Frank Howard Update... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Frank Howard Update...

I like Buddy but I really worry about him getting major minutes at the 2 vs a team that will most likely press all game.

ditto for Carey.

Last edited:
Sustained a catastrophic knee injury last year, he's just at the point where he's approaching getting back to full mobility / being fully cleared to play now.

There's that, except he did play against Eastern Washington. Unless he had a physical set back in that game, I think the reality is that he's not good enough to play and isn't going to get minutes when they can be given to Carey, Buddy or even Hughes at guard. He slots somewhere just slightly ahead of Adrian Autry Jr on the depth chart.

If Frank plays, I would expect his O to be very rusty, but that his usage may well depend upon how much we might need his D. Frank has often struggled on O against small, quick guards, this would be a tough game for him to get his feet wet unless we need his D.

If Frank plays, I would expect his O to be very rusty, but that his usage may well depend upon how much we might need his D. Frank has often struggled on O against small, quick guards, this would be a tough game for him to get his feet wet unless we need his D.

Agreed. Let Frank rest tonight and continue to recover. He can work the rust out in practices, make his shot better, etc.. You do not want him in playing in the Garden unless JB thinks he can. Let Tyus play the one.

As I stated in the Oregon game thread, to continue to say that Frank Howard is the cure that will ail what has suddenly affected this SU team is such a lazy narrative.

As I stated in the Oregon game thread, to continue to say that Frank Howard is the cure that will ail what has suddenly affected this SU team is such a lazy narrative.
Nobody’s saying hes “the cure”

We’re just a much better team with him. If someone wants to make a frank howard thunderdome thread ill debate this for hours

Nobody’s saying hes “the cure”

We’re just a much better team with him. If someone wants to make a frank howard thunderdome thread ill debate this for hours

I will debate that we’re a MUCH better team with him. We’re a better team, sure, but he’s not some magic bullet.

We’re better. Not sure how much better. Not a dig on Frank at all. More the system. Defensively we are missing him more. That I can have faith in...the D. The offense I have zero faith in. Zero. It’s been a dumpster fire for awhile now.

We’re better. Not sure how much better. Not a dig on Frank at all. More the system. Defensively we are missing him more. That I can have faith in...the D. The offense I have zero faith in. Zero. It’s been a dumpster fire for awhile now.

Hoping Carey can provide some scoring off the bench when FH returns. We need some bench points badly.

They have this quote wrong. He said "I would've played Frank and Jalen together and moved Tyus down to the 3." I like that idea alot. Oshae the bricklayer deserved pine tonight.
Oshae prob wouldn't be the one riding pine, would prob push Hughes to the bench

Guys this is the same system, same players, with a couple of addtions. Doesn’t look like Tyus and Oshae have improved much. Frank will be rusty as fudge. Buddy ain’t going to see the court much so there goes that firepower some expected and Hughes is a decent player but TONS of teams have a Hughes on their rosters. The C position is comical for this level of college basketball. I mean we haven’t had a big you can dump it down to for a simple dunk, layup, or god forbid a post move since Rak left. We’re just not good offensively and we won’t be. The scheme is horrendous, there is little IQ out there, eroding of fundamentals, and lots of questionable skill, etc. I don’t see how we can beat UB and OSU. That McClung is gonna put Marek and co. on more posters. Teams know they can beat us and play with swagger and confidence.

Last edited:
it's not just frank, per se. it's the lack of any point guard during the prep for the season.

you get six weeks to practice before the start of the season. syracuse had zero healthy point guards during that period. a true freshman got healthy at the very end and thrown into the mix.

frank, at least, brought not only his own experience but experience with all the returning players.

i don't think it is remotely lazy to say that your offense is going to suffer when you don't get to install it with any point guards, let alone with your returning senior starter. quite the opposite, in fact.

Guys this is the same system, same players, with a couple of addtions. Doesn’t look like Tyus and Oshae have improved much. Frank will be rusty as fudge. Buddy ain’t going to see the court much so there goes that firepower some expected and Hughes is a decent player but TONS of teams have a Hughes on the roster. The C position is comical for this level of college basketball. We’re just not good offensively and we won’t be. The scheme is horrendous, there is little IQ out there, eroding of fundamentals, and lots of questionable skill, etc. I don’t see how we can beat UB and OSU. That McClung is gonna put Marek and co. on more posters. Teams know they can beat us and play with swagger and confidence.

That was a tough read but unfortunately I'm not sure your wrong.

it's not just frank, per se. it's the lack of any point guard during the prep for the season.

you get six weeks to practice before the start of the season. syracuse had zero healthy point guards during that period. a true freshman got healthy at the very end and thrown into the mix.

frank, at least, brought not only his own experience but experience with all the returning players.

i don't think it is remotely lazy to say that your offense is going to suffer when you don't get to install it with any point guards, let alone with your returning senior starter. quite the opposite, in fact.

So show me how Frank is going to fix the lack of effort that this team showed these last two games. How will he fix the defensive rebounding problems, or the fact that Oshae is suddenly auditioning for the NBA with all the deep balls he’s gunning away. How is he going to fix our centers having zero offensive game?

The problems with this team right now are far more than having Frank out of the lineup. Adding him does little, except slowing down the offense to a snail’s pace and limiting the number of possessions we have even more.

I look forward to bumping this thread and reminding you of this fact when Frank is back and it isn’t the magic bullet.

i think when a team does not have its full complement of guards, including all of its prospective points & the returning starter, for the entire preseason prep, it is reasonable to wait until the team has had time to incorporate them all before rendering judgement. that's why i keep saying i'll wait until december. been saying it since the ewu game.

I look forward to bumping this thread and reminding you of this fact when Frank is back and it isn’t the magic bullet.
you do? you look forward to that? that sounds like you'd rather see the team continue to play poorly so that you can be right. good to know

i think when a team does not have its full complement of guards, including all of its prospective points & the returning starter, for the entire preseason prep, it is reasonable to wait until the team has had time to incorporate them all before rendering judgement. that's why i keep saying i'll wait until december. been saying it since the ewu game.

you do? you look forward to that? that sounds like you'd rather see the team continue to play poorly so that you can be right. good to know

There’s a lot of that going on right now.

They have this quote wrong. He said "I would've played Frank and Jalen together and moved Tyus down to the 3." I like that idea alot. Oshae the bricklayer deserved pine tonight.
It’s bizarre that Jimmy says Oshae took good shots. His shot selection was mostly horrible, imo. Taking contested 3s from behind the NBA line with a 7’2” guy in your face? I hope the assistants point this out to him in the film room. Bad decisions.

I see way more ridiculous sky-is-falling lazy narratives on this board right now. As JB says, the guys have to play better. It’s that simple. And they are capable of it.

It’s bizarre that Jimmy says Oshae took good shots. His shot selection was mostly horrible, imo. Taking contested 3s from behind the NBA line with a 7’2” guy in your face? I hope the assistants point this out to him in the film room. Bad decisions.
I like JB protecting Oshae. Too many times he puts guys down in the media and it does no good. They were garbage shots and the staff will go over that with Brissett personally. No need to roast him in a post game presser.

Stop gaslighting and twisting my words around. I never said I WANTED the team to play badly. Stop trying to manipulate what I DID say to fit your own narrative.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom