For what's it worth... | Syracusefan.com

For what's it worth...

OGBJ20

Starter
I've been allowed to comment on this board for three yrs now spewing my thoughts and such. The reality of it all is that Syracuse made mistakes in the past that caused the current issue. SU like all national powerhouses are going and will continue to do what's right for the program for all intense purposes. But along with that comes decisions and results that are favorable for some and not for others. In this case, Rak should have not been denied a chance to cement his career by playing in the post season ACC and possibly NCAA/NIT because of the chances that the new guys may not attend SU moving forward. My three sons should have not been disbanded for obvious reasons...These young men did nothing to deserve what happened but go out and give effort from day one to be a contributor on a team that they held in high regard since grade school days. With that being said, just like the guys on last years team who were effected by this great debacle, the new guys as well as fans will have to go through this difficult time of enduring some bad play, losses as this has to be played out. But don't forget for one moment that the decisions made over the course of the last yr or so has not effected ME and others greatly. Sure the fans will get to look forward to the next Melo and getting back to national prominence but remember that this team lost something which was the fire inside of them to prove to the world, NCAA that they where going to be better than the hypocrisy that they are a part of and unfortunately stuff happens. In time SU hoops will be fine as will the departed soldiers but it will take a little longer than some might expect. There is some great talent on this team and eventually it will come together. Happy New Year to all- waiting patiently until this guy hits the court again in approximately 4months.
image.jpeg

Great post and all too true... The recruiting and player development by our coaches the last several recruiting classes has been downright bizarre. We seemingly either had NBA talents or kids who have or will leave the program without really contributing. We are missing what seems like an entire class or two of program depth (my three sons) and that is what is killing us this year and possibly next if we don't find a legit point. Some of this is down to bad luck but I think most of it has been self inflicted.

I've been allowed to comment on this board for three yrs now spewing my thoughts and such. The reality of it all is that Syracuse made mistakes in the past that caused the current issue. SU like all national powerhouses are going and will continue to do what's right for the program for all intense purposes. But along with that comes decisions and results that are favorable for some and not for others. In this case, Rak should have not been denied a chance to cement his career by playing in the post season ACC and possibly NCAA/NIT because of the chances that the new guys may not attend SU moving forward. My three sons should have not been disbanded for obvious reasons...These young men did nothing to deserve what happened but go out and give effort from day one to be a contributor on a team that they held in high regard since grade school days. With that being said, just like the guys on last years team who were effected by this great debacle, the new guys as well as fans will have to go through this difficult time of enduring some bad play, losses as this has to be played out. But don't forget for one moment that the decisions made over the course of the last yr or so has not effected ME and others greatly. Sure the fans will get to look forward to the next Melo and getting back to national prominence but remember that this team lost something which was the fire inside of them to prove to the world, NCAA that they where going to be better than the hypocrisy that they are a part of and unfortunately stuff happens. In time SU hoops will be fine as will the departed soldiers but it will take a little longer than some might expect. There is some great talent on this team and eventually it will come together. Happy New Year to all- waiting patiently until this guy hits the court again in approximately 4months.
View attachment 54583

Appreciate the perspective, but save the hyperbole. We will be back to 25 wins next year. Battle, Moyer, Richardson, Chukwu, Lydon, Roberson, Howard is more than enough. Will be young, but much more talented than the last 2 years.

The Explorers, on the other hand, are 4-6 and primed for a last-place finish in the A10. Lost by 46 (?!) to Miami, and recently lost to a Florida Gulf Coast team that is not close to the Dunk City editions. While BJ and the other two transfers no doubt will help next year, this year's team should not lose to a mediocre Penn team by 16.

Many of us are Syracuse fans/alums/residents and have been fans for 20+ years. We have seen transfers before, for various reasons, and accept that as one of the power conference schools that it's the reality of the situation.

We are focused on the future, not the past.

Appreciate the perspective, but save the hyperbole. We will be back to 25 wins next year. Battle, Moyer, Richardson, Chukwu, Lydon, Roberson, Howard is more than enough. Will be young, but much more talented than the last 2 years.

The Explorers, on the other hand, are 4-6 and primed for a last-place finish in the A10. Lost by 46 (?!) to Miami, and recently lost to a Florida Gulf Coast team that is not close to the Dunk City editions. While BJ and the other two transfers no doubt will help next year, this year's team should not lose to a mediocre Penn team by 16.

Many of us are Syracuse fans/alums/residents and have been fans for 20+ years. We have seen transfers before, for various reasons, and accept that as one of the power conference schools that it's the reality of the situation.

You really think Richardson will be here, and 2 Freshman Guards are going to lead SU to a 20 +Wins .You had better hope Joseph and Howard are ready for that task and Chukwu gains 150+lbs

You really think Richardson will be here, and 2 Freshman Guards are going to lead SU to a 20 +Wins .You had better hope Joseph and Howard are ready for that task and Chukwu gains 150+lbs

Yes, I do think Richardson will still be at SU. Where else is he going to go?

And it won't be two FR guards. Richardson & Howard are both sophomores next year. Battle is the only guard that will be a freshman.

I also expect that we could use a scholarship on a guard if/when Joseph transfers.

Also, 150 lbs.? C'mon.

Last edited:

What does Joseph have to do with the equation? Richardson is probably going to come back, and he's going to be the SG, so the backcourt will be a freshman and sophomore, not two freshman. Both are/were also very highly rated out of high school.

Howard's looking like he's going to be a really good backup guard, Lydon's also looking like he'll be big for us when he plays in position, Roberson will be a senior, and Chukwu is skinny but 7 freaking 2. Add Moyer and possibly Thompson at the forward spots and that team is looking pretty damn good.

Where is Richardson going to go? He's not on anyone's draft radar whatsoever.

what?

Yes, I do think Richardson will still be at SU. Where else is he going to go?

And it won't be two FR guards. Richardson & Howard are both sophomores next year. Battle is the only guard that will be a freshman.

I also expect that we could use a scholarship on a guard if/when Joseph transfers.

Also, 150 lbs.? C'mon.

Yeah I don't mind if Chukwu puts on some weight but right now he's listed at 225. 375 seems just a bit excessive... He does still need to run up and down the court.

Last edited:
I have always appreciated the OP's perspective...
The program, considering the circumstances, simply did not have the time or room to keep waiting for guys to take advantage of opportunities. It was there for those guys, they didn't have what it takes, and SU had to move on. And it's going to probably happen again after this season, too. It's harsh but it's the reality of D1 hoops at a Power5 school.

edit: that is: at a Power5 school being crippled by the cartel

Joseph won't be here. Like most who leave, he has found out he cannot play at this level. (I think, with a year of S&C, BJ could have been a solid player at SU.)

I see that you still don't get it which is fine with me. Teams have their good and bad seasons for whatever reasons and this is one of those times. As I have stated before I will never comment on any player good or bad other than my son but just like SU, the Explorers have lost players over the last yr or so who were not replaced and has caused a tough year. Teams just have to weather the storm. Patience is the key for rebuilding and progression which usually occurs in 1-3yrs for success. Given that their is no outside occurrences that effect the process. Actually you need to focus on the past to remind you of what to do and what not to do to determine a brighter future. Don't ever dismiss the past, you just move forward eliminating the chances of bad times happening again. As in the case of SU and the Explorers.

Last edited:
The program, considering the circumstances, simply did not have the time or room to keep waiting for guys to take advantage of opportunities. It was there for those guys, they didn't have what it takes, and SU had to move on. And it's going to probably happen again after this season, too. It's harsh but it's the reality of D1 hoops at a Power5 school.

I agree except for having what it took to play at SU. Maybe I was too neive and optimistic going into last season but in reality the table was set early for this situation as I recall. It is a harsh reality in this business that does not really care about who it effects.

pearl31 said:

Circumstances being the need to transition almost immediately from a 13 player roster to a 10 player roster. Simply don't have room to allow players to develop when you are so limited particularly when the top of your roster is at least a potential risk to leave early. (Let's be clear here. Don't expect that this season but at various points Richardson, Lydon and Coleman were discussed as potentially not being around next year.) Compound that with the Diagne situation, then the NCAA kicking sand in our face by proclaiming in late November that they over reached and we could have an 11th scholarship beginning last August.

Wonder if with that 11th ship the staff might have been more supportive of having BJ stay and red shirt here?

I see that you still don't get it which is fine with me. Teams have their good and bad seasons for whatever reasons and this is one of those times. As I have stated before I will never comment on any player good or bad other than my son but just like SU, the Explorers have lost players over the last yr or so who were not replaced and has caused a tough year. Teams just have to weather the storm. Patience is the key for rebuilding and progression which usually occurs in 1-3yrs for success. Given that their is no outside occurrences that effect the process. Actually you need to focus on the past to remind you of what to do and what not to do to determine a Britney future. Don't ever dismiss the past, you just move forward eliminating the chances of bad times happening again. As in the case of SU and the Explorers.

And I can see that you don't get it - which is also fine with me.

20+ years of investment into the Syracuse program - financial investment, time investment, student loan/tuition investment - is enough for me to have a pretty good idea which players will and will not succeed at Syracuse and at the highest level. With Boeheim, it's 40+ years of the same, and I think he has earned the trust of those of us that are dedicated to the school.

Kris Joseph was a four-year player at Syracuse. At the same position as your son. He took advantage of opportunities when they arose, and showed he could play at the highest of levels against the best competition, even early on in his career when minutes were not as easy to come by. James Southerland is another example I can use.

This is the way I took your original post, when boiled down: Syracuse was the bad guy in all of this, got rid of kids who were good kids and worked hard, and should be ashamed of the way it handled all of the situations over the last few years. And is getting what you think the school deserves this year. And that the program is going to take time to recover.

I have seen this program go from losing the top scorer in program history to the national title game in one year. From the NIT one year to a national championship the next. From the NIT one year to a should-have-been Final Four two years later, if not for a season-ending injury to one of the best centers in the country.

Again, with all due respect, you have no idea what the history of this program is and how long it will take for us to get back to where we have been for the majority of the last 3 decades. And I would implore you to look to the future (La Salle), rather than the past. As every fan of the Syracuse program is.

Circumstances being the need to transition almost immediately from a 13 player roster to a 10 player roster. Simply don't have room to allow players to develop when you are so limited particularly when the top of your roster is at least a potential risk to leave early. (Let's be clear here. Don't expect that this season but at various points Richardson, Lydon and Coleman were discussed as potentially not being around next year.) Compound that with the Diagne situation, then the NCAA kicking sand in our face by proclaiming in late November that they over reached and we could have an 11th scholarship beginning last August.

Wonder if with that 11th ship the staff might have been more supportive of having BJ stay and red shirt here?
The scholarship addition to 11 was given long after the transfers had occurred and in BJ's case the year sitting out as it is frustrating is the best thing for him moving forward. He just turned 20 on December 20th so that is a good thing for him. He will not be too old (nba draft status) when he is a 5th yr guy.

People might have unrealistic expectations for next year based in large part on Chukwu. As a frosh he was a non-factor. although he is tall he is neither Cat Rescue Man nor Shaq.

I agree except for having what it took to play at SU. Maybe I was too neive and optimistic going into last season but in reality the table was set early for this situation as I recall. It is a harsh reality in this business that does not really care about who it effects.

There was a tremendous amount of naïveté with regard to your son: first and foremost, naïveté that he was physically ready to play his freshman year. Last year, BJ played well in a few games, most notably the ND game. The bottom line was he was not afforded enough opportunities, and when he was, he wasn't ready to capitalize (for the most part). If he was given a shirt prior to his freshman year, he would've been more ready last year. BJ still was too thin last season and was wildly inconsistent, despite obvious talent and what seemed like great effort. I'm sure next season, BJ will be physically ready to succeed. He never was at SU.

All of this discussion is beating a dead horse at this point but the cycle has been repeated again with Kaleb Joseph. :bang: Some of this is on the coaches and recruiting misses, some of this is on circumstances (like with KJ having to play last year because Tyle Ennis left early), some of it is on the sanctions.

Remind me again why I've allowed myself to be sucked into this vortex again.

Good luck to BJ at LaSalle.

Last edited:
And I can see that you don't get it - which is also fine with me.

20+ years of investment into the Syracuse program - financial investment, time investment, student loan/tuition investment - is enough for me to have a pretty good idea which players will and will not succeed at Syracuse and at the highest level. With Boeheim, it's 40+ years of the same, and I think he has earned the trust of those of us that are dedicated to the school.

Kris Joseph was a four-year player at Syracuse. At the same position as your son. He took advantage of opportunities when they arose, and showed he could play at the highest of levels against the best competition, even early on in his career when minutes were not as easy to come by. James Southerland is another example I can use.

This is the way I took your original post, when boiled down: Syracuse was the bad guy in all of this, got rid of kids who were good kids and worked hard, and should be ashamed of the way it handled all of the situations over the last few years. And is getting what you think the school deserves this year. And that the program is going to take time to recover.

I have seen this program go from losing the top scorer in program history to the national title game in one year. From the NIT one year to a national championship the next. From the NIT one year to a should-have-been Final Four two years later, if not for a season-ending injury to one of the best centers in the country.

Again, with all due respect, you have no idea what the history of this program is and how long it will take for us to get back to where we have been for the majority of the last 3 decades. And I would implore you to look to the future (La Salle), rather than the past. As every fan of the Syracuse program is.
You don't get it. I have been a fan of SU long before BJ decided to attend there. I was a fan when I played against them and rooted for them in the chip against Indiana, I was a pearl fan as well, I was a Raphael Addison fan also so I do know a little bit about SU as a hoops fan. So with all that has happened to BJ over the last two yrs, I'm still a fan and a friend as well as former adversary of SU. Upset that it didn't work out for BJ is an understatement but for me to bitter and angry at SU, its staff or to wish ill will on any of the players there is very incensitve and downright hateful especially for anyone who is apart of a huge fraternity throughout would not help us move forward into the future. Sometimes things don't work out as planned and it has nothing to do with what you do in the situation. This is one of those times.

There was a tremendous amount of naïveté with regard to your son: first and foremost, naïveté that he was physically ready to play his freshman year. Last year, BJ played well in a few games, most notably the ND game. The bottom line was he was not afforded enough opportunities, and when he was, he wasn't ready to capitalize (for the most part). If he was given a shirt prior to his freshman year, he would've been more ready last year. BJ still was too thin last season and was wildly inconsistent, despit obvious talent and what seemed like great effort. I'm sure next season, BJ will be physically ready to succeed. He never was at SU.

All of this discussion is beating a dead horse at this point but the cycle has been repeated again with Kaleb Joseph. :bang: Some of this is on the coaches and recruiting misses, some of this is on circumstances (like with KJ having to play last year because Tyle Ennis left early), some of it is on the sanctions.

Remind me again why I've allowed myself to be sucked into this vortex again.

Good luck to BJ at LaSalle.
Thanks and totally agree. A bad decision from the rip and maybe I should have seen the light and insisted the BJ reshirt as froshmen but that didn't happen.(bad parent) it will all work out for both situations. The key is being able to develop players creating chemistry and experience throughout.

Agree on the ncaa ban. Thats tough for the players.

Ron patterson couldnt hack it.

Unfortunately, i dont think kaleb joseph can make it here either.

Bj just wasnt physically mature enough. Still think he shouldve been given a chance to stay but he was probably the one casualty of the ncaa.

Where can Richardson go? I hope you are not implying that he could go pro, because that is beyond silly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom