Former Syracuse football legend Tim Green says he has ALS | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Former Syracuse football legend Tim Green says he has ALS

Wow absolutely crushing to see this. Was not a fan of him as a person playing against him in hs for the guy he was at that time. Big fan of his as an su fan as a player for my rooting interest but still not as a person.

Years later connecting with him talking about the old times reading his books (especially his good son book marking a dramatic change in his personality) with greater balance and perspective to his life and reality, I became a big fan of his in all respects.

No one should deal with such things, makes tonights game an immediate non concern and afterthought. God bless ya Tim Green hang in there and love your family and friends as they love you.

Last edited:
Have to wonder if there is a connection to this violent game, one more reason to feel guilty for still watching
Yep the fact I’m still talking breathing and not drooling is a blessing to me. I can deal with the aches and pains. Turned out to be a blessing I wasn’t good enough to make the pros when I was crushed at the time.

I met Tim close to a decade ago. He seemed like a very upbeat, positive type of person. Wish him the best.

This is very sad news.

Regrettably, I can say from very personal experience that ALS is a horrific, unspeakably cruel disease. My wife died earlier this year, after a 5-year battle with it.

Godspeed to Tim Green and those closest to him.
So sorry to read of your wife Nola. I hope you've been able to move forward with life with her memory forever positively planted in your soul.

The pride of Liverpool High School. I'm so saddened to hear this

One of my all time favorite players. As a fellow alum I took immense pride it what Tim accomplished OFF the field more than on. Going to take a while to recover from watching 60 minutes tonight. Thinking we should do something as a syracusefan.com community to show our support.

Great all around guy and great role model in life and for our university. very sad

For those who didn't read the entire article, he does say this:

Now the good news: Like many conditions, ALS has different forms. While of course I'd rather not have it at all, I am extremely grateful that mine is a slow-progressing version of the disease.
Based on what I posted here, I was not prepared for his condition on tonight's 60 Minutes piece. I remember seeing him with Derek Jeter last year on the CBS morning show talking about a book they had co-authored. He seemed fine, which made tonight's piece all the more distressing. ALS is an insidious disease that robs you of your body's functionality while leaving your mind totally intact.

Any contributions, no matter how small, to Tackle ALS in Tim's name would, I'm sure, be greatly appreciated.

Godspeed.

Great guy and great family. The 60 minute piece was incredibly touching, especially for those of us who know Tim on a more personal level.

I can only imagine the courage needed to maintain the grace and dignity it takes to look into the camera and say that now is the best time in his life.

That was a tough thing to watch.

So far I only watched a snippet but words can't even explain how painful this is. Cancer really sucks but fortunately some people are able to beat it. ALS patients aren't that lucky. I think there are some treatments that might be experimental but I don't believe that any of them have been that successful. I can't even imagine how the Green family and anyone else who is afflicted with ALS can deal with this. It's very sad as I have followed his career from HS to SU to the NFL to becoming a broadcaster and author. Tim has been a role model in his life and I am sure will continue to do so going forward.

So far I only watched a snippet but words can't even explain how painful this is. Cancer really sucks but fortunately some people are able to beat it. ALS patients aren't that lucky. I think there are some treatments that might be experimental but I don't believe that any of them have been that successful. I can't even imagine how the Green family and anyone else who is afflicted with ALS can deal with this. It's very sad as I have followed his career from HS to SU to the NFL to becoming a broadcaster and author. Tim has been a role model in his life and I am sure will continue to do so going forward.

This is how I feel. I saw the 60 Minutes promo where Tim was talking for a few seconds and it's hard for me to watch. I'm not sure I'm going to watch the full segment. ALS is just my worst nightmare. Prayers to Tim and his family and all families who have to deal with this horrible disease.

The pride of Liverpool High School. I'm so saddened to hear this

No doubt. We were classmates and graduated in the same '82 class. I also wrestled soph. and jr. year, Tim wrestled 215 lb. In the 9th grade (Annex) I used to go to him at the beginning of the week to get the weekly football parley and having to turn it back to him by the end of the week. I won a couple of times...he didn't like having to pay up. :)

He played a significant role in Syracuse's mid 80's renaissance; Joe Pa and Penn State really wanted him.

That 60 Minutes segment tonight was simply brutal. :(

Last edited: