Fran Brown is no different than every other clown here | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Fran Brown is no different than every other clown here

You're absolutely right.

This was a full team and coaching loss. I'm encouraged that they fought back and played better as the game wore on. I'm not going to lose faith in a young staff that's in new positions because of one play and some of the takes I've seen today are ridiculous. The defense played a pretty great game and had one horrible play. The offense is why we lost that game, and even that was just 2 bad plays.

If the team doesn't learn from mistakes, then that's an issue.

And the staff is going to lose games for us? Did the staff throw a pick 6? I don't blame the loss on anyone. The best staffs in the world lose games. The ACC is looking like a pretty solid conference with no bad teams except maybe UNC. There are a lot of wacky scores already this year. I wonder if Cal is ready to burn it all down after putting up 9 against FSU.
I will add an addendum to my prior posts. I'm on a keyboard so reading my tone is tricky and I admit I had a tendency to fly off the handle in my younger years. I'm not ready to burn it all down. I'm simply stating that our goal should be to get to a bowl game, not the ACC championship game. I've seen nothing from this staff to suggest otherwise at this point. We have OL issues, secondary issues(either playbook or personnel or both), WR depth issues, and an inexperienced staff. It'll be a fight to get to a bowl. I'll accept 4-8, prefer 8-4, and predict somewhere in between. I like Fran so far, I just recognize him to be the first year HC that he is.

This thread has jumped the shark. New game week, obviously things to look for over the next three to four games including how staff and players respond. Plenty of season to go. Moving on.
Im Out Over There GIF by Dean Martin

You're absolutely right.

This was a full team and coaching loss. I'm encouraged that they fought back and played better as the game wore on. I'm not going to lose faith in a young staff that's in new positions because of one play and some of the takes I've seen today are ridiculous. The defense played a pretty great game and had one horrible play. The offense is why we lost that game, and even that was just 2 bad plays.

If the team doesn't learn from mistakes, then that's an issue.

And the staff is going to lose games for us? Did the staff throw a pick 6? I don't blame the loss on anyone. The best staffs in the world lose games. The ACC is looking like a pretty solid conference with no bad teams except maybe UNC. There are a lot of wacky scores already this year. I wonder if Cal is ready to burn it all down after putting up 9 against FSU.
The pick 6 is kinda related to them going heavy on TE

I will add an addendum to my prior posts. I'm on a keyboard so reading my tone is tricky and I admit I had a tendency to fly off the handle in my younger years. I'm not ready to burn it all down. I'm simply stating that our goal should be to get to a bowl game, not the ACC championship game. I've seen nothing from this staff to suggest otherwise at this point. We have OL issues, secondary issues(either playbook or personnel or both), WR depth issues, and an inexperienced staff. It'll be a fight to get to a bowl. I'll accept 4-8, prefer 8-4, and predict somewhere in between. I like Fran so far, I just recognize him to be the first year HC that he is.

Your criticism is perfectly reasonable. I don't agree with all of it, but the world would be boring if we all did.

Some of the posts are really deriving a lot out of one football game.

This thread has jumped the shark. New game week, obviously things to look for over the next three to four games including how staff and players respond. Plenty of season to go. Moving on.
Im Out Over There GIF by Dean Martin
It's only Monday. Some like me have learned to stay off this board after a tough loss so I wasn't ready to discuss until today. I'll move on tomorrow.

It's only Monday. Some like me have learned to stay off this board after a tough loss so I wasn't ready to discuss until today. I'll move on tomorrow.

The board will go the other way if we win 50-7 on Saturday.

Seriously. Ok let's give Fran 5 years and pass judgement. Grob, Shaf and Dino had close to 20 years between them. Check out the win loss total and also check out the in-league results. I certainly hope that he does better. Time will tell.
A worse loss then this which cost us a game was Northwestern in 2012. After being down 35-7, we got the score back to 35-34. We have the ball at the end of the game, with about 2:51 left. We have a 1st and 10 at the Northwestern 21 yard line. I tell everyone around me great comeback win run 2 plays kick the field goal on win. What does our head coach allow Hacket to do on 1st down?
Throws the ball to the end zone for a TD, and leaves 2:44 on the clock, and with the time and a bad call right in front of me we end up losing the game.
That is a bad loss when you have control of the outcome and give it back to the other team.

I agree but I think people should stop for a second and think about how absolutely crazy that sounds

It's just a given that's accepted by everyone too
If he was a proven game day coach, program manager, on top of his proven recruiting, he wouldn’t be here.

Getting in early based on a known trait is not crazy, as long there was a credible plan to address known weaknesses.

It’s a 12 rd fight. Let’s chill

A worse loss then this which cost us a game was Northwestern in 2012. After being down 35-7, we got the score back to 35-34. We have the ball at the end of the game, with about 2:51 left. We have a 1st and 10 at the Northwestern 21 yard line. I tell everyone around me great comeback win run 2 plays kick the field goal on win. What does our head coach allow Hacket to do on 1st down?
Throws the ball to the end zone for a TD, and leaves 2:44 on the clock, and with the time and a bad call right in front of me we end up losing the game.
That is a bad loss when you have control of the outcome and give it back to the other team.
Another 2012 parallel.

I thought we should’ve run the ball at least a couple of times in the red zone on the last score against Stanford. However, that’s what happens when you don’t have a running game. We had to take the scoring pass when it presented itself. But, yeah, it was obvious what was about to happen. We should’ve called timeouts earlier in the Stanford FG drive to preserve time for us to get the ball back, even if it was just 30 seconds. Alas, we didn’t.

Yep. There is literally NOTHING going on other than Elic A on that side of the ball. And from the snap Daniels was laser locked on him. If Barron doesn’t slide over he basically doesn’t even need to be there. That was his only play and for whatever reason he broke late.

Hate to toss a player under the bus but it’s what happened.

3 down is debatable but this wasn’t a coverage issue. It was an execution issue in my opinion.
I’ll have to re-watch. I know JB has been forced to play some LB, but even still, he has been a bit of a disappointment this season. Hopefully it’s getting used to a new role?
The only think i recall now is the catch on the sidelines, and there was little room there. I would think if there is help inside Lewis would have jumped the out?

I’ll have to re-watch. I know JB has been forced to play some LB, but even still, he has been a bit of a disappointment this season. Hopefully it’s getting used to a new role?
The only think i recall now is the catch on the sidelines, and there was little room there. I would think if there is help inside Lewis would have jumped the out?
I mean JB was in the OLB role for the game at that time, but if you watch the play he’s basically lateral to Lewis as Elic A is moving with nothing to do. And by the time he reacted it was too late.

If that was Cisco in that spot that ball would have been picked.

Last edited:
We had to take the scoring pass when it presented itself.
I think he caught the ball before crossing the plane of the endzone. Would’ve been unheard of to take a knee at the one inch line… but in hindsight.

For that kid 2.5 at most

Agreed. Daniels threw the pass in just over 2 seconds. He had zero pressure on him. Receiver ran a straight line sprint. CB played him tight off the line but never jammed him, didn’t make any contact, just ran with him.

We conservatively thought they’d throw for the sticks and Stanford went home run ball instead. If we’d played that a smidge differently it’s unlikely they convert.

As an aside, two plays before, Stanford had a 2nd and 20. The same CB was 8 yards off the WR at the snap and they threw a simple pitch and catch for 11. When he caught the ball the CB #3 was still 3 or 4 yards off the receiver. We completely conceded them 10 yards to even get in position to begin with.

Last edited:
agree this thread now is nothing about the coach. Close and move on. Gripes are us to object.

I lot of people are angry, disappointed, and feel they have been lied to or misled. The truth is that we have a young, inexperienced head coach who is learning on the run. Most of us expected way more than should have been expected, including myself. The truth of what this season will bring will not come from Holy Cross.

I have followed Stanford and UNLV so far this season and concluded that these two games will be the forecast of the season. I thought that Stanford should have been a fairly easy win and UNLV would be a difficult game on the road. We've already seen the results of Stanford. What the staff does before the trip to Vegas I believe will be a good indicator of how we respond for the rest of the season.

Whatever the outcome, I think most of us will continue to be hopeful for this season and beyond. Perhaps a quieting medicine while watching might be helpful for the remainder of the season ;)

2-1 as a HC. There is nothing to extrapolate that is worth anything after 3 games. The only reason this thread exists is because the OP had a take he wanted to justify from the summer.

I lot of people are angry, disappointed, and feel they have been lied to or misled. The truth is that we have a young, inexperienced head coach who is learning on the run...
Whatever the outcome, I think most of us will continue to be hopeful for this season and beyond.
We'll see what we have after UNLV. HC tells us nothing.
We really don't know / won't know until we get about 3/4s in.
Huge buildup w the recruiting & whatnot. We all fell for it. I was more excited for Stanford than I had been since before the meltdown against Clemson a few years ago. Bit of a letdown on the DART front. Every week there is some new issue. Tackling game 1, specials game 2, flatness & outcoached & penalties & uncharacteristic mistakes game 3.

Can he / is he learning? We'll see. Truth is, nobody knows. I hope so.

D - no
A - in pressers, but not on the field
R - somewhat
T - somewhat

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online