse because of his long standing relationship with Dr. Gross who was his top deputy AD at USC. This series was a favor to a long time employee plus USC has played Minnesota and Boston College home/home within the past 5 years Syracuse IS NOT BELOW EITHER of those schools and USC is/has playing on the campus of Minnesota and @Boston College next year. USC would have played us last year in the Carrier Dome no questions asked if Dr. Gross on his own didn't decide to move the game to Metlife so he could get 5 million dollars from the Metlife people.