Fran Brown | Page 43 | Syracusefan.com

Fran Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.
(1) This is only his second season at Georgia. A "cup of coffee" you called Dino's 2 years as head coach at 2 different MAC schools.

(2) He knows NOTHING about "running a program" - period. How often is the DB coach calling plays, managing the end of the game, talking to the press after a tough loss?

As for that "pinnacle of success" stuff - Greg Robinson had just coached a defense to a national championship, and had Super Bowl rings from his time in Denver. How did that work out?

This is a terrible stretch of a hire and you know it. You're just deluding yourself.
1) I don't know what you're even talking about. I was a Dino believer when we hired him. Had no issue with his tenure at Bowling Green.

2) You're saying he's learned nothing. Gotcha.

You don't even have your facts right about Greg Robinson.

Time may tell if this is a terrible hire, but the thinking behind it is sound. There's an actual vision here.

Yeah I doubt it. I think you see good hires at both coordinator positions
I mean, at this point it'd be weird to hire away an OC and DC from a P5 or G5 school. Feels like that's a recipe for a power struggle if they're more--classically--qualified to be HC.

Those teams had records ranging from really, really bad to mediocre.
AHC
Temple 2016 - 10-3
Baylor 2017 - 1-11
Baylor 2018 - 7-6

Co-DC
Temple 2019 - 8-5

Baylor year 1 and year 2 were under Rhule as they rebuilt the program. They won 11 games in year 3 while Brown was back at Temple. Brown was primarily credited with rebuilding the talent on that roster. Trying to give an impression that he wasn’t critical to these programs being rebuilt or successful is less than fair.

If the hiring process results in Brown, who has 1 year of Co-DC and no head coaching experience, I think it's a disappointment. I get how some of you may have concerns with Bob Chesney, but he is an experienced and successful program builder, coach, and developer of talent. He has recruiting contacts in all of the key recruiting states and high schools.

If Syracuse doesn't hire Chesney, BC will after next season and we will all see how successful he is.
and maybe this year with Chesney coming into the dome with HC. Although their roster will be depleted

We’ve already learned that successful G5 or below heavy coaching staffs staffs struggle to recruit here at a high level. Dino taught us that. He had a quality G5 staff that he mostly carried over to here and it didn’t really translate all that well.
Dino had never built a program before being hired by Syracuse. Two years at 2 schools is not program building. And, he had no recruiting experience in the core recruiting base and he didn't hire coaches who did either. That wouldn't be a concern with Chesney or Brown.

Dino had never built a program before being hired by Syracuse. Two years at 2 schools is not program building. And, he had no recruiting experience in the core recruiting base and he didn't hire coaches who did either. That wouldn't be a concern with Chesney or Brown.
This isn’t a program build. It’s an immediate talent infusion project. Chesney isn’t doing that.

There is not a perfect candidate

Chesney has never coached, recruited, or built a staff at this level.

Brown has never run a program, been a HC, or been more than Co-DC.

Both seem to have incredible futures, tremendous character, and charisma.

Brown, to me, has the clear edge in recruiting. Chesney, to me, has the clear edge in overall coaching

Both seem like great leaders of young men

So to me, you really can’t go wrong with either. However my gut tells me Brown will be better getting talent here. Get the talent here and figure out how to coach them after that. I’m over getting low level kids and someone telling me they’re diamonds in the rough

I'm very excited about Fran Brown, and there are others in our candidate pool I would not have been excited about.

Would be funny if his O system is what we saw our last 3 games, given you being all in.

Brown, to me, has the clear edge in recruiting. Chesney, to me, has the clear edge in overall coaching

So to me, you really can’t go wrong with either. However my gut tells me Brown will be better getting talent here. Get the talent here and figure out how to coach them after that. I’m over getting low level kids and someone telling me they’re diamonds in the rough
Candle however has done all of those things

So just scanning the internet and X/Twitter, the main consensus is this would be a good hire. Lots of Georgia fans are extremely complimentary of Brown about not only his recruiting, but also his player development. I think the narrative changes quickly if he’s hired and we strike gold quickly in the portal.

Here’s the thing, we’ve been mediocre for two decades so at this point let’s swing for the fences. This probable hire has grown on me quickly.

Would be funny if his O system is what we saw our last 3 games, given you being all in.
I suspect it's not, because it would be difficult to recruit to that.

To me, Chesney is a Vanderbilt kind of hire, and Brown has the upside of Mike Locksley.

Going from the bottom of the ACC to 9th (exact middle) would be a minor miracle. We would need to call him Saint Fran. But being 9th cannot win you games on talent alone.

There is a ton of parity in the ACC outside the Top 2-3 teams and the bottom 2-3 teams. Talent isn't going to make a difference. Coaching is what will. Going for a talent guy makes no sense whatsoever.

If Chesney is not qualified enough, fine don't hire him. But you don't go out an hire another unqualified guy. There are easily a half dozen better candidates.
I’m going to have to completely disagree with the bold. Any coach in the universe of any sport will tell you they can’t be an elite program without top talent. If you don’t Have talent to develop, then you have a very low ceiling for growth. Right now I firmly believe a huge part of our problem is a talent deficiency, particularly at key offensive positions, and depth virtually everywhere. Brown (or insert another recruiter) can help fix that.

now if you (or anyone else for that matter) believes we actually are a top 5 - 9 talented team in the ACC right now and are merely underperforming due to gross coaching negligence, than I would be more inclined to agree with your stance. But I just dont see us that way right now.

The first 2-3 years whomever is the HC will need to coach up bottom half of the ACC talent. We aren't getting top talent over night. If they survive that, then things can take off.

Point being he has a much better and complete resume than either of those guys
Agreed, not going to argue that as far as HC chops.

I just don’t seen him being successful infusing talent here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom