Former Syracuse football legend Tim Green says he has ALS | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Former Syracuse football legend Tim Green says he has ALS

Based on what I posted here, I was not prepared for his condition on tonight's 60 Minutes piece. I remember seeing him with Derek Jeter last year on the CBS morning show talking about a book they had co-authored. He seemed fine, which made tonight's piece all the more distressing. ALS is an insidious disease that robs you of your body's functionality while leaving your mind totally intact.

Any contributions, no matter how small, to Tackle ALS in Tim's name would, I'm sure, be greatly appreciated.

Godspeed.

Same here I didn’t realize his condition either it comes on so fast, it’s an insidious illness. My freshman year was Tim’s senior year, he and Pearl were the kings on campus. RIP to Pearl and prayers to Tim and his family

He has always been special. One of those individuals that does everything well so it comes as no surprise that he is going to handle this horrible disease as the gifted leader that he is.
My prayers go out to him and his family.

That was hard to watch

Years ago my boys and I were sitting in the Varsity after a football game. Tim came over to our table and and asked my son if he could get up from his seat for a second. He said sure. Tim stood on his seat and autographed the huge picture of him that was on the wall beside our table. The place went crazy. He then asked my son his name and autographed his program for him.

As soon as the 60 minutes segment was over, my son texted me. He said, “ I’ll never forget that day in Varsity when Tim Green ...”

Godspeed Tim Green

An amazing life. I grew up in Syracuse around when Tim did. In retrospect, I am surprised I never actually met him. I wish I had. He is a genuine legend. He's an inspiration to all ... a role model for those who doubt that they can accomplish great things by working hard.

Wow, i was really moved by this. I didn't know much about Tim Green before this and I'm glad I watched...what a man. Makes you stop and think about what is really important in life. Life can never be long enough

I thought the same regarding a Syracusefan.com team, but that $1000 minimum to start was a barrier (to me at least). Donated under Adam Weitsman team. Would donate more if we had a team. Let me know if I can help.

Fitting that it was Steve Kroft who did the interview. I’ve lost two co-workers to ALS with a third suffering through it. Very sad.

Not to get into a p*ssing match, but Lou Gehrig did play football for Columbia in the early 20s. And yes I don't know the causality between head trauma (leather helmets and beanings) and ALS, but perhaps there is a correlation. It certainly doesn't help to have your cranium concussed w/regularity.
The internet is so much better than having to go to a library for info.
gehrig-columbia.jpg

Sorry this thread has to exist. Wishing Tim continued strength and best wishes in his fight against this terrible disease.