Frank Howard deserves a lot of credit for this entire season | Syracusefan.com

Frank Howard deserves a lot of credit for this entire season

Alsacs

Living Legend
He shouldn’t get any criticism for this year.
The guy has played his ass off and earned a lot of respect for overcoming his past and really having a solid year and in my opinion has taken the leadership mantle.

When Frank hit his left hand on the drive with 6 minutes left he was in a ton of pain and still took the FTs and finished the game.

The guy takes a lot of crap but he has absolutely no doubt deserves credit.
His usage rate will make his shooting percentages lower but he should win most improved player in the ACC and is one of the top 15 players in the conference.

We may have zero depth, but if we make the tourney, we have two ingredients for a run.

Defense and Guard Play.

Tyus does have a mean step back...

The guy has played his ass off and earned a lot of respect for overcoming his past and really having a solid year and in my opinion has taken the leadership mantle.

When Frank hit his left hand on the drive with 6 minutes left he was in a ton of pain and still took the FTs and finished the game.

His usage rate will make his shooting percentages lower but he should win most improved player in the ACC and is one of the top 15 players in the conference.
I am team Frank 100%. Although there are a few instances of old Frank, new Frank has stepped up.

He has some flaws. but using "replacement value" he is so far ahead of any other options. This team would be terrible if he had to replaced, or if the Frank Howard version of 2016/2017 had shown up this year.

I think your post was spot on. Well said. He’s def turned a corner this year. He’s improved in almost every area of the game but most importantly is his attitude. He’s def grown up before our eyes. Looks like a mature man out there rather than the petulant child we saw last year. All props to him. Also props to the coaching staff, he was always a project and still has room to improve but to say he hasn’t developed would be incorrect imo.

I think your post was spot on. Well said. He’s def turned a corner this year. He’s improved in almost every area of the game but most importantly is his attitude. He’s def grown up before our eyes. Looks like a mature man out there rather than the petulant child we saw last year. All props to him. Also props to the coaching staff, he was always a project and still has room to improve but to say he hasn’t developed would be incorrect imo.

I've said it numerous times this year -- I don't think that FH is the player he's become this year without having to go through the crucible of last season, failing, losing his starting role, damn near hitting rock bottom , and deciding for himself to stick it out and work hard instead of quitting / transferring.

His attitude is night and day different from last year. Hats off to him. Frank his limitations, but he's improved a ton.

Sorry. He had a great game and has made huge improvement over last year but it isn't a free pass from criticism. He makes mistakes that look like carelessness to me. Until he puts together a string of games without those sorts of mistakes, he'll be open for criticism.

This time last year did you see yourself making this thread?

I agree with everything, just think its funny how quickly college athletes can turn it around and seemingly put their best foot forward

This time last year did you see yourself making this thread?

I agree with everything, just think its funny how quickly college athletes can turn it around and seemingly put their best foot forward
No and I gotta give Jim Boeheim credit in his extension PC after Hop he went all-in with Frank and hit doubled up.
Going all-in with Frank was going all in with suited face cards Q-J or K-J and he hit the hand.

No and I gotta give Jim Boeheim credit in his extension PC after Hop he went all-in with Frank and hit doubled up.
Going all-in with Frank was going all in with suited face cards Q-J or K-J and he hit the hand.

what about suited J-10? my fav poker hand pre-flop.

Sorry. He had a great game and has made huge improvement over last year but it isn't a free pass from criticism. He makes mistakes that look like carelessness to me. Until he puts together a string of games without those sorts of mistakes, he'll be open for criticism.

He, like every college player, is a work in progress not a finished product. Hardly any college players string together games where they don't make mistakes. It's an unrealistic bar for college players.

He, like every college player, is a work in progress not a finished product. Hardly any college players string together games where they don't make mistakes. It's an unrealistic bar for college players.
It's the carelessness that bothers me. I'm not expecting mistake-free basketball.

It's the carelessness that bothers me. I'm not expecting mistake-free basketball.
Frank certainly deserves some accolades and criticism as well. He did not come in as a polished lead guard. He is not an elite level ACC point guard. Unfortunately, it appears that is what we need in this league to finish near the top. We have been an ACC flop for the most part during the regular season and ACC tourney. Since Tyler left, we have been beatable by every other team in the league. That includes the bottom feeders.

PS >>>>WITHOUT FRANK HITTING HIS JUMPERS and making a few decent drives to the hoop, this team would be much, much worse.

IOW, until he reasonably approaches perfection he's on probation, per you. Noted.

Frank is not an elite level ACC point guard. Unfortunately, it appears that is what we need in this league to finish near the top.
I don't agree with this at all. The level at which Howard has played this season would absolutely be enough to finish near the top of the league and win it if had had more help around him. He's playing 3 on 5 on offense, and one of those three can't finish around the basket to save his life despite being 6-8 and muscular.

I wouldn't say he doesn't deserve any criticism and I wouldn't say he's a Top 15 player in the ACC.

But he does deserve a tremendous amount of praise for the improvement in his play and attitude, and I think everything else in your post is spot on.

IOW, until he reasonably approaches perfection he's on probation, per you. Noted.
Not even close! I don't know how to be clearer.

Speaks English as a second language. Noted. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Not even close! I don't know how to be clearer.

Speaks English as a second language. Noted. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I can't find a stat for carelessness other than perhaps turnovers. Since his 7 turnovers at UVA and 4 at FSU, Frank's got 1 vs Pitt, none vs BC, 3 at Pitt, 5 at GT, 2 vs UVA and 1 at Louisville. That's 12 total in the last 6 games or 2 per game. You want a string of carelessness-free games -- there's your string of carelessness-free games right there. The coaches complained about turnovers, he fixed it, at least so far.

I predict Frank will wind up being voted either Third Team All-ACC or Honorable Mention. I'll predict Honorable Mention. He's compiling high assist and PPG rates.

I wouldn't say he doesn't deserve any criticism and I wouldn't say he's a Top 15 player in the ACC.

But he does deserve a tremendous amount of praise for the improvement in his play and attitude, and I think everything else in your post is spot on.

i think every player deserves criticism but only when it is warranted, it also depends on the type of criticism, if your going to say he needs to be more careful with the ball or be more weary of picking up fouls when he is chasing someone down for a layup than stuff like that is warranted, i think its the over the top criticism ppl have issues with or ciritiszing him for events that have happened in the past when he was an underclassmen, I've said it a bunch before but the biggest improvement he's made is that he seems to have grown up

i think every player deserves criticism but only when it is warranted, it also depends on the type of criticism, if your going to say he needs to be more careful with the ball or be more weary of picking up fouls when he is chasing someone down for a layup than stuff like that is warranted, i think its the over the top criticism ppl have issues with or ciritiszing him for events that have happened in the past when he was an underclassmen, I've said it a bunch before but the biggest improvement he's made is that he seems to have grown up

I think he has made these strides to which you refer to various degrees. As far as maturing, in my view he has somewhat but there is still a lot of growth to be done. The technical foul against Georgia Tech cannot happen, the occasional finger-pointing at teammates cannot happen, the occasional lack of hustle after a turnover cannot happen. He also has lapses in judgment that are borne from a lack of maturity.

I agree Frank has improved leaps and bounds from last season and deserves credit for his efforts. I, however, think he would be better served playing shooting guard. IMO Frank is not really a starting point guard. I think he is playing out of position because that's what the team needs him to do. He does make too many careless turnovers. BUT, that's also a product of playing out of position, and never getting any rest.

I agree Frank has improved leaps and bounds from last season and deserves credit for his efforts. I, however, think he would be better served playing shooting guard. IMO Frank is not really a starting point guard. I think he is playing out of position because that's what the team needs him to do. He does make too many careless turnovers. BUT, that's also a product of playing out of position, and never getting any rest.

Agree. Next year he will play PG too; hopefully he will continue to make strides.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom