Fran Brown | Page 42 | Syracusefan.com

Fran Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.
All things equal - you take the guy that brings the talent.

Chesney will bring over his HC guys, will manage a well run program, but will struggle to improve our talent level and therefore has a natural built in ceiling.
That is a much simpler way of saying what I was trying to convey

Mr.-Brown-Can-Moo-Can-You-by-Penguin-Random-House-1.jpg

How do you whiff on Chesney, unless the dalliance with Mullen hurt his feelings.

Money??

He wanted more than we felt an HC with no FBS experience should get?

...Or we had requirements for his staff he didn't like, since he's a HC with no FBS experience.

I outlined a scenario where both guys strengths and weaknesses became apparent. You can argue about the feasibility of that scenario all you want, but if both came to pass as I described, I’m arguing Brown is better for us. Now if Brown can’t deliver a big recruiting uptick, and fails on the coaching side, then he is going down as a failed hire quickly.

same could be said about Chesney as well, if his supposed strengths (gameday coaching and program management) turn out to be weaknesses at the P5 level, then he’s going to be a failure of epic proportions as well.
We’ve already learned that successful G5 or below heavy coaching staffs staffs struggle to recruit here at a high level. Dino taught us that. He had a quality G5 staff that he mostly carried over to here and it didn’t really translate all that well.

Now we want to be above average in the ACC and we’re going to target a FCS or MAC coach that I guarantee will carry over staff from those levels - and we expect things to be different on the talent front?

That’s the part of this I don’t get. At all.

I don’t dislike Chesney. And calling him milk toast or meek was more tongue in cheek than anything. But we are a program in need of a talent infusion and I really struggle seeing him being able to come over from HC and drive that.

Last edited:
Money??

He wanted more than we felt an HC with no FBS experience should get?

...Or we had requirements for his staff he didn't like, since he's a HC with no FBS experience.
Or you interviewed both and Brown had a better plan. Crazy talk I know.

don‘t think we whiffed on any of the 3. And I also think the Mullen stuff was a big joke, don’t think he was ever a serious candidate because he didn’t want the job

(1) This is only his second season at Georgia. A "cup of coffee" you called Dino's 2 years as head coach at 2 different MAC schools.

(2) He knows NOTHING about "running a program" - period. How often is the DB coach calling plays, managing the end of the game, talking to the press after a tough loss?

As for that "pinnacle of success" stuff - Greg Robinson had just coached a defense to a national championship, and had Super Bowl rings from his time in Denver. How did that work out?

This is a terrible stretch of a hire and you know it. You're just deluding yourself.
Thank you for articulating that to save me some keyboard strokes.

(1) This is only his second season at Georgia. A "cup of coffee" you called Dino's 2 years as head coach at 2 different MAC schools.

(2) He knows NOTHING about "running a program" - period. How often is the DB coach calling plays, managing the end of the game, talking to the press after a tough loss?

As for that "pinnacle of success" stuff - Greg Robinson had just coached a defense to a national championship, and had Super Bowl rings from his time in Denver. How did that work out?

This is a terrible stretch of a hire and you know it. You're just deluding yourself.
Didn't he spend time with Schiano? That guy is a great... I can't even sarcastically say nice things about him. Bile was rising.

I think people excited about this hire would be the same people that would be excited about any hire.

Will it work? Who knows it all comes down to who he has connections with to be OC - DC - Special Teams guy. If he is a recruiter then I imagine he will not want to run a ground and pound type offense. Seems we will be going back to some sort of 4-3 defense as well. But his coordinators will make or break him because he currently doesn't have the X and O chops to run the program.

Bringing in talent is one thing but putting your players in a position to be successful is another.

Well he was an AHC under Matt Rhule (hell of a coach) for 3 years and a co-DC at Temple one year. So it’s not like he’s only been a position coach.

But yes it’s definitely risky. What will define Wildhack is how he mitigates that risk.

Candle is not going to be able to recruit here and would be lucky to be Dino 2.0.
Those teams had records ranging from really, really bad to mediocre.

2 - that’s almost certainly untrue. There are thousands of coaches out there (at programs of all levels) and they all have various ideas about what they would do if they were the head man. I am certain Brown has a plan, and outlined it in his interview. Obviously Wildhack and whomever else was on the panel believes in it. Are there things he (and every other aforementioned coach) doesn’t know yet, and won’t know until an unexpected situation slaps him in the fact at 2 am the night before a big game? Absolutely. But pretending the guy knows nothing is just as nonsense an argument as pretending he’s about to be a perfect game manager.

how often are HC calling plays on the sidelines? When’s the last time Dino busted out a call sheet and did it successfully? In all honesty, this part should be the least of our concerns if we tab Brown as the guy. He’s going to be bringing in coordinators to call things for him, so he can focus on other things on game day.

If the hiring process results in Brown, who has 1 year of Co-DC and no head coaching experience, I think it's a disappointment. I get how some of you may have concerns with Bob Chesney, but he is an experienced and successful program builder, coach, and developer of talent. He has recruiting contacts in all of the key recruiting states and high schools.

If Syracuse doesn't hire Chesney, BC will after next season and we will all see how successful he is.

What’s with the million posts dissecting what JW said in a press conference about what he was looking for? Who gives a crap. The guy is going to hire the coach he thinks gives us the best opportunity to be successful regardless of what he specifically said in some dumb press conference.

What genius coordinators are going to want to work for a guy with no experience?
Being plugged in the way he is I'm sure he has a list of similarly young and innovative guys chopping at the bit to get their shot. The most innovative guys tend to be those you haven't heard of at the time.

Or we're able to get a bigger name because he will be hands off and let him do his thing. It's all upside.

If he's able to identify and bring in talented kids, a lot of coordinators would want to work with him.

My thought on Fran, dynamic communicator and relationship builder. Would be amazing with recruits and alumni. The guy can coach up talent. Downside is HC experience, but this is where I take the wait and see attitude, it’s all who he brings in as coordinators. Fran knows a lot of people and is well respected I hope he can bring in an amazing DC and OC. If this happens color me excited, bottom line is we will never improve the program to where we all want it to be without improving the talent. This would be a high risk/high reward hire, but necessary especially in conference realignment, we need to do everything we can to improve our story.

I outlined a scenario where both guys strengths and weaknesses became apparent. You can argue about the feasibility of that scenario all you want, but if both came to pass as I described, I’m arguing Brown is better for us. Now if Brown can’t deliver a big recruiting uptick, and fails on the coaching side, then he is going down as a failed hire quickly.

same could be said about Chesney as well, if his supposed strengths (gameday coaching and program management) turn out to be weaknesses at the P5 level, then he’s going to be a failure of epic proportions as well.

Going from the bottom of the ACC to 9th (exact middle) would be a minor miracle. We would need to call him Saint Fran. But being 9th cannot win you games on talent alone.

There is a ton of parity in the ACC outside the Top 2-3 teams and the bottom 2-3 teams. Talent isn't going to make a difference. Coaching is what will. Going for a talent guy makes no sense whatsoever.

If Chesney is not qualified enough, fine don't hire him. But you don't go out an hire another unqualified guy. There are easily a half dozen better candidates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom