Fran Brown's first game grade = B+ | Syracusefan.com

Fran Brown's first game grade = B+

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
Fran Brown did aight.

Solid to get his first win in a game that we should have won.

The good - showed why it was so big to get McCord and keep Gadsden and Allenjr. His team took a punch in the mouth and punched back. Handled the end of the first half in the way that gave his team the chance for points and it paid off. Sideline seemed clean and well organized, DART pays off there.

Needs improvement - it's really all about the defense. Shaky performance on that side of the ball in multiple ways. Seemed clear based on some sideline reactions that there were a few things he was really unhappy about and will want to clean up.

Fran Brown did aight.

Solid to get his first win in a game that we should have won.

The good - showed why it was so big to get McCord and keep Gadsden and Allenjr. His team took a punch in the mouth and punched back. Handled the end of the first half in the way that gave his team the chance for points and it paid off. Sideline seemed clean and well organized, DART pays off there.

Needs improvement - it's really all about the defense. Shaky performance on that side of the ball in multiple ways. Seemed clear based on some sideline reactions that there were a few things he was really unhappy about and will want to clean up.
Yeah I thought it was solid. Feel like the first major decision is what to do with Barron if he continues with the personal fouls. Poor play is one thing, but if he continues with losing the mental game. He’s got to come off the field

And THIS is why you open with a MAC team instead of scheduling hero ball against good P4 teams. Gives a week to work out issues and see live action.
Exactly. We're going to get better. And hopefully quickly. But for a first game with a new staff, lots of new players, and a brand new head coach that's pretty early still in his career to begin with, this was a positive debut.

Defense needs major work. Run defense, rushing the passer in particular. Also, penalties and more missed tackles than I can remember in a while. Unfortunately, we have a well-oiled machine of an offense coming to the Dome next week so time is limited.

Glass half full says all these things can be improved and I have faith Fran and Elijah will get the players attention in the film room.

Defense needs major work. Run defense, rushing the passer in particular. Also, penalties and more missed tackles than I can remember in a while. Unfortunately, we have a well-oiled machine of an offense coming to the Dome next week so time is limited.

Glass half full says all these things can be improved and I have faith Fran and Elijah will get the players attention in the film room.
I don’t know if they be improved in time for Tech, but I’m confident it will improve. I thought the defensive game plan in the first half was timid. In the second half, we had 2 back to back 3 and outs when we finally started winning the LOS and constantly putting on pressure.

It almost felt like we were playing prevent defense all first half against a team that can’t really pass the ball deep. It was odd.

Tackling and angles were disappointing overall.

Exactly. We're going to get better. And hopefully quickly. But for a first game with a new staff, lots of new players, and a brand new head coach that's pretty early still in his career to begin with, this was a positive debut.
Yeah and one thing I saw Elijah change was getting Perry more action in the 2nd half. Perry was showing great push on the center for Ohio. Perry is going to get more run. Tackling and bad angles are fixable. I expect to see better discipline on defense next week. This Ohio QB was good prep for us next week with another running QB. MUST get better pressure on the QB starting first drive. First half our pressure was a bit mid.

Yeah and one thing I saw Elijah change was getting Perry more action in the 2nd half. Perry was showing great push on the center for Ohio. Perry is going to get more run. Tackling and bad angles are fixable. I expect to see better discipline on defense next week. This Ohio QB was good prep for us next week with another running QB. MUST get better pressure on the QB starting first drive. First half our pressure was a bit mid.
I noticed that too. It was a significant change as far as penetration into the backfield. That was basically non existant in the first half.

The coaches made adjustments, the players responded, good outcome. I agree that the defense opened timid, we cannot have the same opening against GATech. Defense improves quickly under most circumstances, let's hope FB & Co. get significant improvement.

Regardless, it was a good win.

Yeah I thought it was solid. Feel like the first major decision is what to do with Barron if he continues with the personal fouls. Poor play is one thing, but if he continues with losing the mental game. He’s got to come off the field

Ya. It’s one game. But my big question is how quickly they’ll make personnel changes.

Hatcher had a terrible game while Meeks made some insane grabs.

Barron was a one-man penalty machine.

Overall, I trust the coaches to adjust their schemes quickly enough to keep us competitive and prepared.

Got a week to prep for GT. Yes, they can run, but we should be able to score a ton on them.

If Wax is injured for a while, it will be interesting to see how they deal with that.

Overall, pretty good. Will get better. But can’t magically make new players, roster is the roster, so want to see how they adjust the pieces.

fran said post game the defense has to be better. his wife cried. and he wants to buy Oronde some champagne. i'll give him a B- , this was ohio.
OIP.iUijnkpWrVDZcQt3NUWOQgHaHa.jpeg

Ya. It’s one game. But my big question is how quickly they’ll make personnel changes.

Hatcher had a terrible game while Meeks made some insane grabs.

Barron was a one-man penalty machine.

Overall, I trust the coaches to adjust their schemes quickly enough to keep us competitive and prepared.

Got a week to prep for GT. Yes, they can run, but we should be able to score a ton on them.

If Wax is injured for a while, it will be interesting to see how they deal with that.

Overall, pretty good. Will get better. But can’t magically make new players, roster is the roster, so want to see how they adjust the pieces.
So the swim move Meeks put on the Ohio DB to get that ball was SEC level talent and effort play. Our WRs are stacked.

Barron to me was the biggest disappointment. Horrendous performance. Inexcusable for his level of experience. And Deuce better learn how to tackle and take better angles if he's going to make it at safety
Yeah he definitely did not perform up to his ability level and then topped it off with frustration penalties. Not a good first outing for him. And Deuce was a good tackler his first time around here so not sure what the heck happened there.

Defensive back and safety tackling was awful. Safeties were bad in general today. Barron was bad. Nobody wrapped up and woah did some guys get deaked.

Need Wax healthy or we’re in trouble. Heard played for Wax and he looks small.

DBacks played way off the ball, numerous times 10 yards off the ball and the safeties were playing 15 yards deep when all they were doing is running it down our throat. We’ll see where it goes from here.

I think that was a great win though. Ohio won 10 games last year and they are well coached. Loved what we did on offense. The Georgia kids and Pena were money as was obviously OG. McCord is great.

The one thing I absolutely loved to see was the passion of Fran Brown, he is gonna be like a lot of the good ones, nice win, but a lot was not acceptable. He will be ripping into the D. But a win is a win, doesn’t mean we won’t clean up some things

Defensive back and safety tackling was awful. Safeties were bad in general today. Barron was bad. Nobody wrapped up and woah did some guys get deaked.

Need Wax healthy or we’re in trouble. Heard played for Wax and he looks small.

DBacks played way off the ball, numerous times 10 yards off the ball and the safeties were playing 15 yards deep when all they were doing is running it down our throat. We’ll see where it goes from here.

I think that was a great win though. Ohio won 10 games last year and they are well coached. Loved what we did on offense. The Georgia kids and Pena were money as was obviously OG. McCord is great.
Yeah seriously it looked to me like we played a Prevent defense the whole first half with how much space we were giving. We have superior athletes at DB I’m not sure what that was all about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rocketjcat

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom