Fran Brown's first game grade = B+ | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Fran Brown's first game grade = B+

Stop the run and run the ball. We didn’t do either. It wasn’t just missed assignments, our d line couldn’t get off blocks and couldn’t win one on one matchups. That makes me really concerned.

For a team that practiced so physically and wanted to impose its will, we sure as heck didn’t tackle very well. Holy cow.

We did not run the ball well. This has been under discussed on this board. 126 rushing yards to their 255? What? There was a severe lack of consistency running the ball. We got stuffed on the goal line three times by Ohio. Not Ohio State. With the passing game going well, we lacked a ground and pound rushing attack. Concerning.

You have to be happy with the passing game. Although, McCord is as immobile as advertised. Something to keep an eye on. We’re going to see a ton of blitzes.

It’s game one. Mistakes can be corrected but no one can objectively come away from that game with positive spins except for the pass game. Even there, guys like Hatcher disappointed after getting so much praise in preseason.

I’m still hopeful but GT went from challenging to scary after yesterday’s display. If they could somehow beat GT, THAT would show serious coaching chops.

Stop the run and run the ball. We didn’t do either. It wasn’t just missed assignments, our d line couldn’t get off blocks and couldn’t win one on one matchups. That makes me really concerned.

For a team that practiced so physically and wanted to impose its will, we sure as heck didn’t tackle very well. Holy cow.

We did not run the ball well. This has been under discussed on this board. 126 rushing yards to their 255? What? There was a severe lack of consistency running the ball. We got stuffed on the goal line three times by Ohio. Not Ohio State. With the passing game going well, we lacked a ground and pound rushing attack. Concerning.

You have to be happy with the passing game. Although, McCord is as immobile as advertised. Something to keep an eye on. We’re going to see a ton of blitzes.

It’s game one. Mistakes can be corrected but no one can objectively come away from that game with positive spins except for the pass game. Even there, guys like Hatcher disappointed after getting so much praise in preseason.

I’m still hopeful but GT went from challenging to scary after yesterday’s display. If they could somehow beat GT, THAT would show serious coaching chops.
I don’t think we were trying to run the ball much. Lequint was patient and got his yards moreso in second half. They seemed to be playing a heavy run defense with zone coverage to make Kyle beat them. And he can tear apart a zone like that. Think this is just what Nixon does. He will call a game based on what defense gives him and doesn’t necessarily force things.

Now is when position coaching matters. The season depends on improvement in line play.
i’m of the mindset that coaching isn’t going to drastically change from what it has been. Linemen don’t become road graders overnight because a coach yells at you. I fear Fran’s approach is going to be yelling harder thinking that’s what matters. Teaching matters. Demonstrating technique matters. Yelling is overrated and kids will tune out quickly especially if losses start piling up.

This is a small thing, which ended up paying big dividends...

On the Ohio "fumble" in the 1st Qtr., an impetuous new coach might have been inclined to throw the challenge flag right away. The TV replays seemed to show the runner's knee was down (or at least close enough not to reverse the on-field call). Maybe HCFB received guidance in his headphone from our own replay guys, but not wasting the TO proved to be critical for the success of our TD drive at the end of the half.

Offensively Hatcher was the biggest disappointment for me. After all the talk about him finally putting it together, he looked like the same inconsistent player we've seen here.
I fear I got snookered by the hype surrounding him and my Cali prediction for touchdowns is a horrible call. :)

I don’t think we were trying to run the ball much. Lequint was patient and got his yards moreso in second half. They seemed to be playing a heavy run defense with zone coverage to make Kyle beat them. And he can tear apart a zone like that. Think this is just what Nixon does. He will call a game based on what defense gives him and doesn’t necessarily force things.

If we had run for 300 and thrown for only 120, people would be complaining about McCord and the passing game.

Ohio kept 8 in the box, and we beat their man coverage.

If we had run for 300 and thrown for only 120, people would be complaining about McCord and the passing game.

Ohio kept 8 in the box, and we beat their man coverage.
Precisely. We attacked what we gave them. Honestly I thought the offense was near perfect outside of that first drive. I guess folks were expecting 60 points.

Precisely. We attacked what we gave them. Honestly I thought the offense was near perfect outside of that first drive. I guess folks were expecting 60 points.
There was a series in the second half where they tried to roll out McCord on two successive plays. Didn't work at all. Other than that, the offense was pretty good for a first outing.

Duce’s foot was inbounds on the INT. This is the best I can do on a still shot but slowed down he’s in.

IMG_1836.jpeg

Last edited:
Starting my re-watch, and it's crazy how badly ESPN/ACC Network always mess up the crowd noise audio mixing in the Dome. It was way louder than whatever this crap audio is they're broadcasting
Sound was horrible. At times I wondered if there was anyone in the building.

Point taken but I’ll remain somewhat cautious about our run game until I see more of it. I didn’t see signs of great run blocking last night regardless of what they were giving us or not. I’m open minded that we can. Allen is a good back, which helps a lot.

Exactly - Isn’t this the way it’s supposed to work? Keep doing what they cannot stop, and if they do stop it move on to something else.

I'd give it a C, defense is a huge concern. Everyone on the shuttle bus back to the lot seemed depressed, like we lost.
That’s really sad. The offense and specials played exceeding well. The Dome looked loud and energetic.

People just love to be miserable. It’s a plague on our society.

My dumbass Florida State buddy...

Syracuse may not get to 6 wins. They suck. Their defense is porous. Fren Brewn, or whatever his name is, reflects a deer caught in headlights. Only reason dude pulled recruits is because rando sh- when he was at GA. Dome looked good, surprised by attendance, so that's a positive for ya i guess. I just don't see the orange school winning more than 5 or 6 games. Sorry.
Let him know we appreciate that his school produces the most Only Fans “actresses” in America.

Let's be thankful we aren't Virginia Tech...spent all off-season being hyped as CFP dark horses, then lose to Vanderbilt immediately. Imperfect but solid win, overall I'm still optimistic
If we played Vanderbilt instead of Ohio we would have lost by much more.
Let's not try to deflect to make ourselves feel better about a poor game

That’s really sad. The offense and specials played exceeding well. The Dome looked loud and energetic.

People just love to be miserable. It’s a plague on our society.
20 plus years of crushing underwhelming promises and expectations. Thanks gerg and Hollywood gross!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rocketjcat

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom