Fran Brown's first game grade = B+ | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Fran Brown's first game grade = B+

Ya. It’s one game. But my big question is how quickly they’ll make personnel changes.

Hatcher had a terrible game while Meeks made some insane grabs.

Barron was a one-man penalty machine.

Overall, I trust the coaches to adjust their schemes quickly enough to keep us competitive and prepared.

Got a week to prep for GT. Yes, they can run, but we should be able to score a ton on them.

If Wax is injured for a while, it will be interesting to see how they deal with that.

Overall, pretty good. Will get better. But can’t magically make new players, roster is the roster, so want to see how they adjust the pieces.
I've seen enough of Hatcher, one ball should have been caught that he couldn't handle and other ones he does not fight or battle for. He is soft. He cost us a win vs. BC last year when the defender ripped the ball from him on the 15- yard line when we were driving for the winning TD.

Last edited:
Defense needs major work. Run defense, rushing the passer in particular. Also, penalties and more missed tackles than I can remember in a while. Unfortunately, we have a well-oiled machine of an offense coming to the Dome next week so time is limited.

Glass half full says all these things can be improved and I have faith Fran and Elijah will get the players attention in the film room.

I’m very concerned about our defense and that hasn’t been the case the last few years. I feel like we look slow with our linebackers but I know this is the first game. Losing Marlow is a huge loss

Reactions: FAL
I've seen enough of Hatcher, one ball should have been caught and other ones he does not fight or battle for. He is soft. He cost us a win vs. BC last year when the defender ripped the ball from him on the 15- yard line when we were driving for the winning TD.

Agree here. After seeing Meeks' performance tonight, I think we'll see him starting over Umari next week vs the Yellow Jackets.

If I was gonna put a grade on it I’d say C, offense was explosive when it needed to be and we have weapons everywhere but man that defense at least from my prospective looked atrocious. I just have a really bad feeling we maybe in for a long season, I pray I am wrong but man we missed so many tackles, and our Dbs are playing off the line way more then I would have imagined and now Marlow hurt is really unsettling.

You’re really not going to like the 2025 schedule, then.
You can say the same for the other team though. Its the first week for everyone (excluding week 0 guys)

The one thing I absolutely loved to see was the passion of Fran Brown, he is gonna be like a lot of the good ones, nice win, but a lot was not acceptable. He will be ripping into the D. But a win is a win, doesn’t mean we won’t clean up some things
We sit behind su bench down low, I have to say, when ohio got that long pitch td, he went on a fire screaming tirade about it on his headset (dunno to who), but we could hear his expletives and his mannerisms were fierce..ERob was on the sideline talking to the D, so it wasnt to him..but he was literally flailing his arms while intensely screaming madly for about 2 min about what I presume were seriously missed asdignments. He was FIRE mad. He was and will be ripping into his D and that performance. Fran around and find out, oh boy

We sit behind su bench down low, I have to say, when ohio got that long pitch td, he went on a fire screaming tirade about it on his headset (dunno to who), but we could hear his expletives and his mannerisms were fierce..ERob was on the sideline talking to the D, so it wasnt to him..but he was literally flailing his arms while intensely screaming madly for about 2 min about what I presume were seriously missed asdignments. He was FIRE mad. He was and will be ripping into his D and that performance. Fran around and find out, oh boy
And rightfully so. The D should collectively be embarrassed about that first half performance. There was a clear improvement in the 2nd half but still a lot to be desired even there with some of the long chunk plays and general dominance on the ground.

And rightfully so. The D should collectively be embarrassed about that first half performance. There was a clear improvement in the 2nd half but still a lot to be desired even there with some of the long chunk plays and general dominance on the ground.
Thst was a bad performance on D, totally bad

My biggest disappointment was the beef. The DL was horrible and the OL wasn’t much better. Better DL play helps everyone behind them. The OL is very slow with no feet. The 2 new OT never moved and I saw very little blocking at the 2nd level from any of them. Reed got steam rolled a few times on the pass rush. Very disappointed.

My biggest disappointment was the beef. The DL was horrible and the OL wasn’t much better. Better DL play helps everyone behind them. The OL is very slow with no feet. The 2 new OT never moved and I saw very little blocking at the 2nd level from any of them. Reed got steam rolled a few times on the pass rush. Very disappointed.
Thought Weatherspoon was the better of the two.

TV had a nice replay of him taking out two guys on one play in run blocking. Looked better to me on pass blocking as well.

I think sparrow didnt do his job. Both Fran and Erob yelled at him hard.

D was disappointing but I expect it to get better. Guys that do not step up will be replaced. Frans not going to continue to use guys that miss assignments and tackle poor.
It may be good that the D looked bad first game. Things to fix immediately versus steam rolling an fcs school.
Ohio is not a bad team. Could see them challenging for a Mac title again.

Yeah he definitely did not perform up to his ability level and then topped it off with frustration penalties. Not a good first outing for him. And Deuce was a good tackler his first time around here so not sure what the heck happened there.

I remember how good a tackler he was the last time we played the Bobcats.

I remember how good a tackler he was the last time we played the Bobcats.
I remember in the past we used to be critical here or there about his pass coverage but his run coverage was always on point as was his tackling in run support. So weird.

maybe I’m wrong here, but seemed like McCord had all day to throw all day long except for about 3 plays. The O line seemed to be pretty good. When you watch the Georgias of the world, the QB rarely gets touched. I’m pretty thrilled with what I saw today

maybe I’m wrong here, but seemed like McCord had all day to throw all day long except for about 3 plays. The O line seemed to be pretty good. When you watch the Georgias of the world, the QB rarely gets touched. I’m pretty thrilled with what I saw today
Yep. Our legal team of Weatherspoon and Washington looked pretty legit!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rocketjcat

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom