Fran Brown | Page 64 | Syracusefan.com

Fran Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can’t imagine we’d hire a guy if we had to wait until January to have him full time. I’m sure it was part of the deal he’s coming on right away, he’s not a coordinator so it’s easier to cover for the loss from a Georgia perspective.

you think he is telling a guy playing for a NC to leave? He might pull double duty but I dont think you tell a guy to leave his team like that.
I would think we would want him to go win a NC with Georgia and bring some of that luster to SU.

Not sure if there would be any conflict of interest recruiting wise, but I'm sure that could be worked out.

I would hope he can double-dip as SUs next HC and finish out his coaching (not recruiting) responsibilities at GA.

I really was strongly against the hire initially but I do think we have to look ourselves in the mirror. What we've been doing is not working. We're not the kind of job who can hire away proven P5 coaches either.

This certainly feels risky as hell but we don't win, and haven't won consistently in a long, long time. I guess let's take the shot
That's sort of where I am as well. I don't really want high risk at this point with so much on the line, but I am up for something much different than we've been doing the past 20 years or so. Brown's ability to recruit could be a game changer, who knows. Effffff it... I'm in.

HIRE BROWN

Good lord, you are talking about getting the casual fan excited. Well, these casual fans don't even know who Dan Mullens is and they don't care. The casual fans will go to games when the team starts winning. So hiring a "named coach" doesn't mean anything to to the rest of Onondaga County.

Dan Mullen is on TV every Saturday in the studio or doing games for ESPN. I think this is a bit of a reach to say that nobody knows who he is.

He's never called plays - at all. I don't care if he's the f-ing Rain Man of recruiters. This could go bad fast.
This could also go good...fast. We literally dont know

Last edited:
Leaving for a bowl game vs leaving for a NC.

I could see him doing both since he is a position coach. But I also would think Kirby and Him would have the discussion and we would accept it with some more discussion.

I wouldn't be surprised if he lands more four star kids his first two months than we have in two years
jack nicholson oscars GIF

I wouldn't be surprised if he lands more four star kids his first two months than we have in two years

How did that work out for Deion. Kinda kidding but 4*'s are worthless if not coached well.

Dan Mullen is on TV every Saturday in the studio or doing games for ESPN. I think this is a bit of a reach to say that nobody knows who he is.
I don't think the "Casual Fan" takes note of who is giving them game updates. Everyone on this board, sure but not the person that just flips on the TV for scores or background noise.

You may be in the minority on this.

Hiring Fran Brown is NOT going to get people excited about SU football. Hoping for the best for the guy, but this isn't a hire that will pump juice into the fanbase. Maybe it does with people here on this website who are the die-hards of the die-hards, but for the rest of Onondaga County it won't.

I am actually shocked this is the hire they are making. Praying for the best and for this to work out. We will see.

Wildhack and the brass know this. They know he will be on the shortleash with the fanbase and a lot of folks will be wait-and-see. It is what it is.

He's the best we could get.

Here's hoping he wildly outperforms expectations.

No one will be shocked if he underperforms or can't handle the gig.

I really was strongly against the hire initially but I do think we have to look ourselves in the mirror. What we've been doing is not working. We're not the kind of job who can hire away proven P5 coaches either.

This certainly feels risky as hell but we don't win, and haven't won consistently in a long, long time. I guess let's take the shot

We survived 4 years of GRob and Marrone had us back to the pre GRob level by year 2. By year 4, we had our best team since 2001.

If this doesn't work out, we'll hire someone else. We'll be fine.

Lally is being built, and we sunk all the money into the Dome. ACC checks, while not as big as the upcoming B1G and SEC, are still big enough.

We're not going anywhere.

If Brown is the guy it could end up being a trainwreck, and if it is we at least won't likely be beholden to some crazy buyout, so 4 years from now you just do it again. Guys like Chesney will still be out there.

Id rather take a flyer on a guy who can flat out recruit with little coaching experience than the reverse. Who knows how Fran will be . He may be a great coach, we just don't know because he hasn't been given the chance yet. Ideally you want a guy with coaching experience and recruiting chops but how many of those guys are out there? Comparing this to Colorado , Deion will be successful because he will eventually have so much talent going through there. Tough to replace an entire roster in one season.

Look at what happened in Temple. They had Fran as a finalist, decided on Rod Carey who had experience and success and he lasted 3 years.

Give me a guy who can bring in players. Period. Then see where the chips fall as far as coaching goes. The risk is worth the possible reward.

Wildhack and the brass know this. They know he will be on the shortleash with the fanbase and a lot of folks will be wait-and-see. It is what it is.

He's the best we could get.

Here's hoping he wildly outperforms expectations.

No one will be shocked if he underperforms or can't handle the gig.
He's not the best we could get. We could've hired an actual HC of another program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom