Frank and Chukwu were practically worthless out there | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Frank and Chukwu were practically worthless out there

Status
Not open for further replies.
They’re both unathletic, underskilled players. Being inconsistent with plenty of struggles during ACC play is hardly surprising.

Tyus is a far better lead guard than Frank and Buddy is a better off guard for what he provides and what we need. Frank has also been terrible defensively. He can’t move well enough or just isn’t giving the effort to do so consistently. At this point, we need guys that can score and not turn it over or stall the offense every couple possessions.

See Carey shouldn’t be sent to Siberia.
The short leash killed the kids confidence.
Carey shouldn’t be getting starters minutes but from him to be so far off the bench and with Howard’s disengagement it has given Buddy those minutes out of necessity.
I don’t think Carey has gotten the leash that Buddy got.
Now Buddy has earned his minutes but what has happened with Carey is a shame.
I really wish that Carey got more confidence from the staff.
He has struggled but he has to feel like one mistake and he is done. That isn’t good.
Carey is set up to fail. His handle isn’t good enough to be high volume ball handler, yet that’s his role when he plays. Since we don’t run much of an offense, he’s left hung out to dry trying to do things hes not comfortable or ready to do consistently.

Buddy can basically float around and find open spots to get kick outs for open looks while Tyus handles the ball and Oshae/Elijah/Marek attempt drives. Carey can’t shoot so he can’t be used in any sort of way similar to that.

If we ran a more modern offense and had better ball handlers at other positions, Jalen might have a better shot at success right now.

In recent games Frank has played more like he thinks he's a shooting guard, and he's not consistently a good enough shooter for that role. If that's all he can bring to the table, we're probably better off letting Tyus handle with Buddy at the 2.
Frank’s not a PG. He’s a better off guard, as he’s always been, but his shooting hasn’t been all that good this year. As a result, he has mostly brought very little to the table. If his shot was falling or if he could get into the lane at all, we wouldn’t be seeing him look so useless and losing as much PT as he has.

In recent games Frank has played more like he thinks he's a shooting guard, and he's not consistently a good enough shooter for that role. If that's all he can bring to the table, we're probably better off letting Tyus handle with Buddy at the 2.

Felt like all of Frank's shots were on line today, but mostly front of the rim short. He was fading on a couple, so that's not unexpected. But the consistently short feels like his legs aren't where he needs them to be. And him waiting until the clock is nearly expired doesn't help either.

As for Pascal, I really don't understand why anyone would think he could be helpful at any point. He got thrown around like the rag doll we assume Marek would be. He's not strong enough, athletic enough, or has enough basketball IQ to consistently contribute in a positive manner.

Supp,
You think Boeheim is a “bully?

Well, I don’t know what you definition of bullying is. It seems have been greatly expanded.

But I couldn’t be a fan of any program where I could describe the coach, the face of the program , as a “bully “.

Are you sure you are a fan? Maybe you just wandered on to this board by mistake.

Last edited:
See Carey shouldn’t be sent to Siberia.
The short leash killed the kids confidence.
Carey shouldn’t be getting starters minutes but from him to be so far off the bench and with Howard’s disengagement it has given Buddy those minutes out of necessity.
I don’t think Carey has gotten the leash that Buddy got.
Now Buddy has earned his minutes but what has happened with Carey is a shame.
I really wish that Carey got more confidence from the staff.
He has struggled but he has to feel like one mistake and he is done. That isn’t good.

Ridiculous post. Just complete nonsense spiced with amateur psychoanalysis attempted through a TV screen.

Carey is buried on the bench because that’s the position his play has earned.

Ridiculous post. Just complete nonsense spiced with amateur psychoanalysis attempted through a TV screen.

carey is arguably the most talented guard we have had since dion. it is always fair to question why that players talent is not being realized.

edit: you can blame the player, but isn't it just as easy to blame the coaching?

carey is arguably the most talented guard we have had since dion. it is always fair to question why that players talent is not being realized.

edit: you can blame the player, but isn't it just as easy to blame the coaching?

I’m not blaming anybody. There’s plenty of that on here now.

These games frequently turn on a few plays. You usually cannot have guys on the floor who screw up.

From what I have seen calling Carey the most talented since Dion is a long way from justified. I know what I have seen.

Your post is a joke. Newsflash you aren’t automatically right.
People can have subjective opinions.
Your response is so arrogant it deserves an even stronger response than this.
My god.

Your post is a joke. Newsflash you aren’t automatically right.
People can have subjective opinions.
Your response is so arrogant it deserves an even stronger response than this.
My god.

Subjective opinions? Subjective opinions?

Oh, I get it. That’s a euphemism for wild-assed guesses based on almost nothing.

I’m guessing you’ve been into the sauce pretty heavily? That’d be my subjective opinion.

There really is too much armchair psychoanalysis on the boards. Which reminds me..

Townie72 , with his attempted masculine avatar and strident yet anonymous posting, seems to be compensating for an inner sense of lacking in the same. And his overtly loyal defense of and admiration for Mr. Boeheim suggests a lingering subconscious craving for a strong father figure in his life.

And SWC75 appears to exhibit mild signs of Aspergers Syndrome, due to obsessive statistical...

Let me guess, you weren’t an English Major.

I’m not blaming anybody. There’s plenty of that on here now.

These games frequently turn on a few plays. You usually cannot have guys on the floor who screw up.

From what I have seen calling Carey the most talented since Dion is a long way from justified. I know what I have seen.
jalen carey is the most talented player on the team and anyone with two eyes (and probably most people with one eye) can see that. it is a coaching failure that this kid isnt playing more and that frank howard is. frank is not healthy and that point is undisputed on this board because the only other answer is that he is bad. there is no way to legitimize how much frank is playing, zero, compared to a more talented player in the wings. we will be lucky if jalen comes back.

jalen carey is the most talented player on the team and anyone with two eyes (and probably most people with one eye) can see that. it is a coaching failure that this kid isnt playing more and that frank howard is. frank is not healthy and that point is undisputed on this board because the only other answer is that he is bad. there is no way to legitimize how much frank is playing, zero, compared to a more talented player in the wings. we will be lucky if jalen comes back.

You are on to something. Could it be that Jimmy sub-consciously doesn’t want to win and this is just part of his secret plan to destroy the program?

Subjective opinions? Subjective opinions?

Oh, I get it. That’s a euphemism for wild-assed guesses based on almost nothing.

I’m guessing you’ve been into the sauce pretty heavily? That’d be my subjective opinion.

I am going to be nice here and tell you to put me on ignore as I am not going to get banned responding to your arrogance.

Thank you Mr. Carey.

maybe the old man is oddly loyal to upperclassmen to his own detriment?

Not the Boeheim I’ve been watching for 40 years. He wants to win every game. He might have learned through 1,040 wins to trust experienced players.

A couple of reasons -- because they have performed well in the past [most notably, Frank], because they are experienced veterans who have won / been contributors in big games against top flight teams, and because I expect seniors to perform better than to just be non-factors.

I wonder if Frank is disengaged -- it seems like as Buddy has ascended, Frank has descended to the point where if he isn't hitting shots, he isn't making any other contributions.
It feels a bit like a redux of his sophomore year when he thought he’d be the starting PG and then lost the job to John Gillon, and he didn’t handle it well at all and it seemed to psych him out to come off the bench—though he did improvea bit towards the end of that season. My understanding is that part of it was an abdominal injury he was dealing with, but def some of it was mental and a confidence issue. As a senior, there can be no excuses now. It’s time to get his head in the game and stop looking over his shoulder worrying that he’s going to get pulled for Buddy. He can’t perform like this as a senior. As you said, we need him down this stretch run.

Hopefully a little pine time lights a fire under him.
I hope so. We are going to need FH if we want to make a run so hopefully the coaches can get in his ear and like someone said earlier the realization that his career will be over in a few months can light a fire under him.

Strongly disagree. First jalen is not the most talented player on the team. Not even close. I think he has the most potential, but most talented? No way. He has a weak handle, plays way to fast and struggles to shoot. I don’t get why this is so hard for people to understand. He doesn’t get minutes because he doesn’t help the team when he’s in there. He looks lost out there and turns the ball over way to much and can’t run the offense. We can’t give him the trial by fire routine because we are in the heart of the acc schedule and need these games. His time will come it just isn’t this year. Buddy and jalen were both given the same opportunity to get into the rotation and earn minutes. Buddy has capitalized on that and jalen has not.
Frank on the other hand hasn’t been play well the last few games and has found a spot on the bench. Since he’s a senior and we know he can do it at this level he’ll be given the opportunity to snap out of his funk. When jalen starts earning his playing time he’ll play. It’s as simple as that. I like Carey a lot as a prospect but I don’t think he can help us at all this year, he needs time to learn as a pg and improve his jumper and decision making. Acc games are not the place for that.

When he came in as a freshman, he was a bouncy explosive athlete... that dude is gone and he plays like he has lead weights in his shorts.
He was never bouncy or explosive. Maybe in high school pre injury who knows.

Did anyone notice towards the end of the game JAB sitting next to FH on the bench with his arm around him. It's the softer side of JB. Kind of like when he was interacting with the fans who wanted Buddy to shoot. When does JB ever do that.

this is what he does when he realizes there is no point to being mean anymore. it's actually a bad sign for the player.

Agree and this is where I think the assistant coaches need to make some of their money. They need to help manage message, the player...hell even Boeheim. This is were Battle as a team leader also needs to share some wisdom. Really the program is not on steady enough legs from a recruiting standpoint to lose this young man in my opinion.
Agreed. He has tremendous upside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors