Frank Howard | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Frank Howard

Frank reacts quite often to his team when he makes mistakes. I think he's a me first numbers guy. That said JB is clearly all in on him so no sense sweating it.

Frank reacts quite often to his team when he makes mistakes. I think he's a me first numbers guy. That said JB is clearly all in on him so no sense sweating it.
Some of the time I can understand it. Passes he made to Matt and Pascal that they weren't prepared to get that end up out of bounds.

Some of the time I can understand it. Passes he made to Matt and Pascal that they weren't prepared to get that end up out of bounds.

He will learn from those mistakes. He has to understand how other guys will respond to situations. Cutting to lane or stepping back to receive the pass is a tendency he will have to learn what they will do. I don't have problem with FH making a no-look pass. Sometimes those are required to make the pass at all.

FH had two okay games. If he has another stellar game next game against the dogs you all will be singing a different tune.

I worry more about Frank's attitude. Does he think he can make mistakes or is it always his teammates' fault? We've heard on a couple of occasions in the past that he was a difficult personality.
His handle is weak. He cant handle pressure. Thats why teams are running at him when he crosses half court.
Frank's numbers are pretty bad. 40% from the floor and 28% from 3. I'm not sure why those numbers will get better once ACC play starts. We better hope they do. I'm daring Frank to beat me if I'm an ACC coach.
Franklin also struggles to go to his left

And and and...Frank kills puppies in his spare time!!! Sheesh :rolleyes:

Not that Frank had an amazing game yesterday, but he had 18, 6, and 6 on 50% shooting. If we're really unhappy with that, we may never be satisfied with our pg.
yeah, true, but it's the 5 TO (4 in 1st half) that's the problem (and how he reacted after each of those TO's - can't have that in the PG/leader)

His handle is weak. He cant handle pressure. Thats why teams are running at him when he crosses half court.

Not what I've seen. He gets sped up and makes mistakes, which is why they pressure him, but the turnovers aren't caused by poor ballhandling. The signs of a poor ballhandler are picking the ball up early, getting stripped, not being able to get by the primary defender when he's overly aggressive. Frank doesn't struggle with any of these three things more than most good point guards. He struggles with decision making and passing. He dribbles well enough to get to the spots on the court that he needs to get to to make plays. His problem is that he doesn't always know the correct spot to get to and doesn't know what to do when he gets there.

I don't care that he gets criticized; he deserves the criticism, but I think it's misplaced to put the bulk of it on his physical abilities (ballhandling). I don't think it's a secret that his problems start and end with what's going on between his ears.

Not what I've seen. He gets sped up and makes mistakes, which is why they pressure him, but the turnovers aren't caused by poor ballhandling. The signs of a poor ballhandler are picking the ball up early, getting stripped, not being able to get by the primary defender when he's overly aggressive. Frank doesn't struggle with any of these three things more than most good point guards. He struggles with decision making and passing. He dribbles well enough to get to the spots on the court that he needs to get to to make plays. His problem is that he doesn't always know the correct spot to get to and doesn't know what to do when he gets there.

I don't care that he gets criticized; he deserves the criticism, but I think it's misplaced to put the bulk of it on his physical abilities (ballhandling). I don't think it's a secret that his problems start and end with what's going on between his ears.

It may not directly lead to turnovers but he’s picking up the dribble often/all over the floor and discomobulating the offense. That’s just a fact. He does struggle with primary defenders applying some pressure more than your typical good college PG. Are you watching these games? That seems very hard to dispute. Again, I agree the turnovers happen more like you say when he is deciding what to do in the paint or where to pass. Some of this is on his teammates it may seem but he is a very shaky lead guard, IMO. He just shouldn’t be in this position. I mean, what other coach/team is going to put him out there on a major-elite team to be the starting PG? We can only hope he improves since he’s not going anywhere but the guy makes me incredibly nervous.

Last edited:

I was traveling yesterday and was only able to listen to parts of the game. So I watched it this morning having the advantage of having read the board and all these Frank posts. Many of the things I read didn’t happen or were greatly exaggerated. None of the turnovers were due to a “loose handle”. One was a travel. A couple were passes and a lack of communication. Only on one did he show frustration when Moyer didn’t do something. The first turnover when he thought Moyer was going to zig when he zagged, Frank immediately pointed to himself. The others didn’t involve teammates. As to getting out on 3 point shooters, people may want to watch the game over. It happened once...maybe.

It may not directly lead to turnovers but he’s picking up the dribble all the time/all over the floor and discomobulating the offense. That’s just a fact. He does struggle with primary defenders applying some pressure more than your typical good college PG. Are you watching these games? That seems very hard to dispute. Again, I agree the turnovers happen more like you say when he is deciding what to do in the paint or where to pass. Some of this is on his teammates it may seem but he is a very shaky lead guard, IMO. He just shouldn’t be in this position. I mean, what other coach/team is going to put him out there on a major-elite team to be the starting PG? We can only hope he improves since he’s not going anywhere but the guy makes me incredibly nervous.
I agree, he’s definitely not the answer to lead us deep into the tournament. He has too many What moments to go along with mental errors. With Carey coming in next year even if he’s better and knowing how JB does stuff he will keep Frank the pg because of his experience . The only thing that will remove him as pg is some major on or off the court.

It may not directly lead to turnovers but he’s picking up the dribble often/all over the floor and discomobulating the offense. That’s just a fact. He does struggle with primary defenders applying some pressure more than your typical good college PG. Are you watching these games? That seems very hard to dispute. Again, I agree the turnovers happen more like you say when he is deciding what to do in the paint or where to pass. Some of this is on his teammates it may seem but he is a very shaky lead guard, IMO. He just shouldn’t be in this position. I mean, what other coach/team is going to put him out there on a major-elite team to be the starting PG? We can only hope he improves since he’s not going anywhere but the guy makes me incredibly nervous.

I just watched the game an hour ago. I didn’t see him picking up his dribble all over the court. I’m not sure I saw that once and discombobulating the offense.

I agree, he’s definitely not the answer to lead us deep into the tournament. He has too many What moments to go along with mental errors. With Carey coming in next year even if he’s better and knowing how JB does stuff he will keep Frank the pg because of his experience . The only thing that will remove him as pg is some major on or off the court.

Carey isn’t a PG. He’s going to step in for battle at the 2G. I saw a few of Careys AAU games streamed this summer and he had maybe 1 assist in the 3 I saw. He’s got a handle to create his own shot and/or penetrate but he’s not the distributor type guard. He’s very much like Battle or a Waiters. He’ll be a great replacement for Tyus.

I just watched the game an hour ago. I didn’t see him picking up his dribble all over the court. I’m not sure I saw that once and discombobulating the offense.

I’ll give you a couple of possessions/exact times where that happened later on in the day. I planned to do that today. Definitely in other games the problem was magnified way more since Colgate barely guarded him. But this discombobulating issue has happened in almost every game regardless of the final score.

I’ll give you a couple of possessions/exact times where that happened later on in the day. I planned to do that today. Definitely in other games the problem was magnified way more since Colgate barely guarded him. But this discombobulating issue has happened in almost every game regardless of the final score.

Having played 9 games, you should be able to find several dozen if it’s happening all the time. 1-2 aren’t going to convince me at all since it’s not anything that strikes me as commonplace.

FWIW JB blamed at least one of Franks turnovers where he was frustrated on Moyer as well.

I was traveling yesterday and was only able to listen to parts of the game. So I watched it this morning having the advantage of having read the board and all these Frank posts. Many of the things I read didn’t happen or were greatly exaggerated. None of the turnovers were due to a “loose handle”. One was a travel. A couple were passes and a lack of communication. Only on one did he show frustration when Moyer didn’t do something. The first turnover when he thought Moyer was going to zig when he zagged, Frank immediately pointed to himself. The others didn’t involve teammates. As to getting out on 3 point shooters, people may want to watch the game over. It happened once...maybe.
This^^
I'm not saying FH isn't a limited PG, but reading some of these comments you'd think he's a total e ffin disaster, AND a lost cause!
After how badly he looked and behaved last year, I think some fans are suffering a kinda Frank Howard PTSD.
But lets give the kid some credit for being a better player this year, and again, I put my faith in JB's take on this issue, rather than the hyperventilating common to our fanbase. JMHO

Carey isn’t a PG. He’s going to step in for battle at the 2G. I saw a few of Careys AAU games streamed this summer and he had maybe 1 assist in the 3 I saw. He’s got a handle to create his own shot and/or penetrate but he’s not the distributor type guard. He’s very much like Battle or a Waiters. He’ll be a great replacement for Tyus.
I thought Hughes was replacing Battle at SG? The forward spots will be filled with Bazeley and Brissett.

Frank’s not a pg either.

I thought Hughes was replacing Battle at SG? The forward spots will be filled with Bazeley and Brissett.

I didn’t say that. IMO Hughes will be the sub that comes in for the 2 or 3 and play decent mins.

FWIW JB blamed at least one of Franks turnovers where he was frustrated on Moyer as well.
I think for this team to be successful our PG needs to get all the other players involved. Not just two of them. That being said, when Frank has the ball, they all need to be ready at all times.

I agree with this, Hughes for Battle's spot. I'm guessing that Carey will play PG next year. Frank could get time at either G spot, but I think Carey will be his primary competition next season. Hughes is big enough and strong enough to slide to 3 if JB goes with 3 guards. But I doubt Baze will ever come off the court, and Brissett is already a 38+ minute man this season.

I think for this team to be successful our PG needs to get all the other players involved. Not just two of them. That being said, when Frank has the ball, they all need to be ready at all times.

I agree. I think the Frank criticism is getting to be a bit excessive though to the point people want him to screw up just so they can criticize. He’s done more at this point in his career than Mike Gbinije did. Gbinije didn’t start playing well until the second half of his junior season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom