Fran Brown Coaching Staff | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Fran Brown Coaching Staff

Promoting Nick Williams to DC would be stupid. Nick Williams has been a position coach for just a single season. You need to earn your stripes a little bit. There are actually qualified DCs available - Robb Smith for example who's been rumored. DJ Durkin etc.

My guess (hope) would be Elijah Robinson DC, Nick Williams either LBs (the position he played) or DEs (the position he coached at CU).

I do agree with this Nick Williams as DC seems like a massive reach. I was thinking maybe Partridge for DC if Elijah doesn’t come.

This 100%

Also, others have said bring back Beck.

No thanks.

The CDRW situation alone should disqualify him. CDRW was a total deer in the headlights and looked completely undeveloped and not ready when we needed him.

I get Lamson left, but you have to get your number 2 up to serviceability as a QB coach...

Last edited:

No thanks.

The CDRW situation alone should disqualify him. CDRW was a toral deer in the headlights and looked completely undeveloped and not ready when we needed him.

I get Lamson left, but you have to get your number 2 up to serviceability as a QB coach...

I'm not sure I'd put that all on Beck, he struggled at UF as well.

No thanks.

The CDRW situation alone should disqualify him. CDRW was a toral deer in the headlights and looked completely undeveloped and not ready when we needed him.

Lamson leaving is a lame excuse, not saying you are making it, but he hasn’t done a damn thing as a passer at Stanford

before we dis Back lets look at the QB issues all over

Neb/Iowa have no QBs who can throw

most of the ACC has QB issues
much of the B10 has QB issues

some schools have several, others none.

I dont recall so many schools having so many QB issues at the same time.

BC/Miami/VT all had issues as well.

Partridge was a co-DC at Ole Miss for three seasons. If he comes to SU and Elijah doesn't, I could see Partridge as DC. Either way, I don't see Nick Williams as DC.
Pretty certain Nick Williams is joining Brown at Syracuse. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him named DC. Based on his glowing reputation, Nick is on a similar career path as Brown in the coaching community.

Brown made the jump to P5 HC with no coordinator experience. He is exactly the type of coach would promote someone he truly believes.

Curious who the QB is going to be in the bowl game.

Dan “Juggernaut" Villari

im-the-juggernaut-bitch.gif

I'm not sure I'd put that all on Beck, he struggled at UF as well.

Sure, I guess, but he pretty much looked like he hadn't taken a snap and was just tossed in the deep end and was injured immediately.

It was the reason they had to go to emergency wildcat/bobcat... A great move in hindsight, and how we found out that Villari was actually our # 2 QB.

Not sure what Beck was doing as QB coach, but it's not like our #1 wasn't playing injured and odds we would need CDRW ready to go at some point we're pretty high.

I think, giving Beck the benefit of the doubt, we prolly should have had a separate QB coach and let him focus on OC (which I am guessing is what he did anyways, hence the problem with CDRW not being adequately prepared to go when needed.)

I just hope that HCFB has a big enough budget to get the quality coaches and staff that he wants. I want to think and hope so but no one knows for sure. Guys like Robinson could be very good if we can afford him.

Promoting Nick Williams to DC would be stupid. Nick Williams has been a position coach for just a single season. You need to earn your stripes a little bit. There are actually qualified DCs available - Robb Smith for example who's been rumored. DJ Durkin etc.

My guess (hope) would be Elijah Robinson DC, Nick Williams either LBs (the position he played) or DEs (the position he coached at CU).
Agreed. Doesn't make much, if any, sense. He's a position coach who has previously worked with Robinson at A&M - so he's ERob's guy, not Brown's - at least they haven't worked together professionally.

So reading the tea leaves, it appears Fran is hiring ERob to be his DC and to likely coach the D-Line. And Williams will be part of ERob's defensive staff coaching Edge Rushers or LBs. If Partridge from Michigan comes aboard, it would likely be as Linebackers coach so that would probably leave Williams to coach the Edge Rushers.

At least I hope that's what's at play bc those hires would be a complete and total grand slam. May the football gods smile upon us.

Last edited:
Agree. Don’t see us getting both of these guys. Only one DC job to give, only so much money in the budget for assistant coaches.

But Nick Williams gives Syracuse more coverage of prime areas of the country than Robinson. It is kind of a waste to have two guys from Camden (maybe three or four). A staff with more geographic diversity is a good thing. And it looks like with Colorado in a melt down situation. Because of that, Nick might be in a better position to bring other top people and players with him.

I would be thrilled with either but Nick is probably a better fit.
I think they both will do well. Nick S started out as a DB coach on the Hill and turned out Ok. Im all for giving young smart coaches a chance. Tired of the retread train and buddy team. Would like to see a couple of old pros. The dazzler would be a great addition. Things are going to be very different.

Sure, I guess, but he pretty much looked like he hadn't taken a snap and was just tossed in the deep end and was injured immediately.

It was the reason they had to go to emergency wildcat/bobcat... A great move in hindsight, and how we found out that Villari was actually our # 2 QB.

Not sure what Beck was doing as QB coach, but it's not like our #1 wasn't playing injured.

I think, giving Beck the benefit of the doubt, we prolly should have had a separate QB coach and let him focus on OC (which I am guessing is what he did anyways, hence the problem with CDRW not adequately prepared.)
Or maybe, the reason that CDRW was available in the first place is because he was this bad at Florida? I have no idea how he was he rated as #58 prospect on ESPN.

As to QB 1 depending on the O we are going to run im fine with Dan taking the lead. He runs better than Shrader and can throw as well. Kid is a leader like Shrader and i think the players would rally around him. Carlos has a cannon and maybe the light comes on for him under a new staff. Davis hasnt even had a chance yet so lets see what he can do. Bring in one from the portal and give the frosh from GA a chance and we will be ok. D is going to be the key next year as well as LA returning. We can get to 8 with Dan at the helm.

Or maybe, the reason that CDRW was available in the first place is because he was this bad at Florida? I have no idea how he was he rated as #58 prospect on ESPN.

The truth is probably somewhere in between.

Probably limited but serviceable with a scaled-down playbook and package sets if drilled and repped tailored to his strengths... At least that would be the hope.

Maybe we tried to do that and he simply couldn't do it and froze under pressure. He looked completely unprepared is all I am saying.

Last I'll say on it, as we're on a tangent and off topic for the thread.

The truth is probably somewhere in between.

Probably limited but serviceable with a scaled-down playbook and package sets if drilled and repped.

Maybe we tried to do that and he simply couldn't do it and froze under pressure. He looked completely unprepared is all I am saying.

Might just be a player that has to be out there and learn as he plays which is how have to learn, kinetically. Just a guess.

Your point is quite valid.

So reading the tea leaves, it appears Fran is hiring ERob to be DC and to likely coach the D-Line. And Williams will be part of ERob's defensive staff coaching Edge Rushers or LBs. If Partridge from Michigan comes aboard, it would likely be as Linebackers coach so that would probably leave Williams to coach the Edge Rushers.

At least I hope that's what's at play bc those hires would be a complete and total grand slam. May the football gods smile upon us.
Gonna need different tea leaves. I think, and it's mostly a guess, people need to start to wrap their heads around Williams as DC. It seems like Brown would be the type of new age thinker who would be willing to give a promotion somewhat similar to the risk SU just took on him.

To be clear, I am not equating the two positions. I also agree that a first time HC is best served by coordinators with experience. Just throwing it out there that I wouldn't be surprised by Williams as DC given what we know about Brown.

Pretty certain Nick Williams is joining Brown at Syracuse. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him named DC. Based on his glowing reputation, Nick is on a similar career path as Brown in the coaching community.

Brown made the jump to P5 HC with no coordinator experience. He is exactly the type of coach would promote someone he truly believes.

How would this not surprise you?

I don't care if he has a 'glowing reputation'...he's been a college position coach for ONE season.

Resume
2018 - Georgia - Student Assistant
2019/20 - Georgia - Grad Assistant
2020-22 - Texas A&M - Analyst
2022 - Colorado - Defense Ends

This type of promotion is not similar to Brown's trajectory. Brown has been a college coach for over 10 years and has coordinated defenses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom