Frank tidbit | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Frank tidbit

Frank also plays 47 minutes a game.

He's much better. He also drives me insane with his decision making. One handed pass off the bounce to get it over half court with 2 mins left when we want to eat up clock, 10 foot floater with 20 on shot clock with 3 or so mins left. You do that stuff against a good team in crunch time, you lose. Like in the tourney.

I don't know whether it's players or coaches or both but our situational basketball lacks discipline. As happy as I am with Frank's improvement, those mistakes were glaring today.

Frank also plays 47 minutes a game.

He's much better. He also drives me insane with his decision making. One handed pass off the bounce to get it over half court with 2 mins left when we want to eat up clock, 10 foot floater with 20 on shot clock with 3 or so mins left. You do that stuff against a good team in crunch time, you lose. Like in the tourney.

I don't know whether it's players or coaches or both but our situational basketball lacks discipline. As happy as I am with Frank's improvement, those mistakes were glaring today.

That one handed pass just blew my mind.

That one handed pass just blew my mind.

Fouling the three point shooter that Marek had contested really well was the other mind-blowingly dumb decision that Frank made tonight. Honestly, I'm not sure if he gets careless, tired, or what.

That play with Tyus and Franklin waving each other off like neither really wanted the ball was so odd as well.

it took me more than half a season to realize that Frank is driving the bus.
51240030.jpg

Frank is averaging 15.7 points, 5.5 assists, 3.5 rebounds and 2 steals per game. He is one of only four players in the country averaging at least 15.5 points, 5 assists, 3.5 rebounds and 2 steals per game.

Who are the other three?

Trae Young, Devonte Graham, and Jevon Carter

Pretty good company.
Actually, if you want to include Graham (more a bit later), there are 6 (not ranked in any particular order):
  1. Frank
  2. Jevon Carter (WVFU)
  3. Trae Young (OK)
  4. Tyree Griffin (So. Miss)
  5. Tremont Waters (LSU)
  6. Devonte Graham (KS)
These are according to NCAA statistics with yesterday's games not included. By my quick eye-ball check, 1-5 on the list still meet the 15.5/5/3.5/2 criteria. Going into yesterday, Graham rounded up to 2 steals, but actually had 1.95/game. Nit-picking, I know. If you include yesterday, where he had 0 steals, that drops to 1.86.

So there appear to be either 5 or 6 (whether you round or not). Either way, 1) it is a very elite club, and 2) Frank is in good company.

Actually, if you want to include Graham (more a bit later), there are 6 (not ranked in any particular order):
  1. Frank
  2. Jevon Carter (WVFU)
  3. Trae Young (OK)
  4. Tyree Griffin (So. Miss)
  5. Tremont Waters (LSU)
  6. Devonte Graham (KS)
These are according to NCAA statistics with yesterday's games not included. By my quick eye-ball check, 1-5 on the list still meet the 15.5/5/3.5/2 criteria. Going into yesterday, Graham rounded up to 2 steals, but actually had 1.95/game. Nit-picking, I know. If you include yesterday, where he had 0 steals, that drops to 1.86.

So there appear to be either 5 or 6 (whether you round or not). Either way, 1) it is a very elite club, and 2) Frank is in good company.

All 6 are also shooting 36% or better from 3. Frank deserves a ton of credit for improving his 3 pt shooting.

And not looking over his shoulder for a quick hook when he makes a mistake.

Frank should have been given a full chance to develop last year or even the year before.

Loved Gillon but more of an investment in Frank's development was probably needed last year.

Rak and Frank. Two players whos development should have surprised NO ONE.

Frank has been great...far exceeding expectations.

But he really needs to recognize game situations better. He still gives me the heebeegeebees against pressure in tight ball games.

His one handed lazy pass into a double team at mid court against the Pitt pressure yesterday is a reminder that he still has much development to make.

You simply can't make that kind of non-fundamental play in a critical possession. Can't can't can't.

Until he stops making those kind of plays, fans are never going to rest easy with him running the show.

Frank has been great...far exceeding expectations.

But he really needs to recognize game situations better. He still gives me the heebeegeebees against pressure in tight ball games.

His one handed lazy pass into a double team at mid court against the Pitt pressure yesterday is a reminder that he still has much development to make.

You simply can't make that kind of non-fundamental play in a critical possession. Can't can't can't.

Until he stops making those kind of plays, fans are never going to rest easy with him running the show.

100%! And, if I'm the opponent, a big part of my game plan would be constant ball pressure on Frank. Along with his high and somewhat shaky handle, he also has the tendency to push off a lot when under pressure/duress, where opponents can get the charge call.

Frank should have been given a full chance to develop last year or even the year before.

Loved Gillon but more of an investment in Frank's development was probably needed last year.

Strongly disagree. Last year he was simply unplayable, at least until the injury was revealed. He had plenty of chances. His play on the court and attitude didn’t merit ANY court time. He was an instant liability once ACC play came, IMO. Gillon was the only option and JB said that himself in a presser around this time last year.

Strongly disagree. Last year he was simply unplayable, at least until the injury was revealed. He had plenty of chances. His play on the court and attitude didn’t merit ANY court time. He was an instant liability once ACC play came, IMO. Gillon was the only option and JB said that himself in a presser around this time last year.

Understood. That isn't how I viewed it.

Clearly John Gillon was a short-term, stop gap measure.

And, in today's college game, that's how things are done a lot of the time - I get that.

I just felt that the program would have been better in the long run had JB stuck with Frank through the mistakes and poor play.

There are some players who just need to play and who don't react well to the yelling and screaming over every mistake.

My sense is that Frank is that kind of player.

Just my opinion.

And, in today's college game, that's how things are done a lot of the time - I get that.

I just felt that the program would have been better in the long run had JB stuck with Frank through the mistakes and poor play.

There are some players who just need to play and who don't react well to the yelling and screaming over every mistake.

Just my opinion.
Agree 100% i think that the dysfunction coaching situation last year had more to do with our problems then we know.

Just my opinion.
Howard was lost last season mentally, and as it turned out, physically. Effectively shutting him down and going with Gillon was the proper (and only) choice, as he was a huge contributor in many ACC wins. You don't sacrifice a season to appease or develop a player. That the staff didn't lose Howard for good is a credit to them.

Just my opinion.

I can understand that. I think had JB not made all that preseason hype/accolades then there would’ve been less pressure to win now. Also, AW didn’t come here to play in the NIT. Oh well. He had no choice. You can’t put him in there with the kinds of mistakes he was making. It was a ch!t show.

He has improved a lot especially shooting-wise. He still makes many of the same boneheaded mistakes and I don’t think his handle has improved that much. He’s not going to become any quicker. There is ZERO doubt in my mind that if JB had a better option then that guy would be playing more.

I can understand that. I think had JB not made all that preseason hype/accolades then there would’ve been less pressure to win now. Also, AW didn’t come here to play in the NIT. Oh well. He had no choice. You can’t put him in there with the kinds of mistakes he was making. It was a ch!t show.

He has improved a lot especially shooting-wise. He still makes many of the same boneheaded mistakes and I don’t think his handle has improved that much. He’s not going to become any quicker. There is ZERO doubt in my mind that if JB had a better option then that guy would be playing more.

There is no doubt that he makes mistakes. It can be maddening to watch.

I just feel that he has talent and would be farther along had he played more over the two previous years.

I like him and I would have invested in him earlier than JB did.

Howard was lost last season mentally, and as it turned out, physically. Effectively shutting him down and going with Gillon was the proper (and only) choice, as he was a huge contributor in many ACC wins. You don't sacrifice a season to appease or develop a player. That the staff didn't lose Howard for good is a credit to them.
Agree -- and Howard worked on his game in practice and over the off-season. JB went with the better player (Gillon), and Frank made himself better to be ready the next season. Nothing wrong with that.

Agree -- and Howard worked on his game in practice and over the off-season. JB went with the better player (Gillon), and Frank made himself better to be ready the next season. Nothing wrong with that.
Absolutely. Howard deserves credit for not bailing, working hard to improve his game and attitude, and taking advantage of his second chance. It's working out for all concerned.

Define "better option". Even allowing for the occasional bone-headed play, Howard is carrying this team (along with Battle). If JB had better options to fill out his rotation ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom