FoxSports: SU is the least likable team left. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

FoxSports: SU is the least likable team left.

Can anyone explain this analogy?

Exactly how is "Rooting for Syracuse to make the Final Four would be like cheering for the Yankees to beat a Triple-A team."?

The problem with this is that it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

In this tournament, 10 Seed SU is more like the AAA team than it is the Yankees, who I presume would be the prohibitive favorite against a Triple A team.

This is moronic.

If anything would be Yankees vs triple a, it would be Unc or Kansas.

What an awesome article!!!!

Clearly nobody here will be stoopid enough to think that being called the YANKEES of college hoop, is a bad thing.

Wait...

Morons.

Great, great article.
I seldom agree with Townie72, but he is absolutely right. To call a 10 seed with one national championship in the last 70 years the Yankees of the college basketball world is absurd and, yes, moronic. Particularly since we are facing an 11 seed which is FAVORED by the sports books to beat us by 5 or 6 points.

Now someone else suggested the article may be tongue in cheek. Perhaps. Part of me wants to check, part of me says screw you, writer, I'm not clicking on the link and giving you the hit.

Can anyone explain this analogy?

Exactly how is "Rooting for Syracuse to make the Final Four would be like cheering for the Yankees to beat a Triple-A team."?

The problem with this is that it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

In this tournament, 10 Seed SU is more like the AAA team than it is the Yankees, who I presume would be the prohibitive favorite against a Triple A team.

This is moronic.
I gave u the night to edit this, now I will give u just a few more hours to sober up and come to you your senses.

I'll start walking with you...ignore this season and the current seed...

I gave u the night to edit this, now I will give u just a few more hours to sober up and come to you your senses.

I'll start walking with you...ignore this season and the current seed...

Ignore the season and the current seed?

Why would anyone do that?

That is, after all, what the article is about.

If the posts from others immediately above this are any indicator, you seem to be the only one that gets this guy's analogy. These other posters feel it's completely wrong. As I do.

Just what edition of the Yankees is he talking about? They've been pretty ordinary the last several years. (Baltimore has won more games than the NYY over the past 4 years).

And if the NYY were to play an AAA team, I doubt if the Yanks would be the underdog.

Ignore the season and the current seed?

Why would anyone do that?

That is, after all, what the article is about.

If the posts from others immediately above this are any indicator, you seem to be the only one that gets this guy's analogy. These other posters feel it's completely wrong. As I do.

Just what edition of the Yankees is he talking about? They've been pretty ordinary the last several years. (Baltimore has won more games than the NYY over the past 4 years).

And if the NYY were to play an AAA team, I doubt if the Yanks would be the underdog.
if the board thinks in unison on something, then inevitably...they are ALL WRONG.

especially on the hoop board.

hes basically saying that a team like Syracuse is 'historically'...the 'Yankees'.

this year they're a 10 seed...and 10 seeds are Cinderellas, ie: teams you root for in this setting to knock off the big boys.

however, you cant root for this 10 seed, because this 10 seed is the freakin Yankees.

and the Yankees deserve your praise when they win 114 games and steamroll through the playoffs to the title.

your little snap shot in time of the Yankees doesn't matter...27 titles does.

38 NCAA appearances does.

if the board thinks in unison on something, then inevitably...they are ALL WRONG.

hes basically saying that a team like Syracuse is 'historically'...the 'Yankees'.

this year they're a 10 seed...and 10 seeds are Cinderellas, ie: teams you root for in this setting to knock off the big boys.

however, you cant root for this 10 seed, because this 10 seed is the freakin Yankees.

and the Yankees deserve your praise when they win 114 games and steamroll through the playoffs to the title.

I and others are actually handicapped in understanding this because we seem to be actual sports fans who know something about baseball.

The biggest problem with the analogy is not equating SU with the Yankees. It's equating Gonzaga with a Triple A team. Triple A players are generally a clear cut below the Major Leaguers. If they weren't, they would be in the Majors and not AAA. Even the best, hottest AA players struggle when they initially get up the "The Show".

If you wanted an analogy that actually worked and SU had to be the NYY, than Gonzaga should be Toronto. A historical power vs. an up-and-comer. (My non-sports interested wife would be able to identify the Yanks as a historically great franchise, but I doubt she knows there are any teams in Canada.)

Equating SU as the NYY does work at one level, but it makes the opposite point that the author would like to make. The Yankees haven't finished 1st in their Division in 4 years, In two of the 3 past years, they have ended the season 12 games out of first.

Weh I finished reading the analogy, I couldn't imagine what the guy was talking about. How is Gonzaga a AAA team?
\
But now, with your help, I think I have it. The article is written for a different audience. My wife.

I and others are actually handicapped in understanding this because we seem to be actual sports fans who know something about baseball.

The biggest problem with the analogy is not equating SU with the Yankees. It's equating Gonzaga with a Triple A team. Triple A players are generally a clear cut below the Major Leaguers. If they weren't, they would be in the Majors and not AAA. Even the best, hottest AA players struggle when they initially get up the "The Show".

If you wanted an analogy that actually worked and SU had to be the NYY, than Gonzaga should be Toronto. A historical power vs. an up-and-comer. (My non-sports interested wife would be able to identify the Yanks as a historically great franchise, but I doubt she knows there are any teams in Canada.)

Equating SU as the NYY does work at one level, but it makes the opposite point that the author would like to make. The Yankees haven't finished 1st in their Division in 4 years, In two of the 3 past years, they have ended the season 12 games out of first.

Weh I finished reading the analogy, I couldn't imagine what the guy was talking about. How is Gonzaga a AAA team?
\
But now, with your help, I think I have it. The article is written for a different audience. My wife.
Gonzaga is AAA.

they are not in a power conference.

the wcc is conference of bullspit also-ran, wanna-be's.

Syracuse, be it the Big East (which apparently whatever success Syracuse had there, no longer matters as it was 4 years ago) or the ACC is a power conference.

pretty simple stuff here.

and you are taking shots at the Yankees and pumping Gonzaga???!!!

holy shlit have you lost your mind.

the Yankees, aren't great...because according to you, they just started playing baseball 4 years ago or that's all that matters.

got it.

im going to call Montreal and tell them they suck at hockey too.

this is not 1 of your better posts.

I love me some Yankees! Go Orange and F the douche who wrote that article.

Oh yeah, and also - IT WAS A JOKE!

What an awesome article!!!!

Clearly nobody here will be stoopid enough to think that being called the YANKEES of college hoop, is a bad thing.

Wait...

Morons.

Great, great article.

One question, us or them? Morons that is.

In real life the bad guy always wins

Please God no...

hqdefault.jpg

That's coming from the LEAST LIKED SPORTS NETWORK. Man, that's just so rich.

Sour grapes because Fox covers a Cuse-less Big East. We would have dominated our old conference. At least he compared us to the Yankees.

Gonzaga is AAA.

Syracuse, be it the Big East (which apparently whatever success Syracuse had there, no longer matters as it was 4 years ago) or the ACC is a power conference.

the Yankees, aren't great...because according to you, they just started playing baseball 4 years ago or that's all that matters.

got it.

Saying that Gonzaga is not the equivalent of a AAA baseball team is not "punping" Gonzaga up. Saying that SU is the equivalent of the NY Yankees over the past 100 years IS pumping SU basketball way up.

There is a sport in which SU is like the historic Yankees. It's Men's lacrosse in which we have more NCs than anyone else and many of the truly great players have worn orange. (i.e, Jim Brown and the Gaits) And even in Lacrosse you have to start the clock running in about 1980, when we real got good.

Your role in this discussion is like the political handlers who have to interpret for the Press what the candidate "really meant to say".

He could have said, "Here we have a historic power from one of the power conferences going up against a team that many think of as a Mid-Major". It'd work for that subsegment of the population that isn't aware that we have struggled recently and that Gonzaga is pretty good (and also may have been seeded too low.) These guys are painting in primary colors for the casual fans, not in shades and hues for the cognoscenti.

These guys are painting in primary colors for the casual fans, not in shades and hues for the cognoscenti.

You give them far too much credit.

More like "drawing on an Etch-A-Sketch" or "monkeys smearing poo on their cage walls".
:p

27 World Series Championships > 38 NCAA Tournament appearances. And Gonzaga is a AAA team but they are...favored? :crazy:

If rooting for Syracuse to make the Final Four is so bad, what is rooting for Kansas, North Carolina or Duke to make it like?

Saying that Gonzaga is not the equivalent of a AAA baseball team is not "punping" Gonzaga up. Saying that SU is the equivalent of the NY Yankees over the past 100 years IS pumping SU basketball way up.

There is a sport in which SU is like the historic Yankees. It's Men's lacrosse in which we have more NCs than anyone else and many of the truly great players have worn orange. (i.e, Jim Brown and the Gaits) And even in Lacrosse you have to start the clock running in about 1980, when we real got good.

Your role in this discussion is like the political handlers who have to interpret for the Press what the candidate "really meant to say".

He could have said, "Here we have a historic power from one of the power conferences going up against a team that many think of as a Mid-Major". It'd work for that subsegment of the population that isn't aware that we have struggled recently and that Gonzaga is pretty good (and also may have been seeded too low.) These guys are painting in primary colors for the casual fans, not in shades and hues for the cognoscenti.
the whole article was meant to get people laughing.

it was a joke.

a joke, in which he threw a monster compliment at Syracuse hoop.

people here get worked up over the oddest of things.

enjoy.

\

I think what the writer meant, and this is just another reason why the article is a joke, is the Yankee dynasty of the late 90's, when they won 4 titles in 5 years, and everyone hated them.

We have one title, the Yankees have the most titles in their respective sport. I have zero idea how the two compare outside of them being located in the same state which really means nothing.

the whole article was meant to get people laughing.

it was a joke.

a joke, in which he threw a monster compliment at Syracuse hoop.

people here get worked up over the oddest of things.

enjoy.

If the whole article was a joke, so was the 'compliment'.

Gonzaga is AAA.

got it.

Well let's go to the record books, specifically wikipedia, and compare the records from 1999 on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gonzaga_Bulldogs_men's_basketball

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syracuse_Orange_men's_basketball

Gonzaga is indisputably in a weaker conference than either the Big East was when we were in it, or the ACC now. However, they have DOMINATED the WCC, appearing in EVERY NCAA tournament since 1999. They have also reached the sweet 16 seven times in that span, though they only made the elite eight twice and never the final four.

By comparison, SU has made the NCAAs 14 times since 1999. Last year of course we self suspended our right to the post season; however it's doubtful we would have made it in anyway. Not impossible, but I believe that team was demonstrably worse than this one. We may have been banned from the post season one other time during this period; I am not sure. Perhaps SWC or other experts could clarify this. We were definitely screwed out of a bid once. Regardless, we made the sweet 16 nine times in that period, as well as one elite eight, one final four and one national championship. So, yes, we have the better record in FEWer appearances. However, one can argue that one might expect that from a team in a superior conference, with the second all time winning mens' D-1 basketball coach. One can also argue that we have underachieved considerably compared to, say, our rivals at UConn, who have four titles in that time, and one with a coach who had only been HC for two or three years.

So is SU really the Yankees? I say no. We just haven't won enough titles to earn that designation. And is Gonzaga really an AAA team? If so, they might be the most successful one in history. But I'd argue they are instead a major league team in a small market, with a small payroll, which has a great farm system that keeps them competitive, even though they do not achieve especially great post season success beyond making the tournament, or playoffs if you will.

Oh and BTW I did read the article. It was not a joke, unless you are referring to the author himself and his stunning lack of consistency in making his arguments. For example, it would be really cool if Miami, long a football school which basically ignores the hoops team won, but awful if Texas A&M, a school he claims also perpetually ignores its basketball team, was to win. I won't dwell on his hatred for SU, except to speculate that perhaps Newhouse was not impressed with his budding journalistic skills and didn't accept his application to attend the school. IOW, he's Gottlieb Jr.

Last edited: