Frank Anselem portal to Louisville | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Frank Anselem portal to Louisville

If Ballard is the backup plan this staff has lost their mind. The kid can’t play. This is the new normal. If you recruit developmental players they will leave once they get to the point they can play. You’re wasting your time.

I will say makes more sense to bring in a development portal guy than bringing one in as a frosh. At this point, if you don’t have PT for a freshman, you have to hope they stay, but expect them to leave.

Awww. That's too bad. We really could have used him next year. We would have been elite at center with a guy like him splitting time with Jesse and maybe even playing some corner forward on defense / high post on offense. Damn, this sucks.

Didn’t an insider already say we had a transfer replacement in mind who isn’t very good? I think it was dasher?

Seems like due to the current influx of transfers, we just use preexisting connections vs doing due diligence on every option.

Last year JB brought in his son, a guy who grew up here and a guy who we had heavily recruited and went to another northeastern school. On his radio show recently he said that they'd got to the portal if they lose someone unexpected. That should tell you what JB thinks of the portal and how he intends to use it. it's free agency. the High/Prep schools are the minor leagues.

Last year's portal guys were guys that scored 36 on North Carolina, 28 on Duke and had 20 assists in two ACCT games, a pretty good haul.

Last year JB brought in his son, a guy who grew up here and a guy who we had heavily recruited and went to another northeastern school. On his radio show recently he said that they'd got to the portal if they lose someone unexpected. That should tell you what JB thinks of the portal and how he intends to use it. it's free agency. the High/Prep schools are the minor leagues.

Last year's portal guys were guys that scored 36 on North Carolina, 28 on Duke and had 20 assists in two ACCT games, a pretty good haul.
16-17

JB didn’t bring in enough. Instead of trying to win next year and load up after a losing season we are playing the development game next year.
SWC you are a good poster but JB has done a terrible job managing the roster and the potential each season has gone down.

These rosters have been flawed and we just try to be decent enough to make the tournament.
Syracuse shouldn’t go 8 years without playing a conference home game as a ranked team.

Losing players like Ansalem suck.

That's ok, we can get players from the portal too... they just need to players that said no to us the first time around when we recruited them, which makes that list very short...

Who does that give us for center targets?

Ballard from Fla St?

Anyone else?
Anyone that can play any position

That should tell you what JB thinks of the portal and how he intends to use it. it's free agency. the High/Prep schools are the minor leagues.

Does your opinion change if the portal guy is Ballard?

It's why JB puts himself in a tough spot. He obviously can't promise Frank a starting role, which is probably what Frank wants.

But he demands so much from his centers in this zone lately that he can't rely on a lightly recruited freshman either. It will be the circle of life hearing him complain about Carey in his post game pressers.

I don't even know how a transfer solves it. Come here and play backup in a defense that demands more from you than you'd expect?
And then hear my wrath in press conferences and quick yanks off the floor!

Instead of trying to win next year and load up after a losing season we are playing the development game next year.
With respect to this statement, maybe it's not that JB isn't "trying to win" next year. Historically, nobody wants to win more than JB. Maybe, JB thinks he can and will win with the core group of returning players (now minus Frank), while also allowing the freshmen time to be "ready" and not have to worry about managing high end portal players who will want playing time.

To be clear, I think this reasoning is flawed. But, I also think it's more reasonable to assume that JB will roll with an iron 5 thinking HE can win with that group as opposed to assuming he is "trying not to win."

Jesse and Jimmy. I think that’s fairly obvious.

The portal will mostly hurt coaches like Boeheim who don’t play their bench.

Now Jesse played too much? Bottom line is he wants a lot more time and probably as a starter. He’s blocked by Jesse for at least a year.

Peter Carey is a better backup anyway
Here we go again thinking an unproven high school player who hasn't played one minute of college BB is better than an established college player who has shown he can be an adequate backup off the bench. We'll be starting all over with Carey, another project center, who has also played little I believe in the last 2 years because of COVID-19 cancels and an injury this year. I'd prefer Ballard if he doesn't mind being a backup.

If Ballard is the backup plan this staff has lost their mind. The kid can’t play. This is the new normal. If you recruit developmental players they will leave once they get to the point they can play. You’re wasting your time.
I don't think much of Ballard either, but who do you think we can bring in that's willing to be a designated back-up?

With respect to this statement, maybe it's not that JB isn't "trying to win" next year. Historically, nobody wants to win more than JB. Maybe, JB thinks he can and will win with the core group of returning players (now minus Frank), while also allowing the freshmen time to be "ready" and not have to worry about managing high end portal players who will want playing time.

To be clear, I think this reasoning is flawed. But, I also think it's more reasonable to assume that JB will roll with an iron 5 thinking HE can win with that group as opposed to assuming he is "trying not to win."
I didn’t say he isn’t trying to win.
I said it looks like a development year.

Just look at the situation. If Cole doesn’t come back we are in for a lot of hurt IMO. I would schedule as weakly as possible and just hope we get these kids confidence.

If we get Mintz and keep Cole then we could definitely be better than I see without them.

but who do you think we can bring in that's willing to be a designated back-up?
and that's part of the problem I think with JAB's system as it is these days. Positionless basketball or at least getting guys who can play more than one position. It's ok to run with 7-8 guys if they're all getting 25+ mpg. It's running with 7 guys and four getting 39 mpg while the other three scrap for a handful of minutes only to get thrown under the bus in the post-game that's not helping recruiting.

Ha, they were a net minus from the guys that left

I don't think much of Ballard either, but who do you think we can bring in that's willing to be a designated back-up?
Yep. Frank was probably our best case scenario for a backup 5. No good center from the portal is going to sign up for 10mpg. So that really means you’re only choices are an underclassmen with potential who is going up a few levels so he’s ok with sitting a year. Or, a guy like Ballard a backup P5 center. Either way, it’s 10 min max per game.

The possible plus here is if we can recruit a bigger 4 who is athletic to play the 4, but big/effective enough to play the 5 for 10-15mpg. We could have plenty of minutes available for that kind of guy if Cole leaves. That guy could probably get 25mpg between the 4 and 5

Playing time! JB said something!

Or any number of things. Speculation is seductive and we that fans are the winners of the portal era!

One thing is certain. The portal allows kids more freedom to do what they want. And that is good. Wishing you the best, Frank.

I know its 12 -13 years after the fact, but we did start Rick Jackson and Arinze Onuaku together back to back seasons. Neither one of them had forward skills.
I loved the old school low post games of Rick, a crafty lefty, and Arinze, a mountain of a man, who powered his way to the basket and would not be denied.

Last edited:
Here we go again thinking an unproven high school player who hasn't played one minute of college BB is better than an established college player who has shown he can be an adequate backup off the bench. We'll be starting all over with Carey, another project center, who has also played little I believe in the last 2 years because of COVID-19 cancels and an injury this year. I'd prefer Ballard if he doesn't mind being a backup.
Ballard can’t be anything but a backup no matter where he goes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom