Fran Brown | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Fran Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he's just reiterating what Wildhack's stated requirements were, although I'm sure they could change.

Ed Orgeron is always my go-to example of a guy who was never a coordinator.

Dabo.

You have to be able to coach also no matter how good of a recruiter you are hyped up to be when you are the person in charge you need to be able to win or the recruits will leave...

Have seen this kid play for several years was surprised when saw he was committed to the Buffaloes. He will be good at the next level but wont be a true freshman starter like most QB's now a days.

Locksley was at Bama for 3 years including one as OC, yet Maryland hasn't taken off. They are slightly better than his predecessors but still below the Fridge days.
Fair but on this go round specifically the last 3 seasons we are seeing things improve there .. he is 22-16 over the last three seasons and coming off back to back bowl wins. Has the pain of UM and OSU each year to deal with. The Fridge I think had a bit easier go in the old ACC vs Locksley in the B1G. Also boat raced Dino so there's that.

I would generally agree but I think the portal changes the dynamic.
Sure. #2's are more willing to go to lesser teams for playing time. And we lose our #1's to go warm the bench at LSU, Ohio state, etc...

I just don't see our recruiting rank going up without a big name, hype, or winning. Our best class since 2002? #44 in 2007. We've been ranked over 50 for 20 years, AND haven't fielded a consistent winning product. Thats tough to change.

Last edited:
That's like some real 'Da Vinci Code' level cryptic. Not.

Wonder what it really means though?
It was the main reason this thread kicked back up a notch this morning

Thamel is wrong. Axe is wrong. ESPN is wrong. Board rumors are wrong. Waters and Ditota know nothing. No one knows, but you, but you don't post anything until well after and then it's only cryptic riddles. I'm telling you guys, it was always going to snow last week! Read between the lines, idiots.
I foresee a timeout in your condescending future.

Curious question

If Kirby Smart retired today

How many people at Georgia get the job before Brown. 1? 2? None?

Georgia is of course, not Syracuse, and they’d fish in a much bigger pond, but if they had to go in house.. does Brown get the job?
No, I don’t believe he would

I'm just here to watch people attack one another
Meme Reaction GIF

Bottom line is, you can find something to complain about all the candidates. There is no perfect fit. I think we need to be looking at the positives each coach brings and find the one whose positives most clearly outweigh their negatives.

I am not sure who is the best fit. I really am not. I suspect John might be in the same boat.
Also need to understand how these coaches plan to overcome their negatives.

• Chesney: who would he hire to his staff? To me, this is the only question.
  • Candle: what is your plan to recruit the 5 hour radius?
  • Brown: too big a leap, would he accept a DC position?
  • Mendenhall: has no negatives, hope he is a viable option
  • White:
  • Cignetti:
  • ?

Locksley was at Bama for 3 years including one as OC, yet Maryland hasn't taken off. They are slightly better than his predecessors but still below the Fridge days.
Agreed. But Brown isn't Locksley.

How Brown lays out his vision for the program in his interview(s) is what will likely determine JW's choice. How he compares to another coach with a similar coaching profile would probably be considered but likely not a determining factor in whether JW ultimately selects him.

If Brown brought in Addazzio as AHC/OL would that help ease things? I don't love the Dazzler, but he has experience coaching in the ACC and while mostly mediocre, might help?

While he may have it easy recruiting for Georgia.
You have to think this gives him an upper hand at knowing exactly what elite talent looks like. He’s coaching the best of the best every day. He’s making connections with these guys.
A head coach doesn’t need to be a coordinator. He needs to be able to lead the team. Lead the coaching staff. Instill a winning culture, which coming from Georgia he would know something about this.
I wouldn’t be mad about Fran Brown.
Nor would I. What better than someone watching the best team in college and coaching them up while making recruiting ties and seeing the best discipline and organizational techniques someone could possibly use. Saban, smart, and now brown.

If Brown brought in Addazzio as AHC/OL would that help ease things? I don't love the Dazzler, but he has experience coaching in the ACC and while mostly mediocre, might help?
Yes. That group has been under developed/utilized. We need that, or we're toast.

Curious question

If Kirby Smart retired today

How many people at Georgia get the job before Brown. 1? 2? None?

Georgia is of course, not Syracuse, and they’d fish in a much bigger pond, but if they had to go in house.. does Brown get the job?

Can't do this. First, they have their staff based on Kirby staying (btw, Kirby's buyout is north of $90MM right now, that's how much certainty they have with their HC and subsequently their staff).

Second, let's say Kirby decided to retire to a life of leisure on a boat somewhere, the first call is going to be Dan Lanning. To your point though, Fran isn't getting that job. You can't do a count of how many people because he would never get into the pool of candidates (unless something wild happened). Georiga is at the top of the mountain right now, it's a premier gig. We aren't in the same universe as them. They have won back to back titles and are almost a lock for the CFP this year as well. That is insane.

To be clear, I have concerns about going with someone like Fran Brown, but you can't measure his potential based on your hypothetical. It's not apples to apples.

SU will need to make a riskier choice. But SU will also not have a $90MM buyout attached to their choice.

I got swept up in the Mullen hurricane as much as anyone. But if we are looking at Chesney (my choice now) vs Fran, that isn't terrible for us.

Can't do this. First, they have their staff based on Kirby staying (btw, Kirby's buyout is north of $90MM right now, that's how much certainty they have with their HC and subsequently their staff).

Second, let's say Kirby decided to retire to a life of leisure on a boat somewhere, the first call is going to be Dan Lanning. To your point though, Fran isn't getting that job. You can't do a count of how many people because he would never get into the pool of candidates (unless something wild happened). Georiga is at the top of the mountain right now, it's a premier gig. We aren't in the same universe as them. They have won back to back titles and are almost a lock for the CFP this year as well. That is insane.

To be clear, I have concerns about going with someone like Fran Brown, but you can't measure his potential based on your hypothetical. It's not apples to apples.

SU will need to make a riskier choice. But SU will also not have a $90MM buyout attached to their choice.

I got swept up in the Mullen hurricane as much as anyone. But if we are looking at Chesney (my choice now) vs Fran, that isn't terrible for us.

Totally get it. Information we’ll never know is how hot of a commodity for a HC job is Fran Brown, really?

Are we competing against ourselves? Seems like that might be the case.

Idk. Either one I guess but I’m torn with either one lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors