Frank and Chukwu were practically worthless out there | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Frank and Chukwu were practically worthless out there

Status
Not open for further replies.
See Carey shouldn’t be sent to Siberia.
The short leash killed the kids confidence.
Carey shouldn’t be getting starters minutes but from him to be so far off the bench and with Howard’s disengagement it has given Buddy those minutes out of necessity.
I don’t think Carey has gotten the leash that Buddy got.
Now Buddy has earned his minutes but what has happened with Carey is a shame.
I really wish that Carey got more confidence from the staff.
He has struggled but he has to feel like one mistake and he is done. That isn’t good.

You could argue it's continuation of Roberson to see a kid benched and the staff not give the guy the confidence to come back strong. Hopefully this doesn't become a trend going forward

Boeheim is a bully and some kids don't respond to that. Hopkins used to played good cop. Boeheim will have a hard time playing both roles. The assistants we have now are maybe too junior or too milquetoast to serve as a counterweight and keep these kids focused.

Give me a break with this Boeheim is a bully crap. The kid has Played poorly to put it mildly on a team that could lose to anyone any given night. We can afford to let him go out there and launch up airballs from three, turn it over and be a revolving door on D. JB is paid to win as many games as possible and to do that he parks Carey on the bench right next his senior center and PG who are also playing like trash.

Give me a break with this Boeheim is a bully crap. The kid has Played poorly to put it mildly on a team that could lose to anyone any given night. We can afford to let him go out there and launch up airballs from three, turn it over and be a revolving door on D. JB is paid to win as many games as possible and to do that he parks Carey on the bench right next his senior center and PG who are also playing like trash.
Jim Boeheim doesn’t have a filter and it gets him into unnecessary trouble.
Jim Boeheim defends comments on Tyler Roberson; Etan Thomas says it was wrong

Also when he ran his mouth and got sued by those guys.

Jim Boeheim is a HOF coach but he doesn’t care what he says publicly that isn’t necessarily a good thing.
Roberson didn’t deserve the comments he got. They weren’t motivating and were mean.
The player as long as they stay out of trouble don’t deserve being called out they don’t make millions of dollars.
Any good coach will always take the blame and never rip players publicly unless they do stuff that is wrong.
Look at how Dino handled the suspensions of Robinson and Williams.
Dino was disappointed but didn’t rip either player.

Jim Boeheim doesn’t have a filter and it gets him into unnecessary trouble.
Jim Boeheim defends comments on Tyler Roberson; Etan Thomas says it was wrong

Also when he ran his mouth and got sued by those guys.

Jim Boeheim is a HOF coach but he doesn’t care what he says publicly that isn’t necessarily a good thing.
Roberson didn’t deserve the comments he got. They weren’t motivating and were mean.
The player as long as they stay out of trouble don’t deserve being called out they don’t make millions of dollars.
Any good coach will always take the blame and never rip players publicly unless they do stuff that is wrong.
Look at how Dino handled the suspensions of Robinson and Williams.
Dino was disappointed but didn’t rip either player.
Jim has always admitted that he is extremely thin skinned. If you read his book its obvious that JB is like his Dad. Recently he made his kids take back their Christmas present to him.
I have never liked his handling of players in public. It is his worst trait.

Sorry, but hes kind of a bully and it doesnt help him. Theres no value add to negativity in the press conferences. Im a big jb fan but theres legit no argument for your position. You take the good with the bad though.

Sorry, but hes kind of a bully and it doesnt help him. Theres no value add to negativity in the press conferences. Im a big jb fan but theres legit no argument for your position. You take the good with the bad though.
You do have to to take the good with the bad but it's amazing how many fans want to drive JAB to the retirement home. They say they are Syracuse fans, but truly would replace the face of Syracuse basketball in a heart beat.

You do have to to take the good with the bad but it's amazing how many fans want to drive JAB to the retirement home. They say they are Syracuse fans, but truly would replace the face of Syracuse basketball in a heart beat.
All coaches have that warts.
Coach K and Belichick are sore losers.
Roy Williams can’t manage TOs.
Calipari is a used car salesman.

JB doesn’t care to have a filter.
JB is loyal to his people you can tell but he is a jerk to people he doesn’t need to be.
I understand that as I can do the same but I am not the face of an organization.

Jim is a good guy and has given so much to the community and his players. I just wish he would keep his criticism of them private.

All coaches have that warts.
Coach K and Belichick are sore losers.
Roy Williams can’t manage TOs.
Calipari is a used car salesman.

JB doesn’t care to have a filter.
JB is loyal to his people you can tell but he is a jerk to people he doesn’t need to be.
I understand that as I can do the same but I am not the face of an organization.
No one is saying he isn't any of that but that's his personality. It's not like it changed when he turned 70.

He's a legend obviously but he's not above criticism. Essentially the program now recruits long guards hoping to convert them to PG's and skinny big men with no offensive skill. I love JB but the biggest issue is that he surrounded himself with former guards and is not willing to change anything (offense is and has been atrocious for five years).

jalen carey is the most talented player on the team and anyone with two eyes (and probably most people with one eye) can see that. it is a coaching failure that this kid isnt playing more and that frank howard is. frank is not healthy and that point is undisputed on this board because the only other answer is that he is bad. there is no way to legitimize how much frank is playing, zero, compared to a more talented player in the wings. we will be lucky if jalen comes back.

Stop confusing athleticism with basketball talent. Carey’s nowhere near as good as a freshman as Ennis, Mali, or Battle were.

For some time, we have been hearing the real deal from JB. At the end of his career and secure in his position he has stepped completely away from the meaningless pap and “coach-speak” that we hear from just about every other coach.

Some of this may be a last ditch attempt to motivate players who seem immune to any other approach. But a lot of it is not wanting to play the game with the press anymore and having enough respect for the fan base and their basketball IQ to stand up there and feed them BS that every one with a brain knows is BS.

I think it’s great being treated like an adult and getting a straight opinion. I listen to every presser twice because of all the good information they usually contain.

Others —- the thin-skinned among us —-can’t stand anything critical of a player.

Amazingly those here that are most shocked and dismayed seem to have no problem identifying JB as a “bully”, as refusing to criticize his own son, as having squeezed Hop out of a job he was promised, as ruining the careers of players by “Boeheiming” them, and as being stupid, old-fashioned, and stubborn.

And when challenged on any of that, they scream bloody murder insisting it’s their right as fans to criticize anything the want to and that anyone who challenges them is a “syncophant”.

For some time, we have been hearing the real deal from JB. At the end of his career and secure in his position he has stepped completely away from the meaningless pap and “coach-speak” that we hear from just about every other coach.

Some of this may be a last ditch attempt to motivate players who seem immune to any other approach. But a lot of it is not wanting to play the game with the press anymore and having enough respect for the fan base and their basketball IQ to stand up there and feed them BS that every one with a brain knows is BS.

I think it’s great being treated like an adult and getting a straight opinion. I listen to every presser twice because of all the good information they usually contain.

Others —- the thin-skinned among us —-can’t stand anything critical of a player.

Amazingly those here that are most shocked and dismayed seem to have no problem identifying JB as a “bully”, as refusing to criticize his own son, as having squeezed Hop out of a job he was promised, as ruining the careers of players by “Boeheiming” them, and as being stupid, old-fashioned, and stubborn.

And when challenged on any of that, they scream bloody murder insisting it’s their right as fans to criticize anything the want to and that anyone who challenges them is a “syncophant”.
You are just as big a joke as the people you complain about.
You called people drunks for having opinions you disagreed with.
Unlike JB for running his mouth you won’t get sued for it.

Have I lost my mind with all the comments here? I’ve been a fan since the 80s, and JB has been calling out players in press conferences, when deserved, since the beginning. He literally yelled at Rony Seikaly all the time on the sidelines for his first 3 years. He clearly uses it as motivation to “prove him wrong.” He’s talked about this in his book. Whenever he got critiqued or criticized by his coaches or father, he said it just motivated him more to go out and prove them wrong. That’s one (but not the only one) of his approaches to motivating guys. He also knows that it’s a delicate balancing act, that it’s important not to break their confidence. He understands these issues and that every player is different, but def makes mistakes at times. If anything he’s probably gotten a bit softer in his old age. Derrick Coleman thinks so. He said Boeheim doesn’t yell nearly as much as he used to. Hop helped him to connect with his players more. I almost fell off the couch yesterday when I saw JB put his arm around a dejected Frank Howard on the bench at the end of the game. He truly cares about the kid and also knows that he needs Frank to emerge from his slump if we have any chance of making a post-season run.

Last edited:
It’s hard for me to believe that kids cannot handle bench time when it’s clearly a ‘path’ that may occur when 1) your an underclass man and 2) your not playing well

It’s like the majority of kids never think they will have to sit and wait their turn or prove they merit minutes. They just show up and expect to play.

I say this because of the speculation that Carey is leaving at seasons end. I just find that so bizarre. Use this as motivation to get better. Watch and learn. Listen to the coach and upper classmen. Don’t bail out at the first sign of difficulty. The grass is not always greener else where.

Disagree. Frank has been horrible on defense. His effort is lacking where Buddy is making plays on defense.

Do you know how many 3’s were made over Frank yesterday? Do you know how many were made over Buddy?

Do you?

Yes I do. Only saw a bit of the game yesterday due to my daughters game. So I rewatched it this morning (which I wouldn’t have done if we had lost). But I saw some of the posts last night when I got home but hadn’t seen the full game, so I kind of paid attention to that.

Yes I do. Only saw a bit of the game yesterday due to my daughters game. So I rewatched it this morning (which I wouldn’t have done if we had lost). But I saw some of the posts last night when I got home but hadn’t seen the full game, so I kind of paid attention to that.

And?

And?

Isn’t this kind of a useless statistic anyway? You would need some sort of way to describe each of the 3’s made first. Guys launching 24 footers ought not be pressured unless they have gotten exceptionally hot. Allowing 19 footers in rhythm unchallenged is a different thing. I would guess that Frank is laterally quicker than Buddy.

But if Buddy is even close to Frank in his 3pt defense, you have to look at how ineffective Frank has been and what BB’s 3pt shooting is worth.

As Tyus said after the game, defenses can’t leave Buddy and double me. He didn’t say it, but I heard “like they can Frank”.

Do you know how many 3’s were made over Frank yesterday? Do you know how many were made over Buddy?

I can't comment on Frank, but I saw three in the second half over Buddy. I've already listed the times of those in another post.

Isn’t this kind of a useless statistic anyway? You would need some sort of way to describe each of the 3’s made first. Guys launching 24 footers ought not be pressured unless they have gotten exceptionally hot. Allowing 19 footers in rhythm unchallenged is a different thing. I would guess that Frank is laterally quicker than Buddy.

But if Buddy is even close to Frank in his 3pt defense, you have to look at how ineffective Frank has been and what BB’s 3pt shooting is worth.

As Tyus said after the game, defenses can’t leave Buddy and double me. He didn’t say it, but I heard “like they can Frank”.

Yes. At best, it's an incomplete measure of anything. It's not the only thing that goes into how well a guard plays defense.

Buddy is not fast, not quick, but he makes up for some of that with smart positioning. He's improved a lot defensively.

And?

Frank 0
Buddy 4

And that’s not a condemnation of Buddy. Just a response to a specific comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom