Fran Brown Coaching Staff | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Fran Brown Coaching Staff

Brown made the jump to P5 HC with no coordinator experience. He is exactly the type of coach would promote someone he truly believes.
Which is exactly why he needs to have experienced coordinators to help him. We don't need a staff full of folks with no experience at their position. Surround HCFB with some experienced senior staff to help him.

How would this not surprise you?

I don't care if he has a 'glowing reputation'...he's been a college position coach for ONE season.

Resume
2018 - Georgia - Student Assistant
2019/20 - Georgia - Grad Assistant
2020-22 - Texas A&M - Analyst
2022 - Colorado - Defense Ends

This type of promotion is not similar to Brown's trajectory. Brown has been a college coach for over 10 years and has coordinated defenses.
I’m with you here…I’d be surprised if Williams is DC. This screams Erob as DC and Williams as position. As mentioned above Fran and Williams never overlapped at UGA even though I’m sure they still knew each other. On the other hand Williams was analyst/ focus on DL at A&M alongside Erob.

Another situation less likely would be Muschamp as DC and Williams as position. Muschamp and Williams did have 1 year of overlap at UGA. Plus Brown was supposedly saying DC was coming from SEC and Muschamp would fit the bill as well as Erob Ofcourse.

Which is exactly why he needs to have experienced coordinators to help him. We don't need a staff full of folks with no experience at their position. Surround HCFB with some experienced senior staff to help him.
I’m assuming that was part of deal with Wildhack as well. I get if we can pull Erob because of his connections/recruiting prowess that can maybe sacrifice experience some but if no Erob I’d think Wildhack would want experience vs a green coordinator to join Fran.

How would this not surprise you?

I don't care if he has a 'glowing reputation'...he's been a college position coach for ONE season.

Resume
2018 - Georgia - Student Assistant
2019/20 - Georgia - Grad Assistant
2020-22 - Texas A&M - Analyst
2022 - Colorado - Defense Ends

This type of promotion is not similar to Brown's trajectory. Brown has been a college coach for over 10 years and has coordinated defenses.
I'm not trying to justify the potential decision, or equate the positions, or trying to convince you of anything. Simply stating I wouldn't be surprised. It's an opinion Phat. One of the few things I am in charge of is what would or would not surprise me. I understand that you would be stunned if it happens.

Remind me again of your opinion of the possibility of SU hiring a HC with no HC experience.

Then one would think Williams really wants out of Colorado.
Or he wants to work with Elijah again, if he's coming here. Reminder, when Fran did the Zoom call with the recruits, he said the DC was coming from the SEC. Certainly sounds like Fran thought he had a done deal with Elijah.

Partridge was a co-DC at Ole Miss for three seasons. If he comes to SU and Elijah doesn't, I could see Partridge as DC. Either way, I don't see Nick Williams as DC.
In a perfect world we get all these guys. Hope we do. Agree Partridge or even Robinson would be better candidates for DC than Williams. Haven’t heard any rumors about Partridge and Syraxusenfor a long time. Hope that is a real possibility.

Then one would think Williams really wants out of Colorado.
He’s not alone.

After what Prime did to Sean I think the entire staff wants out especially since they were the ones who got these kids ready to play. All the recruits are backing out.

No easy games in the Big 12 they might be silently fearing a 1-11 type season next year.

He’s not alone.

After what Prime did to Sean I think the entire staff wants out especially since they were the ones who got these kids ready to play. All the recruits are backing out.

No easy games in the Big 12 they might be silently fearing a 1-11 type season next year.
Yep it’s a clown show and Prime will bail the minute they have any success on the field, or will bail when they bomb out again

Certainly sounds like a coach saying a "goodbye" thanks to primetime...

He's coming to SU. And it has to be to work for his mentor Elijah Robinson & his BFF Fran Brown bc that's the only thing that makes sense.

While I'm sure HCFB is free to choose his own staff, there are likely at least some limits in place as a 1st time HC. So there's just no way ADJW would "approve" someone as inexperienced as Williams to be a DC for a 1st time HC. And frankly, I'm quite certain HCFB wouldn't make such a poor DC hire to begin with - not with all the more qualified coaches he knows, starting with his reputed "brother-from-another-mother" ERob. HCFB is a sharp guy and naming Williams DC wouldn't be a sharp move - doesn't fit his profile. But Williams will be a great addition to the defensive staff and a solid Southern state recruiter. Hopefully he brings a few Colorado de-commits with him.

So it looks like Fran is getting his boy ERob as DC.

Last edited:
Gonna need different tea leaves. I think, and it's mostly a guess, people need to start to wrap their heads around Williams as DC. It seems like Brown would be the type of new age thinker who would be willing to give a promotion somewhat similar to the risk SU just took on him.

To be clear, I am not equating the two positions. I also agree that a first time HC is best served by coordinators with experience. Just throwing it out there that I wouldn't be surprised by Williams as DC given what we know about Brown.
You may be right. But that would not be smart. And I don't think ADJW would hire a man who's first major staff hire would be such a blatantly obvious mistake.

There is absolutely NOTHING on Williams resume to suggest he's ready to be a Defensive Coordinator anywhere - let alone at a P5 school with a 1st time head coach? Why anyone would think HCFB would make such a bad DC hire is beyond me. Williams looks like a young, energetic great up-and-coming position coach with Southern recruiting chops who HCFB is wisely adding to his staff - not hiring to be his DC. But I guess we'll see.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom